WAIT!!! WHAT???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

WAIT!!! WHAT???

The sky is NOT falling??? What happened?? I thought we were an 8-8 team at best..  Third or even last in the East.. JK... I know it pre-season... Pre-games can actually be good or bad. I didn't see this as either. Just a solid outing from a very focused Patriot team... 

What do I expect from the season... I expect them to win some games they should. I expect they will lose a game they should win and win one they should lose. They will look very young for the first 4 games. They will improve greatly over games 5~8. I expect that while i'm carving turkey they will be playing some of the best football of the year. because they are young predicting W&L's is difficult. They will be 10-6 if it takes a while to gel or 13-3 if things come together quickly.. Great game last night...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: WAIT!!! WHAT???

After what I saw last night, Barring any major injury problems, I expect 12 wins from this team. They answered a lot of questions that I had and should improve from last night's performance quite a bit as the season progresses. Our offense will be superior to start the season out and we should be able to bury some of the weaker teams early. The main game that I care about is the Indy Game. We have to beat them this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

1s and some 2s looked pretty good to me.  interesting to see who gets whacked on first cut down.  I'm guessing, old guys will be jettisoned.  Could be they were just being held out to save them, but the new/young guys sure held their own.  The Saints O and D line are large, and we overcame that fairly well.  Good sign.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Edelman is a beast, I know that for sure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Last week my power rankings had the Patriots at 12.6 wins out of 16 based on last year's information, but I guesstimated last week that the new talent would bring them up to maybe 14 wins out of 16. 

The Patriots's first stringers just whipped a high-ranking (#1 in the NFL) team's first string, and as of today the Pats are tentatively up to 13.3 victories.  As I input more preseason data, I wouldn't be surprised to see their power ranking rise further, to around 14? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Did you watch the same game that I did last night? Do you see any OL depth IF Kaczur and Mankins are not available? Did you see any defensive pressure on the QB? Were you impressed with the DB's?
    Have you seen the schedule this season?
    8-8 or 9-7 is most realisitic. If Pats start 0-2 against Cincy and Jets it could get ugly. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

In Response to Re: WAIT!!! WHAT???:
    [QUOTE]Did you watch the same game that I did last night? Do you see any OL depth IF Kaczur and Mankins are not available? Did you see any defensive pressure on the QB? Were you impressed with the DB's? Have you seen the schedule this season? 8-8 or 9-7 is most realisitic. If Pats start 0-2 against Cincy and Jets it could get ugly. 
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

What game did you watch? the 2s looked mighty good with Hoyer at the helm.  after that it didn't look so hot, but what I saw was MIGHTY impressive.  If the Pats start 0-2 they will work out the issues, period.  Make adjustments.  Move on.  Just like always.  I was, in fact, impressed with DB's challenging receivers for a change.  Look, Brees killed us last year, and we really slowed him down last night.  It means the work being put in, although not complete, is progressing, and that we now have an answer for revis.  good enough for me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

In answer to one poster's question,the answer is that the Pats did get some push up the middle in passing situations.Frankly,more than I thought they would this early.Ty Warren's return,especially against the run is important.Let's hope he's back soon.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Troll? C'mon man, give me a break, I have been to every game including playoffs since Grogan was QB.
    I am happy some thought Hoyer looked good, but lets face it, he most likely won't get a snap this year. I see also that BJGE fell forward like he did the past 2 preseasons. But let's also face it, he is the longest of shots to even make the team, never mind the 45 man game day roster.
    What did I see and questions that are still unanswered?
    With Wilfork doubled almost every play, did Warren give enough pressure in single coverage. Except for one time, he did not.
    How much did missing last nights game set back Cunningham?
    How much will it hurt Kaczur missing so much time when/if he comes back learning a new position?
    Hernandez played like a rookie. I assume the plan is to play him every snap of preseason to get him game ready. Will he be?
    Gronk looked lost, and I think it will take him much of the season to get onto the 45 man game day
    I was unimpressed that way the OLB's set the edge against the run.
    Big questions in my mind:
    Tate poor route runner. Brady can live with drops. He can't live with being in the wrong spot. Tate must improve on his route running
    Gronk needs to improve his blocking. He will get on the field more once he can reliably block
    OL. I liked the run blocking behind Vollmer and Neal. I thought the pass protection with the #2's was very spotty
    Positives:
    Brady is healthy
    Maroney had time to find the holes and hit them quickly
    Moss looks healthy
    Edelman is ready to go
    Mayo looks healthy and fast
    Chung was not tenatative (he was last year)
    Negatives:
    Health/holdouts
    DL
    OLB
    OL
    Cincy has very good DB's and the front 7 is very efficient. Cincy has vet's at WR and if Benson is playing can run the ball 30-35 times with the lead. VERY dangerous opening day game for a very young team like the Pats. They MUST play with the lead, balance the run vs the pass and get to Palmer often. You dont want to have to pass 40 times on those DB's.
    If Pats rush for 150 yards or more, they win. If Brady throws the ball 40 times or more, they lose.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

[QUOTE]Troll? C'mon man, give me a break, I have been to every game including playoffs since Grogan was QB. I am happy some thought Hoyer looked good, but lets face it, he most likely won't get a snap this year. I see also that BJGE fell forward like he did the past 2 preseasons. But let's also face it, he is the longest of shots to even make the team, never mind the 45 man game day roster. What did I see and questions that are still unanswered? With Wilfork doubled almost every play, did Warren give enough pressure in single coverage. Except for one time, he did not. How much did missing last nights game set back Cunningham? How much will it hurt Kaczur missing so much time when/if he comes back learning a new position? Hernandez played like a rookie. I assume the plan is to play him every snap of preseason to get him game ready. Will he be? Gronk looked lost, and I think it will take him much of the season to get onto the 45 man game day I was unimpressed that way the OLB's set the edge against the run. Big questions in my mind: Tate poor route runner. Brady can live with drops. He can't live with being in the wrong spot. Tate must improve on his route running Gronk needs to improve his blocking. He will get on the field more once he can reliably block OL. I liked the run blocking behind Vollmer and Neal. I thought the pass protection with the #2's was very spotty Positives: Brady is healthy Maroney had time to find the holes and hit them quickly Moss looks healthy Edelman is ready to go Mayo looks healthy and fast Chung was not tenatative (he was last year) Negatives: Health/holdouts DL OLB OL Cincy has very good DB's and the front 7 is very efficient. Cincy has vet's at WR and if Benson is playing can run the ball 30-35 times with the lead. VERY dangerous opening day game for a very young team like the Pats. They MUST play with the lead, balance the run vs the pass and get to Palmer often. You dont want to have to pass 40 times on those DB's. If Pats rush for 150 yards or more, they win. If Brady throws the ball 40 times or more, they lose.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Were you at the beer stand and watching the cheerleaders the entire game?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Russ, are you for real? You thought Gronkowski wasn't lost the entire game? Were you awake while the Saints WR's were wide open most of the game, but Ramsey repeatedly missed them? Did you see anyone effectively set the edge from the OLB spot? Did you feel the pressure on Hoyer and Robinson at all?
    Wake up. The Pats are young and inexperienced. That is a poor combination to try and make the playoffs. They have potential and will improve. They have a VERY difficult schedule. Young teams play poorly on the road.
    I hope your predictions of 10-12 wins are accurate. I laugh at the "power rankings" comments on the posts...go to the practices. Practice is EVERYTHING. The young guys...specifically Tate, Price, Hernandez, Gonkowski, Chung, Butler, Spikes, Brace, Pryor are not ready to play at playoff level...yet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WAIT!!! WHAT??? : Were you at the beer stand and watching the cheerleaders the entire game?
    Posted by JimNotJimmy[/QUOTE]
    Jimnotjimmy
    I was in my seat at the game the entire night. I see by your astute observations posted you have a lot to say on the game. Thanks for your expert take on the game. Now go back to the Sox board and complain about Paplbon

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

[QUOTE]Troll? C'mon man, give me a break, I have been to every game including playoffs since Grogan was QB. I am happy some thought Hoyer looked good, but lets face it, he most likely won't get a snap this year. I see also that BJGE fell forward like he did the past 2 preseasons. But let's also face it, he is the longest of shots to even make the team, never mind the 45 man game day roster. What did I see and questions that are still unanswered? With Wilfork doubled almost every play, did Warren give enough pressure in single coverage. Except for one time, he did not. How much did missing last nights game set back Cunningham? How much will it hurt Kaczur missing so much time when/if he comes back learning a new position? Hernandez played like a rookie. I assume the plan is to play him every snap of preseason to get him game ready. Will he be? Gronk looked lost, and I think it will take him much of the season to get onto the 45 man game day I was unimpressed that way the OLB's set the edge against the run. Big questions in my mind: Tate poor route runner. Brady can live with drops. He can't live with being in the wrong spot. Tate must improve on his route running Gronk needs to improve his blocking. He will get on the field more once he can reliably block OL. I liked the run blocking behind Vollmer and Neal. I thought the pass protection with the #2's was very spotty Positives: Brady is healthy Maroney had time to find the holes and hit them quickly Moss looks healthy Edelman is ready to go Mayo looks healthy and fast Chung was not tenatative (he was last year) Negatives: Health/holdouts DL OLB OL Cincy has very good DB's and the front 7 is very efficient. Cincy has vet's at WR and if Benson is playing can run the ball 30-35 times with the lead. VERY dangerous opening day game for a very young team like the Pats. They MUST play with the lead, balance the run vs the pass and get to Palmer often. You dont want to have to pass 40 times on those DB's. If Pats rush for 150 yards or more, they win. If Brady throws the ball 40 times or more, they lose.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Thats alot of bellyachin, for thefirst preseason game. Why not let them play some real football and work the kinks out, before you start tearing everyone a new butt-whole!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

You seem to be a glass half full guy.  I'm not.  It's the first "real" game, I wasn't expecting perfection by either team, but I saw a result that was good.  Individuals alway can improve, they will.  They are well coached.  The guts of what I saw was a large improvement over last year.  Cincy, on the other hand, looked a bit lost in their first game.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

One pre-season game is too few to make any predictions but go on, have your fun.

When they play for real all will have a much better feel for how its going to go.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

Good post.  What about McCourty?  I couldn't watch the game.  I was excited when we drafted a special teams player in the first round.  Seems to me that with a top talent like McCourty drafted for STs, we have completely changed the whole unit.  I see he had multiply 50 yard returns.  That ought to help the offense AND the defense.

[QUOTE]I think your metrics will make more sense when they complete all 4 preseason games and get the overview. I think what is painfully clear for trolls and what this means for their own team's D against this offense, is they will be in for a world of hurt trying to minimize points being scored. Even Brian Hoyer moves the chains with these bodies. This is exactly what I envisioned.  The 2007 offense when they need it, but more of the pre 2007 offensive style mixed in this year for the first time since 2005 or 2006, but with an upgrade in personnel and depth. This is the worst possible nightmare for trolls and their D's when they face this offense.   If you have a better Edelman and Welker in each slot, what on earth do you do? Use a nicke and dime? Ok, well, here comes the draw to Faulk. When you start seeing good blocking, mix of sets and personnel, positive plays, against a quality team like the Saints, that's nothing to sneeze at. This is no gameplanning and no real rhythm yet and they looked clean doing it. The D is still young, thin in spots, but you have to really like the youth infusion. Again, sort of what I expected in terms of speed, athleticism, fire, passion, physical play, etc.  It's good to see.  It's night and day in this area compared to Adalius loafing around and Jarvis Green failing to set the edge. If they can cover the flaws early in the season on D with the great offense, hopefully, the D jels as the season goes. These are the best case scenarios because the D is young and coming together, but the offense's balance should pose major problems for the good teams NE will face early in the season out of the gate. So far, so good.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

Of course, you're right.  Still, isn't it clear that the team is going in the right direction.  They have, over the past couple of seasons, become much younger and very talented.  As this talent develops, they will have the benefit of working with BB, Tom Brady, Matt Light, and Vince Wilfork.  As for predictions this year . . . I guess one could reasonable predict that Zoltan Mesko will blow a game for us as confidently as one could predict that the TEs will win one, etc.
    I have high hopes for this season, but I wonder if you could agree that regardless of what happens this year, that this time next year, with these 1st and second year players becoming 2nd and 3rd year players and with two #1 picks next year coming in, coupled with Mayo and the rest listed above, that next year this team will be scarey.!?  What do you think?  and don't tell me there could be no football next year - I know - assume football next year, and Brady being signed.

[QUOTE]One pre-season game is too few to make any predictions but go on, have your fun. When they play for real all will have a much better feel for how its going to go.
    Posted by Dessalines[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Saints played well against several rookies because they just played Hernandez, Gronk and Tate the previous day, and so the Saints were prepared.  Other players gave the Saints their worst grief.  Maybe no one can do anything about Edelman, and maybe the Saints hadn't seen McCourty on kickoff returns.

I'll agree that the Patriots' rookies have certain lousy rookie abilities now.  They'll be a little better in six weeks and a little better still in 10 weeks.  That's why the rookies got to the front of the line.  The team can go up, as opposed to (let's be specific) the Baltimore Ravens who have no first rounder, who barely have second rounders, and who can only go down.