two areas that needs improving to have success the rest of the way

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

two areas that needs improving to have success the rest of the way

to have a great second half of the season the pats will need to run the ball well,and stopping the run,two areas they have struggled this year.unless they do this,there wont be any sure wins,they will be close,and down to the wire.these are games i hate,for they make me go into cardiac arrest.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Re: two areas that needs improving to have success the rest of the way

I totally agree. Plus I would add a more consistant pass rush to that list.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to two areas that needs improving to have success the rest of the way:
    [QUOTE]to have a great second half of the season the pats will need to run the ball well,and stopping the run,two areas they have struggled this year.unless they do this,there wont be any sure wins,they will be close,and down to the wire.these are games i hate,for they make me go into cardiac arrest.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. I do think we will be successful at stopping the run but I do worry about our entire run scheme. We have had almost no success at opening any holes for our rb squad(barring the titans game). Taylor had to bull his way through d-lines to acquire his yards and Morris somewhat the same and look at what has happened to them as a result.

I hope Maroney does not listen to the posters on this board and try and become a Taylor style back because he will surely be injured with the other two. Unfortunately our line is not getting the job done in the run game because I think we could all agree if they were then Maroney would be breaking off big runs often. Regardless we have to improve otherwise this offense is becoming 2007 all over again and we all know where that gets us come playoff time. You have to run the ball in December and January. I hope we can do it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: two areas that needs improving to have success the rest of the way:
    [QUOTE]In Response to two areas that needs improving to have success the rest of the way : I agree 100%. I do think we will be successful at stopping the run but I do worry about our entire run scheme. We have had almost no success at opening any holes for our rb squad(barring the titans game). Taylor had to bull his way through d-lines to acquire his yards and Morris somewhat the same and look at what has happened to them as a result. I hope Maroney does not listen to the posters on this board and try and become a Taylor style back because he will surely be injured with the other two. Unfortunately our line is not getting the job done in the run game because I think we could all agree if they were then Maroney would be breaking off big runs often. Regardless we have to improve otherwise this offense is becoming 2007 all over again and we all know where that gets us come playoff time. You have to run the ball in December and January. I hope we can do it!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE] I agree,and i think the pats staff is thinking that.i guess they brought maurice morris in for a look see.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1209264&format=text

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I have to believe that BB knows this and that they have been working on this during the bye week. 

Aside from indy, pats play miami twice, jets and saints.  All some of the best teams in the NFL in rushing offense.

It will be entirely up to the players to make tackles and fill holes.

The same goes for the run game.  BB will have them running more. 

Statistice wise, they have been a pretty balanced offense, but they have not been to effective.  I think the O-Line will start to open some holes and get these guys going.

As good as Brady & Co. are they need to establish a pretty solid rush attack.  At the least 110ypg. 

Get opposing Dfense to respect the run and Brady will destroy the secondary.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

In Response to Re: two areas that needs improving to have success the rest of the way:
    [QUOTE]I have to believe that BB knows this and that they have been working on this during the bye week.  Aside from indy, pats play miami twice, jets and saints.  All some of the best teams in the NFL in rushing offense. It will be entirely up to the players to make tackles and fill holes. The same goes for the run game.  BB will have them running more.  Statistice wise, they have been a pretty balanced offense, but they have not been to effective.  I think the O-Line will start to open some holes and get these guys going. As good as Brady & Co. are they need to establish a pretty solid rush attack.  At the least 110ypg.  Get opposing Dfense to respect the run and Brady will destroy the secondary.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx[/QUOTE]

I agree the run game hasn't been there this year. But to have at least 110ypg the Pats would need to run for 5 yards less a game. They currently stand at 115ypg. I would like to see the Pats run the ball consistently well early on in the game to setup play action earlier. Have no facts to back it up but I assume a lot of the yards come at the end of games where we are trying to run the clock out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

We haven't had a running game that scares anyone since Corey Dillon. We have to face the fact that the maroney experiment just didn't work, cut our losses and move on.

Instead of starting each year with a collection of other teams' washed-up, has-been RBs, we need to roll the dice again and draft a solid, dependable feature back high in the first round in 2010.  

On the defensive side, we need another run stopping ILB, in the ted johnson mode, to play alongside mayo and we need to pay fork.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: two areas that needs improving to have success the rest of the way : I agree the run game hasn't been there this year. But to have at least 110ypg the Pats would need to run for 5 yards less a game. They currently stand at 115ypg. I would like to see the Pats run the ball consistently well early on in the game to setup play action earlier. Have no facts to back it up but I assume a lot of the yards come at the end of games where we are trying to run the clock out.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan[/QUOTE]

I guess the 110ypg would be a setback....115ypg is good...i thought they where avg just over 100ypg.

I do think that some of its exaggerated due to the blow out games and all the rushing at the end of the games.

well I set a new mark at 125ypg....hahaha...but for real...if they are avg 115ypg then they need to do more imo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

but thats also by committe,which really isnt a great average.2,or 3 backs totaling 115 yrds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

All good points. 

Bottom line, this is a rebuilding team.  A very good rebuilding team, but a rebuilding team nonetheless.  They will make the play-offs and get eliminated in the first or second round.  We should not get our hopes too high for this year.

With that in mind, I think they have to look at some upgrades to the line in the off-season.  Volmer looks like a step in the right direction, but they will need more.  Mankins is not getting it done.  Light gets beat by very good edge rushers. And they miss having a FB like Heath Evans. 

As for Maroney, I think he still has value, bu not as a #1 pure RB.  He pass blocks very well. He catches well.  He runs well int he open.  With Faulk finally, apparently losing his game a bit, I see Maroney as his heir apparent.  Which means he will have to accept being paid on the econmonical side. 

It may seem the time for them to try draft a serious stud in 2010, but something tells me they will wait to draft a stud RB with that 2011 #1 from Oakland, when they expect a cap on rookie contracts.  This would help a likely diminishing Brady by 2012.

What I don't want to see is the Pats giving up picks to get a guy for this season, maybe not work out, and not have that pick for a position next year.  Looks like they will have to comb the scrap heap again and hope they find a diamond..or at least a topaz.

So I guess that leaves the Pats looking next year for another bargain like Moss, Stallworth, Gaffney, but at RB.  They will might need to replace Taylor, Morris and Faulk.  Taylor and Morris are injury-prone. Faulk has been very quiet this season when he should be able to make some noise with Taylor and Morris out.  We should not expect him to not further decline next year.

So if you think this year's running game creates a challenges, just wait until next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Ummm...wait...if they grab a scrap heap guy and he is a vet, is there even a way they surrender a pick. I don't quite understand how compensatory draft picks work. Can anybody edify me?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

In Response to two areas that needs improving to have success the rest of the way:
    [QUOTE]to have a great second half of the season the pats will need to run the ball well,and stopping the run,two areas they have struggled this year.unless they do this,there wont be any sure wins,they will be close,and down to the wire.these are games i hate,for they make me go into cardiac arrest.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more mosseffect. Would like to see a little more balance in the offensive attack. Plus see our D take away the run early in games. Next week should be a good test.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We need a consistent pass rush as well. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]All good points.  Bottom line, this is a rebuilding team.  A very good rebuilding team, but a rebuilding team nonetheless.  They will make the play-offs and get eliminated in the first or second round.  We should not get our hopes too high for this year. With that in mind, I think they have to look at some upgrades to the line in the off-season.  Volmer looks like a step in the right direction, but they will need more.  Mankins is not getting it done.  Light gets beat by very good edge rushers. And they miss having a FB like Heath Evans.  As for Maroney, I think he still has value, bu not as a #1 pure RB.  He pass blocks very well. He catches well.  He runs well int he open.  With Faulk finally, apparently losing his game a bit, I see Maroney as his heir apparent.  Which means he will have to accept being paid on the econmonical side.  It may seem the time for them to try draft a serious stud in 2010, but something tells me they will wait to draft a stud RB with that 2011 #1 from Oakland, when they expect a cap on rookie contracts.  This would help a likely diminishing Brady by 2012. What I don't want to see is the Pats giving up picks to get a guy for this season, maybe not work out, and not have that pick for a position next year.  Looks like they will have to comb the scrap heap again and hope they find a diamond..or at least a topaz. So I guess that leaves the Pats looking next year for another bargain like Moss, Stallworth, Gaffney, but at RB.  They will might need to replace Taylor, Morris and Faulk.  Taylor and Morris are injury-prone. Faulk has been very quiet this season when he should be able to make some noise with Taylor and Morris out.  We should not expect him to not further decline next year. So if you think this year's running game creates a challenges, just wait until next year.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

Eliminated in 1st or 2nd round??? This is a QB driven league and we have the best QB! Coincidentally we also happen to have the best #1 and #2 wrs for the best QB to throw the ball to. I think you are forgetting how good Tom Brady is in the post season. If not for the B.S of the afc championship in 2006 and the miracle catch of 2007 the man would have 5 superbowl wins. With the defense at least 5 x better then it was last year I think we will be the favorites come years end.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Chriswood, a little early to throw in the towel wouldn't you say? This is a team still improving and working people in. The way I see it they should be jelling just in time for the playoffs. For a Pats fan to say they're out in the first round this early in the season is wrong no matter what point of view you're looking from.
    I know you're a true fan and looking out for the next couple years but let's try to stay behind them this year and take it game by game like BB preaches.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

the pats brought in rb maurice morris,didnt hear anything else.im wondering if they might give this guy a look.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/5403238460

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: two areas that needs improving to have success the rest of the way : Eliminated in 1st or 2nd round??? This is a QB driven league and we have the best QB! Coincidentally we also happen to have the best #1 and #2 wrs for the best QB to throw the ball to. I think you are forgetting how good Tom Brady is in the post season. If not for the B.S of the afc championship in 2006 and the miracle catch of 2007 the man would have 5 superbowl wins. With the defense at least 5 x better then it was last year I think we will be the favorites come years end.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

I agree about 2006.  They were robbed and they would have destroyed the Bears.

I don't agree about 2007.  The Giants handled the Pats throughout most of that game. They deserved to win.  They played better.  It was more than one fluke catch that lost the Pats that game. 

Tom Brady is the best QB of his era, hands down.  And he looks to be getting his game back.  But right now, Manning and Brees are playing the position better.  That's proved by the numbers.

Having two of the best receivers of the past several years will not hide the fact that this team cannot run, cannot stop the run, cannot cover kicks well, cannot punt well, cannot return kicks well and they have no clear #3 and # 4 receivers.  These are real problems with no quick, easy solutions.

As far as the D being "5 times better than last year", I will remind you that they didn't even make the play-offs last year, let alone beat any very good teams. They have yet to beat a very good team this year, as well.  Should they beat the Colts and Saints I will eat my humble pie, as I have done here before. 

To put it all in perspective, look at the stats Mike Reiss put together this week.  The Pats look very good in a few areas and horrible in others, ranking near the bottom in some key categories.  When they have won the SB in the past, they really didn't have weaknesses.  But they do now. The very fact that there are threads here about finding a #3 receiver and a #1 RB  in mid-season says it all. I bet Colts', Saints', Bronocos' fans are not posting such threads.

The Pats are not AFCC-caliber contenders just yet. Until they prove otherwise, I will stick to some realism and enjoy the wins they do get.