wanna analyze another play...? 4th and 6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

wanna analyze another play...? 4th and 6

Dobson drops the ball,  but should brady have waited a split second and hit Edelman who was wide open aftr the crossing route...?

I don't have a problem with the decision... Since there is a whole school of thought associated with going for every 4th down so I'll let that go and, in fact they won in spite of the play failing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: wanna analyze another play...? 4th and 6

I looked at that play on film and think Brady made the right call. Edelman ended up coming open after the ball was released, but Dobson was the guy who initially got separated from the defenders and had the best chance of being open through the play. A throw to Edelman would have been between defenders and a much riskier attempt. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dobson drops the ball,  but should brady have waited a split second and hit Edelman who was wide open aftr the crossing route...?

I don't have a problem with the decision... Since there is a whole school of thought associated with going for every 4th down so I'll let that go and, in fact they won in spite of the play failing.

[/QUOTE]

As much as i like Dobson the ball was put in his chest and he dropped it. Brady went with his 1st read saw separation and made a perfect throw.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I looked at that play on film and think Brady made the right call. Edelman ended up coming open after the ball was released, but Dobson was the guy who initially got separated from the defenders and had the best chance of being open through the play. A throw to Edelman would have been between defenders and a much riskier attempt. 

Never mind the fact that Dobson is your first read on the pick/slant. It's a designed pass play to Dobson. How do we know? Hooman clears his route out underneath. Simple, streamlined concept, another one that NE runs all the time. Really a complete coverage buster, because it's designed to work even when the CBs and Safties read their keys correctly out of the stem.In fact, it might not work if they do not.  

The NFL works like a machine. 

For QB's it's called a progression, for WRs it's called the 'tree.'

Brady saw Dobson open ... he throws the ball to Dobson. End of story. 

You don't coach QB's to look past open WRs because there might be another one open and the open guy might drop the ball ... after all. 

That would result in a perilous amount of incompletions and sacks.

Again, football 101: NFL passing. 

Really ... not much to analyze outside of taking a clear drop ...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As much as i like Dobson the ball was put in his chest and he dropped it. Brady went with his 1st read saw separation and made a perfect throw.

[/QUOTE]

^ this. x100

Simple play ... why it's even being 'analyzed' here is beyond me. 

First read -> Open?

If Yes -> then throw.

If No -> Second read.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Never mind the fact that Dobson is your first read on the pick/slant. It's a designed pass play to Dobson. How do we know? Hooman clears his route out underneath. Simple, streamlined concept, another one that NE runs all the time. Really a complete coverage buster, because it's designed to work even when the CBs and Safties read their keys correctly out of the stem.In fact, it might not work if they do not.  

You don't coach QB's to look past open WRs because there might be another one open and the open guy might drop the ball ... after all. 

[/QUOTE]

Probably the best post I have read on this forum since being here.  That is the simple and basic passing concept of football right there.  doesn't get broken down any better then that.  Very nice zbellino

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Probably the best post I have read on this forum since being here.  That is the simple and basic passing concept of football right there.  doesn't get broken down any better then that.  Very nice zbellino

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rico. 

It wasn't exactly a cold-case file. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

So the drop is Brady's fault because he threw it too hard? Really?

Ever think a fast ball has less chance of being picked? Less time for the D to react? Less chance of an inexperienced defensive player hanging onto it if they do get there? Or maybe you want every pass to wobble like Peyton's?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to FishTaco64's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So the drop is Brady's fault because he threw it too hard? Really?

Ever think a fast ball has less chance of being picked? Less time for the D to react? Less chance of an inexperienced defensive player hanging onto it if they do get there? Or maybe you want every pass to wobble like Peyton's?

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. You are coached to throw slants as quickly as possible. It minimizes the chance for an interception. 

Who ever heard of a 'soft slant?' lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Your question is interesting, because if it's 1st and 10, I would hope a quarterback would not compusively throw a short throw but keep eyes open for a longer opportunity before releasing - it's worth a slightly higher sack risk for the big play. But in the fourth quarter, fourth and 6, your first guy is open, you get the first down thrown done. 

Unfortunately Dobson dropped it but to be honest I am ok with the younger receivers getting playing time, I much prefer that to a tired veteran like Ocho struggling to get open

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

dobson probably would have caught the ball if he hadn't tried to gain the first down.  I suppose he'd be catching less flak if he'd caught the ball while being tackled, leaving the Patriots with a difficult 5th and 2 opportunity.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree.

[/QUOTE]

Yup. U r correct.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Brady reminds me of Favre on those short 5 yard passes. Sometime he has no touch. That's another reason for a lot of these perceived drops by the way.   Brady throws lasers from 10 yards off when they don't need to be.

I started noticing this years ago.  Welker would just cover for him. Or Gronk with his Hamburger Helper gloves.

[/QUOTE]

JC Russ. What else do you want to put on Brady? The pass had to be fast given the route, coverage and down and distance. The pass was perfectly thrown and it wa just a simple drop by Dobson. You don't think brady and Dobson practice this same thing with the same ball velocity every day in practice? Sometimes a drop is just a drop.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree.

[/QUOTE]

Agree as well. The ball was on the money. Just flat out dropped. He could have waited for other reads which means holding on to the ball more. Which means more blocking from the O line  which did not have one of their finest moments in that game.