Want a good laugh?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Want a good laugh?

In Response to Re: Want a good laugh?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Want a good laugh? : Are you kidding? Rodney Harrison for Lawyer Milloy in the secondary. What about how he addressed his 2002 older carry overs into 2003 by bringing in Rick Lyle, Ted Washington, Rosie Colvin, etc? It's not like Wilfork came onto NE and learned in millisecodns to be a dominant NT. Washington was clearly a tutor, wisely chosen by BB. You sound like Michael Felger being all dramatic. He's on the radio right now babbling about how we should have Clay Matthews over Rob Gronkowksi, Edelman and Butler. Is Rob Gronkowski not a clear a beast and a huge reason why this offense has been fixed??? Oh, I think so. And when the running game improves this year enough to take minutes off the clock, the talented but one dimensional Matthews won't look like some slam dunk choice over having Gronkowski's beastly presence for the run and passing game. The only argument for taking Matthews over Gronkowksi is that Matthews ended up on a SB winning team.  Ok. So, if Gronkowski, Edelman and Butler are on one this year, where does that leave the argument? The fact is, you, Felger and other irrational goobers hold BB to a much higher standard.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

When was the offense broken?

I have stated that BB did make some good decisions (along with Pioli) early in the decade that augmented the core of good players he inherited and combined with the good fortune of getting Brady in the 6th round the result was a dynasty.

Since then, he has not gotten the job done as a GM and the results bear this out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Want a good laugh? : And NE wins divisions at their weakest points while rebuilding, but you can't quite do the math, can you? lol

Of course they won their division. They have Brady and everybody else don't.

The flaws on the team are much more likely to rear their ugly head in one or a handful of playoff games rather than over an entire season. The Pats are a better team than the jets despite whatever happened in that one playoff game, and that's why they won the division.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Want a good laugh? : Rex Ryan is so brilliant, he had Cromartie on Branch in December and Jim Leonhard came up with the idea to flood and hook midfield as the Jets only gameplan approach in the playoffs. lmao Truth hurts. Apparently, I knew more than Rex Ryan with how to defend the Pats and it wasn't to put Cromartie on Branch. Our only problem was we didin't have a coordinator react quick enough after poor execution on offense in the 1st qtr. That's not really brilliance and I wouldn't be bragging about any of the Jets drafts of late. That's for damn sure. 

Why are you talking about the jets to me? I don't care about them. They are just another opponent we need to beat. I have no accolades to bestow on them. Ryan has made them more relevant than they were. Nothing much more to say. We are a better team despite our flaws.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]wasnt scott piolli the so called gm during the bad drafts of 06-08? and to think at one point piolli was considered the genius...
    Posted by cellucci[/QUOTE]

Pioli is vastly overrated. This will become clearer this season.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Want a good laugh? : You are in your own trap.  Lombardi had HOF QB Jurgensen in Washington.  BB had no HOF QB's in Cleveland. Geesh, why the he!! did they name a trophy after that stiff Lombardi?
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

Lombardi had one year in Washington. They had to name it after somebody and Paul Brown was too much of a maverick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]On 98.5 right now.... Some guy just intelligently challenged Felger and  his dopey sidekick Bertrand and hey cut him off when he mentioned the logical facts about a lottery draft and the fact dealing Seymour who know makes 14 million per year, based on open market bids for his services, needs to be considered. Gee, I wonder why they cut him off and mocked him?  Because he was about to expose their little approach to drive ratings before NE rolls out a juggernaut in 2011. That's why. Then, we hear Felger use sarcasm about how cap hell isn't a reality.  Yeah, right, sure. It's really easy to assemble 53 players and balance a roster. lol Well, yes it is, for many teams the salar cap issues rears its ugly head and those who think they have built correctly and then injuries happen, other players demand outrageous salaries using their leverage on you, etc, and then voila, you are in a cap pinch. It happens quick. He also said the Jets have done it better, which is laughable when you look at their last few drafts compared to NE yields. If this was the case, why is NY, who is shooting for a SB the last 2 years, not winning the division, and not blowing by the Pats? Why are the Pats 5-1 odds in Vegas to win the SB?  And why did NE just have 16 claimed players, NY 1, and NY claiming 7 players elsewhere to fill out their roster after cuts? Which team has the better plan after going into the lockout? The fact is, NE is clearly better developed now and moving forward, yet again controlling another draft in 2012 and considered loaded this year and beyond. The salary cap is actually LESS in 2011 than it was in 2009, so why would Seymour at 14 million, no Solder to invest in for replacing Light, no Haynesworth, Ellis or Andre Carter be better?? It's not!  Clearly!

The jets will struggle to make the playoffs this year. Last year was a relatively easy schedule and that's why the Pats went 14-2 and the jets 11-5. Subtract 3 wins from that each. Pats still win the division and the jets are out at 8-8.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Want a good laugh? : Are you serious? The one dimensional McDaniels spread wasn't broken until Week 5 last year? Really? Do you watch this team?

Last year the team scored 38, 14, 38, 41 points in the first 4 weeks. That's a broke offense to you?

Yes.

(btw, the D was giving up 24 ppg through the first 11 weeks.)

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Want a good laugh?:
    [QUOTE]Some fans have gone to great lengths to break down for us the brilliant rebuilding job super genius has done on our D. Sensational finds with high draft picks like Brace, Butler, Chung, Cunningham, Spikes, Wheatley, Crable and Meriweather have been painstakingly assembled by the mastermind and those in the know have told us this shiny new trap was about to be sprung upon an unsuspecting NFL this very season. Now here's the funny part. Instead of this master rebuilding plan finally reaching fruition, Hoodie goes out and finds a bevy of veteran defenders long in the tooth from all over the league, changes the basic premise of the D, and in doing so completely blows the hell out of that nonsense about rebuilding. He didn't rebuild. The people he drafted sucked and you can't rebuild with inferior parts. So now he's trying to throw something together at the last minute that might actually work. Are you laughing yet? You should be, because you just can't make stuff like this up.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

I swear, you must have eaten lots of lead paint chips when you were a kid.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

BB's approach to rebuilding via the draft is interesting. He seems to value quantity vs. quality. Perhaps because the draft is a crap shoot, and he knows if you pick more early, you have a better chance of scoring on a pick, even if you miss on a few.

If we look over the last 5 drafts (06'-10') (not counting 2011 because we don't know anything about how these kids will do)....How well did we do in rounds 1, 2 and 3 (typcially where the cream is supposedly)? How many of these kids turned contributor vs. bust that are still on the team?....lets look

Contributor / Starter List
    2006 NONE
    2007 NONE
    2008 Mayo
    2009 Chung, Brace (TBD), Vollmer
    2010 No busts in rounds 1-3 as of yet. Each is a contributor or starter. (McCourty, Gronk, Spikes, Cunningham, Price)

Bust List
    2006 Maroney, Jackson, Thomas
    2007 Meriweather
    2008 Wheately, Crable, O'Connell
    2009 Butler, Tate, McKenzie, Brace (TBD)
    2010 None as of yet

7 contributors/starters, 10 busts. Not counting Brace and only counting rounds 1-3 since 2006. Also I didn't count Welker in 2007. If we do, that is 8 contributors, 10 busts. I imagine if we expanded it to round 4, the ratio would be roughly the same 7-8 contributors/10 busts.

To me, the 10 busts are telling. That supposedly is 10 kids, potential starters that should be logging substantial playing time. Even if we only hit on 3 of those 10, that still is significant. So, we talk about a youth movement and rebuildinng, but it seems that we have squandered 10 draft picks in rounds 1-3 over the past 5 years.

As much as a Pats fan I have been and am today, Parilli and TexPat have some solid ground to stand on here.

Over to you Russ...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]BB's approach to rebuilding via the draft is interesting. He seems to value quantity vs. quality. Perhaps because the draft is a crap shoot, and he knows if you pick more early, you have a better chance of scoring on a pick, even if you miss on a few. If we look over the last 5 drafts (06'-10') (not counting 2011 because we don't know anything about how these kids will do)....How well did we do in rounds 1, 2 and 3 (typcially where the cream is supposedly)? How many of these kids turned contributor vs. bust that are still on the team?....lets look Contributor / Starter List 2006 NONE 2007 NONE 2008 Mayo 2009 Chung, Brace (TBD), Vollmer 2010 No busts in rounds 1-3 as of yet. Each is a contributor or starter. (McCourty, Gronk, Spikes, Cunningham, Price) Bust List 2006 Maroney, Jackson, Thomas 2007 Meriweather 2008 Wheately, Crable, O'Connell 2009 Butler, Tate, McKenzie, Brace (TBD) 2010 None as of yet 7 contributors/starters, 10 busts. Not counting Brace and only counting rounds 1-3 since 2006. Also I didn't count Welker in 2007. If we do, that is 8 contributors, 10 busts. I imagine if we expanded it to round 4, the ratio would be roughly the same 7-8 contributors/10 busts. To me, the 10 busts are telling. That supposedly is 10 kids, potential starters that should be logging substantial playing time. Even if we only hit on 3 of those 10, that still is significant. So, we talk about a youth movement and rebuildinng, but it seems that we have squandered 10 draft picks in rounds 1-3 over the past 5 years. As much as a Pats fan I have been and am today, Parilli and TexPat have some solid ground to stand on here. Over to you Russ...
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

This is well put.

It is telling I think that anyone who dares to question BB as a GM is labeled as a bad fan by some, or not a fan at all.  It tells us that the most nasty of Pat's fans are most apt to be Hoodie apologists.

I really haven't seen any that question the personnel moves by Hoodie accusing others of not being a fan or of being a troll.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think the truest of fans have to question all the time. Things aren't perfect by any stretch, but when you net it out, the results look atrocious.

I think we are all fans on this board, or at least most of us. Some are a bit more forgiving, some seek to justify, some just call it out the way it is. I tend to be the 1st and 3rd of these. I'm not going to justify anything. I think we have done a pi$$ poor job via the draft if you look over the past 5 years.

2010 and 2011 look to change that trend. And here's hoping we turn the ratios on the busts vs. contributor discussion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

yes the pats have missed badly in recent drafts, but thankfully, we have the greatest coach in the league that can put a team on the field and make them playoff contenders no matter how many busts they have had.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

[QUOTE] Well Bill cant draft in round 2-3 ,as soon as he picks I keep thinking the Pats should give the player a coupon for truck driving school and send him home.
    Posted by Mybologna[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

I agree 100%, he can't draft in the 2nd round but insists he'll find value there like he a Filenes's basement shopper. All the 2nd rounders blow

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

[QUOTE]The only thing I laugh about is you, Babe! By now I'm sure we all know how much you dislike BB. Funny thing is, though, that there are still a lot of draft picks on the 2011 defense. Sure, he's brought in some vets to help out. But it's not much different from any other year. As for switching to more of a 4-3, that's simply adapting to the strengths of the players. You make it sound like he's suddenly changed his strategy instead of simply making the moves he feels will help this team get better. You really do sound like a spoiled kid, a lot of teams (and their fans) would be thrilled to have eight straight double-digit win seasons! All in all the defense has gotten younger since 07, when clearly a lot of those guys were at the end of their careers. I'd still like to hear you answer the question I posed in other threads...who would YOU suggest Kraft replace him with? Any fool can sit on a computer and complain someone else is not doing their job. But it's just hot air unless you can actually come up with what you think would be a better approach! I think he's addressed the issue of a pass rush by switching to a base 4-3, as there were simply not any 3-4 OLBs available who could get the job done. I agree their 3rd down defense gave up a lot of big plays last year. But if they cannot rush the QB the guys in the secondary are going to be beat, no matter how good they are. While we all want to see Super Bowls every year, it's simply not realistic. You sound like you should be working for ESPN. But maybe they have their quota of idiots who criticize but really know nothing about the process they're talking about! Everyone on the "inside" will say BB is one of the best at working the draft. But I suppose you're more of an expert than they are! 
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

one of the best at working the draft? Who are you kidding? He's a great coach but the worst drafter of college players ever! Mayo and Hernandez are the exceptions

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

OK I had to look this up, but here are the 1st and 2nd round picks by the Packers in the years under Lombardi.  This is in a 12-14 team league at the start, so a 2nd rounder back then should have been a better pick than where the Pats have been drafting lately in the FIRST round.

Year      Rnd1                   Rnd2
    1959      Randy Duncan      Alex Hawkins
    1960      Tom Moore           Bob Jeter
    1961      Herb Adderley       Ron Kostelnik
    1962      Earl Gros              Ed Blaine
    1963      Dave Robinson      Tom Brown
    1964      Lloyd Voss           Jon Morris
    1965      Larry Elkins          Alphonse Dotson
    1966      Jim Grabowski       Tom Cichowski
                Gale Gillingham  
    1967      Bob Hyland           Dave Dunaway
                Don Horn              Jim Flanigan
    1968      Fred Carr            
                Bill Lueck

One HOFer (Adderley).   It can be argued that he molded the players he inherited in 1959 into HOFers.

I'll put BB the GM against this draft record any day (and I am not ripping Lombardi).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]OK I had to look this up, but here are the 1st and 2nd round picks by the Packers in the years under Lombardi.  This is in a 12-14 team league at the start, so a 2nd rounder back then should have been a better pick than where the Pats have been drafting lately in the FIRST round. Year      Rnd1                   Rnd2 1959      Randy Duncan      Alex Hawkins 1960      Tom Moore           Bob Jeter 1961      Herb Adderley       Ron Kostelnik 1962      Earl Gros              Ed Blaine 1963      Dave Robinson      Tom Brown 1964      Lloyd Voss           Jon Morris 1965      Larry Elkins          Alphonse Dotson 1966      Jim Grabowski       Tom Cichowski             Gale Gillingham   1967      Bob Hyland           Dave Dunaway             Don Horn              Jim Flanigan 1968      Fred Carr                         Bill Lueck One HOFer (Adderley).   It can be argued that he molded the players he inherited in 1959 into HOFers. I'll put BB the GM against this draft record any day (and I am not ripping Lombardi).
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

You can't even compare the draft of those days and now. Scouting was a shadow of what it is today. There was hardly even any film of players. There was no combine to work people out. Apples and oranges.

But just for perspective: The Pack picked up 5 HOFers in a span of 6 years through the draft (some of that preceding Vince). Has Hoodie done that?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]This isn't so much about the Jets as it is Felger's agenda being obvious as he desperatley uses them as a team to say they did better.  It's absoutely ludicrous to ignore NE hitting oin 1st rd picks, not having a Gholston anywhere near their resume and then pretending NY has better yields. They don't! They haven't done better! Run the names. Same with Indy. Nope.   Baltimore. Nope.  Pitt? Nope. And you do the same thing with your agenda. You are very likely a troll doing a very good job in here posing as a Pats fan.

Okay, Russ...let's run the names. The Jets are a good team to contrast against the Patriots, because they seem to rely on a quality over quantity approach...while the Pats shoot for quantity, primarily in rounds 2-3. I'll look at the past 5 years below, and list only the contributors for each team:

I.) 2006 Draft:

A.) NY Jets:

1.) LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson (4th overall): Two time pro-bowl selection in 2009 and 2010:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%27Brickashaw_Ferguson

2.) C Nick Mangold (29th overall): Three time pro-bowler, 2008-2010: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Mangold 

3.) WR/KR Brad Smith (103rd overall): Represented the Jet's wildcat offense. Big play guy. Excellent kick returner. Signed to big money free agent deal in 2011 by the Buffalo Bills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Smith_(American_football);

4.) RB/KR Leon Washington (117th overall): Better than Darren Sproles, until he suffered a badly broken leg in 2009. Extremely dangerous in the open field as a RB, or KR. Three time pro-bowl selection in 2007, 2008, and 2010: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Washington 

B.) N.E. Patriots: 

1.) RB Laurence Maroney: (21st overall): Had three decent years with the Pats as a RB, before the wheels came off for him in 2010: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Maroney

2.) PK Stephen Gostkowski: (118th overall): Usually reliable, and a good kick-off man. Has done a solid job. Pro-bowler and NFL scoring leader in 2008: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Gostkowski

II. 2007 Draft:

A.) NY Jets: 

1.) CB Darrelle Revis (14th overall): Best CB in the game...and maybe the best defensive player in the league. Three time pro-bowler, 2008-10: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrelle_Revis

2.) ILB David Harris (47th overall): One of the top ILBs in the NFL. Pro-bowl selection in 2009: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Harris_(American_football);

B.) NE Patriots:

1.) FS Brandon Meriweather (24th overall): An enigma. Two-time pro-bowler in 2009-10, who seemingly regressed a bit every year he played. Released by Pats in 2011: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Meriweather;

2.) Traded 60th and 110th overall selections in order to acquire WRs Wes Welker and Randy Moss.

2008 Draft: 

A.) NY Jets: 

1.) TE Dustin Keller (30th overall): Good pass receiving option. Solid player: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustin_Keller

2.) CB Dwight Lowery (113th overall): Decent nickel CB, who Jets traded in 2011, rather than releasing him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_Lowery

B.) NE Patriots:

1.) LB Jerod Mayo (10th overall): The heart of the Patriots' defense, along with Vince Wilfolk. Defensive rookie of the year, and pro-bowler in 2010;

2.) WR Matthew Slater (153rd overall): Very good special teams performer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Slater

III. 2009 Draft:

A.) NY Jets: 

1.) QB Mark Sanchez: (5th overall): Good young QB, who seems to be improving every season. Has been tough under pressure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Sanchez

2.) RB Shonn Greene: (65th overall): The main man in the Jets' backfield. Takes over for LT. Tough, solid RB: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shonn_Greene

B.) NE Patriots: 

1.) SS Patrick Chung (34th overall): Tough tackler and very good special team player. Though he's had his moments, he appears to have issues in pass coverage. Durability has been a problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Chung

2.) RT Sebastien Vollmer (58th overall): Solid RT with upside...but nothing more to this point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Vollmer

3.) WR/PR Julian Edelman (232rd overall): Has evolved into a very effective punt returner. Inconsistent as a receiver, but hopes still abound that one day he'll be able to take over for Wes Welker in the slot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Edelman

IV. 2010 Draft:     

A.) NY Jets: 

1.) CB Kyle Wilson (29th overall): Nickel CB has been a disappointment for the Jets thus far.

B.) NE Patriots: 

1.) CB Devin McCourty (27th overall): Enjoyed a great rookie year, in which he made the pro-bowl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_McCourty

2.) TE Rob Gronkowski (42nd overall): Outstanding rookie campaign for Gronk, who flashed pro-bowl capabilities. Scored 10 TDs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Gronkowski  

3.) OLB/DE Jermaine Cunningham (53rd overall): Showed some signs that he could develop into an effective pass-rusher. But, we need to see more. Showed little during the preseason: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jermaine_Cunningham

4.) ILB Brandon Spikes (#62 overall): Showed flashes of being a force inside. Much maligned for his lack of speed, but displayed football instincts. Must behave himself off the field, if he's to fulfill his potential: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Spikes

5.) TE Aaron Hernandez (#113 overall): Has the ability to develop into a Dallas Clark-like TE. Excellent hands, and good speed for his size. 2011 could be a break-out season for him, if he can stay healthy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Hernandez

6.) P Zolton "The Magnificent" Mesko (#150 overall): Has seized the punting job in Foxboro. Has the potential to blossom into one of the league's better punters. Good directional kicker: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoltan_Mesko_(American_football)

***** The Verdict:

1.) 2006: The Jets had a magnificent draft.
    GRADE: A+
                           The Patriots did a fair-poor job.
    GRADE: C-

2.) 2007: The Jets again scored big time, with two of the best young defenders in the game. Revis makes teams change their game plans to work around him.
    GRADE: A+ (Revis is a once in a decade player)          

The Patriots got some production out of Brandon Meriweather. But, in the end, he never came close to fufilling expectations. Getting Wes Welker and Randy Moss for draft picks were brilliant BB moves.
    GRADE: B

3.) 2008: Striking out on Vernon Gholston may have cost the Jets a SB: GRADE: D;           

The Pats scored with Mayo...but whiffed every other time up:
    GRADE: C;

4.) 2009: The Jets boldly traded up, and stole Mark Sanchez. Shonn Greene is a solid back:
    GRADE: B;

The Patriots blew a golden opportunity to strengthen themselves by passing on Clay Matthews and Mike Wallace. Striking out on Butler, Brace, and Tate really hurts. Nonetheless, they did find Vollmer...and there's still hope for Chung and Edelman:
    GRADE: C; 

5.) 2010: The Jets flopped with Kyle Wilson and Vlad Ducasse:
    GRADE: D-;

The Pats finally dusted themselves off in 2010 with McCourty, Gronk, Spikes, Hernandez, and Mesko leading the way:
    GRADE: A+;

Jets Grades: A+, A+, D, B, D-:          Avg. Grade: B-  

Pats' Grades: C-, B, C, C, A+:           Avg. Grade: B-

Thoughts?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Jets Grades: A+, A+, D, B, D-:          Avg. Grade: B-  

Pats' Grades: C-, B, C, C, A+:           Avg. Grade: B-

Thoughts?

Ha Ha, that was excellent, David copperfield would even be impressed.

25. This post has been removed.