Uncertainty Surrounds 2010 Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Uncertainty Surrounds 2010 Draft

The 2010 draft could be one of the most exciting, interesting drafts in years. After the first three picks, what happens next is anybody's guess. The main wild cards are whether the Steelers will trade QB Ben Roethlisber, and where two players, QB Jimmy Clausen and WR Dez Bryant, will fall. 

While doing mock drafts are generally an exercise in futility, I enjoy doing one prior to each draft. Such an exercise makes me more familiar with teams other than the Patriots. It also gives me an idea of who may be available to the Patriots, when they make their selections. Here's my guess at what may happen in round one:

1.) St. Louis Rams: QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma: Truth be told, the Rams would love to trade out of this spot. They are not 100% sold on Bradford. They also don't want to have to fork over almost $40mil. in guaranteed money, for an unproven player. But, nobody else wants to assume such a huge financial risk, either. So, the Rams are stuck. A rookie salary cap is a must in the near future;

2.) Detroit Lions: DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska: The Lions' have a greater need for an OT...just ask the bruised-up Matthew Stafford! But, they likely see Suh as a player who is "too good to pass up". But, how many times has that been said? Remember "Big Daddy" Wilkerson? The problem is that the Lions' can't trade down, because, as was the case with the Rams...no one wants to assume the huge financial burden of having to sign the 2nd overall pick;

3.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma: Some "experts" claim that McCoy is a better prospect than Suh. Good pick for the Bucs, who need help everywhere;

4.) Washington Redskins: OT Trent Williams, Oklahoma: Here's where the uncertainty begins. Russell Okung is the slightly higher rated prospect. But, Williams is though to be more athletic, and better suits Mike Shanahan's zone blocking system; 

5.) Kansas City Chiefs: OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State: Just who Scott Pioli needs to solidify his OL. Selecting Okung allows the Chiefs to move Brandon Albert from LT to LG, where he'll be far more effective. The Okung selection gives the Big 12 the top five selections in the draft.

6.) Seattle Seahawks: S Eric Berry, Tennessee: Though the Seahawks badly need a LT to replace the retired Walter Jones, the top two prospects at the position are gone. Rather than settling for the next best player at OT, Pete Carroll decides to go Berry, who many favorably compare to Ed Reed.

7.) San Francisco 49ers (from Cleveland Browns): QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame: If Berry is gone, a trade is by the Browns is a real possibility. The 49ers could offer their 17th overall pick, their 3rd rounder, and their number one in 2011, to move up.

8.) Pittsburgh Steelers (from Oakland Raiders): MLB Rolando McClain, Alabama: We all know that Uncle Al moves in mysterious ways. So, even though Ben Roethlisberger is facing a 6 game suspension, he agrees to part with his 8th overall pick, pro-bowl CB Nnamdi Asomugha, plus a switch in positions in the 2nd round, to acquire the troubled QB. Asomugha fills the Goths' top need...a shut-down CB. Starting ILB James Farrior is 35 years old. McClain is a perfect replacement...with Jack Lambert-like intensity and physicality. He'll be an intimidating presence for years.

9.) Buffalo Bills: OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa: The Bills struggle between taking Bulaga or DT, Dan Williams. They decide that there's too great a need on the OL to let Bulaga pass by;

10.)  Jacksonville Jaguars: DE Jason Pierre-Paul, Central Florida: Derrick Morgan might have been the better choice, but, like it or not, the need to put fans in the seats has become job one in Jacksonville. The Jags registered only 28 sacks last season;

11.) Denver Broncos: DT Dan Williams, Tennessee: Williams is the best NT prospect in the draft. He'll learn from, and split time with veteran Jamal Williams. WR Dez Bryant will likely be "the peoples choice". But, after getting rid of one diva, I don't see Josh McDaniels drafting another;

12.) Miami Dolphins: DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech: Bill Parcells is thrilled to have a DeMarcus Ware type athlete fall to him at #12. 

13.) San Francisco 49ers: OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers: The 49ers have a huge hole at RT. Starting RT Adam Synder gave up 9.5 sacks last season;

14.) Seattle Seahawks: DE Everson Griffin, USC: The Seahawks must replace the retired Patrick Kearney. Pete Carroll loves the pass-rushing potential of Griffin, one of his former players.

15.) NY Giants: RB CJ Spiller, Clemson: With McClain and NT Dan Williams gone, the Giants turn their attention to offense. Though Spiller is not an every down back, he's got the potential to become a Michael Westbrook type weapon for Eli Manning;

16.) Tennessee Titans: CB Joe Haden, Florida: With the top DE prospects gone, the Titans move to address their secondary. Starting CB Nick Harper is 35 years old, and clearly has lost a step. Haden has the potential to become a shut-down CB;

17.) Cleveland Browns (from 49ers): S Earl Thomas, Texas: The 49er deal works out perfectly for the Browns, who get at #17 the guy that they might have taken at #7.

18.) Pittsburgh Steelers: C/OG Maurkice Pouncey, Florida: Steelers get help on an aging OL by tabbing Pouncey;

19.) Atlanta Falcons: LB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri: Tough choice between Brandon Graham, Jerry Hughes, and Weatherspoon. But, rather than reach for a DE prospect, Falcons opt for the tackling machine LB;

20.) Houston Texans: RB Ryan Matthews, Fresno State: Texans are sick and tired of their stumbling. bumbling, and fumbling RBs, Ryan Moates, and Steve Slaton. Though CB is also a major need, they'll address that in round two;

21.) Cincinnati Bengals: TE Germaine Gresham, Oklahoma: Carson Palmer gets a new weapon. The Bengals hope that Gresham will be the second coming of Tony Gonzalez;

22.) New England Patriots: DE/DT Jared Odrick, Penn State: With Sergio Kindle, Brandon Graham, Jerry Hughes, and Dez Bryant still available, this is a tough choice. Bryant has Brandon Marshall-like ability, and could make the Patriots' offense scary again. But the Pats' remember being gouged on the ground by the Ravens last year;

23.) Green Bay Packers: OT Charles Brown, USC: Packers seek a LT to protect QB Aaron Rodgers' blind side;

24.) Philadelphia Eagles: CB Kyle Wilson, Boise State: The Eagles need a replacement for former starting CB, Sheldon Brown...and don't view Ellis Hobbs as the answer. 

25.) Baltimore Ravens: S Taylor Mays, USC: Aging Ed Reed can't go on forever. Though Mays never lived up to his hype in college, he has all the physical tools to be an outstanding safety;

26.) Arizona Cardinals: WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State: Larry Fitzgerald gets a new tag team partner to terrorize opposing secondaries;

27.) Dallas Cowboys: OG Mike Iupati, Iowa: Cowboys are tempted to trade up with the Patriots to land WR Dez Bryant. But the price, their 27th, 59th and 90th overall picks, is too high. Cowboys move to bolster their OL;

28.) San Diego Chargers: DT Terrence Cody, Alabama: With Ryan Matthews gone, the Chargers opt to fill their other position of need...NT. 

29.) NY Jets: OLB Sergio Kindle, Texas: Jets waive goodbye to the worthless Vernon Gholston, and try again with Kindle. Yes, I realize that they've signed Jason Taylor. But JT is 35 years old, and basically on a one year contract. Rex Ryan can never get enough pass rushers;

30.) Minnesota Vikings: CB Devin McCourty, Rutgers: Starting CB Cedric Griffin tore his ACL in the NFC Title loss to the Saints. He likely won't be ready to return til mid-October. DT Brian Price of UCLA iis another possibility;

31.) Indianapolis Colts: DT Brian Price, UCLA: The Colts get some run-stuffing help up front. But, Bill Polian thinks long and hard about tabbing DE Jerry Hughes of TCU, who could be another Robert Mathis. Another possibility is OT Rodger Saffold, of Indiana;

32.) New Orleans Saints: DE Brandon Graham, Michigan: Saints are thrilled to have Graham fall to them. He'll replace DE Charles Grant, who was lost through free agency.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Uncertainty Surrounds 2010 Draft

Not even Al Davis is that big of an idiot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffectredux. Show mosseffectredux's posts

P-mike-your talking about AL Davis.LoL. texas i like the pick you have at 22.its better then hearing some say it will be used on a TE.not that the pats dont need one,but i feel the first over all pick should be spent on a player with huge up-side.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Graham lasting to #32? and Byrant lasting to #26? I doubt either would happen. And if Graham lasts to 32 I can see the Pats trading back into the 1st to get him.

Also Uncle Al might be over the hill but he'd have the Raiders taken away from him if he gives up Asomugha the 8th pick and switching 2nds just to get a QB who will miss at minimum 4 games this season and who knows how many more if another assualt/rape comes to light. The 8th standing alone would most likely get the deal done.

I see Big Ben heading to Buff though for the 9th pick straight up.

But all in all I can see most of the picks going that way. Not a bad mock in my opinion

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Uncertainty Surrounds 2010 Draft:
    Graham lasting to #32? and Byrant lasting to #26? I doubt either would happen. And if Graham lasts to 32 I can see the Pats trading back into the 1st to get him. Also Uncle Al might be over the hill but he'd have the Raiders taken away from him if he gives up Asomugha the 8th pick and switching 2nds just to get a QB who will miss at minimum 4 games this season and who knows how many more if another assualt/rape comes to light. The 8th standing alone would most likely get the deal done. I see Big Ben heading to Buff though for the 9th pick straight up. But all in all I can see most of the picks going that way. Not a bad mock in my opinion
    Posted by PatsEng

You may be right. But, lets' not sell Roethlisberger too short. The guy has led his team to an AFC Title game and two SBs titles, in six years. At age 28, he's in his prime. I think that he'll fetch more than a top 10 #1 pick.

I really do think Big Ben is gone: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10110/1051941-66.stm

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Wow thats crazy.  All Pitts is looking for is a top 10 pick and you have the Raiders giving up the 8th pick AND the best corner in the game, plus swapping 2nd round picks.  Al is crazy but that would be off the charts dumb.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Wow thats crazy.  All Pitts is looking for is a top 10 pick and you have the Raiders giving up the 8th pick AND the best corner in the game, plus swapping 2nd round picks.  Al is crazy but that would be off the charts dumb.
    Posted by Patsman2

Even tarnished as he is, Roethlisberger is worth more than a #1 pick. As for Asomugha being moved as part of the deal, you're not taking into account the insane contract that Al Davis signed him to: 

"On February 19, 2009 the Raiders re-signed Asomugha to a complex three-year deal that makes him the highest paid defensive back in NFL history. The first two years, worth $28.5 million, are fully guaranteed. In the third year of the contract, if Oakland wants to keep Asomugha, it must pay him the average of the top five highest-paid quarterbacks or $16.875 million, whichever is higher. If the Raiders fail to pick up the option, Asomugha will become a free agent with Oakland not having the ability to tag him again.[10]." (from Wikipedia). 

This is why the Raiders offered him as part of their offer for Donavan McNabb, who is 5 years older than Ben, and not nearly as good: http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/26/1391712/donovan-mcnabb-raiders-nnamdi-asomugha-eagles-trade-rumors-nfl

Oakland is one of several NFL teams that are in dire need of a good QB...and Ben is one of the best. Unlike McNabb, he has led his team to two world titles, and an AFC championship game. Do you really think Uncle Al and Raider Nation wants to sit through another year of JaMarcus Russell? 

Uncle Al realizes that his days are numbered, and wants to win now. That is why he offered the Patriots his #1 draft choice in 2010 (the Pats insisted on their #1 in 2011) for an aging Richard Seymour. Do you think an aging DE on the downside of his career is worth more than an all-pro, albeit tarnished, QB...who is in his prime?   

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

No one intheir right mind will give up a #1 pick for a guy like roethilsberger who, I am sure, the NFL Investigators and Medical Staff consultants have told the Commissioner is a violent sexual predator and an alcoholic. No, he hasn't been found guilty (YET), but that's the pattern of behavior he's had for the last year, and probably a lot longer. NOTE: you cannot cure violent sexual predators...ever. Sorry, but he's on everyone's permanent crap list.
    Posted by jfaust1954

Who says that Uncle Al is in his "right mind"?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Not even Al Davis is that big of an idiot.
    Posted by p-mike

Mike...are you aware of the terms of Asomagah's contract? It's the most ridiculous contract ever given to an NFL player. Only Uncle Al would have agreed to it. 

The Raiders want Ben. It's in their history to trade for "troubled" players. The Steelers will accomodate them: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_TIM_DAHLBERG_042110?SITE=PAPIT&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT 

But, they won't give Ben away, the way they did Santonio Holmes. As a top 5 QB, even a tarnished Ben has high value.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Graham lasting to #32? and Byrant lasting to #26? I doubt either would happen. And if Graham lasts to 32 I can see the Pats trading back into the 1st to get him. Also Uncle Al might be over the hill but he'd have the Raiders taken away from him if he gives up Asomugha the 8th pick and switching 2nds just to get a QB who will miss at minimum 4 games this season and who knows how many more if another assualt/rape comes to light. The 8th standing alone would most likely get the deal done. I see Big Ben heading to Buff though for the 9th pick straight up. But all in all I can see most of the picks going that way. Not a bad mock in my opinion
    Posted by PatsEng

PatsEng...it appears that you are right, my friend. The Raiders reportedly wouldn't even offer the Steelers their 8th overall pick: http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_14932481

The Steelers won't trade Ben for less than a high #1 pick...and rightfully so. But, I still feel that they want to trade him. The question is...how much of a discount are they willing to give for a flawed Big Ben? If Ben isn't traded, that obviously impacts my mock draft above...LOL!!  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's more on the Steelers...and the distinct possibility of them trading Ben Roethlisberger today: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_677558.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

As long as we don't take a TE at 22 OR Freak*n tim tebow with any of our picks. I'll be ok. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

Amen brother NOISE!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Now ther's speculation about the Rams. This could happen. They're in the NFC ,would get a proven winner, the new owner wants change and wins. The Steelers would grab Bradford and give him time to develope

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

You gots it brother FrogLegs! 

We need PLAYMAKERS!  TALENT!  Pats Need to HIT on their picks.  Huge draft for Pats! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

NOISE, knowing NE bad record on picking TEs (Graham, Watson, Thomas,...) I just pray they don't waste another high draft pick on a glorified blocker.
    I am also not a fan of drafting RBs (in average they have a short NFL career, even the great ones) and WRs (lots of busts) in the first round.
    After spending so many high picks the last years on DBs I would hate them drafting another one high this draft.
    So what's left? The trenches of course!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

I know this sounds dumb ... But did Big Ben get convicted by the courts of the United States of America or by the media ?
    Ok....  he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and probally deserves being tarnished for the rest of his life.
     But if i was Uncle Al  I'd pick him up in a heart beat.

Innocent till proven guilty is the  fabric of the American way of life. Get off the guys case

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

The only reason I would give up a draft pick to Rotty is so I could pound the snot out of him every day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoBS14. Show NoBS14's posts

TexasPat3, i don't mind the majority of those predictions. But at #7   49ers will trade up with the Browns to get Jimmy Clausen?? Lets stop being cute with trading positions. 
    Alex Smith is coming along well for the 49ers if you noticed last season, no reason for them to draft another franchise qb.
    If anything the Browns are in need of a young franchise qb, since one is not too sure what Delhomme will bring to the table.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Re: Uncertainty Surrounds 2010 Draft :      Even tarnished as he is, Roethlisberger is worth more than a #1 pick. As for Asomugha being moved as part of the deal, you're not taking into account the insane contract that Al Davis signed him to:       "On February 19, 2009 the Raiders re-signed Asomugha to a complex three-year deal that makes him the highest paid defensive back in NFL history. The first two years, worth $28.5 million, are fully guaranteed. In the third year of the contract, if Oakland wants to keep Asomugha, it must pay him the average of the top five highest-paid quarterbacks or $16.875 million, whichever is higher. If the Raiders fail to pick up the option, Asomugha will become a free agent with Oakland not having the ability to tag him again. [ 10 ] ." (from Wikipedia).       This is why the Raiders offered him as part of their offer for Donavan McNabb, who is 5 years older than Ben, and not nearly as good: http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/26/1391712/donovan-mcnabb-raiders-nnamdi-asomugha-eagles-trade-rumors-nfl      Oakland is one of several NFL teams that are in dire need of a good QB...and Ben is one of the best. Unlike McNabb, he has led his team to two world titles, and an AFC championship game. Do you really think Uncle Al and Raider Nation wants to sit through another year of JaMarcus Russell?       Uncle Al realizes that his days are numbered, and wants to win now. That is why he offered the Patriots his #1 draft choice in 2010 (the Pats insisted on their #1 in 2011) for an aging Richard Seymour. Do you think an aging DE on the downside of his career is worth more than an all-pro, albeit tarnished, QB...who is in his prime?   
    Posted by TexasPat3

Ok Tex, if I buy that Oakland really really wants to get out of that contract with Aso, why in the world would Pitts want to take it on?  Are you saying that the Raiders are just trying to give the guy away??

I think Pitts would jump at just the 8th pick or any in the top 10.  Ben is pretty damaged goods right now,

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Now ther's speculation about the Rams. This could happen. They're in the NFC ,would get a proven winner, the new owner wants change and wins. The Steelers would grab Bradford and give him time to develope
    Posted by NEGAME

If the Steelers did get the #1 overall pick in a straight up deal for Ben, I don't think Bradford would be the choice. They could go with Suh.