Two sets of rules...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Re: Two sets of rules...

Good read Killa, what's he's done is disgustingly selfish. NFL players have a huge affect on kids and when they see their idols and heros acting like this and getting away with it what message does it send them?
    They get away with it because they can afford to. They have the money to have the best representation out there. This includes paying off witnesses or whatever has to be done to make it go away. That's the problem. The cops did their job.

What he did was inexcusable and in my opinion he's lost his privalage to play in the NFL but if you bounce him from the league what do you do with Brandon Marshall? This guy is ten times worse than Ben.

Goddell/NFL should institute a "poor decision" or "bad judgement" rule. This would give the league reason to initiate punishment at any time instead of post police investigations. I know, inocent until proven guilty right? It doesn't matter with these rules, if you have a negative affect on the integrity of the NFL or you could negatively impact the kids, guily or inocent your going to be investigated/suspended, kicked out......

It would take a while but you'd get rid of the gangbanging thugs the league has right now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Two sets of rules...:
    Hey guys I just read a good story on big Ben and how when he comes back people will still cheer for him even though they shouldn't. Its a good read and i thought it would be a interesting conversation so take a look and let me know what you think. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jeff_pearlman/07/28/big.ben/index.html
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

its the nature of the beast...and people love to be entertained by beasts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

disgusted by the read but so true. i personally discard anyone even mentioned for any atrocity. that would include personnel on my own team. even a tom brady. no exceptions. money seems to watch these losers hands.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

I think Goodell already has the "poor decision/bad judgement" rule and power to enforce it. As an NFL employee/owner you can be disciplined for actions that reflect poorly on the NFL reguardless is they are illegal or not.  Look at Bud Adams getting fined over shooting the bird at fans.

Furthermore, I think that when the commish disciplines someone based on "poor decision/bad judgement" they should call it getting "crabled".  "man, did you see Bud Adams got crabled for shooting the fans the bird!!!"  got a nice ring to it...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crlsnjnn. Show crlsnjnn's posts

Most of my family lives in Pennsylvania and are diehard Steelers fans (are there any other kind?) and they are pretty disgusted with Ben.  At a recent family reunion, they were all pretty adament that they weren't happy he was coming back.  I think his "do you know who I am" act has been wearing pretty thin in Pennsylvania.  Of course, the Eagles cheered Michael Vick, but Eagles fans are idiots (and Steelers fans hate Eagles fans).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'd bet he will be booed the first couple of times he plays in Pittsburgh but if he plays well he'll cheered. I work with a few people from Pittsburgh and they were making up excuses for him saying he was setup. I don't like Steeler fans at all.. At least the ones I hear call into sirius NFL or the ones I work with. Complete meatheads that would root for him even if he assaulted women on a regular basis...Oh yeah, that's right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

In Response to Re: Two sets of rules...:
    [QUOTE]I think Goodell already has the "poor decision/bad judgement" rule and power to enforce it. As an NFL employee/owner you can be disciplined for actions that reflect poorly on the NFL reguardless is they are illegal or not.  Look at Bud Adams getting fined over shooting the bird at fans. Furthermore, I think that when the commish disciplines someone based on "poor decision/bad judgement" they should call it getting "crabled".  "man, did you see Bud Adams got crabled for shooting the fans the bird!!!"  got a nice ring to it...
    Posted by whodeawhodat[/QUOTE]

If they already have it it than why is Brandon Marshall even playing? The rule as I see it would have Ben suspended the entire year. It would remove Brandon Marshall from playing in it, it would hand out a three game suspension for anything drug or alcohol related instances like DUI and if repeated banned from the league. It would force players to give back to the community and that would be tracked. It would mean a minimum donation from every player to a charity of their choice.

You know, all the things a class act player does on his own.

Are you kidding me? Somewhere this got turned around, it used to be the player would be honored to showcase his talents in front of people. Now, they think they can do anything because of their talent. I'd rather see quality people the kids can look up to playing at a slightly less quality than gangbanging thugs doing whatever they want who may be slightly better.

Ted Williams said, they're paying me $30 thousand a year, the least I can is bat

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

had to bring brandon marshall into the discussion didnt ya?

lets keep this thread about big ben and if marshall screws up in miami...until then...let the man be

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

This is a pretty new rule so you cant fault the commish for starting off small.  You cant have him being accused of being a dictator(which he is) and taking away a man's ability to feed his family(which is what any player will cry who thinks he is being treated unfairly or singled out).  So he has put players on notice and the league will hopefully shape up.  I liked the ted williams quote the first 100 times i heard it.  who was it that said they were paid to play and not paid to be a role model?  I cant remember if it was warren sapp or charles barkley...Either way, it comes with the territory, kids are going to idolize and emulate you when you are a superstar in any sport.  Its not your choice, it is part of your legacy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

While I don't think you'll find a lot of people in Roethlisberger's corner (unless he brings Bitchburgh back to the Super Bowl almost immediately -- as seems unlikely enough), legislating morality is a slippery slope. Do you really want a commissioner sitting back making arbitrary judgments about what sort of questionable behavior will be considered acceptable and what won't? At the very least, Roethlisberger is guilty of taking advantage of an underage drunk girl (if you believe him), at the worst, rape (if you believe her). Somewhere between those two things there is a line that seperates bad judgment from legitimate criminal activity. But where, exactly, is that line . . .   and who draws it? Surely not Roger Goodell -- King of the arbitrary, knee-jerk over-reaction.

I'm not sure I want to live in a world where the testimony of a gaggle of drunken co-eds (who may or may not have an agenda) can make me unemployable.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from whodeawhodat. Show whodeawhodat's posts

Pretty much what I said Mike but I do want to place the power in the commish's hands.  His only agenda is to make the NFL succeed and I think he wants to have a better image of the NFL than the one that currently exists.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]While I don't think you'll find a lot of people in Roethlisberger's corner (unless he brings Bitchburgh back to the Super Bowl almost immediately -- as seems unlikely enough), legislating morality is a slippery slope. Do you really want a commissioner sitting back making arbitrary judgments about what sort of questionable behavior will be considered acceptable and what won't? At the very least, Roethlisberger is guilty of taking advantage of an underage drunk girl (if you believe him), at the worst, rape (if you believe her). Somewhere between those two things there is a line that seperates bad judgment from legitimate criminal activity. But where, exactly, is that line . . .   and who draws it? Surely not Roger Goodell -- King of the arbitrary, knee-jerk over-reaction. I'm not sure I want to live in a world where the testimony of a gaggle of drunken co-eds (who may or may not have an agenda) can make me unemployable.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

P-mike, to the first point I do. I do want Goddell or whoever has that seat to make these exact judgements. he isn't judging whether or not someone is crimminally inocent or guilty, he's only looking out for the league.

Than maybe knowing that this could happen and you could lose your ability to play in the NFL would keep you out of under aged bars in the first place.

Mike, the money they get has to come with some kind of responsibility

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I agree, I wish they never let him back in. If you ask me Marshall is far worse than Vick and they let him play as well. I know it's not easy, these guys are super talented and sell jerseys and fill seats.
    My point is I personally would rather see the talent level drop (if it had to) and have good charecter type players than talented thugs and gang bangers.

I'm done with the Marshalls, the Vicks, the Big Bens and the TO's. I want a league of more Brady's and Bruschi's.

btw-If I were commish, you would have to donate. It doesn't have to be money Killa. Their time is much more valuable to a 7th or 8th grader just starting out..... if he has good charecter that is. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't think he'll get a lot of support from Pittsburgh.  I think fans feel that the Steelers have an image of blue collar, hard working, down to earth people with values.  That image may not be truly accurate, but I think most fans are a bit ticked that Roethlisburger selfishly tainted an image that took decades to build.

Personally, I don't like the idea of the Commissioner applying a punishment based on rumor.  If there is anything to what happenned the police should take care of it.  I wouldn't want to lose my job if someone just threw out a rumor, I don't think I could legally.  But the NFL is an entertainment organization, and if people do not want to be entertained by Roethlisburger than see no reason why the Rooney's can't cut him as a sound financial decision which sounds more ethical to me.  Another words losing your job over rumors is one thing, but losing it because you put yourself in a position where those rumors have caused you to become unprofitable, is another IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think he'll get a lot of support from Pittsburgh.  I think fans feel that the Steelers have an image of blue collar, hard working, down to earth people with values.  That image may not be truly accurate, but I think most fans are a bit ticked that Roethlisburger selfishly tainted an image that took decades to build. Personally, I don't like the idea of the Commissioner applying a punishment based on rumor.  If there is anything to what happenned the police should take care of it.  I wouldn't want to lose my job if someone just threw out a rumor, I don't think I could legally.  But the NFL is an entertainment organization, and if people do not want to be entertained by Roethlisburger than see no reason why the Rooney's can't cut him as a sound financial decision which sounds more ethical to me.  Another words losing your job over rumors is one thing, but losing it because you put yourself in a position where those rumors have caused you to become unprofitable, is another IMO.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Shen, I can't disagree with you more on this. What you're saying is it's Ok to have questionable behavior, as long as you don't get arrested, and as long as you're profittable you can, and should play?

He was diciplined because there was a pattern that the league didn't want any part of. Believe who you want on the specific incident, he was in that under aged nightclub and something happened. To me, that's enough.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't like Roethlisburger but I think that punishing him for a rumor is a dangerous road.  Somebody at your work could say you raped them, and whether there is any truth or not it would hurt your companies image and yours.  All anyone knows for sure is that he had sex with a 20 year old woman, that is not illegal, it's not even unethical.  To punish him based off how hanus the crime would be, if the rumors were true just seems wrong.  I could see suspending someone for immoral behaviour that hurts the NFL's image, but proof would have to be necessary IMO, not just rumor.

My point about Ben being unprofitable and getting fired is this.  Getting fired for rumors should not be allowed, but getting fired for cause because you are not profitable is basic capitalism.  There may not be proof of what Ben did that night but there is proof that people don't like him and that should allow the team to fire him.  The effect would be the same, but the justification seems better than basing it off rumors IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]I don't like Roethlisburger but I think that punishing him for a rumor is a dangerous road.  Somebody at your work could say you raped them, and whether there is any truth or not it would hurt your companies image and yours.  All anyone knows for sure is that he had sex with a 20 year old woman, that is not illegal, it's not even unethical.  To punish him based off how hanus the crime would be, if the rumors were true just seems wrong.  I could see suspending someone for immoral behaviour that hurts the NFL's image, but proof would have to be necessary IMO, not just rumor. My point about Ben being unprofitable and getting fired is this.  Getting fired for rumors should not be allowed, but getting fired for cause because you are not profitable is basic capitalism.  There may not be proof of what Ben did that night but there is proof that people don't like him and that should allow the team to fire him.  The effect would be the same, but the justification seems better than basing it off rumors IMO.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Ok, I see what you're saying.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see someone get fired over a rumor either but in this case and with this person there's a problem.

I guess my point is if they just stepped up the penalties for ANY kind of questionable behavior maybe these guys would think twice and be good role models for our kids by staying out of trouble all together.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

You make a good point, Sam, and I would agree if I saw any kind of consistency in how Goodell metes out punishment for what he perceives as slights to the image of the league (however you want to define that). But I haven't seen that consistency. Goodell appears to like to pick and choose his targets seemingly at random -- or with a very clear agenda, depending upon your perspective (right, Rusty?) -- and if you're telling this guy over here that he is "bad for the league" while that guy over there is getting away with pretty much the same thing, that kind of policy is going to accomplish the exact opposite of what you're seeking.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]You make a good point, Sam, and I would agree if I saw any kind of consistency in how Goodell metes out punishment for what he perceives as slights to the image of the league (however you want to define that). But I haven't seen that consistency. Goodell appears to like to pick and choose his targets seemingly at random -- or with a very clear agenda, depending upon your perspective (right, Rusty?) -- and if you're telling this guy over here that he is "bad for the league" while that guy over there is getting away with pretty much the same thing, that kind of policy is going to accomplish the exact opposite of what you're seeking.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Totally agreed p-mike, if there's no consistancy you send a mixed message and end up with a worse situation than when you started.
    Like I said, I just wish the penalties were a little more severe so it makes them think first. Eventually it get's accepted by not only the existing players but kids still in school.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

[QUOTE]"but if you bounce him from the league what do you do with Brandon Marshall? This guy is ten times worse than Ben" "It would take a while but you'd get rid of the gangbanging thugs the league has right now."
    Well, I thought this was a discussion about Big Ben?!   I guess theres a lot too the NFL I dont know about....What did B.Marsh do, and I am not being sarcastic, I am just ignorant to his off field issues, cuz I only care for Sports not Drama, and I only know about Ben cuz it was everywhere, but what did Marshall do worst than raping someone? and what gangbanging thugs do you know who go to college on a full athletic S.ship and then go the NFL, there may be a few nuckleheads in the league, but gangbanging Thugs???  thats a bit harsh, only guy close to that is M.Harrison, and he aint do a day for that...so how true is it? I personally beleive he did it, but thats the Police job, if they drop the ball, or players have good lawyers, so BE it...the NFL shouldnt be butting in and making it worse, they are not the police...this should be on another board, not Front Burner (Pats) btw...Cheery all!
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if you have any kids but it sounds like you don't. I don't really care myself what these guys do off the field (drama to you) but when my/millions of kids look up to them I expect a little more self control or punishment.
    As for my terminalogy you can take it or leave it but there's hundreds of dumb azz high school kids that run a 4 second 40, are 6-4 and have hands like glue that get full scolarships and special treatment all through school and yes, make it into the NFL.
    Are you from this country?
    They have ridiculous majors and traveling tutors and amazingly enough they all pass and get a degree?????
    Now I know this post was on Ben and he got what Goddell thought he deserved. He wasn't convicted in criminal court but he was still suspended because of his questionable behavior and how it affects the NFL and it's fans (kids).
    Now Killa has a good point, they had a chance to make the point I'm looking for and blew it, they never should have let Vick back and Ben should've been suspended for an entire season.

Oh, and don't forget this little paech of a human being. Would you want your kids looking up to this maggot or Tedi Bruschi?

Marshall's transgressions

Oct. 31, 2004: Brandon Marshall faced misdemeanor charges of trespass, resisting arrest without violence, disorderly conduct, refusal to obey and assault on an officer in a Halloween arrest his junior year at Central Florida. Charges were dismissed.

April 8, 2005: Marshall was charged with retail theft, a misdemeanor, after police in Orlando, Fla., accused him of trying to return a stolen set of bed sheets at a Burlington Coat Factory. The charge was dropped.

June 17, 2006: Marshall and girlfriend Rasheedah Watley both filed police reports alleging physical abuse by the other in an hours-long fight at Marshall's Orlando apartment. No arrests.

Jan. 24, 2007: Police interviewed Marshall and his father after an argument in an Orlando parking lot. Marshall claimed his father tried to hit him with his car, while the father told police Marshall had shot a gun. Both declined to press charges.

March 18, 2007: Watley told Atlanta police that Marshall had punched her and taken her purse while at a downtown hotel. Marshall left before police arrived and no charges were filed.

March 21, 2007: Police in Palm Beach County, Fla., interviewed Marshall and Watley twice in one night after two loud arguments. Both said the incidents were not physical, and no arrests were made.

March 26, 2007: Marshall was arrested in Highlands Ranch on charges of domestic violence and false imprisonment after another argument. Charges were dropped in May 2007.

June 8, 2007: Two incident reports were filed by Atlanta police. The first was to investigate damage to private property when Watley's friend alleged that Marshall hit her car and then threw a rock at the passenger door, near where Watley was riding. In the other, Watley told police Marshall had cut her in the thigh and punched her in the face. She was taken by ambulance to a local hospital. Marshall was not on the scene, and no charges were filed.

June 30, 2007: Watley told Atlanta police Marshall had punched and choked her at his condo, leaving a bruise on her eye and scratches on her body. He was not on scene, and no charges were filed.

Oct. 22, 2007: Marshall was arrested and charged with DUI after he allegedly drove the wrong way on a one-way street in downtown Denver, hours after a Broncos game. Pleaded guilty to a lesser charge and sentenced to a year's probation in Sept. 2008.

March 4-6, 2008: Three incident reports and one criminal warrant were filed after Watley and Marshall got into a fight at his Atlanta condo. She told police Marshall had punched her in the mouth and eye. Marshall told police his hand was also cut on glass during the incident, which included Watley's two younger sisters. Marshall was arrested March 6 on a misdemeanor battery charge. A misdemeanor battery charge is still pending.

May 21, 2008: An Atlanta police officer was dispatched to Marshall's condo to enforce Watley's temporary restraining order while Watley was there removing her belongings. The officer described Marshall as being cooperative and Watley as argumentative, though Watley told the officer she felt threatened by Marshall and his relatives who were also there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

shenanigan...The thing that bothers me the most about your reasons to why Big Ben shouldn't be punished for what was "rumored" to have happened, is that you're overlooking the obvious breaking of the law he did even before the "alleged" sexual assault...providing alcohol to a minor. When Big Ben & his "personal Cop" enterage met the group of women the "accuser" was among...they were informed that the girls were 19 & 20 year old sorority girls.  So he intentonally got underage girls drunk, paid for said drinks/shots with the intent to get freaky with one.  THAT is INTENT!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

He may be a d00sh, but he's their d00sh, so they cheer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

i dont think anyone here is going to argue that brandon marshall isnt an a-holio

but what he has alledgely done isnt enough to for the commish to take away his career and he has done everything asked of him since he arrived in miami, this topic should just end already