UNSUNG PATS OF THE DECADE (with rings)!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

UNSUNG PATS OF THE DECADE (with rings)!

Talking strictly as players, i assume that most here can agree on the following 10 guys in some combination as the most glorious pats: Tom Brady, Adam VinatieriTroy BrownRichard SeymourWillie McGinestTy LawTedy BruschiMike VrabelRodney Harrison, and Kevin Faulk. Randy Moss, Junior Seau and Wes Welker would belong somewhere in the top 10 if they had SB RINGS with the pats. if all inclusive, i would add belichick, mr. kraft and paoli too but how many tackles and sacks do they have? 
    What inspired me to do this list was about giving some love and shout-out to the more anonymous and unsung guys who have helped put the Pats on the elite map as SB winners this past decade! 

i was thinking about guys like Corey DillonMatt Light, ben watson, antowain smith, tebucky jones, JR redmond, bobby hamilton, joe andruzzi, stephen neal (been a pat since 2001), david patten, christian fauria (brought style and coolness), daniel graham, ted johnson (give his heart and brains to the team), bryan cox (brought the TUDE), asante samuel (still cant replace him), larry izzo,(special teams captain of champions), david givens, deion branch (SB MVP for christ sakes), drew bledsoe (without him, no brady), ty warren (unsung run stopper), vince wilfork, ted washington (without him, we dont win SB that year or properly develop wilfork), ken walter, lawyer milloy, marc edwards, damien woody, Patrick Pass (bit of everything, a winner), lonie paxton (snow angel baby), jermaine wiggins (snow game baby which started it all.. pats version of dave roberts), and roman phifer (the original vrabel, all around hi character good guy)!

my top 10 would be: izzo, matt light, phifer, wilfork, dillon, watson, patten, tedy johnson, branch, and  asante samuel!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: TOP 10 PATS OF THE DECADE.. your final 5 and pool for honorable mention from each position?

Tedy B. MLB offcourse
    Willie Mc. OLB
    Rodney Harrison S
    Mike Vrabel OLB
    Kevin Faulk RB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

Re: TOP 10 PATS OF THE DECADE.. your final 5 and pool for honorable mention from each position?

pats73, good job. i totally blacked out on rodney harrison. it may be too early to include moss and welker and ANY guy who hasnt won a ring! your list features all the unsung winners! and these guys are multiple winners. ty law played corner. pats put more emphasis on LB and a safety like harrison. must do more type of stuff and know more schemes and intricate packages. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: TOP 10 PATS OF THE DECADE.. your final 5 and honorable mention from each position?

Thanks bubba, I couldn't put law in.  I still remember all the bad mouthing he did before and after leaving.  I do not consider him a great Patriot, great CB once upon a time but not a great Patriot.

To me Teddy, describe as "the perfect player" by BB is what been a Patriot is all about.  Guess AD did not pay attention to him or Vrabel.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from STP43FAN. Show STP43FAN's posts

TOP 10 PATS OF THE DECADE PLUS HONORABLE MENTIONS - My Own Choices

1 - Tom Brady - nothing else needs to be said.
    2 - Corey Dillon - running back of exceptional toughness.
    3 - Randy Moss - changed what had been a good passing game into a record-breaking one.
    4 - Wes Welker - Mr. Slot.
    5 - Kevin Faulk - became Mr. Everything - key season was 2002 as his fumble against the Packers proved decisive; it made him change into a winning player.
    6 - Rodney Harrison - Became the undisputed leader of the defense; feud with Brad Hopkins of the Titans and then trash-talking Brian Billick was hilarious.
    7 - Mike Vrabel - Mr. Versitility.
    8 - Junior Seau - jumped in cold and adapted so fast I'm still wondering why they didn't get him in 2003 with Harrison.
    9 - Troy Brown - Joins Brady, Tip, Hog Hannah, and Bruschi as ultimate Patriot lifers.
    10 - Willie McGinest - linebacker leader.

HONORABLE MENTIONS -

Ty Law - physical corner.
    Bryan Cox - the all-time image of the decade was him flattening Jerome Pathon.
    Adam Vinatieri - was ultimate clutch kicker.
    Stephen Gostkowski - one lights-out kicker left, so the Patriots drafted another.
    Deion Branch - hated how he shot his way out of town, but he was good.
    Ben Watson - gets too much grief as a receiver; is better than he gets credit for.
    Reche Caldwell - jumped in cold in wake of Branch flap and adapted well; gets scapegoated for AFC title loss and he doesn't deserve that.
    Jabar Gaffney - underrated receiver.
    Donte Stallworth - underutilized deep threat.
    Tebucky Jones - never gets enough credit for playing on defense.
    Matt Cassel - saved 2008 season; began season being carried by team; ended it carrying them.
    Drew Bledsoe - ended Patriots career on emotionally positive note; best shot is of him hugging an O-lineman after the touchdown in 2001 Pittsburgh playoff game.
    Jarvis Green - became Peyton Manning's nightmare.
    Asante Samuel - became superb corner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Re: TOP 10 PATS OF THE DECADE.. your final 5 and honorable mention from each position?

Troy Brown

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Tom Brady - nuff said
    Troy Brown - Mr Patriot
    Willie Mac - The 3rd over all pick, leading sacker in playoff history
    Ty Law - The best corner the Pat's have ever had
    Seymour - Won a ring as a rookie starter, ALL PRO, a monster
    Bruschi - Team leader, bigtime play maker
    Faulk - 3rd down machine and special teams ace
    Ted Johnson - Tackle machine, run stuffer
    Rodney Harrison - Took us from a winner to a dynasty
    Adam V - Ended games we might've or should've or would've lost, ice water in his veins

All but Harrison are original Patriots, nobody had a bigger hand in 3 championships than these guys. I had a hard time not keeping Izzo, Vrabel and going with Rodney over Lawyer Milloy on there, even placing a kicker on there bothered me but...  this is the definitive list from where I'm sitting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: TOP 10 UNSUNG PATS OF THE DECADE (with rings)!

First: 3/14/2009
    Last: 12/29/2009
    Troy Brown
    "You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!
    The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia,
    but only slightly less well-known is this:
    Never go in against

Is your troll-dar so weak, Evil?  Don't you know that bubbazilla is bugboy?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Antowain Smith, can't forget him and J.R. Redmond was instrumental in the 1st SB winning drive.

'' Smith rejuvenated his professional career when he joined the Patriots. He ran for 1,157 yards and 12 touchdowns in the regular season. He also ran for 204 yards in the playoffs as the Patriots won Super Bowl XXXVI. 2003 was Smith's final season in New England and he managed just 642 yards, although he still led the team in rushing. His play improved in the playoffs that year as he ran for 252 yards and 2 scores as Smith and the Patriots won their second Super Bowl Championship. ''

''Redmond caught three passes in the Patriots' game-winning overtime drive of the famous "Snow Bowl" playoff game against the Oakland Raiders. The Patriots went on to win their first SB title, with Redmond catching 3 passes for 24 yards on the Patriots' game-winning drive in the fourth quarter. ''

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from atz640. Show atz640's posts

Mankins got here after all of our super bowls.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

atz, u are right. i just mentioned that last month. he was drafted in 2005. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

No one mentioned Joe Andruzzi, Bobby Hamilton, Matt Chatham or Anthony Pleasant either. It's good to look back at this roster, full of unsung heroes.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/rosters.nsf/Annual/2001-ne

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from atz640. Show atz640's posts

The only reason I mentioned it is cuz you mentioned it in the original post.  Good post though!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The Pats never beat the Rams if not for a guy named J. R. Redmond.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

mighty patriotz, i am really YOUR father, now go to your room and slit your wrists!

PatsRfine, this is y i did this. guys like antowain get forgotten. he really should be in my top 10 somewhere. i loved his running style. loved how he would just pick it up in the 4th quarter after wearing guys down and just start running over guys. he is what he was. not elite but great guy to have on a roster. corey dillion was elite but then u got the tude that often comes with those types. 'towain also knew what he was. he got better in the playoffs. nice, steady guy. he kept the position warm for dillon. was hoping that maroney could at least be like him but the fumbling thing is irking me. JR redmond had his moments in that super bowl and those playoffs that year but just seemed to fall off the earth with injuries and what not. plus, faulk was able to duplicate a lot of stuff he did. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Re: UNSUNG PATS OF THE DECADE (with rings)!

Willie McGinest - How many times I think if he is a Pat in 07, Eli gets sacked on the third down play, Willie ALWAYS made the big sack in the big game..Remember it was he who sacked Warner on third down in SB36 to force the punt that gave Brady the ball for the game winning drive....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Unsung???

Try J.R. Redmond, whose catches keyed the game-winning drive in Super Bowl XXXVI.  Also remember Jermaine Wiggins, whose big game helped keep the Pats afloat in the Snow Bowl game (tuck rule).  Earthwind Moreland played a serviceable cornerback when the Pats' d-backs started dropping like flies in '03 & '04.  Keith Traylor had a tough act to follow when he took over at nose tackle after Ted Washington retired and anchored the nose in the Pats' 3-4 en route to winning Super Bowl XXXIX.  Antowain SmithDavid PattenDavid GivensBryan CoxRoman PhiferRuss Hochstein.  The list goes on.  Everyone remembers Vrabel, Harrison, Bruschi, Seymour, Brady, and Dillon.  Those guys I mentioned are my UNSUNG Patriots who won Super Bowls.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

First: 4/8/2009
    Last: 12/29/2009
    No one mentioned Joe Andruzzi, Bobby Hamilton, Matt Chatham or Anthony Pleasant either. It's good to look back at this roster, full of unsung heroes.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/rosters.nsf/Annual/2001-ne

Nice, although I'm not too happy with FireFox (with NoScript and AdBlock add-ons) being incompatible with this forum.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

David Patten was THE Colt's Killer...and Anthony Pleasant..an old sergeant on the D-Line

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

other people have already said this, but where the hell is KEVIN FAULK on your original post???  hes been MR RELIABLE for the pats.  i believe he is the longest tenured patriot as well... that could be wrong though.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

How bout Otis "we shocked the world" Smith???

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Our Beastie From Eastie...Jermaine Wiggins!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from welly. Show welly's posts

My two really unsung PATS of the 2000s:
    1. Otis Smith (who could have been the MVP of SB XXXVI)
    2. Roman Phifer

Two football players who BB knew he could depend on in big games...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

FAULK WAS always included. what u talking bout fowler?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

POTIS SMITH is a great choice. always just hangin on til u saw him playing esp in the clutch. was a daredevil out there, kind of like a poor man's asante samuel.