Vollmer listed #7 best rookie-but I think he is better than that

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Vollmer listed #7 best rookie-but I think he is better than that

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtNSxE65TwexR489EbQNUMtDubYF?slug=pfw-20091124_rookie_meter_stafford_has_exciting_potential&prov=pfw&type=lgns

If there was a redrafting of the 2009 NFL Draft, where would Sebastian Vollmer go?  I think he would be #5 or #6 player picked.  Thoughts on the revised Draft it it were today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Re: Vollmer listed #7 best rookie-but I think he is better than that

I would rank him maybe one or two spots higher but its not a bad thing to be number 7.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

where is juilian edleman on tha list? he shud atleast be on the cusp -.-

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Edelman was out for a few games otherwise he might be listed. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Percy sure would have been nice, though.  Wonder if Pats would have taken him if Vikes didn't make pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

A bit surprising that none of the top 3 OTs taken in the top 8 picks are even mentioned. Not saying it's undeserved, just noteworthy. Then again, unless rookie OTs are dominating like Oher and Vollmer, a mediocre rookie WR might stand out more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Anybody know how Malcolm Jenkins is playing so far for the Saints?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Edelman really is that good when he's on the field, but he can get injured precisely because he's a lightweight.  That's why he shouldn't be drafted extremely high.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Next year will be better for Edelman. He'll spend the off season working out as a receiver not as a QB, so hopefully he'll add 10lbs of muscle to his frame.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Many (Pats) fans complained when Sea Bass was drafted.  Obviously, they did not do their homework, nor did they understand what a guy this big and athletic (and smart) could do on a football field.  Of course, the people in Houston were not surprised when the Pats grabbed him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Plus Edelman will have had a year under Welker to learn how to play the slot WR. And that cant hurt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Does anyone know who "locked" on to Vollmer and Edelman for the Pats? That scout or coach deserves a raise.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

I am sure the whole scouting department gets a big pat on the back for those two. We do all our scouting in house which is rare for a pro team and we always get a few diamonds in the rough. Got to love the Pats scouting department.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from noncallcity. Show noncallcity's posts

Not enough crow going around here. Let's face it, you heard soccer skills and thought "woose." 

Every one was rabid for "pass rushing outside linebackers." I was happy with the OLine pix but how could they avoid it? Plus, it was a good crop.

It's all about the offensive line in NE.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

I'm confused, two months ago everyone was knocking the scouting and drafting an screaming for the return of Pioli. Bill made Pioli look good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Vollmer brings tremendous value at #58. Look at all the first rounders he's being compared to, and all the MIA first rounders that he beat.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Vollmer has been great!  So glad we have a cornerstone for the next decade.  Edelman is bigger and taller than Welker, so need him to avoid the big hits like WW does/.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Vollmer listed #7 best rookie-but I think he is better than that:
    [QUOTE]Percy sure would have been nice, though.  Wonder if Pats would have taken him if Vikes didn't make pick.
    Posted by BSII[/QUOTE]

If the Patriots would have just drafted Harvin, then they wouldn't have had at least a couple of their second-rounders.

Personally, I'd rather have Vollmer, Chung, Butler, and Brace all instead of just one scat-receiver.  I think Edelman brings almost all of the same things to the table except returning kicks that Harvin does.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

At the moment, Harvin is much better than Edelman, then again Edelman was a QB till this year.  We will have to check back in 2-3 more seasons.  And i would rather have the picks we got over Harvin

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbrandy. Show rabbrandy's posts

either way it looks as though this was a great draft. 8 or 9 guys made the team, most of which contribute.  Tyrone McKenzie is on ir and may be pretty good as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

"Personally, I'd rather have Vollmer, Chung, Butler, and Brace all instead of just one scat-receiver."

The Pats had 3 second rounders going into the draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonreadercomments. Show bostonreadercomments's posts

When Vollmer was drafted and there was this outcry about the Pats reaching to take him in the second round, people did not realize the the Cowboys also had their eyes on him. Jerry Jones had invited Vollmer to his ranch to butter him up. He is another Mankins. Again, the message might have be: Fans should be fans and do  not pretend they are managers of the club.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

To anybody who praised Vollmer before the draft, and suggested him as a second round pick, please repost your original post(s) here.

I hear a lot of people acting like they were Vollmer experts and fans long before the draft.

Anybody? Anybody? I thought so...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

I believe #7 is a great spot for him. And if he continues to play like he´s doing it, he could end the season two or three spots above that.

As for Edelman, he´ll be WR #3 in catches by the end of the season, and a great project or next year.

I just hope we can have a good draft next year to really continue with the dynasty.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Re: Vollmer listed #7 best rookie-but I think he is better than that:
    [QUOTE]When Vollmer was drafted and there was this outcry about the Pats reaching to take him in the second round, people did not realize the the Cowboys also had their eyes on him. Jerry Jones had invited Vollmer to his ranch to butter him up. He is another Mankins. Again, the message might have be: Fans should be fans and do  not pretend they are managers of the club.
    Posted by bostonreadercomments[/QUOTE]

+1

I explicitly remember the reactions to the Vollmer pick...tons of criticism.  All one had to do was look at his pedigree and performance in college.  Don't forget, he hasn't been playing football as long as most players at this level.  In addition, he's a smart player...the type that BB likes.  The Houston papers raved about this guy; the local (university) fans certainly knew about him, as well.  Hmmmnnn...size, athleticism, and smarts.  Obviously, these attributes are a great combination for the NE system.

BTW, I didn't know that Dallas was also interested- thanks, for that.  FYI: my initial comments on aquiring Vollmer on draft day were: Cam Neely is no longer the Sea Bass in Boston.

Cheers!