Ty Warren Released

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Re: Ty Warren Released

Cutting Ty Warren saves the Pats $3,257, 280 agaist the cap this year. 

Warren's cap number for the year on the roster was $5,878,110 (http://www.patscap.com/warren.gif)

With his release, Warren will onlyy count $2,620,830 against the cap for this year (http://www.patscap.com/capfootnotes.html#warren)

The move makes a lot more sense now.  Wow, this really makes me wonder if the savings are going to a contract extension for Mankins.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Well, Mankins counts as 10+ million against the cap already, so signing him long term would actually SAVE us some money this year as his cap number would most likely drop to the 5-8 million range, I believe.

I think we might use the extra cap space to resign Light to a short term deal and Welker to a long term deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I would love to the see the Pats take care of Welker. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

A tweet by Warren indicated the Patriots are taking their defense in a different direction and didn't need him so much.  Smells like 4-3 to me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

In Response to Re: Ty Warren Released:
    [QUOTE]Well, Mankins counts as 10+ million against the cap already, so signing him long term would actually SAVE us some money this year as his cap number would most likely drop to the 5-8 million range, I believe. I think we might use the extra cap space to resign Light to a short term deal and Welker to a long term deal.
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]

Good point--I forget that signing Mankins would spread his cap hit out over the contract.  Hmm, I wonder what they will do with all this cap space...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]A tweet by Warren indicated the Patriots are taking their defense in a different direction and didn't need him so much.  Smells like 4-3 to me.
    Posted by TroyBrown80[/QUOTE]

All companies say that when they fire someone. It's a nice way to let you go saying "the company is moving in a different direction" meaning "it's not you it's us"

I wouldn't read to much into it

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Well, Mankins counts as 10+ million against the cap already, so signing him long term would actually SAVE us some money this year as his cap number would most likely drop to the 5-8 million range, I believe. I think we might use the extra cap space to resign Light to a short term deal and Welker to a long term deal.
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]

Signing him long term wouldn't save as much as trading his nasty azz out of town would.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Warren was a decent player, but never really lived up to his #13 overall billing. BB is cutting bait on that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

Im extremely ( not really ) surprised people on here think we play a strict 3-4. We've been going back and forth between 4-3/3-4 read and react style for sometime now. Im guessing its close to 50% give or take. Im a fan of Ty's , but the guy just hasnt been on the field and healthy when we need him. If he's in shape i absolutely want him on my team. Again especially when we play 3-4 close to half , if not a little more. Maybe things are changing and were moving to more of a 4-3 base front. Or maybe we know the guy isnt going to be able to stay healthy for one reason or another. Either way someone will take a chance on him with so many teams playing a 3-4 , at least some of the time. Packers , Cowboys , Broncos , Jets all come to mind.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Would he be re-signed under a restructured contract?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Ty's release IMO has everything to do with him being not good enough to make the team.  Last year he skipped the workouts to go back to college.  Admirable, but when he returned he injured his hip.  Again this year, he went back to College, came in and this time failed the conditioning test supposedly from a hamstring.  Which is an injury you commonly get after pushing yourself too hard when you're not in shape.  At Ty's age he should be in his prime.  I just have to think that the 13th overall pick hasn't taken care of his body like his peers like Wilfork, G. Warren, Seymour etc.  I don't think he's committed to football like he used to be and is ready to move on, and the Pats are too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, that "different direction" is someone who is not so fat, can stay on the field and play good D. 
    Posted by McCheaters[/QUOTE]

How's that Asomugha acquisition going?  You know, the one where the Jets were gonna get him and have the best CB tandem in the NFL?  Certainly the Jets have all of their personnel ducks in a row, so you have time to come here and criticize the Patriots' offseason -- I get it now!  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

A couple of points starting with one we seem to bring up every off season... the Pats aren't switching to a 4/3.  The 3/4 is the base defense, we very often run a 2/4/5 with two outside speed rushers playing in a 3 point stance but that is in no way a change to a 4/3.

Warren is gone for cap purposes, injury perhaps limited his effectiveness and mainly because we also have Brace who proved in spots to be a legit defensive tackle/end.  If he makes the leap his second year he should be starting alongside Vince and Albert.  Let's hope G Warren comes back for depth or we find another free agent castoff, teams are cutting guys out there almost faster then they are signing them.

The tweet by Warren suggests he won't restructure his deal and come back, but there's a possibility the market might not be there for him and he'll be forced to eat crow and come back...  Ty Warren was a warrior for us for a long time, why some people here feel the need to bash former players now because they're moving on is often sad.  D Line in a 3/4 isn't a glamour position but for sure if we had Warren last season we stop the run, create sacks and likely win it all so let's hope we have his replacement.