Turner calling out Lombardi?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Turner calling out Lombardi?

Sounds like a legitimate gripe.  

Offensive coordinator Norv Turner spoke up when Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner talked to the coaching staff Monday about the firing of coach Rob Chudzinski, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Whether it was a challenge or a calm question seems a matter of interpretation. Two sources said Turner was angry and spoke that way, another said he simply stated his concerns as part of a routine discussion that takes place when such moves are made.

One And Done

Rob Chudzinski's firing marks the third straight season in which a team has changed head coaches after only one full season on the job.

CoachMike Mularkey2012 JaguarsHue Jackson2011 RaidersJim Mora2009 SeahawksCam Cameron2007 DolphinsArt Shell *2006 Raiders  * Second stint with team

-- ESPN Stats & Information

Either way, Turner clearly asked why the staff was told the plan was for a long-term rebuild when the commitment from the front office didn't last a year. Turner also detailed his concern that the coaching staff worked with handicaps given the personnel on the field, the sources said.

Among his points were that the staff was told repeatedly the team was building for 2014, that the running back situation was never solved after the trade of Trent Richardson, the roster was constantly juggled, and the team fired a coach after he had to start three different quarterbacks.

The discussion followed Haslam laying out the thinking behind the firing of Chudzinski, which led to questions about the long-term plan for the team. A few seconds of calm followed, and Haslam asked if there were more questions.

Turner then spoke, and brought up the long-term plan and why the coaching staff would not be allowed to see it through. The implication was that coaches felt they went along with decisions all season that pointed to a committed rebuild, then had the lack of success in 2013 used against them.

Haslam and Banner explained the decision the same way they did to the media: The lack of progress late in the season was a downward trajectory the front office did not accept.

Sources said Turner did a slow boil throughout the season at the talent the coaches were given. That Chudzinski was fired given those limits prompted him to speak up.

Turner has been an NFL coach for 30 years, for 14 as a head coach with the Washington Redskins, San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders.

He is not expected to stay with the Browns. Banner said the team would allow all the assistants to seek other jobs and that the new hire would determine his staff. 

The Browns have started the process of replacing Chudzinski. 

Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles has agreed to interview with the Browns, a source tells ESPN's John Clayton.

The Browns, Detroit Lions and Minnesota Vikings are interested in interviewing Bowles. According to the source, Bowles will interview sometime later in the week with the Browns.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Re: Turner calling out Lombardi?

Not a big fan of Turner but I have to agree with him on this. One year is not enough. If the Browns recover that onsides kick Chudzinski probably still has a job.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The Browns are rebuilding. The Browns are kicking the can down the road for a better HC than what was available.

My personal guess is that they wanted "The Chin" ... but he is still in the booth. Now they are going year to year.

Of course you don't hire a HC for a one year appointment by telling him that ... you'll get a terrible pool of applicants and lose fans, and in any case ... the media would get wind of it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

Bad juju in Brownie land...the owner also has mucho legal problems with the feds...it's a very unstable situation...a large gaurenteed contract will be asked for by anyone wanting to take that job...what a fiasco...but Norv Turner is used T Paper...lol...he's wealthy, I'm sure. I'll save my tears for the fired HC!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

I heard that the front office was dissapointed in the lack of leadership and  team discipline from Chud. Trading Trent Richardson probably didnt really hurt the Browns in 13', he is a totally average RB. 

They lost their last 7 games or so and didnt look to give as much effort after the Patriots game. 

I'm sure McDaniels is high on Lombardis list. Cowher has been out of the game for way too long. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Clearly this is about brandon weeden.  Lombardi does not like weeden.  

[/QUOTE]

it is about Jason Campbell. Lombo and Chud wanted to play some one else for development, even Alex Tanny, or sign McElroy for development, or play Weeden to build some equity to move him. but Haslem and Banner over ruled Lombo and Chud to play Campbell.

Things arent kosher in Brownieville, and I think Lombo is not long there either...2-3 years tops. might make Josh think twice

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I, too, am not a big Norv Turner fan but this whole situation reeks of a franchise in disarray.  For a variety of reasons, I truly hope Josh McD takes a pass if he's offered the HC job in Cleveland.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

2 things impressed me about the Browns when they played us. 1) was their Defense 2) OL
    They are 1 good Draft away from being taken seriously.
    Lombardi is getting ready for this Draft, and he is going to bring in his man to Coach team. I also feel they cannot afford to lose picks, especially high Picks, so if compensation is required for McDaniels, Lombardi should look in another direction.

Charlie Weis?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I still wonder how the Browns would have fared had Brian Hoyer (3-0) not gotten injured.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Alledgedly Chud wasn't a burnout candidate, which you have to be in today's NFL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Trade McD for Turner...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Banner calls the shots there, he has the ear of the owner. Not Lombardi. It's dysfunction junction.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Banner calls the shots there, he has the ear of the owner. Not Lombardi. It's dysfunction junction.

[/QUOTE]

Correct, and the fans have the ear of the owner. He will cave to public opinion rather than do the right thing. 

Harlem and Banner vs Lombardi and Chud, and now Chud is gone, and Turner is talking. Not a good situation, yet again in Cleve

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Turner made for a terrible head coach, but he has always been a heck of an offensive coordinator.  If by some chance McDaniels leaves to be a head coach elsewhere, Norv wouldn't be a bad guy to consider, even though I don't think they would.

I'm sure he is the kind that would want to install a whole new offensive system etc which won't happen.  I'd take Weis back in a heartbeat though...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Bottom line is the Browns hired a snake oil salesman as their GM. If you look up in the dictionary "has done nothing his entire career and is a fraud" there is a picture of Mike Lombardi.

This guy spent ten years advising Al Davis on college and pro player evaluations...how did that go?? The Raiders were a laughing stock while he was there. He has no coaching experience. He has no pro playing experience. He knows the salary cap. He was a scout...and now he is in control of an entire organization? LOL! Rusty likes to brag that Belichick and him were tight....truth is they didn't talk for ten years until recently.

Any GM that takes a job and fires the head coach....then hires another one...then fires him after one season is not sending a good message. This is what it's saying, it's saying I didn't know what I was doing when I hired that first guy, it's saying I didn't know why I was firing that first coach, it's saying I'm impatient, I'm in over my head, it's saying I can't be trusted, It's saying I'm meddling in coaching matters when I should just let him do his job while I get him players, and it's saying I'm on my way to being fired where I can go back to draft coverage and tell the world that Mallett is a top 15 pick when he went in the third round.

If this guy hires Josh McDanials he should be fired right on the spot. Maybe Lombardi is dumb enough to trade a first for Mallett after all??

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

With JMcD as their first choice as their next HC, Norv Turner might as well submit his resignation in now, and save himself any more headaches. Because if there is one thing we've learned about JMcD he isn't about to let Norv control the offense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

If mcd goes to the brownies, norv will go to miami imo. 

However, I think McD stays with the Pats and inherits this Patriots team from BB in 2 years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Big thing I keep hearing is he and his family is from Ohio. Never know.