Victor Cruz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

Victor Cruz

The Giants' receiver is a restricted free agent, who would require surrendering a first-round pick if the Giants don't match another club's offer sheet for him.

Any team near the bottom of the first round in need of a wide receiver should think about going after Cruz over a using a draft pick on a WR. In the past two seasons, Cruz, 26, has played 36 games with 189 receptions, 20 touchdowns while averaging 15.3 yards per catch and collecting 128 first downs. He has 21 postseason catches.

There's no guarantee any rookie in this draft class will produce those kind of numbers. The Texans, Patriots and Ravens should consider an offer sheet, because the Giants don't have the salary cap space to match a significant offer without cutting players. This was posted in CBS Sports.Com My question is since he's still available, would you make the trade?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Victor Cruz

Agree..no guarantees on rookies. Basically, we are comparing Cruz to Hopkins, Austin and Patterson Who would be drafted in the first round. The money it would take to get Cruz is going to be big, but I think he is worth it. Good size and speed, proven production.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Agree..no guarantees on rookies. Basically, we are comparing Cruz to Hopkins, Austin and Patterson Who would be drafted in the first round. The money it would take to get Cruz is going to be big, but I think he is worth it. Good size and speed, proven production.

I would still prefer Patterson out of Univ. Tennessee for rookie contract.  This guy is electric.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I like Cruz, but I just don't see the Pats handing over a 1st rounder AND big money for him.  Doesn't fit their MO at all. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

The bad thing is how long has it been since we've drafted a rookie WR that has been a star? Do like the idea of having good, young WR's around.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think it's both the money and the pick.  BB understands the value of picks, just like he understands the need to keep cap cost in line with production. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

I would still prefer Patterson out of Univ. Tennessee for rookie contract.  This guy is electric.

Patterson with the Pats would be very exciting. A bit of a fantasy too.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Doing my own mock drafts and looking at others, Patterson, Austin and Allen most likely will be picked before 29.  If we don't go after Cruz or Sanders  and keep our first 3 picks we will see better WR value in the 3rd round. 2nd round is an option but third seems better. 

It all comes down to what Rusty has said what is the Cruz's price? You have to say for sure he will get more than Welker or Danny A - floor of 6 million, I would say he is more in the 8 million range, others might have him higher, but also depends on the guaranteed money.

I posted that we had about 17 million cap (Miguel Patscap) (other forum posters say we have more) left, not counting A Wilsons, Nick K, K,Arrington. contract.  If you sign Cruz, half that cap is gone.  Maybe there is a need for 2 million for rookies  and another 5 million for A. Wilson Nick K and Arrington (guess).  We may have about 2 million left. What about Abraham?  Down to 1 million??

All this is guess work, but interesting to see what will happen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It's not only about the draft pick.  While I agree we wont get a better player in the first round but there is a huge diffence in paying a rookie and paying Cruz.  Those rookie contracts are pretty cheap these days.  they say teams figure about $4 mill of their cap goes to all rookies combined, that would be no where near what it would cost to bring in Cruz.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

It's not only about the draft pick.  While I agree we wont get a better player in the first round but there is a huge diffence in paying a rookie and paying Cruz.  Those rookie contracts are pretty cheap these days.  they say teams figure about $4 mill of their cap goes to all rookies combined, that would be no where near what it would cost to bring in Cruz.

If we give up the first rd pick it would be about 2 million for the 2nd 3rd, and (2) 7th rd picks.  I think the comparision is getting Cruz and his potential impact in the offense a better value compared to the players NE are targeting in the first round. Is a 1st rd OG or DT/DE with a potential 10 year value a better option than Cruz for five years?  There are some that would argue that with Brady's window closing go for Cruz.   I don't want Cruz but I can see why some would say do it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Cruz drops more balls then Breland Edwards.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Is Edwards still available??  Bring the beast in!!

Just kidding!

Or am I?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to NoahJustin's comment:

The Giants' receiver is a restricted free agent, who would require surrendering a first-round pick if the Giants don't match another club's offer sheet for him.

Any team near the bottom of the first round in need of a wide receiver should think about going after Cruz over a using a draft pick on a WR. In the past two seasons, Cruz, 26, has played 36 games with 189 receptions, 20 touchdowns while averaging 15.3 yards per catch and collecting 128 first downs. He has 21 postseason catches.

There's no guarantee any rookie in this draft class will produce those kind of numbers. The Texans, Patriots and Ravens should consider an offer sheet, because the Giants don't have the salary cap space to match a significant offer without cutting players. This was posted in CBS Sports.Com My question is since he's still available, would you make the trade?

HANDS OFF!!  :   )

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Rusty may be on to something:

Bart Hubbuch @HubbuchNYP

Steve Tisch says it’s “probable” that another team makes an offer for Victor Cruz.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Has anyone been seeing Jim Irsay's tweets?

Theyve been going after an unnamed WR

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Has anyone been seeing Jim Irsay's tweets?

Theyve been going after an unnamed WR

Yes, but even though they have cap they need help on the D&O lines and secondary.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

no he dropped some early last yr then fixed that-and didn't drop many the first season

and tell me u wouldn't take a drop here or there for that kind of production

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Pats got to make a run at Cruz or sanders. If for some reason we don't get either, our WR rebuilding effort is not going to be pretty. I doubt bb goes into the season with amendola and jones alone. Can't do it, so a move is virtually guaranteed. Even if we get one of them, we still have to add another WR either in the draft or FA. This week is going to be exciting.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

id absolutely love for them to go out and get cruz, but its very unlikely. the pats rarely give up that much for a player. adding cruz, along with getting maybe another free agent db and re-signing vollmer, would have to make the pats favorites to represent the afc in the super bowl next year...if they arent already.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

10 TDs out of a supposed slot guy who is catching balls from an inferior Eli Manning?  Me likey.

sure ain't inferior when he plays you guys  :  )

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I really suspect they'll use the draft for WR. There just aren't great options available this year in free agency.  Cruz would be a great addition, but between the pick and the cap cost I don't see it as likely.

25. This post has been removed.