Ups and Downs from Last Night's Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Ups and Downs from Last Night's Game

Up

1.) New England's defensive ends: Jones looked like a monster. If that had been a complete game, it could have been a double or triple sack affair, not to mention a nasty -3 yard TFL against Martin (reallythe most underrated stat for DE's in the NFL as it IS a sack of the RB). Ninkovich looked really good, like a real complimentary defensive end. This is more about Nink, though, who really doesn't look like he is facing serious compeition from Jake Bequette right now for playing time opposite Jones. [I could add the entire starting front seven here, they looked good]

2.) Marcus Forston: making his case to stick around. NE might not need to carry the "beef" they used to, but they need depth there. He made solid penetration into the backfield, which is as much as you can ask. 

3.) Amendola: the questions about whether he could "be" Wes Welker were answered, outside of the big issue of durability. 6 receptions in less than a quarter is a Welker pace indeed. The seam route TD over the middle, dare I say, was one Welker might not have been able to get to as well. 

4.) Sudfeld. Ho-hum, another pre-season game another two scores. It is scary, but I think if he keeps coming along, Gronkowski and Sudfeld could be better than Gronkowski and Hernandez. Sudfeld poses the same kind of height/length/speed matchup problems that Gronkowksi does. When there are two of them, you've already used the guys who are tall or can high-point on one or the other. 

Down

1.) Tavon Wilson -- He gave up a TD pass, a penalty on the goal line, and whiffed on tackle in isolation. He's already been passed on the depth chart by Duron Harmon. It's beginning to look like BB was right in drafting a SS and picking one up in A. Wilson, because Tavon looks out of place. 

2.) Tim Tebow -- Hoping to catch on in New England, he's posted a truly remarkable 0 rating. A total preseason 17.7 rating with only turnovers to show after roughly 5 quarters of play is hastening his departure. He's had more reps than Brady and Mallet combined and done less than 1/3 of either them alone.

3.) Brandon Bolden: didn't really get a shake until it was Tebow Time, and at that in the 4th, and was only really effective on a final, garbage time run. He needs to show more if he is going to get ahead of Ridley, Vereen, and Blount, especially when other RBs have more ST value.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Re: Ups and Downs from Last Night's Game

I can't wait to see Gronk and Sudfeld out there together. I've been high on him since he signed as a free agent. He is 6'7" and has a 37" verticle to go with great hands. I also thought Jamie Collins looked good. The starting front 7 generated a lot of pressure. Tommy Kelly looks better than advertised. Also Duron Harmon seemed to react too slow in coverage most of the night. I know he has been imprsessive most of camp but it was a down night for him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:

I can't wait to see Gronk and Sudfeld out there together. I've been high on him since he signed as a free agent. He is 6'7" and has a 37" verticle to go with great hands. I also thought Jamie Collins looked good. The starting front 7 generated a lot of pressure. Tommy Kelly looks better than advertised. Also Duron Harmon seemed to react too slow in coverage most of the night. I know he has been imprsessive most of camp but it was a down night for him.

Harmon wasn't terrible. I didn't want to just pick on defensive guys too. If I were to add another defender to the "down" category, it would be Logan Ryan. Burnt on a TD and burnt on a long gainer by backup Tiquan Underwood.

It was a rough night for the rookie.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFL_Pat. Show AFL_Pat's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agrre with all your comments. My concern is why waste the entire 2nd half playing Tebow.

I like Tebow as a person but he's not an NFL QB.  Mallet needs more game action to

get better - he has potential but needs a lot more game action to improve,  In addition, there

are a lot of other players on the field withTebow who are not getting a good chance to show what they can do.

The new WRs need more time with a real QB to give them more NFL game experience.  BB needs to end

the Tebow experiment and give the other offensive players a fair chance to show what they can do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:

[QUOTE]

Harmon wasn't terrible. I didn't want to just pick on defensive guys too. If I were to add another defender to the "down" category, it would be Logan Ryan. Burnt on a TD and burnt on a long gainer by backup Tiquan Underwood.

It was a rough night for the rookie.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  Ryan struggled I thought, but Harmon, while not making big plays, seemed mostly in decent position (as much as you can see on TV, which admittedly is not much). 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Up

1.) New England's defensive ends: Jones looked like a monster. If that had been a complete game, it could have been a double or triple sack affair, not to mention a nasty -3 yard TFL against Martin (reallythe most underrated stat for DE's in the NFL as it IS a sack of the RB). Ninkovich looked really good, like a real complimentary defensive end. This is more about Nink, though, who really doesn't look like he is facing serious compeition from Jake Bequette right now for playing time opposite Jones. [I could add the entire starting front seven here, they looked good]

2.) Marcus Forston: making his case to stick around. NE might not need to carry the "beef" they used to, but they need depth there. He made solid penetration into the backfield, which is as much as you can ask. 

3.) Amendola: the questions about whether he could "be" Wes Welker were answered, outside of the big issue of durability. 6 receptions in less than a quarter is a Welker pace indeed. The seem route TD over the middle, dare I say, was one Welker might not have been able to get to as well. 

4.) Sudfeld. Ho-hum, another pre-season game another two scores. It is scary, but I think if he keeps coming along, Gronkowski and Sudfeld could be better than Gronkowski and Hernandez. Sudfeld poses the same kind of height/length/speed matchup problems that Gronkowksi does. When there are two of them, you've already used the guys who are tall or can high-point on one or the other. 

Down

1.) Tavon Wilson -- He gave up a TD pass, a penalty on the goal line, and whiffed on tackle in isolation. He's already been passed on the depth chart by Duron Harmon. It's beginning to look like BB was right in drafting a SS and picking one up in A. Wilson, because Tavon looks out of place. 

2.) Tim Tebow -- Hoping to catch on in New England, he's posted a truly remarkable 0 rating. A total preseason 17.7 rating with only turnovers to show after roughly 5 quarters of play is hastening his departure. He's had more reps than Brady and Mallet combined and done less than 1/3 of either them alone.

3.) Brandon Bolden: didn't really get a shake until it was Tebow Time, and at that in the 4th, and was only really effective on a final, garbage time run. He needs to show more if he is going to get ahead of Ridley, Vereen, and Blount, especially when other RBs have more ST value.  

5 tackles for a loss I agree they looked great. How about Tommy kelly next to VW? I think that duo gives us the closest thing we have had to VW and Seymour, or Ted Washington and Seymour.

I saw Jones play as a LB last night and rush the QB late( he piled onto the Nink sack and would have got the sack if Nink wasn't there 1st) and he looked good doing it. Agree about Nink, it seems he improves every year. Bequette looked bad last night, as did Tavon, and Tebow(ouch).

I like Forston to make this team and get some PT. He looked the part the last 2 games imo. How about Adrian Wilson saving the kick return touch down? I guess he still has speed after all!

I disagree on Bolden, thought the O-line let guys in last night and imo he hits the hole hard and can take on the 1st hit pretty well. Good depth player imo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Agreed, solid analysis.

Zach "Don't call me 'Suddsy'" Sudfeld

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

5 tackles for a loss I agree they looked great. How about Tommy kelly next to VW? I think that duo gives us the closest thing we have had to VW and Seymour, or Ted Washington and Seymour.

I saw Jones play as a LB last night and rush the QB late( he piled onto the Nink sack and would have got the sack if Nink wasn't there 1st) and he looked good doing it. Agree about Nink, it seems he improves every year. Bequette looked bad last night, as did Tavon, and Tebow(ouch).

I like Forston to make this team and get some PT. He looked the part the last 2 games imo. How about Adrian Wilson saving the kick return touch down? I guess he still has speed after all!

I disagree on Bolden, thought the O-line let guys in last night and imo he hits the hole hard and can take on the 1st hit pretty well. Good depth player imo.

[/QUOTE]

Jones was lined up at DE the entire night. The highlights are on NFL.com to see. If it's Chandler Jones you are talking about. On that play the OLB was Spikes, who was split outside Jones. 

Bolden is down, because he is last in the pecking order and didn't do something to distinguish himself. As the preseason wears on, it looks like he might be on the outside looking in. It doesn't matter if he is an ok "depth" player ... NE has better guys off the bench and can only carry so many running backs. 

It's really just a nod to the fact that he is losing the training camp battle, right now, for the last RB spot. Whether someone thinks he is good depth or not: he's losing the battle and after two straight weeks with Blount getting first team reps, he looks like he's on cut watch.

We'll see how this week of camp and the next game pans out, of course.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

Up

3.) Amendola: the questions about whether he could "be" Wes Welker were answered, outside of the big issue of durability. 6 receptions in less than a quarter is a Welker pace indeed. The seem route TD over the middle, dare I say, was one Welker might not have been able to get to as well. 

Down

Agreed with your analysis...think Fortson was OK but they have to try to pick up a big vet DT from the upcoming cuts...Armstead alone won't be enough, 1 injury to either Wilfolk or Kelly will very negatively impact the pass rush

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The starting D looked fast last night.  The offense will be unstoppable once GRONK gets back in the lineup. 

It took 3 years but BB is finally using Vereen and what a weapon this guy is going to be.  I believe he has the tools to be better then Faulk.  Danny A > Welker : Rooks > Branch + Lloyd :  Sudfeld > Hernandez (That 2 point conversion catch was ridiculous, Hernandez dropped passes much easier to handle then that one coming through 2 sets of hands).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

When Amendola caught that TD, I thought first that route would never be called for Welker and I am not sure Welker would have even go to it. Credit to Brady on that amazing pass, though. Sudfeld looks awesome, can't wait to see more of him. I won't say he is better than Hern just yet, but the potential is there. Vereen looks like he will command more playtime than Ridley if he stays this dynamic! Loved the defensive line last night, which really helped our secondary which looked pretty vanilla.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to freediro's comment:

When Amendola caught that TD, I thought first that route would never be called for Welker and I am not sure Welker would have even go to it. Credit to Brady on that amazing pass, though. Sudfeld looks awesome, can't wait to see more of him. I won't say he is better than Hern just yet, but the potential is there. Vereen looks like he will command more playtime than Ridley if he stays this dynamic! Loved the defensive line last night, which really helped our secondary which looked pretty vanilla.

Welker would get a "go" if the middle of the field were open ... never right into cover-2 like that though. They have confidence in his extra length and leaping ability ... that said, he isn't as squirmy as Welker, close, but not quite.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

The starting D looked fast last night.  The offense will be unstoppable once GRONK gets back in the lineup. 

It took 3 years but BB is finally using Vereen and what a weapon this guy is going to be.  I believe he has the tools to be better then Faulk.  Danny A > Welker : Rooks > Branch + Lloyd :  Sudfeld > Hernandez (That 2 point conversion catch was ridiculous, Hernandez dropped passes much easier to handle then that one coming through 2 sets of hands).

I hate talking up rookies, especially UDFA who sometimes flash in the hot pan of preseason. But this kid looks like a legit threat out there. 

Yes ... more dangerous (when paired with Gronk) to a defense than Hernandez.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:

[QUOTE]

Up

Down

Agreed with your analysis...think Fortson was OK but they have to try to pick up a big vet DT from the upcoming cuts...Armstead alone won't be enough, 1 injury to either Wilfolk or Kelly will very negatively impact the pass rush

[/QUOTE]

I think a group of Fork, Kelly, Forston, and Armstead is enough, if they are all healthy. NE only keeps two DTs on the field, so you don't really need five. That said ... Armstead apparently isn't healthy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Mallet's career passer rating is 5. LMAO

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

LOL. He has 12 career snaps in blowouts.

I mean, there are small samples, and then there is that: 12 snaps. 

Brady had a zero rating last week .... after one play. Maybe they should have benched him for Tebow ... right?

Tebow has a few years of looking like he isn't good, full drives, games, weeks to make up for his incompetence.

And yet .... there he is ... behind Mallet on the depth chart ... and looking like a fan who walked into the game and tried to play with the real athletes. 

Are we done yet?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Thought I'd watch the game on DVR and comment.

Up...?

Brady.

Amendola and Edelmen will be murder underneath with Thompkins and Dobson over the top, Boyce will be nasty, he'll be able to burn you both ways (4.3 forty?!) once he learns the basics.  

Wes who..?  

I don't want to think about Gronk and Sudfeld (better than the Hernandez duo, yeah I said it) with Ballard paving the road and Huey being able to strictly play fullback; a 6'4" 260 pound fullback, it's almost unfair.  Smashmouth?  Yeah I think so...

Kelly got that first sack, Spikes cleaned up but Kelly already had him, this first team defense is scary.  Remember when I said this team couldn't play a 4/3 full time because they didn't have the personnel, well they can play any defense now, they have no weakness and Armstead will make them scary deep.

Fletcher is always in the right place in coverage, he comes up to make tackles, how can one linebacker unit be so flush with talent they could afford to walk from Spikes if he gets greedy.

Vince Wilfork sniffs out screen plays, try something else.

Adrian Wilson saves a kick return TD like Truechamp pointed out, he's not makng the team, lol?!

The swarm on the sack where I think Ninck should have gotten credit for was insane, where's that "#1 defense" thread I started, I need to bump it?

Slater is on this team for a reason, great special teams tackle; text book.

Chandler Jones.

Hightower could be the best MLB in football if he only played there.

Ninck just got another sack, yeah TripleOG I said he was our best sack guy.

Mallett is mobile enough to roll out and pass, Thompkins dropped a first down on his 2nd drive, when the game slows down for him he'll be great, at least he will on a team this great.  

Vereen in the screen game will remind us of the old days.  He can't be covered in the slot, again not fair.

Kyle Arrington lays a nice special teams hit.

Justin Green needs some work, practice squad?

Spikes got quite a few snaps with the 2nd unit.

Leon Washington runs back kicks like a rookie trying to make the team and that's why he will.

Sudfeld is badaz.  Did you see the concentration on that bobble catch shaking off the defender?

Kline was a bright spot at guard in the 2nd quarter.  He sprung Vereen on a long run.  He opened up a lane for Mallett to pull it down and run.

Vereen dropped one there...

Ryan didn't give up the TD on that Underwood streak, he recognized the underneath receiver in zone streaking and caught him.  He's been solid.

Collins laid the lumber on Ogletree to force the field goal.

Putting Bolden and Tebow in together was unfair to Bolden.  Tebow is painful to watch.

And then Logan Ryan picks 6... he's better than solid, this kid will help this team and he was on the Pat's board on Wozzy's Draft Guide wasn't he, so he has to be good.

Michael Buchanan gives up the edge to easily, he needs to bulk up, maybe on the practice squad.

Collins is fast.  He finds the ball.  He tackles in space. He can do anything. Scary.

Fortson will be a good fourth DT.

I'm praying for Tebow... to go to Canada.  Overthrow is an understatement.

I hope Beauharnais sticks to the practice squad along with Grissom, both look decent.

Teblow

All I got, passing out...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Good points Wozzy.  Only thing I vehemently disagree with is the idea of Tebow playing in Canada.  He's not good enough . . . 

(Though the Allouettes who have his rights may want him given that their starting QB, Anthony Calvillo, suffered a concussion yesterday and seems to finally be slowing down at age 41).  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

LOL. He has 12 career snaps in blowouts.

I mean, there are small samples, and then there is that: 12 snaps. 

Brady had a zero rating last week .... after one play. Maybe they should have benched him for Tebow ... right?

Tebow has a few years of looking like he isn't good, full drives, games, weeks to make up for his incompetence.

And yet .... there he is ... behind Mallet on the depth chart ... and looking like a fan who walked into the game and tried to play with the real athletes. 

Are we done yet?

Far from done.

You downplay Mallet's small NFL sample as indicative of his worth in the same breath you condemn TT's 7 pass pre-season game. LMAO

Tebow has had a "few years"??? His only significant playing time was in 2011 and you scoff at his taking a 1-4 team to the playoffs, going 7-4 as a starter and winning a game on the road at Pittsburgh in the playoffs. Yet you ball wash Mallet who has accomplished nothing.

Basically you have no leg to stand on in this and simply cling to spin in lieu of significant facts to make your case.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Good points Wozzy.  Only thing I vehemently disagree with is the idea of Tebow playing in Canada.  He's not good enough . . . 

LMAO. The Steelers are insulted by your analysis.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I'm praying for Tebow... to go to Canada. 

What kind of an idiot would even sign a guy like that?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Towelie-Toke. Show Towelie-Toke's posts

IMO, best thing for Tebow would be to play arena football? Why?  He would be forced to throw the ball and improve his throwing mechanics (i.e., quicken his release and accuracy). 

Get a couple of years under his belt, and try to make a comeback in a year or two.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Towelie-Toke's comment:

IMO, best thing for Tebow would be to play arena football? Why?  He would be forced to throw the ball and improve his throwing mechanics (i.e., quicken his release and accuracy). 

Get a couple of years under his belt, and try to make a comeback in a year or two.

Meh, BB signed him. BB will probably keep him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Towelie-Toke's comment:

The best thing for Tebow would be to get a job selling insurance by Labor Day . . . 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Up

3.) Amendola: the questions about whether he could "be" Wes Welker were answered, outside of the big issue of durability. 6 receptions in less than a quarter is a Welker pace indeed. The seam route TD over the middle, dare I say, was one Welker might not have been able to get to as well. 

Down

I just read an article over PFT/NE Patriots where Bill Belichick would like to ask all the know it alls how they can grade the teams effectiveness when he can't when he's watching the game from his perspective. He's says and I'll quote him" I can't even tell what mistakes were made, with 22 game tapes" All of the folks who are downgrading TT's performance are doing so without any knowledge of what they are trying to do offensively when he's in there with the 3rd and 4rth offensive units, pretty much you haven't seen TT work with even the second unit but only once and on that sequence he and LaGarrette Blount ran down field at will in game 1. The hardest part we have as armchair coaches is 1) We don't know if the plays that look bad were the player we think screwd ups fault! 2) Did the receiver run the route required for the play called? 3) Were the linemen making the proper blocks? 4) Did TT see something the receiver didn't so he broke off his route on the interception? So for all of the non staff members of the Patriots you need to wait and see how the Patriots see it. Or in other words, quit guessing!