Vick Comments on Dog Fighting

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Vick Comments on Dog Fighting

Vick on dogfighting in GQ: ‘People act like it’s some crazy thing they never heard of…’

Vick on dogfighting in GQ: ‘People act like it’s some crazy thing they never heard of…’

The first time Michael Vick(notes) talked about the dogfighting that cost him two years of his life in a federal penitentiary, www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/02/michael-vick-dogfighting_n_447011.html" target="_blank">it was February of 2010, and he was opening up for a TV show called the Michael Vick Project. Back then, Vick made it seem as if the man who ran and financed a large Virginia dogfighting operation called Bad Newz Kennels was someone out of his own body.

"I was living a double life," he said then. "The dogfighting operation was getting bigger, and it was spiraling out of control. I would fly home to Virginia every Tuesday on my off-day, just to check up on my dogs and fight the dogs."

[More on Michael Vick: Did the NFL push him to the Eagles?]

The remorse may still be real, but judging from quotes that hit the internet on Wednesday, Vick isn't quite as penitent about what he did. www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201109/michael-vick-gq-september-2011-interview" target="_blank">In a brilliant story written by Will Leitch of Yahoo! Movies for GQ.com, Vick talked more about the cultural aspect of the dogfighting trade, and how some folks just wouldn't understand where it comes from.

"[The media is] writing as if everyone feels that way and has the same opinions they do. But when I go out in public, it's all positive, so that's obviously not true … You got the family dog and the white picket fence, and you just think that's all there is. Some of us had to grow up in poverty-stricken urban neighborhoods, and we just had to adapt to our environment. I know that it's wrong. But people act like it's some crazy thing they never heard of. They don't know."

As William Burroughs once said about another matter, this is a thin tissue of horse[bleep]. There are obviously thousands and millions of people who have to live in poverty-stricken urban neighborhoods, and a great many of them manage to wake up every day and avoid the temptation to fight, torture, electrocute, and kill dogs.

Incredibly enough, Vick then made himself out to be some kind of innocent victim in the whole sordid episode.

"I think that's accurate," he told Leitch, when asked of some people couldn't possibly understand that part of black culture. "I mean, I was just one of the ones who got exposed, and because of the position I was in, where I was in my life, it went mainstream. A lot of people got out of it after my situation, not because I went to prison but because it was sad for them to see me go through something that was so pointless, that could have been avoided."

Vick then talked about his experience in prison, and the perceptions of him that he thinks are misplaced. "For a while, it was all 'Scold Mike Vick, scold Mike Vick, just talk bad about him, like he's not a person,' " he says. "It's almost as if everyone wanted to hate me. But what have I done to anybody? It was something that happened, and it was people trying to make some money."

Back to the money thing. In January of 2005, Vick signed a $100 million contract with the Atlanta Falcons that guaranteed him a then-record $37 million. The investigation that brought Bad Newz Kennels down and eventually took Vick to prison didn't happen for more than two years from the day he signed that contract. Vick wasn't hurting financially, nor was anybody close to him.

And this may be the most amazing takeaway:

"I miss dogs, man. I always had a family pet, always had a dog growing up. It was almost equivalent to the prison sentence, having something taken away from me for three years. I want a dog just for the sake of my kids, but also me. I miss my companions."

Companions? I'm guessing the dogs didn't see it that way.

The general consensus about Vick is that what he did was horrible, but also that he paid the price. Now only did he lose his freedom for two years, but he lost tens of millions of dollars and had to start over in the NFL. But the unspoken condition was that Vick would never try to publicly excuse and rationalize what he did, and that's what makes these quotes so troubling. This will set his perception back with a lot of people, and we may wind up including the league office in that discussion.

Other popular stories on Yahoo! Sports:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Re: Vick Comments on Dog Fighting

What got me on this was I thought he took full reponsiblity on this issue ,but after seeing his comments he seems to twist it around abit thats  his culture and where hes from.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

Vick is spot on with his comments.. When I moved from Boston to South Carolina I had a huge back yard, and Pit Bull Kennels were everywhere.  You wasnt cool if you didnt own at least one pit bull.  Long story short, I had 3 pit bulls, but of the three I had one I would let "bump" with my friends dogs.  We used the term bump because both of us would hold the leashes and let the dogs go at it for a short time and then we would pull back.

Had I continued down that road I could see myself easily contributing to dog fighting because it was so prevolent. Breeding and hard core fighting could make some decent money in an area where McDonald's pays $5 an hour. 

I believe Vick grew up with Pitts and developed a passion for every aspect of owning them (in the ghetto).  Does him fighting pitts make him bad? Of course. Its a crime, no different than a thief or rapist. But this practice is not uncommon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wow good to know that my black friends who grew up in not so great areas all dog fight too.

You know he served his time and I honestly thought he was remorseful and saw what he did was wrong. That sneaking over that white fence he mentioned to grab the family dog in order for his dogs to get a better taste for blood was wrong. But from these latest comments it seems like he doesn't understand why it was wrong. It sounds like he doesn't understand why people would hate him for what he did. It sounds like he'd do it again if given the choice. It almost sounds like in his pointless statement that only because of he was a big figure and exposed in public that was the reason why he was punished. It sounds like to me that he doesn't think he did anything wrong. I mean really "it was something that happened"?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Vick Comments on Dog Fighting:
    [QUOTE] But from these latest comments it seems like he doesn't understand why it was wrong. It sounds like he doesn't understand why people would hate him for what he did.Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

He doesn't, and all the lip service you've heard from him on this issue is just that. Much like Plaxico Burress, he's done his time and expects to (and should) be allowed to live his life, but really sees himself as the victim. He believes that because the behavior was acceptable in his circle, that he didn't really do anything wrong. Now, if you want to call that "culture" I suppose we could start a different discussion, but at the bottom of it, this is simply another entitled  deusche who thinks the rules don't (or shouldn't) apply to him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

[QUOTE]It proves he got away with it and doesn't get it. It's the same thing with Burress saying "they saw an African-American on the stand" and found me guilty. NO. They saw a guy break a state law by carrying a loaded gun into a nightclub, where the gun wasn't registered in NY. So, you broke a law. It's  afelony in that state and your arrogance, thuggie attitude and entitlement allowed you to break the law. It has nothing to with you being a victim due to skin color. It is beyond tiring seeing these millionaires get multiple chances for stupidity and arrogance. I love how people alwasy say "he did his time", but the fact is, they still want to show they have control.  In this case, Vick is trying to speak on both sides of the table. I have never heard of dogfighting anywhere near where I grew up, never heard of anyone spending a weekend doing it, etc.  Obviously, you know nasty stuff exists in this country, but for Vick to be so arrogant and act like this was a casual thing, shows he didn't learn anything. As stated, if he never got caught, he'd still be doing it. A disgrace. Goodell should have never allowed him back in.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I agree now with all this ,but at first I did say he did his time and should get a second chance,but after reading these statements from him I totally agree he hasnt learned nothing and dont understand why he was convicted.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Meh. I find it more interesting that in the same article he was going to go to the Bills or Bengals and become the instant starter and the league basically sent him to the Eagles.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking-11. Show Harleyroadking-11's posts

Vick=POS always was always will be end of story

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vick Comments on Dog Fighting : Because they knew they'd give him good structure there. If he had gone to the Bills or especially the Bengals, he probably would have gone off the rails by now. Goodell makes the worst decisions, including allowing Vick back in, but that one was pretty good. And that tells how much no one wanted to deal with this sc-mbag, too.

I don't recall Goodell doing that with Burress, Pacman and countless other scumbags. What's the difference. He's Vick so coddle him?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

[QUOTE]It proves he got away with it and doesn't get it. It's the same thing with Burress saying "they saw an African-American on the stand" and found me guilty. NO. They saw a guy break a state law by carrying a loaded gun into a nightclub, where the gun wasn't registered in NY. So, you broke a law. It's  afelony in that state and your arrogance, thuggie attitude and entitlement allowed you to break the law. It has nothing to with you being a victim due to skin color. It is beyond tiring seeing these millionaires get multiple chances for stupidity and arrogance. I love how people alwasy say "he did his time", but the fact is, they still want to show they have control.  In this case, Vick is trying to speak on both sides of the table. I have never heard of dogfighting anywhere near where I grew up, never heard of anyone spending a weekend doing it, etc.  Obviously, you know nasty stuff exists in this country, but for Vick to be so arrogant and act like this was a casual thing, shows he didn't learn anything. As stated, if he never got caught, he'd still be doing it. A disgrace. Goodell should have never allowed him back in.

He served two years in a Federal Pen, how many days did Dante Stallworth get? Maybe you cannot grasp the concept that where he grw up it was accepted behavior and that he got too involved in the dog fighting, but that he did his time and now he is being given a second chance. It is not that it makes his actions right, but he served his time, and we all hope learned the lesson and will use his exposure to combat violence against animals.

I swear, some people in Mass think that killing a person is acceptable behavior, but touch an animal and throw him in jail forever. LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]Exactly, P-Mike. So, by his logic, he's a victim and even though it's beyond creepy to be torturing well known pets/domesticated animals, he thinks it's normal. So, when you grow up in a bad home, it's ok to continue the flawed behavior. If everyone use that excuse, the chain would never be broken for those who made a change in their life. It doesn't matter if you grew up around that. It's not normal, especially when you go off to college and realize you either make it a secret or find people looking at you funny. The fact he kept this a secret for so long PROVES he knew it was wrong/not accepted. He's such a liar. It's just tiring listening to this fraud act like he was a victim.  I knew he'd do this, too. This is why Goodell should have banned him to make an example. Go play in the CFL or Arena League if you want to make a living. The NFL has no place for people like this. Mind you, here is a guy who makes millions as if his millions lost didn't matter other than spending a couple years in a cushy prison cell. Christ, I'd GLADLY spend time in a white collar prison if it meant I had multiple millions and an opportunity to do exactly what I wanted once released. It's a joke.

Rusty way to take a stand.  He should have never been let back into the NFL and the NFL has "no place for people like this".

I look forward to your post saying the same thing about Albert Haynesworth.  Now he didn't engage in dog-fighting but here are a few highlights:

haynesworth_0728b.jpg-In a game against the Dallas Cowboys, running back Julius Jones scores on a rushing play. Cowboys C Andre Gurode falls to the ground on the play. Haynesworth kicks Gurode's helmet off and attempts to stomp on Gurode's head. He misses, but then connects on a second attempt. The stomping leaves a severe wound on Gurode's forehead and narrowly misses his right eye. After Haynesworth is hit with a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, he removes his helmet and throws it to the turf, prompting an ejection. Gurode receives 30 stitches just above and below his right eye.

-Haynesworth is indicted on two misdemeanor traffic charges stemming from a December 2008 car accident in Tennessee. In the accident on Interstate 65, driver Corey Edmonson is partially paralyzed after colliding with Haynesworth's car. Police say Haynesworth was driving his Ferrari at speeds in excess of 100 mph when he struck Edmonson's vehicle, which struck a concrete barrier.

-Haynesworth is accused of throwing a punch to the nose of Joel Velazques, of Leesburg, Va. during a traffic altercation. The parties reach an out-of-court settlement.

-Haynesworth is indicted on sexual assault charges after allegedly fondling a waitress while paying his bill at a hotel in Washington, D.C.

Now there is no dogfighting in there just nearly blinding a guy while stomping on his head, partially paralyzing someone, road rage assault, and sexual assault.

So if the "NFL is no place" for someone like Vick, I am sure you believe there is no place for someone like Albert Haynesworth in the NFL as well. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well, Russ  . . .    I've spent some time in South Carolina (Beaufort, to be exact) and I won't disagree with most of your characterization of it, but you're the first person I've ever heard refer to Leavenworth as "white collar prison."

Wink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

Oh, and BTW, I ran over a chipmunk last weekend and I did not try and swerve to miss him. Should I report my crime?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, and BTW, I ran over a chipmunk last weekend and I did not try and swerve to miss him. Should I report my crime?
    Posted by PhllyPhn1967[/QUOTE]

No we only have an arraignment with pigeons.  Chipmunks (and squirrels) are fair game.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Who here said anything about Donte Stallworth? Because he played for the Pats for one season we think its ok to ki11 someone?? Your ignorance shows once again PhillyTroll

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, and BTW, I ran over a chipmunk last weekend and I did not try and swerve to miss him. Should I report my crime?

Yes he did his time but its not really about what he did now its the fact he shows no remorse for his actions,no connection of why he went to jail thats the point here.Honestley I like Vick as a player ,but this article shows all the work hes been doing for animals is just for show and I cant accept that.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vick Comments on Dog Fighting : He served two years in a Federal Pen, how many days did Dante Stallworth get? Maybe you cannot grasp the concept that where he grw up it was accepted behavior and that he got too involved in the dog fighting, but that he did his time and now he is being given a second chance. It is not that it makes his actions right, but he served his time, and we all hope learned the lesson and will use his exposure to combat violence against animals. I swear, some people in Mass think that killing a person is acceptable behavior, but touch an animal and throw him in jail forever. LOL

The thrust of the thread is exactly that he doesn't appear to have learned any lesson at all. His rhetoric indicates that he feels victimized -- whether by his "culture" or circumstance (read: Whitey) -- and any use of his "exposure" to combat violence against animals is hypocrisy of the purest ray serene.

25. This post has been removed.