Updated 2011 Mock Draft (updated on 4/25/11)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxpowers034. Show maxpowers034's posts

Great Mock Drafts at 60 Max Power O

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Updated 2011 Mock Draft (updated on 4/18/11)

Is Ryan Mallett the second coming of Ryan Leaf? The guy is physically the best QB available...hands down. But, will substance abuse issues could knock him into the middle of round two: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/20/reports-ryan-mallett-skipped-panthers-visit-after-late-night-out/, and
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/671826-carmelo-anthony-manny-pacquiao-green-bay-packers-and-wednesdays-sports-news/entry/66677-ryan-mallett-why-skipping-panthers-meeting-is-a-bad-sign-for-mallletts-stock?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bleacherreport%2FdGcS+%28Bleacher+Report+%29

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

All the talk about the Pats using one of their three top 33 picks on RB Mark Ingram is, hopefully, a bunch of hogwash. The Pats must address their DL, and find a couple of guys who can get pressure on opposing QBs. Aren't you-all tired of the passive "bend but don't break" defense, and of seeing mediocre QBs like Mark Sanchez pick apart the Pats' "D"?:

New England Patriots: Immediate need: an elite pass rusher

"It was easy for Bill Belichick to look like a genius during his defensive coordinator days with the Giants. Back then he had Lawrence Taylor, perhaps the most feared pass rusher of the past 40 years, making life hell on opposing passers.

Here during his New England days, he's duct-taped together defenses with the likes of Mike Vrabel and Willie McGinest as his top pass rushers. Nice players, sure. But not the leg-snapping threat of an LT. Efforts to find their replacements in free agency have largely failed (Roosevelt Colvin, Adalius Thomas) and efforts to pick up an elite pass rusher in the draft have been non-existent.

It's time to change that philosophy.

After all, Belichick maintains his reputation as a genius coach. But the onfield product does not live up to the coach's billing. The last truly great pass defense Belichick produced was in 2003, when the Patriots led the NFL in scoring D (the only time under Belichick) and posted a 58.6 Defensive Passer Rating, one of the toughest pass-defense units of the past decade.

Since then, the pass defense has consistently failed New England in key situations, from Eli Manning's final drive of Super Bowl XLI to Mark Sanchez's 127.3 rating effort against the Patriots in the divisional playoffs back in January.

The lack of a pass rush is a huge problem. The Patriots appeared to find a shutdown corner last year in Devin McCourty. But even the best CBs can cover only so long if a quarterback has all day to pass. And in recent years, opposing quarterbacks have sat patiently in the pocket picking apart New England's defenses.

The team has danced here in the lead-up to the draft with the likes of former Heisman Trophy-winning running back Mark Ingram. But drafting him would be a huge mistake. After all, the team ran the ball incredibly well in 2011 and productive running backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL, as New England history proves.

An elite pass rusher will have a much bigger impact, especially for a team that already boasts an elite offense and has proven desperate for big play makers on defense in the postseason."
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/04/20/nfl-draft-needs/index.html#ixzz1KGNyPp85    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I can't imagine the selection of Ingram with so many good RBs later in the draft.  Especially with the pass rush issue and potential players that could remedy the situation.  It just can't be justified.

The talk is Miami goes after him basically for the same reason QB starved teams will go after QBs quickly.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I can't imagine the selection of Ingram with so many good RBs later in the draft.  Especially with the pass rush issue and potential players that could remedy the situation.  It just can't be justified.

The talk is Miami goes after him basically for the same reason QB starved teams will go after QBs quickly.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Updated 2011 Mock Draft (updated on 4/18/11):
    [QUOTE]I can't imagine the selection of Ingram with so many good RBs later in the draft.  Especially with the pass rush issue and potential players that could remedy the situation.  It just can't be justified. The talk is Miami goes after him basically for the same reason QB starved teams will go after QBs quickly.   
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

Gary...Miami is one of those QB starved teams, too. The best QB in this draft, talent wise, is Ryan Mallett. But, unlike the scouting departments of each team, we don't have any insights as to who Mallett is as a person. There's risk factors to every player. But, in the NFL, the one truth is that your team doesn't win consistently without good QB play. Unless the off field negatives are horrible, Mallett might be worth risking a high #1 pick on. He could be the next Ryan Leaf...or the next Dan Marino.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i like the out of the box thinking. there are sure to be some surprises on draft day. but...i think newton to carolina is a done deal. everything else is up in the air, so i like the idea of throwing some curve balls. but not that one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Miami is hurting at QB but they do have a warm body.  The RB situation looks to be worse with both RBs in FA.  Miami could hold out to the 2nd round to see what's there at QB.  Maybe move up in the 2nd.

This QB stuff is a mess.  Mallett is up one day and down the next.  Newton needs to watch from the sidelines for a year or two.  A lot of talent but he's miles away from the NFL game.  My guess is Gabbert will be the first QB off the board.  Where does Locker fit in all of this?  Ponder has made a surge.  Talk of Kaepernick has died down a lot.

The QB needy teams will have a big say in how the draft plays out, that's for sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

watching mallet play in the bowl game against my al ma mater the ohio state university i wasn't really impressed. he made many bad decisions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Updated 2011 Mock Draft (updated on 4/18/11) : I believe that there are a few players that people are way over on. 1) Wisniewski, not that good at OC, only decent OG. 2) Newton, huge boom or bust, too risky for a top 5 pick 3) Watkins, he is solid, but not a top 5 OG in this draft!  His age alone will put him in late 2nd to mid 3rd round pick.
    Posted by gln826[/QUOTE]

I agree as to Wisniewski and Newton. But, I don't see Watkins dropping past the second round. It's true that he's 26 years old...but the kid is a beast. He played LT at Baylor for the past two years. Aside Mike Pouncey, he is listed as the best OG prospect available in this draft class. Look for the Patriots, Packers, Steelers, Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys in particular, to show second round interest.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Miami is hurting at QB but they do have a warm body.  The RB situation looks to be worse with both RBs in FA.  Miami could hold out to the 2nd round to see what's there at QB.  Maybe move up in the 2nd. This QB stuff is a mess.  Mallett is up one day and down the next.

RESPONSE: The character concerns are the only thing preventing Mallett from being the top QB prospect in this draft class. Since none of us know "the real story" with Mallett, it's tough to predict where he'll fall. But, make no mistake about it...the Dolphins need a QB. Having a "warm body" available to play the position is totally unsatisfactory. It would be a huge mistake for the 'Fins to spend their 15th overall pick on a RB...especially when you consider that Miami does not own a second round pick this year (lost in the Brandon Marshall trade).  

Newton needs to watch from the sidelines for a year or two.  A lot of talent but he's miles away from the NFL game.

RESPONSE: The same holds true for every QB prospect available in this draft. The most NFL ready seems to be Mallett. But, there are those character issues.

My guess is Gabbert will be the first QB off the board.  Where does Locker fit in all of this?  Ponder has made a surge.  Talk of Kaepernick has died down a lot. The QB needy teams will have a big say in how the draft plays out, that's for sure.

RESPONSE: Newton as the top overall pick in Carolina would be a mistake, The kid is too raw. Nonetheless, most pundits have him going first overall to Carolina. Gabbert needs to play in the right system, under the right coach. San Francisco would be a good landing spot for him. But, I doubt he'll be around when they pick, at #7 overall. Locker seemed to lose confidence last season, playing for a mediocre at best Washington team. The talk on Kaepernick is that he's on the rise. He's big, athletic, and possesses a cannon for an arm: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/players.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2011&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

My comments on a warm body meant that the Dolphins may not have the answer at QB but he is serviceable.  If there is a run on QBs who would be there?  Now if Cam Newton for some freakish reason falls to Miami they would have to pull the trigger on that.  But I don't anything like that happening so that's why I go with Ingram to Miami.

While it is reasonable that all rookie QBs should be watching from the sidelines you know it isn't going to happen.  Mallett is sure to see the field and as you said is the most well prepared to do so.  Gabbert can if put in the right situation which I believe Arizona or SF to be.

If I'm a Panthers fan it would be a hard one to swallow if they went QB with the first pick.  With no 2nd rounder, holes galore and a tough schedule the Panthers seem to be the winner of next years Luck sweepstakes.  Throwing Cam Newton into this situation would ruin him.  A very ill fit.  We're in agreement here.  A huge mistake.

Mallett is the elephant in the room.  Of course guys like Roethlisberger isn't helping his off field issues out at all.  Mallett has the cannon arm but also has experience with the pro style offense.  This puts a huge dent in the NFL learning curve.  I don't think enough is said about him playing in the SEC either.  But there are those nasty off the field questions.

Locker is a hard one to figure out.  High on draft boards but I wonder if he falls and a guy like Kaepernick takes his place.       

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BamaPat. Show BamaPat's posts

I think most of us will only know a whole lot about our first pick, so I didn't add names beyond the first pick. 

This is about what I think will happen - not what I think should happen. We only have a handful of 2012 picks, which is not the BB/Patriots way. 

BB will also target some help in free agency, which will happen once a CBA is in place. And he could use one of the high 2012 picks acquired below coupled with some other picks to get a high impact player like Larry Fitz or someone on the defensive side of the ball if he could get just the right deal:

Pick 17: Trade for 2012 1st round pick, 2012 third rounder and one pick in 5/6 range this year or next

Pick 28: Trade back for either pick 29, 31 or 32 this year and a pick in the 5/6/7 range this year

Pick: 29, 31 or 32 (via trade): Muhammad Wilkerson, DL, Temple.

Pick: 33: Trade for 2012 2nd round pick (with a rebuilding team so the pick will probably be comparable), a 2012 third rounder and 2012 5/6 rounder

Pick 60: Traded back to mid third round this year and a lower pick this year or next

Pick 74: Best RB available

Pick 82 to 85 (via trade): Best olb available

Pick 92: Trade for one lower 2011 pick and one lower 2012 pick

Rounds 4-7: In this order of priority: Best OL, linebacker, DL, DB available

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]One of the things I don't do is put a lot of stock in Profootballtalks draft.  They are terrible.  However, they aren't the only ones out there saying this.  No FA is placing a lot of pressure on QB needy teams thus pushing the QBs up the board.  My question is what do you do with them because of the lockout?  The freshly drafted QB comes in behind.  It seems going with what you have makes more sense but of course ignorance of the situation is my downfall.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

True, Gary. But it's also true that, because of this labor mess, no trades can be made for veteran QBs/players. This will serve to push the college QBs up the board, because teams can't rely on a veteran QB becoming available to them in the future.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex ~ Interesting idea comparing Kipers Draft with your own .   Who knowss...maybe you will bets him. One thing is certain , NOBODY has a clue as to exactly which way this particular draft is going to go....too many variables this year.      I also like that you include trades... However I find it hard to believe that moving back 10 spots with #28 is going to net the Pats an extra 2011 1st rounder .   Not gonna happen. Plus , If there any sure thing in this draft , it's that #33 will be traded .
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

Captain, and All:

I've updated, and changed the format around. Now, the draft in black is whom I think that each team will select...while the mock in red represents who I think each team should take.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Updated 2011 Mock Draft (updated on 4/24/11)

Here, BB explains why it's necessary to know about each player on the draft board: http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/16561/Belichick-explains-why-the-Patriots-met-with-Locker-and-Mallett/Default.aspx

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Updated 2011 Mock Draft (updated on 4/24/11)

Here's an SI cite, which lists player profiles on every player available in the upcoming draft: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2011/players/A.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Updated 2011 Mock Draft (updated on 4/25/11)

To my posting buds...I've added and modified my mock draft. It now covers the top 76 players. Why 76? Check out my mock above and see.

Doing this mock was time consuming, but alot of fun. I hope it serves to introduce you to some players whom perhaps you have not heard of before...and gets you as stoked up for the draft as I am!

In light of the efforts of the player agents who have hijacked the NFLPA's position, let's hope that this years' draft is not the league's last draft.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Updated 2011 Mock Draft (updated on 4/25/11):
    [QUOTE]     With this latest update, I changed the format of my mock as follows:       I have replaced the Mel Kiper selections listed in bold black print are those that I think each team will make. The selections in red are where I play GM...and list who I would take at each spot, and why.       Here is my new top 76: 1.) Carolina Panthers: QB Cam Newton, Auburn: No matter how you slice it, the Panthers top need is at QB. Many judge Newton as the top QB available in terms of upside.  1.) Carolina Panthers: DT Marcel Dareus, Alabama: While having a top flight QB is a must, football games are still won in the trenches. DT is a huge need position for Carolina, and Dareus is a far safer pick than Cam Newton. I see Newton as the second coming of Vince Young at best. His putrid performance in the NCAA title game against Oregon told me all I needed to know about him; 2.) Denver Broncos: DT Marcel Dareus, Alabama:  As is the case with Carolina, DT is a huge position of need for the Broncos.  2.) Denver Broncos: CB Patrick Peterson, LSU: The Broncos will attempt to trasde down, but will find no takers. Peterson is the highest rated player in this draft. Hehas the size and talent to play star at either CB or safety, for the next 8-10 years. Considering that CB Champ Bailey turns 33 in June, and safety Brian Dawkins turns 38 in October, this is also a "need" pick ; 3.) Buffalo Bills: OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M: Bills' coach Chan Gailey has found memories of Miller in the Senior Bowl. QB Blaine Gabbert should, and will, garner consideration. But, with this high a pick, it is imperative that it's used to land a guy who will be a very good player. Miller is ready to step in, and be the Bills' Clay Matthews.   3.) Buffalo Bills: OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M:  Gabbert is talented, but will likely need at least a year of seasoning. The Bills want and need an impact player...not a project. As a team, Buffalo had just 27 sacks last season. They'll wait til round two to look at QBs ; 4.) Cincinnati Bengals: WR A.J. Green, Georgia:  Many view Green as the best player available in this draft. The Bengals hope to lure Carson Palmer back onto the field with this pick. In addition, getting Green will allow them to say goodbye to both Chad Ochocinco, and T.O.. 4.) Cincinnati Bengals: QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri: Bengals' GM Mike Brown needs to face reality. Carson Palmer will retire, rather than play for the Bengals. Unfortunately for Brown, the labor mess prevent him from shipping Palmer off to Arizona, say, for their second round pick. He must go QB here ; 5.) Arizona Cardinals: QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri:  The Cards are just a good QB away from being a playoff team, again. The addition of Gabbert could entice WR Larry Fitzgerald to stay on in Arizona.  5.) Arizona Cardinals: DE/OLB Robert Quinn, North Carolina:  The Cards weep as they watch the top three players on their draft board, Gabbert, Peterson, and Miller, evaporate prior to their pick. Joey Porter is done at OLB. So, the Cards "Plan B" will be to grab a pass rusher in Quinn, and try to convert him to a 3-4 DE. That said, I'd take QB Ryan Mallett, if the character issues are not too serious; 6.) Cleveland Browns: NT/DE Nick Fairley, Auburn:  Though WR Julio Jones would fill a glaring hole at WR....Mike Holmgren knows that football games are won in the trenches.  6.) Cleveland Browns: DT/DE Nick Fairley, Auburn: Some call Fairley a "one year wonder", and others question his maturity. But, Fairley was the best defensive lineman in college football last year...and played his best in the biggest games. Sounds mature enough to me; 7.) San Francisco 49ers: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU: Mediocre secondary needs an upgrade...and Peterson is the highest rated player available. 7.) San Francisco 49ers: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska: The 49ers need an edge pass rusher. But, Aldon Smith seems to be too mkuch of a project to justify being taken at this point. With starting CB Nate Clemons slowing down, and due for a new contract, Amakumara seems to make the most sense; 8.) Tennessee Titans: QB Jake Locker, Washington: The Titans must come out of this draft with a QB . 8.) Tenn. Titans: QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas: Cam Newton is another Vince Young, at best. I can't get the memory of his poor showing in the BCS title game out of my mind. Boom or bust pick, here. But, the Titans have nothing at QB. Mallett is the most NFL ready QB prospect available. T he Titans will also consider pouncing on C/OG MikePouncey...since they are one of the few running teams remaining in the league. Star RB Chris Johnson has far less running room in 2010, than in 2009. Pouncey would help to rectify that.  9.) Dallas Cowboys: OT Tyron Smith, USC: After seeing Tony Romo get splattered last year, this pick seems to make sense. But, in the world of Jerry Jones... Dallas Cowboys: DE J.J. Watt, Wisconsin: Though the Cowboys must improve their OL, they also need help at DE. Watt appears to be the perfect fie as a 5 technique, 3-4 DE; 10.) Washington Redskins: QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas: The 'Skins are desperate for a QB. 10.) Washington Redskins: QB Cam Newton, Auburn: Boom or bust for the 'Skins, here;. I just can't get the poor performance that Newton had in the BCS championship game against Oregon out of my mind. Still, he has all the tools;   11.) Houston Texans: DE/OLB Robert Quinn, North Carolina: The Texans are switching to a 3-4, under new DC, Wade Phillips. Will Quinn be Phillips' Shawne Merriman/DeMarcus Ware? 11.) Houston Texans: DE/OLB Aldon Smith, Missouri: Though the Titan's secondary was a joke last season, Smith fills the bill as a pass rushing OLB; 12.) Minnesota Vikings: DT Corey Liuget, Illinois: DT Pat Williams is 38 years old, and needs to be replaced. 12.) Minnesota Vikings: DT Corey Liuget:  See above;  13.) Detroit Lions: CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska: Those of us who remember the Thanksgiving Day roasting of Lions' CB Alphonso Smith can readily appreciate the necessity of Detroit adding a CB. 13.) Detroit Lions: OT Tyron Smith, USC:  Protecting alleged franchise QB Matthew Stafford has got to be a major concern, after Stafford painful 2010 campaign; 14.) St. Louis Rams: WR Julio Jones. Alabama: QB Sam Bradford gets his go to WR; 14.) St. Louis Rams: WR A.J. Green, Georgia:  As we saw in the play-in into the play-offs game in Seattle, QB Sam Bradford had no one to throw to. Green is a steal at #14; 15.) Miami Dolphins: RB Mark Ingram, Alabama: Incumbent RBs Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams are UFAs. 15.) Miami Dolphins: OG/C Mike Pouncey, Florida:  Though the 'Fins must find a QB, the best ones are gone. They need to address the interior of their OL; 16.) Jacksonville Jaguars: DE Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue:  The Jags are still looking for that guy who can get to Peyton Manning. 16.) Jacksonville Jaguars: DE Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue: See above; 17.) New England Patriots: DE J.J. Watt, Wisconsin:  POn paper, this guy appears to be the perfect fit for a DE in the Patriots' 3-4 system.  17.) New England Patriots: DE/DT Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple: Selecting Wilkerson over Jordan is a  tough call. But, BB lover versatile players, and Wilkerson has the ability to play every position on the Pats' DL . Other possibilities include OTs Anthony Castonzo, Derek Sherrod or Gabe Carimi; 18.) San Diego Chargers: DT/DE Muhammad Wilkerson : Great potential as a 3-4 DE makes him a good fit in San Diego. 18.) San Diego Chargers: DE Cameron Jordan, California : Played 3-4 DE in very effectively college. Impressed during the Senior Bowl practices; 19.) New York Giants: OG/C Mike Pouncey, Florida: Injuries and age served to deplete the interior of the Giants OL in 2010. 19.) New York Giants: OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College:  The G-men need to fix their OL in general. They really wanted Mike Pouncey; 20.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DE Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson: The Bucs hope that Bowers' knee is sound. If so, he's a steal at this point;  20.) Tampa Bay Bucs: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson: Boom or bust. Bowers could be well worth the gamble ; 21.) Kansas City Chiefs: OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin:   Carimi is a nasty, mauling blocker. Just what the Chiefs need to fortify their running game, and solidify their OL. 21.) Kansas City Chiefs: OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin: See above;  22.) Indianapolis Colts: OT Derrick Sherrod, Mississippi State: Needed to protect "The Franchise's" blind side. 22.) Indianapolis Colts: OT Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State: See explanation above; 23.) Philadelphia Eagles: CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado:  Smith is a tall CB, which may cause Philly fans to fondly reminisce about former star, and tall Philly CB, Bobby Taylor; 23.) Philadelphia Eagles: CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado: See above; 24.) New Orleans Saints: DT/DE Cameron Heywood, Ohio State:  The Saints need help on their DL. The versatile Heyward can play DE, or DT. 24.) New Orleans Saints: DT/DE Cameron Heywood, Ohio State:  See above; 25.) Seattle Seahawks: QB Colin Kaepernick, Nevada:  Grooming the eventual replacement for Matt Hasselbeck. 25.) Seattle Seahawks: QB Colin Kaepernick, Nevada: See above ; 26.) Baltimore Ravens: OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College:   The Buzzards hope that Castonzo Solder will be their LT for the next 10 years. 26.) Baltimore Ravens: WR Julio Jones. Alabama:  A great value at this point in the draft;  27.) Atlanta Falcons: DE Cameron Jordan, California:  DE John Abraham is aging, and will soon need tobe replaced.  27.) Atlanta Falcons: TE Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame:  The Falcons prepare for life after Tony Gonzalez; 28.) San Francisco 49ers (via a trade with the New England Patriots): QB Andy Dalton, TCU:  Dalton reminds me of Drew Brees. He doesn't possess the strongest arm in the world. But he's accurate, bright, and a winner.  28.) San Francisco 49ers via trade with New England Patriots: QB Jake Locker, Washington: See above. In this trade, the 49ers receive the Pats' 28th and 95th overall picks, in return for their 45th and 76th selections this year, plus a second round pick in 2012;     29.) Chicago Bears: DT Marvin Austin, North Carolina:  Da' Bears must replace DT Tommy Harris, who they recently released. 29.) Chicago Bears: DT Marvin Austin, North Carolina:  See above ; 30.) New York Jets: OLB Akeem Ayers, UCLA:  The hated Gothams are still trying to erase the Vernon Golston mistake; 30.) New York Jets: OLB Akeem Ayers, UCLA: The Jets hope that Ayers is the answer to their OLB prayers; 31.) Pittsburgh Steelers: CB Aaron Williams, Texas: The Steelers' weakness at CB was exploited by Aaron Rodgers, vis Jordie Nelson. 31.) Pittsburgh Steelers: OG/OT Ben Ijalana, Villanova: The Steelers draft Big Ben to help protect Big Ben; 32.) Green Bay Packers: OT Nate Solder, Colorado:  Protecting Aaron Rodgers is job one in Green Bay. 32.) Green Bay Packers: OLB Brooks Reed, Arizona: Could be a Clay Matthews clone. 33.) New England Patriots: OLB/DE Brooks Reed, Arizona:  The Pats hope that Reed is the answer to their pass-rushing prayers. 33.) New England Patriots: DE/OLB Justin Houston, Georgia: Could Houston finally be the guy to replace Willie McGinest? 34.) Buffalo Bills: QB Christian Ponder, Florida State:  Ponder appears to possess all the physical tools to develop into an NFL QB.  34.) Buffalo Bills: QB Andy Dalton, TCU:  Dalton is, first and foremost, a winner. He's won in college, and is more used to playing in cold weather games. With Ryan Fitzpatroick around, he'll have time to learn the position; 35.) Cincinnati Bengals: QB Ricky Stanzi, Iowa: An underrated prospect. Could surprise. 35.) Cincinnati Bengals: WR Torrey Smith, Maryland:  The wisdom of passing on a WR at #4, and taking Blaine Gabbert instead, shines on through. Great value pick by the Bengals; 36.) Denver Broncos: RB Mikel Leshoure, Illinois: Denveradds much needed depth and talent at RB.  36.) Denver Broncos: RB Mark Ingram, Alabama: If things fall in accordance with whom I think each team will take, Ingram will be available to Denver here ; 37.) Cleveland Browns: DE Jabaal Sheard, Pittsburgh: The Browns need help at DE, now that they're switching to a 4-3 "D".  37.) Cleveland Browns: DE Jabaal Sheard:  See above ; 38.) Arizona Cardinals: OLB Dontay Moch, Nevada:  Joey Porter is old and tired. Only his mouth plays up to it's days of yester-year. 38.) Arizona Cardinals: OLB Dontay Moch, Nevada:  BCan't have enough pass-rushers. Bye-bye, Joey baby! 39.) Tennessee Titans: DE Justin Houston, Georgia:  Having landed their QB with their top pick, the Titans now move to address their DL .   39.) Tennessee Titans: OG/C Rodney Hudson, Florida State: The Titans need to solidy the interior of their OL, in order to ensure that star RB Chris Johnson has some running room;  40.) Dallas Cowboys: CB Brandon Harris, Miami:  The Dallas secondary is becoming a joke...as is the Cowboys' team, in general. 40.) Dallas Cowboys: CB Aaron Williams, Texas:  See above; 41.) Washington Redskins: WR Torrey Smith, Maryland:  The new 'Skins' QB is given a deep threat. 41.) Washington Redskins: OT Nate Solder, Colorado:  The Redskins are the beneficiaries of one of the top OTs available, falling through the cracksShanahan craves; 42.) Houston Texans: FS Raheem Moore, UCLA: The Texans try to shore up their porous secondary with the addition of Moore; 42.) Houston Texans: CB Brandon Harris, Miami: The Texans must improve their secondary; 43.) Minnesota Vikings: QB Patrick Devlin, Delaware: The Vikings roll dice on a QB. 43.) Minnesota Vikings: QB Christian Ponder, Florida State: Ponder could slip down to the Vikings at pick #43; 44.) Detroit Lions: OLB Chris Carter, Fresno State: The Lions hope that Carter can provide them with an edge pass-rush. 44.) Detroit L:ions: OLB Chris Carter, Fresno State: See above; 45.) New England Patriots (from S.F. 49ers): OG/OT Ben Ijalana, Villanova: It's really a toss-up here between Big Ben, and Danny Watkins. Both players have a nasty disposition, and project to the NFL as OGs. Provides insurance against a Logan Mankins' defection. 45.) New England Patriots: RB Mikel Leshoure: Could be the best available RB in the draft.   46.) Denver Broncos (from Miami via Marshall trade): FS Raheem Moore, UCLA: B rian Dawkins is still a decent player. But, he'll turn 38 years old next season. A replacement must be found. 46.) Denver Broncos: DT Stephen Paea, Oregon State: The Broncos attempt to solidify the middle of their new 4-3 defense by adding a stud DT;        47.) St. Louis Rams: DE Adrian Clayborn, Iowa:  Steve Spagnuloo hopes that Clayborn will give him an outside pass-rush, that he hasn't seen since he left the Giants. 47.) St. Louis Rams: DE Adrian Clayborn, Iowa: See above; 48.) Oakland Raiders: OT/OG Marcus Cannon, TCU: Somebody will wake up Uncle Al just in time to make this pick. The Raiders' OL needs to be addressed, as there are questions at LG, with Robert Gallery sure to be leaving through free agency, and at RT. The mamouth Cannon could fill either void. 48.) Oakland Raiders: OT/OG Marcus Cannon, TCU: See above; 49.) Jacksonville Jaguars: WR Leonard Hankerson, Miami: The Jags hope that Hankerson becomes the go-to WR, that they so desperately need. 49.) Jacksonville Jaguars: FS Raheem Moore, UCLA: The Jags are thrilled that Moore is still on the board. Their secondary is a mess; 50.) San Diego Chargers: WR Greg Little, North Carolina: It's doubtful that Vincent Jackson remains a Charger. San Diego loves tall WRs.  50.) San Diego Chargers: WR Greg Little, North Carolina: See above; 51.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: ILB Martez Wilson, Illinois:  Long time Buc ILB Barrett Ruud is a free agent. Wilson will be his replacement. 51.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: ILB Martez Wilson, Illinois: See above; 52.) New York Giants: RB Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech: Williams could be the best RB in this draft class. Has breakaway speed; 52.) New York Giants: RB Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech: See above. Great value pick by the G-men;          53.) Indianapolis Colts: OG/C  Rodney Hudson, Florida State: The Colts hope to entice Peyton Manning to stay, by adding another body guard for him, and, eventually, to succeed the aging Jeff Saturday at center; 53.) Indianapolis Colts: OG/C Stefan Wisniewski, Penn State: See above; 54.) Philadelphia Eagles: OG Danny Watkins, Baylor: Tough guy with a hockey player's mentality is just what Andy Reid likes on his OL. 54.) Philadelphia Eagles: OG Danny Watkins, Baylor: See above; 55.) Kansas City Chiefs: DT Steven Paea, Oregon State:  Could be Scott Pioli's Vince Wilfolk at NT. 55.) Kansas City Chiefs: NT Phil Taylor, Baylor: Would have been selected long ago, accept for injury concerns. Just as Tampa Bay rolled dice on Da'Quan Bowers *see pick #20, above), the Chiefs do the same with Taylor. Scott Pioli hopes that Taylor becomes his Vince Wilfolk. 56.) New Orleans Saints: Quan Sturdivant, LB, North Carolina: There are differing views about how soon this 4 year starter at North Carolina will be taken. Has the necessary speed and athleticism to be a solid performer in the pros.   56.) New Orleans Saints: Quan Sturdivant:  See above; 57.) Seattle Seahawks: OG/C Stefan Wiesnewski, Penn State: The 'Hawks need a center to replace UFA Chris Spencer. 57.) Seattle Seahawks: OT Marcus Gilbert, Florida:  Gilbert would replace current RT Sean Locklear, whi is an UFA ; 58.) Baltimore Ravens: WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh: Huge target for Joe Flacco. 58.) Baltimore Ravens: CB Curtis Brown, Texas: Ravens need corners, as they will lose some of their current CBs through UFA; 59.) Atlanta Falcons: WR Titus Young, Boise State: Another erxplosive weapon for QB Matt Ryan. 59.) Atlanta Falcons: WR Leonard Hankerson, Miami: Great target for "Matty Ice"; 60.) New England Patriots: OT Marcus Gilbert, Florida: Imposing OT who could have a solid career as a RT in the league. As we know, BB whad some good luck with his Florida draftees in 2010. Remember, protecting Tom Brady is job one. 60.) New England Patriots: WR Randall Cobb, Kentucky: Explosive kid, who could develop into another Deion Branch, or Wes Welker. Deion is 32, and Welker is going into the final year of his contract this season; 61.) San Diego Chargers: DE/OLB Sam Acho, Texas:   Former #1 draft choice from 2009, Larry English, has been a bust. Consequently, the Bolts need a guy playing on the opposite side ofpass-rusher Shawn Phillips, who is capable of drawing some attention away from Phillips. 61.) San Diego Chargers: DE/OLB Sam Acho, Texas: See above; 62.) Chicago Bears: OT James Carpenter, Alabama: Da' Bears need to improve da' OL. QB Jay Cutler was sacked 56 times last season. 62.) Chicago Bears: OT James Carpenter, Alabama: See above; 63.) Pittsburgh Steelers: OT/OG Will Rackley, Lehigh: Steelers continue to try to solidify their OL; 63.) Pittsburgh Steelers: OT/OG Will Rackley, Lehigh: See above; 64.) Green Bay Packers: DE/DT Allen Bailey, Miami: Great value pick for the Packers again. DC Dom Capers couldn't be happier. 64.) Green Bay Packers: DE/DT Allen Bailey, Miami: See above; 65.) Carolina Panthers: DT Drake Nevis, LSU: The Panthers must do something about their DL, after wasting the top overall pick on QB Cam Newton. 65.) Carolina Panthers: QB Ricky Stanzi, Iowa: Stanzi is a very underrated prospect. The Panthers are lucky that he fell this far; 66.) Cincinnati Bengals: RB Daniel Thomas, Kansas State: No telling what management has in store with free agent RB, Cedric Benson. His production dropped last season, while his fumbles incresed to an unacceptable five (5).  66.) Cincinnati Bengals: OG Clint Boling, Georgia: Football games are won in the trenches...especially in the rugged AFC North; 67.) Denver Broncos: TE Virgil Green, Nevada: Intriguing prospect at TE. The Broncos got literally no production from the position, offensively. The hope is that Green is another Shannon Sharpe. 67.) Denver Broncos: TE Virgil Green, Nevada: See above; 68.) Buffalo Bills: CB Curtis Brown, Texas: A team can never have too many CBs. Plus, injury prone Terrence McGee turns 31, and 2008 #1 pick, Leodis McKelvin, has disappointed. 68.) Buffalo Bills: CB Brandon Burton, Utah: Both Brown and Burton have been rated pretty evenly. It will become a question of which is available, and/or which of these two do they like best; 69.) Arizona Cardinals: OG Clint Boling, Georgia:  Alan Faneca can't go on forever. Now still chugging away at age 34, it's time to seek out his replacement. 69.) Arizona Cardinals: OG John Moffitt, Wisconsin: See above; 70.) Cleveland Browns: WR Randall Cobb, Kentucky: Could be the deep threat that the Browns are looking for. 70.) Titus Young, Boise State: See above; 71.) Dallas Cowboys: CB/FS Marcus Gilchrist, Clemson: The Cowboys were burnt deep far too often last season, especially by Philly's Desean Jackson. They hope that Gilchrist will put a stop to that. 71.) Dallas Cowboys: OG Orlando Franklin, Miami: A revamping of the Cowboys' OL is long overdue; 72.) New Orleans Saints (from Redskins): DT Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson: The Saints need to find a partner for DT Sedrick Ellis in the middle of their DL. 72.) New Orleans Saints: DT Drake Nevis, LSU: See above; 73.) Houston Texans: NT Phil Taylor, Baylor: If he's still available, the Texans will take a chance on him, and his injury history. 73.) Houston Texans: DT Jurrell Casey, USC: Wade Phillips looks for that big body to clog up the middle of his DL; 74.) New England Patriots (from Minnesota Vikings): CB Brandon Burton, Troy: A team can never have enough CBs. Leigh Bodden is a 30 year old, injury prone player. Kyle Arrington tries, but is best suited for a reserve role. Darius Butler has been a major disappointment. 74.) New England Patriots: CB Johnny Patrick, Louisville:  See above; 75.) Detroit Lions: OLB Bruce Carter, North Carolina:  Carter carried a first round grade, til he was felled by a knee injury. The Lions continue to build their linebacking corp. 75.) Detroit Lions: OLB Bruce Carter, North Carolina: See above;     76.) New England Patriots, via trade with the San Francisco 49ers...see pick #28, above: WR Jerrel Jernigan, Troy: In a word...dangerous! Very slippery once he gets his hands on the ball. Wes Welker has been great, but is not getting any younger, and is in the final year of his contract. This guy is the best kept receiving threat in the nation. 76.) New England Patriots: DT Kendrick Ellis, Hampton:  A mountain of a man, at 6'5", 345 lbs.. Could give the Patriots a similar one-two punch athat they once enjoyed when Ted Washington teamed with Vince Wilfolk in the middle.     Doing a mock helps me to determine who will be available to the Patriots, when they pick. Here are some post top 40 thoughts:      1.) Do you like the mock in black, or in red, better?       2.) Which scenario is more beneficial to the Patriots? Why?       3.) What are your thoughts on the 2011 RB class? I don't think any of them should be #1 picks. Mark Ingram was, in my view, an overrated, part-time player at Alabama. I'm also concerned over the health of the knee he injured in college. RB Mikel Leshoure may be the better player.      4.) How important to you is it that the Pats secure an elite OT? There's going to be a run on OTs in the first round. So...if the Pats don't grab one at pick #17, they won't get one of the 5 elites (Smith. Castonzo, Carimi, Sherrod, or Solder). But, OTs such as Marcus Gilbert from Florida, and Jah Reid of Central Florida, James Carpenter of Alabama, and OG/OT Will Rackley would likely be available to the Pats with their 60th overall pick.         5.) My guess is that several teams will reach for QBs. Thus, a QB desperate team might overpay to move up. You can make book that the Pats will trade either the 28th or 33rd overall pick to one of the QB needy teams.      6.) Speaking of QBs, Iowa'a Ricky Stanzi is underrated. The Colts should strive to get him...just in case the unthinkable occurs with Peyton.      7.) After seeing what happened with Vince Young, does anybody think that Carolina should risk taking Cam Newton at #1?             
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

your picks aretn bad.
    i dont like wilkerson so much though.
    preer heyward, jordan or watt. but maybe you are right and i'm wrong.

like your skill guys, etc
    but am i reading that right, youre selecting no offensive lineman?

might make it easy if at the end you list n.e. picks  in balck then red (at the bottom).

thanks

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

(I think there has been talk about this before....I love this potential trade!  A 2011 2nd round and 2012 1st round pick from a team that struggled in 2010)

1. There's a team in the draft that has a deal on the table -- I'm guessing New England (surprise!) -- with a team trying to come back into the first round. The deal will net the team dealing the first-rounder the following: a second-round pick in 2011 and a first-round pick in 2012. The deal, I hear, is contingent on the player the trade-up team wants still being there. Could it be Tennessee trading into the bottom of the first round, at 28, to get Jake Locker or Andy Dalton? Stay tuned.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/24/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1KXWBVJDW

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Updated 2011 Mock Draft (updated on 4/25/11):
    [QUOTE](I think there has been talk about this before....I love this potential trade!  A 2011 2nd round and 2012 1st round pick from a team that struggled in 2010) 1. There's a team in the draft that has a deal on the table -- I'm guessing New England (surprise!) -- with a team trying to come back into the first round. The deal will net the team dealing the first-rounder the following: a second-round pick in 2011 and a first-round pick in 2012. The deal, I hear, is contingent on the player the trade-up team wants still being there. Could it be Tennessee trading into the bottom of the first round, at 28, to get Jake Locker or Andy Dalton? Stay tuned. Read more:  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/24/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1KXWBVJDW
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

If so...this could be a great deal for the Pats. But, what happens if there's no draft in 2012? In other words, that 2012 #1 pick could end up being meaningless.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Updated 2011 Mock Draft (updated on 4/25/11) : your picks aretn bad. i dont like wilkerson so much though. preer heyward, jordan or watt. but maybe you are right and i'm wrong. like your skill guys, etc but am i reading that right, youre selecting no offensive lineman? might make it easy if at the end you list n.e. picks  in balck then red (at the bottom). thanks
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

Here's a good article on Wilkerson: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/04/former_linden_high_star_muhamm.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Updated 2011 Mock Draft (updated on 4/25/11) :      If so...this could be a great deal for the Pats. But, what happens if there's no draft in 2012? In other words, that 2012 #1 pick could end up being meaningless.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

there will be another draft. don't worry about that. how else are they going to try to make the skill level of the players  even across the league. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's an interesting take regarding how teams view CBs on draft day: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3728_Draft_Primer%3A_CBs_corner_the_draft-day_market.html

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Peter King on the Patriots' draft: Forget about DE, J.J. Watt. Cameron Jordan is the better player.Look for the Pats to take either Jordan, or Mike Pouncey. If neither are there, they may trade down.  There's an outside chance that the Pats could take RB Mark Ingram at #17. They supposedly like him alot.

OLB/DE Justin Houston seems perfect for the Pats' defense. Look for the Pats to snare two RBs in this draft...preferably Ingram, and Jacquizz Rogers.

Finally, King expects that WR Chad Ochocinco will be released by the Bengals...and will somehow end up in New England:
    http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2011/04/25/peter-king-on-mm-bill-belichick-charmed-by-chad-ochocinco/