Want a good laugh?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Want a good laugh?

In Response to Re: Want a good laugh?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Want a good laugh? : This line needs to be retired on this forum. Its played, Jerry, so played!
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

This is true. I think King used it recently, so consider it a tribute to him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Want a good laugh? : Yeah, the 0-16 Lions had starters, so did the 14-2 Patriots.  The Pats were 8th in defense last year.  Third down defense was terrible but obviously they were not devoid of talent or they wouldn't have been better than 24 teams in defense.  If your point is that Crable, Wheatley, and Meri were bad picks I agree.  If your point is that they were replaced by aging veterans I disagree. 
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Yes, they were 8th in Overall Defense
    11 th in rushing D
    8th in points against/game
    30th in passing yards given up/game
    1st in takeaway/give away
    32 on getting off field on 3rd downs (league worst)

I think that the numbers do reflect the makeup of last years team: We got decent run D mostly because of Wilfork. Lousy secondary and pass rush is supported by being 30th in passing yards given up and dead last in getting off field on 3rd down. Yes, we have McCourty....but he can't do it alone.

Good news is that we've revamped our DL.  We'll see if Mayo floats around a lot more this year for blitzing purposes or covering targets.

The huge question mark is safety; especially w/ Mary being jettisoned. In addition, when we face a team w/ a good pass rush - will O'Brien and BB be smart enough to rush more often, throw more screens, call more play action plays, or have some movement on the line that will throw defenses off. In other words, go less w/ spread or having noone in backfield and being able to change game plan in the midst of a "bad" game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]I find it hard to believe that a guy with a Babe Parilli avatar and the user name BabeParilli would be this bitter about the moves Belichick makes.  If you were a Pats fan back when Babe Parilli played and continued to support them throughout the years, you would not complain this much about the moves Belichick makes.  You do sound like a spoiled "recently became a Pats fan" posting.
    Posted by DoNotSleepOnThePats[/QUOTE]

No. I just don't credit Hoodie for our relatively great success from 6 years ago. I crerdit Brady. Hoodie is just the failed coach from Cleveland without Brady.

But you're right. I am terribly spoiled with Brady. I shudder at the thought of what we will be stuck with when he hangs 'em up. I hope he can play until he's 41 like he says he wants to. I wouldn't put it past him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Babe, I think this is a case of rality being somewhere between extreme opinions.

The D had a horrible pass rush last year, had quite a number of young players getting a good amount of playing time and had some other missing pieces (for example an OLB who could set the edge, drop back and pass rush.... i.e. a full time OLB). SO yes they were not an especially good D. THere were many worse but they were not good.

If you look at the current 53 man roster they have a lot of the players BB has gotten the past three years (2008-2011). Many from the draft, some from FA, etc. While a lot has been made of the last couple of drafts (and they do look good at this point in time) no one ever claimed BB or anyone else has to build a team from the draft alone. Look at all the players he has gotten in trade and FA over the years. Players that were either stars, starters or key role players. I expect you can name many of them as well as I can.

From what I see this D looks better than last year and not just because of any one acquisition this year. We are talking about this before a single game has been played but what the heck. It looks like they improved their pass rush. One element of that is in changing schemes and using Mayo on the outside. He is a young, drafted player. It looks to me like they will have better pass coverage from the CB spot. One reason is the return of Bodden (not a draft pick). ANother is that I expect some growth from a second year McCourty (that doesnt mean more picks, just sounder play). The growth of another young player - Arrington (not that I am saying he is special, but that he is very young and looks like an OK player to me). I do not know what Dowling will be like. Nothing to judge on.

Clearly the addition of Haynesworth, Ellis and Carter all help as well. And they fit your remarks. But again, no reason to exclude FA or trades from improvement.

Now I will add that outside my opening sentence I have not addressed your central remark which had to do with fans high expectations. I think the fans in general and certainly here were disappointed about not getting a pass rusher in the draft. Shocked is maybe a better word. So I think you overstate this aspect just a little.

Regardless, the D should be better this year than last. The O should have a better running game. The young players should be a little more steady. The D schemes a little more aggressive. Last year, with a bear of a schedule, they were 14-2. With a better team it is hard to expect them to do worse than 12-4 and few would be surprised to see them do better. That record will win the division. They will be tested in the playoffs. THen we will see how far they have really progressed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dyslexic. Show dyslexic's posts

[QUOTE]I find it hard to believe that a guy with a Babe Parilli avatar and the user name BabeParilli would be this bitter about the moves Belichick makes.  If you were a Pats fan back when Babe Parilli played and continued to support them throughout the years, you would not complain this much about the moves Belichick makes.  You do sound like a spoiled "recently became a Pats fan" posting.

He sounds more like Felger than a Patriots fan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Want a good laugh? : He sounds more like Felger than a Patriots fan.
    Posted by dyslexic[/QUOTE]

Really, I'm more of a Patriot fan than the kool-aide drinkers. I tell it like it is because I care about the team, not the coach. Been here long before the failed coach from Cleveland came along.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

The only thing I laugh about is you, Babe! By now I'm sure we all know how much you dislike BB. Funny thing is, though, that there are still a lot of draft picks on the 2011 defense. Sure, he's brought in some vets to help out. But it's not much different from any other year. As for switching to more of a 4-3, that's simply adapting to the strengths of the players. You make it sound like he's suddenly changed his strategy instead of simply making the moves he feels will help this team get better. You really do sound like a spoiled kid, a lot of teams (and their fans) would be thrilled to have eight straight double-digit win seasons! All in all the defense has gotten younger since 07, when clearly a lot of those guys were at the end of their careers. I'd still like to hear you answer the question I posed in other threads...who would YOU suggest Kraft replace him with? Any fool can sit on a computer and complain someone else is not doing their job. But it's just hot air unless you can actually come up with what you think would be a better approach! I think he's addressed the issue of a pass rush by switching to a base 4-3, as there were simply not any 3-4 OLBs available who could get the job done. I agree their 3rd down defense gave up a lot of big plays last year. But if they cannot rush the QB the guys in the secondary are going to be beat, no matter how good they are. While we all want to see Super Bowls every year, it's simply not realistic. You sound like you should be working for ESPN. But maybe they have their quota of idiots who criticize but really know nothing about the process they're talking about! Everyone on the "inside" will say BB is one of the best at working the draft. But I suppose you're more of an expert than they are! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]The only thing I laugh about is you, Babe! By now I'm sure we all know how much you dislike BB. Funny thing is, though, that there are still a lot of draft picks on the 2011 defense. Sure, he's brought in some vets to help out. But it's not much different from any other year. As for switching to more of a 4-3, that's simply adapting to the strengths of the players. You make it sound like he's suddenly changed his strategy instead of simply making the moves he feels will help this team get better. You really do sound like a spoiled kid, a lot of teams (and their fans) would be thrilled to have eight straight double-digit win seasons! All in all the defense has gotten younger since 07, when clearly a lot of those guys were at the end of their careers. I'd still like to hear you answer the question I posed in other threads...who would YOU suggest Kraft replace him with? Any fool can sit on a computer and complain someone else is not doing their job. But it's just hot air unless you can actually come up with what you think would be a better approach! I think he's addressed the issue of a pass rush by switching to a base 4-3, as there were simply not any 3-4 OLBs available who could get the job done. I agree their 3rd down defense gave up a lot of big plays last year. But if they cannot rush the QB the guys in the secondary are going to be beat, no matter how good they are. While we all want to see Super Bowls every year, it's simply not realistic. You sound like you should be working for ESPN. But maybe they have their quota of idiots who criticize but really know nothing about the process they're talking about! Everyone on the "inside" will say BB is one of the best at working the draft. But I suppose you're more of an expert than they are! 
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I can bring some mirth to your life.

The only tools who think I'm spoiled are the ones liquored up on Hoodie fire water.

Those with a clue realize coming up empty for 6 years with the best player in the game is a fail. And two one and outs and a no show in the last 3 got old real fast.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Well, if not winning the SB is a "fail" as you call it, then 31 teams are failures every year! And you should know having the "best" player in the league does not guarantee a championship! There have been many great players who never got a ring! Again, you do not answer the proverbial question. What is your suggestion? Who do you think could build a more solid team with the picks NE has had? What players would you have chosen that were available? Who do you think could come to Foxboro and be a better GM and coach? I'm as disappointed as anyone with the recent postseason failures, but I can't think of someone better I'd rather see at the helm. In any case, I'll wait to see how this team does this season before jumping to conclusions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Want a good laugh? : No. I just don't credit Hoodie for our relatively great success from 6 years ago. I crerdit Brady. Hoodie is just the failed coach from Cleveland without Brady. But you're right. I am terribly spoiled with Brady. I shudder at the thought of what we will be stuck with when he hangs 'em up. I hope he can play until he's 41 like he says he wants to. I wouldn't put it past him.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Hoodie did decent without Brady in 2008.  Not trying to discredit Brady (His high school picture is my avatar) but Hoodie is a pretty smart dude.  You can't disagree with that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Want a good laugh?:
    [QUOTE]Some fans have gone to great lengths to break down for us the brilliant rebuilding job super genius has done on our D. Sensational finds with high draft picks like Brace, Butler, Chung, Cunningham, Spikes, Wheatley, Crable and Meriweather have been painstakingly assembled by the mastermind and those in the know have told us this shiny new trap was about to be sprung upon an unsuspecting NFL this very season. Now here's the funny part. Instead of this master rebuilding plan finally reaching fruition, Hoodie goes out and finds a bevy of veteran defenders long in the tooth from all over the league, changes the basic premise of the D, and in doing so completely blows the hell out of that nonsense about rebuilding. He didn't rebuild. The people he drafted sucked and you can't rebuild with inferior parts. So now he's trying to throw something together at the last minute that might actually work. Are you laughing yet? You should be, because you just can't make stuff like this up.
    Babe, reading this post is in itself rather amusing. You have placed a bar up there for the Pats in that they should do NO wrong! You somehow expect every decision BB and the Pats brass make are correct, every player drafted works out as does every free agent signing. If you would like to trade places with other franchises with less success so you can have less angst, go for it. You are definitely spoiled by the successes the Pats have been enjoying, much more so that most fans in this league can enjoy, and as a result, you cry like a banshee when they do not win the SB because you expect them to win it year in and year out.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Is there a new Metrix, I'm unaware of, based on passed draft picks that measures a Coach's level of competence?

I would like to see the complete list of Coach's rank, based on the Metrix the OP is using, before I laugh.  Thanks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

He's not a Pats fan; he's a miserable, little troll.

If you were watching the final pre-season game, you would have heard that during the Bob Kraft era, the Patriots have been the winningest team, not just in the NFL, mind you, but in ALL OF MAJOR PROFESSIONAL SPORTS in the USA. Any idiot knows that most of Kraft's success came with Belichick as the DC or HC, with the crown jewels coming with him as HC.

If Parilli the troll reminisces about the days of Dick MacPherson or Rod Rust or Ron Meyer or Ron Erhardt as skipper...God love him. I'd rather have the mofo with the 3 Lombardis (and 2 more as Giants DC) as my guy.

I'm so sick of idiots who want to pick apart drafts as a sign of importance. The Head Coach/GM's job is to put the best 53 on the field NO MATTER WHERE they come from; draft, UDFAs, trade, free agency, et cetera. If the Pats are consistently in contention to win Super Bowls, I don't give a rat's azzz whether there is a single draft pick on the team; nor whether there are any good free agents.

Belichick says all the time, "Every year is a different year." He's not coaching for a legacy of great draft picks; he's coaching to win football games. Perspective, please; if a draft pick doesn't make the team, perhaps it's not so much a sign of bad drafting as it is a sign of good acquisition of players from elsewhere.

The job is to win. Belichick does it.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Want a good laugh? : Yeah. Maybe Hoodie fears for his job. Kraft might not be quite the kool-aide guzzler the average fan is. His contract is up pretty soon. I doubt Kraft is thrilled with the last 3 years as he watches his $19 mil HOF QB get older. I was shocked Kraft threw Hoodie under the bus after the jets playoff loss.

I'm sure he's just waiting on you and TP to get your resumee's in.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Want a good laugh? : He's not a Pats fan; he's a miserable, little troll. If you were watching the final pre-season game, you would have heard that during the Bob Kraft era, the Patriots have been the winningest team, not just in the NFL, mind you, but in ALL OF MAJOR PROFESSIONAL SPORTS in the USA. Any idiot knows that most of Kraft's success came with Belichick as the DC or HC, with the crown jewels coming with him as HC. If Parilli the troll reminisces about the days of Dick MacPherson or Rod Rust or Ron Meyer or Ron Erhardt as skipper...God love him. I'd rather have the mofo with the 3 Lombardis (and 2 more as Giants DC) as my guy. I'm so sick of idiots who want to pick apart drafts as a sign of importance. The Head Coach/GM's job is to put the best 53 on the field NO MATTER WHERE they come from; draft, UDFAs, trade, free agency, et cetera. If the Pats are consistently in contention to win Super Bowls, I don't give a rat's azzz whether there is a single draft pick on the team; nor whether there are any good free agents. Belichick says all the time, "Every year is a different year." He's not coaching for a legacy of great draft picks; he's coaching to win football games. Perspective, please; if a draft pick doesn't make the team, perhaps it's not so much a sign of bad drafting as it is a sign of good acquisition of players from elsewhere . The job is to win. Belichick does it.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

What he said.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Some fans have gone to great lengths to break down for us the brilliant rebuilding job super genius has done on our D. Sensational finds with high draft picks like Brace, Butler, Chung, Cunningham, Spikes, Wheatley, Crable and Meriweather have been painstakingly assembled by the mastermind and those in the know have told us this shiny new trap was about to be sprung upon an unsuspecting NFL this very season. Now here's the funny part. Instead of this master rebuilding plan finally reaching fruition, Hoodie goes out and finds a bevy of veteran defenders long in the tooth from all over the league, changes the basic premise of the D, and in doing so completely blows the hell out of that nonsense about rebuilding. He didn't rebuild. The people he drafted sucked and you can't rebuild with inferior parts. So now he's trying to throw something together at the last minute that might actually work. Are you laughing yet? You should be, because you just can't make stuff like this up.

Unfortunately Babe, you may be right.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Want a good laugh? : He's not a Pats fan; he's a miserable, little troll. If you were watching the final pre-season game, you would have heard that during the Bob Kraft era, the Patriots have been the winningest team, not just in the NFL, mind you, but in ALL OF MAJOR PROFESSIONAL SPORTS in the USA. Any idiot knows that most of Kraft's success came with Belichick as the DC or HC, with the crown jewels coming with him as HC. If Parilli the troll reminisces about the days of Dick MacPherson or Rod Rust or Ron Meyer or Ron Erhardt as skipper...God love him. I'd rather have the mofo with the 3 Lombardis (and 2 more as Giants DC) as my guy. I'm so sick of idiots who want to pick apart drafts as a sign of importance. The Head Coach/GM's job is to put the best 53 on the field NO MATTER WHERE they come from; draft, UDFAs, trade, free agency, et cetera. If the Pats are consistently in contention to win Super Bowls, I don't give a rat's azzz whether there is a single draft pick on the team; nor whether there are any good free agents. Belichick says all the time, "Every year is a different year." He's not coaching for a legacy of great draft picks; he's coaching to win football games. Perspective, please; if a draft pick doesn't make the team, perhaps it's not so much a sign of bad drafting as it is a sign of good acquisition of players from elsewhere . The job is to win. Belichick does it.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

You bring up some interesting points about the draft picks.  And many people here have posted that not every team hits on all draft picks.  Which is true.  But the track record since Belichick took over as HC speaks for itself.  And the list of great draft picks is pretty solid for Belichick.  Jerod Mayo, Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Richard Seymour, Logan Mankins, and even some guy from Michigan named Tom Brady.  Not sure where I was going with this but even though I don't agree with every move Belichick makes, I can't be mad at the success he has brought to the team and the fact that the Pats contend year in and year out based on how he molds this roster.  It's not all Tom Brady.  He's a big part of our success but it starts at the top with ownership and Mr. Kraft allows Bill Belichick to run this team how he sees fit.  What do we have to show for it?  4 Super Bowl appearances, 3 Super Bowl titles, 8 Division titles, and yearly contention.  What could any Patriots fan possibly have to complain about with one of the greatest coaches in NFL history?  Who would they want in Belichick's place?  Please tell me.  I'd love to know.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]No, I'm not laughing at your post--it's more in the "stupid/cranky" vein than  "clever/funny." I mean, seriously, working the draft, trades, free agency, and waiver wires constantly to improve your team, to the point where your roster cuts are the rest of the league's treasure chest --that makes me you a dumb coach?  Certainly someone's pretty f-ing dumb here...
    Posted by USMCM1A1[/QUOTE]

Took the words right out of my mouth.  Nice post.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayclay. Show rayclay's posts

That's an interesting take, Babe.  I'm not sure I can disagree with much in there.  The proofs in the pudding, as they say.  All those picks for the last few years.  What has it gotten us?  I think that the big problem has been the lack of courage to take a few of those picks and get a real game changer.  How many years in a row can you have 10 picks and then go sign a bunch of free agents?  It looks like it has caught up with us in one way... we dumped a recent pro bowl player and lost a decent draft pick from this year.  Hopefully, all of those free agents put us over the top this year.