Vereen in or out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Vereen in or out?

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

SI's Greg Bedard believes the extent of any restrictions on Shane Vereen's (wrist) Monday night playing time will "depend on the score."

Bedard "lol'd" at Adam Schefter's report that Vereen will be "eased in" against the Panthers because that's been expected to happen so many times before with Patriots players and didn't, a la Rob Gronkowski a month ago. Vereen is still a rather boom-or-bust flex option, but it's entirely possible he'll wind up playing a lot of snaps if New England needs him to Monday night.[/QUOTE]

Two thoughts on that.

NE was relly kind of desperate when Gronk was ready to go. Amendola was still injured. Ridley was injured. Vereen was injured. And Gronk, to be frank, didnt really look ready to go. The first game, game and half, he was really feeling for it. 

Vereen is only adding to a healthier and more experienced offense. 

At the same time, Vereen had a hand injury. He's been able to practice, and work out. It's not the same as Gronk who was atrophied from an offseason of inactivity and had missed most of camp. 

Vereen could conceivably factor in more significantly. 

All told, I think Vereen's playing time will be game plan specific and situationally specific. 

If NE wants to go after the Panthers' secondary with a more open attack, he will see a larger share of the reps.

Alternatively, if, for some reason, NE falls behind .. he will obviously see more work as he is the best running back in the stable for a passing/comeback offense that will try to score and extend a game. 

To be frank, I'd like a nice easy game where one of the back ups is taking reps in the 4th as NE sits on a lead. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

One thing about Ryan:

Anyone notice he looks way better not only on the outside, but on the left side vs the right?

It may be just a coincidence, but he looked great on the left when he's played and not as strong on the right side.

I don't if this is a preference thing where BB will try to keep him on the left in zone as much as possible where in man Talib will likely follow Smith.

Its not uncommon that a CB has a better "natural" left/right side. CB on the right side of D looks in with his left shoulder to the inside most of the time, right shoulder inside from the left CB spot. Most CB's prefer to play with their normal writing hand side to the inside of the field and their "weaker arm" on the sideline side. This keeps your "stronger arm" on the inside and is more comfortable in run support and keeping outside leverage, also known as outside contain where you force the rusher back towards the middle of the D by holding your ground. You know, ripping that stronger arm and shoulder through the lead blocker to shed him on outside tackle runs, etc. while attacking the runner from the outside in. Its not a rule, but being right handed, I played Left CB more comfortably. Its just a more natural tendancy. So, Ryan likely played more on the left side coming up in school, etc. which makes him more adept and comfortable from that side. Nowadays, a CB must be more versatile as they flip flop a lot with going strongside and weakside with the formations and also go man up on a guy no matter where he is on the field, ala Talib, Arrington, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It would be nice to see TB playing with a full compliment of weapons for tonights game, so my question is pretty simple is Shane Vereen playing or staying on the sideline?  In this game it would be really nice to have him in as a checkdown option. Also instead of running Blount late in the game get him the ball early and make Carolina spend some energy trying to tackle the 250lb beast.

[/QUOTE]

BLount runs weaker than Ridley, Bolden and Vereen. he might be 250 but he runs like he's a solid 200.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

Blount runs like a beast...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

Clearly the strongest runner on the team...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One thing about Ryan:

Anyone notice he looks way better not only on the outside, but on the left side vs the right?

It may be just a coincidence, but he looked great on the left when he's played and not as strong on the right side.

I don't if this is a preference thing where BB will try to keep him on the left in zone as much as possible where in man Talib will likely follow Smith.

Its not uncommon that a CB has a better "natural" left/right side. CB on the right side of D looks in with his left shoulder to the inside most of the time, right shoulder inside from the left CB spot. Most CB's prefer to play with their normal writing hand side to the inside of the field and their "weaker arm" on the sideline side. This keeps your "stronger arm" on the inside and is more comfortable in run support and keeping outside leverage, also known as outside contain where you force the rusher back towards the middle of the D by holding your ground. You know, ripping that stronger arm and shoulder through the lead blocker to shed him on outside tackle runs, etc. while attacking the runner from the outside in. Its not a rule, but being right handed, I played Left CB more comfortably. Its just a more natural tendancy. So, Ryan likely played more on the left side coming up in school, etc. which makes him more adept and comfortable from that side. Nowadays, a CB must be more versatile as they flip flop a lot with going strongside and weakside with the formations and also go man up on a guy no matter where he is on the field, ala Talib, Arrington, etc.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. There are some who can play both sides well but usually a guy will be comfortable one side. Revis played on one side but also followed certain players meaning he can do both. Asante was better on the right side and REFUSED to play press because he was  more comfortable in off coverage. Thats why BB let him go because he refused to play press/ bump n run. Cant fault Asante for wanting to be successfull as he was too frail to play that style.

I think it just depends on where you played for most of your career. You will be more comfortable on THAT side.

Did you know that before Wille McGinest suggested that BB use the Linebackers to set the edge that the CBs in BB's system used to do it?  I heard BB say it a few years ago. I thought it was interesting. Even though he changed per advice of willie, he still asks a lot of his CBs in the run game in terms of force, leverage and always accounting for the run to your side while still having coverage  responsiblities. Its why not just any CB can make it here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

I would be very surprised if BB didn't start RYan on the outside and keep Arrington inside. It's pretty clear where each's strengths are.

[/QUOTE]

if BB is smart and thinking ahead of the curve (which he normally does). we will def see what you just said. keep everyone at their strengths.

in all honesty, Greg Olsen is who scares me most tonight. i dont think Dont'a or spikes can keep up with him and Fletcher hasnt seen much field to this point

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to NYPatsFan12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Blount?  Really?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NYPatsFan12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Blount?  Really?

[/QUOTE]

i said this somewhere today..... Blount is the teams weakest runner behind Rid, Bolden and even Vereen. guy is 250 but plays like he's 200/......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They should be ok with McCourty/harmon on Olsen when in man. I don't get the fear of Olsen. He's good, but he's not an elite TE. I don't think Talib (or RYan for that matter) will need help in man coverages.

To me the key is playing man and zone and when they swap back and forth, with how well the players play team zone on Newton. Talib should be fine on Smith, Ryan fine on LaFell. I don't see either as massive threats.

1. Stop/contain their run.  Williams likes to kick outside a lot, so I expect some 3-4 for that reason and to bottle up Newton.

2. Mix your man and zone in strategic fashion. I expect man out of the gate once Carolina shows themselves, then BB will start dropping in zones at times to confuse Newton, on the obvious passing downs.

[/QUOTE]

true i totally blanked about DMC he will be able to handle Olsen in man.
    i like your thought on going to 3-4 so we can set the edge to shut down Scam's scarambling and stop mr. bounce himself Deangelo.

and exactly . mixing defenses agaisnt a QB like newton will smoke him eventually. he's not an elite defense reader. so more mixing = more F ups

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Just read headline Vareen active for tonights game.