Two men on islands: Perhaps the biggest matchups against the Colts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Two men on islands: Perhaps the biggest matchups against the Colts

LT Vollmer/Light vs. RDE Freeney
    RT Kaczur vs. LDE Robert Mathis

I think the ability to leave these two guys isolated on the edge against these two pass rushers will go the furthest in determining the outcome of the game.  If the Patriots have to attach significant help (RB & TE) to help block, then their passing game will be reduced (4 wr's: can set picks on both sides of the field, or run the safety / corner off of their place in zone on either side of the field instead of just one).  Obviously, time to pass will be important for Brady, especially considering the possibility of favorable matchups in the secondary against rookies making their second starts.

I also see these matchups as favorable in the run game (not so much Mathis as the undersized Freeney, especially against the ridiculous size and long arms of Vollmer who could possibly consume Freeney figuratively and literally).  Their penchant to run upfield on pass rush might be something the Patriots could utilize by running draws underneath the upfield pass rusher as long as the tackles seal.  It could also be exploited by screen passes, where the tackles will still have to hold their speed rushers for longer than normal because of Freeney's and Mathis' speed (timing will be even more important than normally).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: Two men on islands: Perhaps the biggest matchups against the Colts

Light has had difficulties stopping Freeney, and I think the jury is still out as to Vollmer's ability to handle the quickest DE's in the league.

Should be very interesting to watch, and I think Vollmer will do pretty well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Two men on islands: Perhaps the biggest matchups against the Colts:
    [QUOTE]LT Vollmer/Light vs. RDE Freeney RT Kaczur vs. LDE Robert Mathis I think the ability to leave these two guys isolated on the edge against these two pass rushers will go the furthest in determining the outcome of the game.  If the Patriots have to attach significant help (RB & TE) to help block, then their passing game will be reduced (4 wr's: can set picks on both sides of the field, or run the safety / corner off of their place in zone on either side of the field instead of just one).  Obviously, time to pass will be important for Brady, especially considering the possibility of favorable matchups in the secondary against rookies making their second starts. I also see these matchups as favorable in the run game (not so much Mathis as the undersized Freeney, especially against the ridiculous size and long arms of Vollmer who could possibly consume Freeney figuratively and literally).  Their penchant to run upfield on pass rush might be something the Patriots could utilize by running draws underneath the upfield pass rusher as long as the tackles seal.  It could also be exploited by screen passes, where the tackles will still have to hold their speed rushers for longer than normal because of Freeney's and Mathis' speed (timing will be even more important than normally).
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Nick - so due to Freeney's small size, you see Mathis as handling the run D better.  That's a pretty astute observation except that if size is the reason for it, Mathis is smaller than Freeney.  Jeez.  Before you make a statement, know what it is you are talking about.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

In Response to Two men on islands: Perhaps the biggest matchups against the Colts:
    [QUOTE]LT Vollmer/Light vs. RDE Freeney RT Kaczur vs. LDE Robert Mathis I think the ability to leave these two guys isolated on the edge against these two pass rushers will go the furthest in determining the outcome of the game.  If the Patriots have to attach significant help (RB & TE) to help block, then their passing game will be reduced (4 wr's: can set picks on both sides of the field, or run the safety / corner off of their place in zone on either side of the field instead of just one).  Obviously, time to pass will be important for Brady, especially considering the possibility of favorable matchups in the secondary against rookies making their second starts. I also see these matchups as favorable in the run game (not so much Mathis as the undersized Freeney, especially against the ridiculous size and long arms of Vollmer who could possibly consume Freeney figuratively and literally).  Their penchant to run upfield on pass rush might be something the Patriots could utilize by running draws underneath the upfield pass rusher as long as the tackles seal.  It could also be exploited by screen passes, where the tackles will still have to hold their speed rushers for longer than normal because of Freeney's and Mathis' speed (timing will be even more important than normally).

i dont really think it matters much how they block freeney and mathis, as long as they get the job done. Using running backs and tight ends to help out wouldnt be anything new for us. As long as Brady has time everything else will fall in place, those back up corners will have trouble covering Moss and Welker if brady has good time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Two men on islands: Perhaps the biggest matchups against the Colts:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Two men on islands: Perhaps the biggest matchups against the Colts : Nick - so due to Freeney's small size, you see Mathis as handling the run D better.  That's a pretty astute observation except that if size is the reason for it, Mathis is smaller than Freeney.  Jeez.  Before you make a statement, know what it is you are talking about.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

I was referring to the PATRIOTS' linemen.

Vollmer: 6'8" 320ish
    Kazcur: 6'4" 310ish

Vollmer has a bigger size ADVANTAGE over the DE opposite of him.

But if condescension suits you because I proved that Polian campaigned for increased restrictions on downfield contact (with the Yahoo sports article by a 3rd party not affiliated with either city) and because I proved that offensive holding and offensive pass interference suddenly became points of emphasis this year coincidentally right as the Patriots and Steelers joined the trend towards passing offenses, so be it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

In Response to Re: Two men on islands: Perhaps the biggest matchups against the Colts:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two men on islands: Perhaps the biggest matchups against the Colts : I was referring to the PATRIOTS' linemen. Vollmer: 6'8" 320ish Kazcur: 6'4" 310ish Vollmer has a bigger size ADVANTAGE over the DE opposite of him. But if condescension suits you because I proved that Polian campaigned for increased restrictions on downfield contact (with the Yahoo sports article by a 3rd party not affiliated with either city) and because I proved that offensive holding and offensive pass interference suddenly became points of emphasis this year coincidentally right as the Patriots and Steelers joined the trend towards passing offenses, so be it.
    Nick, I agree, controlling the line on offense and tackling on defense are my two keys to the game for the Pats.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We've already seen Vollmer working alone by himself on that end and working out well, he doesn't need help with power rushers that Light and Kaczur need from the tightends and backs and it has opened things up for our tightends to make plays downfield.  I'd always hoped one day we would upgrade our tackles to huge, athletic guys that were equally adept with speed rushers as well as power rushers and now at least we have one side covered with SeaBass. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]We've already seen Vollmer working alone by himself on that end and working out well, he doesn't need help with power rushers that Light and Kaczur need from the tightends and backs and it has opened things up for our tightends to make plays downfield.  I'd always hoped one day we would upgrade our tackles to huge, athletic guys that were equally adept with speed rushers as well as power rushers and now at least we have one side covered with SeaBass. 
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

I would even take this a step further.

Offensive Tackles and their counterparts will decide the game.  All four will end up isolated with not much beyond a chip block from the tight end to help.  They have to beat the man across from them because both QB's make opposing defenses pay for bringing extra pressure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two men on islands: Perhaps the biggest matchups against the Colts : I would even take this a step further. Offensive Tackles and their counterparts will decide the game.  All four will end up isolated with not much beyond a chip block from the tight end to help.  They have to beat the man across from them because both QB's make opposing defenses pay for bringing extra pressure.

Well said, this will no doubt be a big part of the game. Whoever can buy their guy an extra second or two will take this game. This one starts out slow and becomes a run-away train in the second half.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Hey underdogg...  why is it when someone's opinion doesn't jive with yours, which is all what these posts are, THEY are off base and need more information before they post?  Which is your retort to Nick.  Fan bias, which you love, is healthy from your end of things, too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

The OP hit it on the head, if the O line win their matchups, the Pats WILL win this game.  The talent levels favor the pats ever so slightly, but if those bookends are in the backfield all day I don't see how the Pats can pull out the win.  This should be an awesome game, Colts Pats is always quality.  Time to see what Sea Bass is all about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two men on islands: Perhaps the biggest matchups against the Colts : I was referring to the PATRIOTS' linemen. Vollmer: 6'8" 320ish Kazcur: 6'4" 310ish Vollmer has a bigger size ADVANTAGE over the DE opposite of him. But if condescension suits you because I proved that Polian campaigned for increased restrictions on downfield contact (with the Yahoo sports article by a 3rd party not affiliated with either city) and because I proved that offensive holding and offensive pass interference suddenly became points of emphasis this year coincidentally right as the Patriots and Steelers joined the trend towards passing offenses, so be it.
    Wait a minute Nick -

You and I have had frequent back and forth and it seems to me that you have demonstrated your own condescension at times.  As for proving something to me, you have proven nothing.  Here are your posts:
    After getting roughed up in the AFC Divisional playoffs in 2003, Bill Polian got together with fellow passing czar Mike Martz to campaign for increased emphasis on pass interference because the Patriots manhandled his receivers (and because the receivers weren't tough enough to take it).

Then after getting dispatched in the 2004 AFC Championship Game, Polian decided he would make it his mission to make downfield contact with receivers altogether illegal.

Suddenly now that the Patriots have Randy Moss and Wes Welker as features of their passing offense, it should serve as no coincidence that this year's emphasis is on offensive pass interference and offensive holding.

I asked for proof and this is what followed from you:  
    Funny thing is, when I search for anything having to do with the NFL competition committee from 2003-2005, nothing comes up...
    And I've tried three different news sources (ESPN sorted chronologically, Boston.com with date ranges entered, New York Times with date ranges entered).
    They've magically disappeared, but I assure you that the competition committee at that time consisted of the following three people: Mike Martz, Bill Polian, and Mike Holmgren, all of whom were alarmed at the prospect that their finesse passing offenses would be negated by tough, old-fashioned defense.
    I'll forward articles if and when I find them - I'll try academic databases where the NFL would have a harder time censoring.

Followed by this:
    NOt confident in the source, but this is result #1 for "NFL offensive pass interference emphasis" on Google.*
    Talks about a memo sent out by the league to teams before this season.
    I remember there was a blog post on refs in Pats' training camp telling players how they would call it when the season began.

then this:
    Yahoo sports documents how Polian cried because his receivers couldn't take the rigors of a FULL contact sport here:

1.  The committee agreed that defensive contact on receivers AFTER 5 yards, AS WRITTEN IN THE RULE BOOK, needed to be emphasized because it was not being correctly called.  No rule change.  Just a focus on applying the rule as it was written.  Is there an issue with that? And by the way you had your game after which this happened screwed up.  This occurred after the 04 afccg.

2.  The information you supplied says absolutely nothing about Polian making it "his mission" to have downfield contact made illegal entirely. 

3.  Finally, you suggested that conveniently one of the rules emphasis this year had to do with offensive pass interference.  There is not a single line in your source that mentions offensive pass interference as a point of emphasis.  Just because it comes up as the #1 result on your Google search does not actually mean the source contains information related to it.  The source does mention offensive holding, but I ask you this:  Indy has been the most prolific passing unit in the league over the last decade and are at the top again this year.  What makes you think that now that NE has a passing attack that applying offensive holding emphasis somehow hurts your pats but not my colts?  Its illogical.

Now, to your other point, these were your words: 
    I also see these matchups as favorable in the run game (not so much Mathis as the undersized Freeney, especially against the ridiculous size and long arms of Vollmer who could possibly consume Freeney figuratively and literally).  

Your compared Mathis and Freeney by suggesting that Freeney was undersized where Mathis was not.  I didn't get that wrong.  

Look, I did not respond to your mistakes in your previous thread that you are now trying to claim proof of.  I was being nice.  Seeing as you think I was condescending, I will make sure not to be so nice next time.  If you are going to make a claim I suggest you have your facts straight.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]Hey underdogg...  why is it when someone's opinion doesn't jive with yours, which is all what these posts are, THEY are off base and need more information before they post?  Which is your retort to Nick.  Fan bias, which you love, is healthy from your end of things, too.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]
    If you are referring to Nick's post, its not opinion.  Freeney is and always has been bigger than Mathis.  Look it up.  If your going to compare the 2 don't say Freeney is the undersized one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two men on islands: Perhaps the biggest matchups against the Colts : If you are referring to Nick's post, its not opinion.  Freeney is and always has been bigger than Mathis.  Look it up.  If your going to compare the 2 don't say Freeney is the undersized one.

I understand and admit my error, but I don't think it changes the figurative substance of the board.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Nick, whatever.  You made a statement here and you made a statement on another thread about things that are untrue. 

I am sorry if you don't like me calling you out, but I'm going to correct mistakes just as mine are corrected.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Nick, whatever.  You made a statement here and you made a statement on another thread about things that are untrue.  I am sorry if you don't like me calling you out, but I'm going to correct mistakes just as mine are corrected.

You sound bitter.

Just because you refuse to accept the sources I've provided, does not mean that they are false.

Furthermore, it would seem that you've become more concerned with picking apart minor errors.  Both defensive ends are small.  Get over yourself.  And yes, I'm annoyed.  Of all of the things you could have said here, you waste bits of data storage on THAT?  Come on, man.  That's weak.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Bittter? 

Well if its regarding intentional deception then yes, that bothers me.  Now, I have no idea whether you are being intentionally deceptive or not.  But raising three points to trash Polian when only one is correct is BS, and I am going to correct it.  If you don't like being corrected then either research your points before writing them or don't write it at all.  

In all honesty, I let your mistakes here go, but when I called you out for suggesting you know something about Indy's players that are incorrect, and you have a hissy fit, then you get exposed for the other mistakes. 

I am not trying to be an as s, but if I said Mayo was roid freak or that I wasn't worried about Bodden because he was too small to cover Garcon, you'd be all over me like stink on sh*t. 

Opinions are one thing.  They can be disagreed with, but they can't be corrected.  Facts are entirely different.

Good Luck to your pats tomorrow.  The injury report is rather large.  Is that an issue or is it a mirage?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Bittter?  Well if its regarding intentional deception then yes, that bothers me.  Now, I have no idea whether you are being intentionally deceptive or not.  But raising three points to trash Polian when only one is correct is BS, and I am going to correct it.  If you don't like being corrected then either research your points before writing them or don't write it at all.   In all honesty, I let your mistakes here go, but when I called you out for suggesting you know something about Indy's players that are incorrect, and you have a hissy fit, then you get exposed for the other mistakes.  I am not trying to be an as s, but if I said Mayo was roid freak or that I wasn't worried about Bodden because he was too small to cover Garcon, you'd be all over me like stink on sh*t.  Opinions are one thing.  They can be disagreed with, but they can't be corrected.  Facts are entirely different. Good Luck to your pats tomorrow.  The injury report is rather large.  Is that an issue or is it a mirage?

poor choice of words.  I meant you sounded unnecessarily defensive, like you were looking to call me out on something again, even after I admitted it was a mistake.  I thought it was especially trivial considering how big Vollmer is compared to Freeney (versus the smaller discrepancy between Kaczur and Mathis).  I may also have mistaken Robert Mathis' height/weight for Rashean's (who was about Freeney's size, I believe).

I think it's Belichick's games.  He put them all as questionable to make it harder for the Colts to prepare for every possibility.  I don't think they can all fit on the active roster on game day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I looked it up. Freeney has three sacks in nine career games against the Pats, including the playoffs. If we assume that every one was against Light one-on-one, that's still pretty dang good. I know the perception is that Freeney dominates Light, but I think this stat may help defend Light's play.