Underwood released..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

Underwood released..

interesting..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Re: Underwood released..

Wow... Must have been out late getting his hair cut and missed curfew??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

They brought Silvestro up

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

dammmmm... hope that doesn't mean Love's out.
    Didn't think he would play any way but daammmmm.
    Will he get a ring?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Wow, what a kick in the pants, less than 24 hrs. to the big game and released from the team. Wonder if it was an example, or just the need for an extre DE on the game day roster. Ochos chances to get in the game just got a boost.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

No what it means is that they need defensive linemen in a rotation to stay fresh. Silvesto is a speed rusher.

It also means Ocho will be seeing playing time. As reported he has had excellent practices the past 2 weeks.  You just know the Gmen are prepared to stop Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker. Dion and Ocho could have a big game.

Go PATS!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Word is it's not because of Disciplinary reasons.  Needed another man for D rotation and Silvesto is also a special teamer.

Still kind of cold, feel bad for the dude. 

RT : Good Luck To The New Enland Organization, The Coaches, & All My Teammates...

Underwood chimes in. : This Is Nothing But MOTIVATION....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

I think that the Patriots are expecting that later in the game players will begin to tire and get worn down. It's their first dome game, and it'll be intense, hard-hitting, and fast-paced. It's only natural that players will be very tired by the end of the game.

This tends to hit defensive linemen the hardest, so obviously they wanted another man in the rotation. 

It doesn't appear as if this was a reaction to an injury to any current player, so that's certainly a good thing. Appears to be simply for the sake of having any extra linemen.

Let's go PATS!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonetone. Show tonetone's posts

Thanks for keeping it classy T.U. What size was your ring finger, Brother ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In response to "Re: Underwood released..": [QUOTE]Thanks for keeping it classy T.U. What size was your ring finger, Brother ? Posted by tonetone[/QUOTE] I would be shocked if he didn't receive a ring when the Patriots win

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

There are times when I can't get behind things this team does.  This is one.  Before going to Indy, ok, bad but still resonable.  TODAY????  The guy must feel horrible.  Cut someone else.  A guy who actually has played in games?    I hate this.  I hope it means Ocho FINALLY is ready, but it still stinks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

One of the things BB does on Saturday before the big game is to go over everything one more time to see if anything needs to be tweeked. I'm betting he knows Gronk and Ocho are ready and that the defensive ends will need all the help they can get.

Wait, Tom Jackson just stated the locker room hates their coach! :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Underwood released..:
    [QUOTE]There are times when I can't get behind things this team does.  This is one.  Before going to Indy, ok, bad but still resonable.  TODAY????  The guy must feel horrible.  Cut someone else.  A guy who actually has played in games?    I hate this.  I hope it means Ocho FINALLY is ready, but it still stinks.

Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Look at it this way, Underwood loses out but Silvestro just hit the lottery. One man's loss...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

He still gets a ring. I dont believe he gets to go to the game though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Unless he uses a ticket

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

[QUOTE]There are times when I can't get behind things this team does.  This is one.  Before going to Indy, ok, bad but still resonable.  TODAY????  The guy must feel horrible.  Cut someone else.  A guy who actually has played in games?    I hate this.  I hope it means Ocho FINALLY is ready, but it still stinks.
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Underwood was not going to be suiting up so whther or not he's actually ON the team makes no difference.
     He 'll likely be on the sidelines in street clothes
    ( just like he would if he was a gametime inactive )

The reason for the last minute move is so that the Giants :
    A) Wouldnt have early confirmation that Gronk was OK
    B )Wouldnt be tipped off to the fact that Ocho would likely be active
    C) Somebody other than the speedy Underwood would be involed with special teams responsibilities

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PMacPatFan. Show PMacPatFan's posts

I really feel badly for the guy. It's harsh but not inconsistent with the "Way".

In Response to Underwood released..:
    [QUOTE]interesting..
    Posted by smorgan86[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Underwood released.. : Look at it this way, Underwood loses out but Silvestro just hit the lottery. One man's loss...
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

Andrew Brandt from ESPN Tweeted: NE's Alex Silvestro was going to make $5700 as practice squad player. Now will make 44k (lose) or 88k (win) being on roster for SB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Sorry the high fade Fresh Prince of Rutgers got the axe! Cool dude and lots of props for him not going all Prima dona and acting like a fool. He just made his fellow Scarlett Knight teammate a wad of cash regardless of the result of the game,I'm sure his release will ensure his reutrn to the Patriots at a later date should he desire to return. Silvestro is the luckiest man on earth! Hard work and the need for additional defensive bodies allowed for his activation,also does anyone else notice that BB waited until the last possible moment for the promotion? Sly,cunning and downright evil....Hey Tom Coughlin dig up your film on Alex and game plan for his insertion,also this speaks volumes for the availibility of Gronk and that Ocho will be active! Of the two guys just mentioned I'm betting it's Ocho who ruins the Giants day at Lucas Oil drum on Sunday evening.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Flipping the 53rd man on the bench....thinking about the 2nd half when the temp could be 85 in the Polian dome?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

What do the tea leaves say about Silvestro being promoted:

First of all, the Patriots could have promoted either of two tight ends, a blocker or a pass-catcher.  Gronk is apparently good to go! 

By dropping wide receiver Underwood, the tea leaves say that wide receivers Welker (knee), Branch (knee) and Slater (knee) are all probably good to go.  BB just didn't want to announce it to the Giants until the last minute.

An offensive lineman wasn't picked up.  Vollmer, Mankins and Cannon are probably good to go. 

Silvestro could take the place of Ninkovich (hip).  The Patriots really need someone blitzing from the slot, says ProFootballFocus.  This slot blitz would pull the Giants tackles outward (or else Ninkovich/Silvestro would be mischeviously tying Eli Manning's shoelaces together much too often) and the Giants offensive line is pretty much near collapse already, so they don't need too much more stretching.

I'm going to assume that Ninkovich is questionable at best, or at least there's a chance that Ninkovich is a no-go by the second half, and that Silvestro can fill the gap. 

Curiously, Silvestro has been promoted over Markell Carter who can also blitz.  This being the Super Bowl, that's a serious statement of approval from BB on Silvestro.  Congrats!

Finally, Silvestro plays special teams.  Maybe no one significant is really injured!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

Mike Reiss's comments:

INDIANAPOLIS -- A few thoughts on the release of receiver Tiquan Underwood and the promotion of defensive lineman Alex Silvestro:

1. This seems harsh to Underwood, who by most accounts is a great kid.
    At the same time, the move is consistent with how the Patriots have managed their roster all year, making a lot of moves the day before a game based on needs for that contest.

2. Underwood should be back in 2012, if he wants. This is not a disciplinary based decision, according to a source. The team likes him. Underwood has been the team's third, fourth or fifth receiver this year and has played sparingly.

3. Wouldn't be surprised if this is special teams based for this game.
    Injured tight end Rob Gronkowski plays in the wedge on special teams and the team might want to lessen his load there, given his high ankle sprain, and Silvestro can step in.

4. This should mean Chad Ochocinco is active.

5. In a longer than normal game, one that is also played indoors, keeping players fresh figures to be important. Silvestro adds depth as part of a possible rotation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

[QUOTE]Flipping the 53rd man on the bench....thinking about the 2nd half when the temp could be 85 in the Polian dome?
    Posted by krismk[/QUOTE]

Funny that you mention "85" as the temp that ruins the Giants day...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]Mike Reiss's comments: INDIANAPOLIS --
    A few thoughts on the release of receiver Tiquan Underwood and the promotion of defensive lineman Alex Silvestro:
    1. This seems harsh to Underwood, who by most accounts is a great kid. At the same time, the move is consistent with how the Patriots have managed their roster all year, making a lot of moves the day before a game based on needs for that contest.
    2. Underwood should be back in 2012, if he wants. This is not a disciplinary based decision, according to a source. The team likes him. Underwood has been the team's third, fourth or fifth receiver this year and has played sparingly.
    3. Wouldn't be surprised if this is special teams based for this game. Injured tight end Rob Gronkowski plays in the wedge on special teams and the team might want to lessen his load there, given his high ankle sprain, and Silvestro can step in.
    4. This should mean Chad Ochocinco is active.
    5. In a longer than normal game, one that is also played indoors, keeping players fresh figures to be important. Silvestro adds depth as part of a possible rotation.
    Posted by GO47[/QUOTE]

The move makes sense.  I'm sure they made Underwood aware of the possibility earlier in the week.  Still....it's a bummer for him I'm sure.  But, it's Bill doing what he feels is the best thing for the team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

haha this pic is hilarious: BB in high school