Was Edelman being in the wildcat just a sample of things to come?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

Was Edelman being in the wildcat just a sample of things to come?

i couldnt help but notice that on a couple of snaps the pats faked bringing edelman under the center and actually snapped it to him once. i think that is something we will use more against NO and as the year goes on. wouldnt shock me if stanback is also in on some wildcat plays as we move on. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

Re: Was Edelman being in the wildcat just a sample of things to come?

In Response to Was Edelman being in the wildcat just a sample of things to come?:
    [QUOTE]i couldnt help but notice that on a couple of snaps the pats faked bringing edelman under the center and actually snapped it to him once. i think that is something we will use more against NO and as the year goes on. wouldnt shock me if stanback is also in on some wildcat plays as we move on. 
    Posted by bubbakilla[/QUOTE]Clearly he was. bel never just does things as a whim. wont surprise me if we habe something lined up involving stanback also. like a reverse and then a pitch and throw by isaiah to moss after the aggressive saints bite! or a direct snap to stanback in motion on a third and 3. there are still pages of the playbook bill seems to be holding out on. love how he coaches and manages for the entire season and saves specific twists for specific teams, setting it all up opponent by opponent. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I don't think you will see too much of it until playoff time.  They'll throw a play here and there just to see how it works and if they have the right players to run that package which I believe they do.
    If they run it successfully it will be a scary thought for defenses.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

No. Brady gives you the best chance on the field at any given time. Maybe some kind of trick play or two in the future over the next couple years. 

What do you do with Brady? Put him out at wide receiver? LOL! Put him on the bench so Eld can take the snap and do the wildcat? Are you kidding me? 

I think that falls into the "trick play" category that comes out once in a blue moon. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

You dont have to take Brady out of the game. I can draw up a play right now that keeps Brady in the game and still manages to do a trick play.

Brady is under center, the Pats run an end around to Edelman and once the D committs to the run Edelman pulls up and passes the ball deep to Moss. BAM that is a trick play and Brady never leaves the field. And thats a simple play I am sure BB could come up with way better plays that keep Brady on the field but also trick people. To assume that the only way to run the option offense is the Miami WIld Cat is wrong there are lots of ways to do it with out ever having to take Brady off the field or have him spread out wide at WR so dont shoot it down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

As the weather gets colder in December and whiter in January, Edelman becomes a change of pace to Brady.  Cold windy weather favors runners, and Edelman combines a rocket lateral first step with fair (but not great) throwing accuracy.  Opponents have to waste time preparing for Edelman's option plays and occasional downfield passes, which can be a bother when also trying to prepare for Brady, Moss, Welker, and the whoever is open passing offense.

I suspect that Miami's Pat White can't actually throw the football, but that Edelman can, if he is well-managed by BB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

If anyone remembers that Steelers' game in 07, when Brady and Moss did a double lateral to Gaffney, I expect a similar play from them. 

Edelman lines up as the QB, throws to Brady on the outside outside, Brady laterals it back to Edelman, Edelman launches it deep to Randy Moss.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

In Response to Re: Was Edelman being in the wildcat just a sample of things to come?:
    [QUOTE]If anyone remembers that Steelers' game in 07, when Brady and Moss did a double lateral to Gaffney, I expect a similar play from them.  Edelman lines up as the QB, throws to Brady on the outside outside, Brady laterals it back to Edelman, Edelman launches it deep to Randy Moss.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]49, sanchez is on pace to be a potentially good qb. he is the NORM for first rounders or first year guys thrown into the qb fire. brady is lucky he was drafted by a great organization that already had a franchise qb with great coaches all around to develop him, plus as he says over and over, BLEDSOE is the biggest reason he learned the qb ropes. bledsoe shared everything he knew unselfishly with brady even when he was the 4th qb. if jets had luxury of doing that with sanchez or most teams with their first year-first rounders, i am sure they all would. had brady eneded up with an oakland or tampa, i am sure the odds are against him ever being able to cross that development threshold! takes time , repitition and out-of the box coaches with confidence in you and JOB SECURITY! how many coaches are in the position to bench a bledsoe who the owner not only likes professionally but privately hangs out with and openly considers a surrogate "son" for an unknown-big question mark 6th rounder? safest thing would have been to go bak to bledsoe once healthy, but not belichick.. 

lastly, peyton threw 100 ints his first 5 years, and something like 28 his first year... i am sure many in indy were wishing they had drafted the immortal ryan leaf instead... with time, obviously peyton got it. i see lots of positives and potential in sanchez, he just needs some organizational stability and experience! same with matthew Stafford and josh freeman. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

That doesn't accomplish anything over having a running back in the backfield. It only works if the QB goes out wide and pulls someone over to cover him or he comes off the field entirely. That gives you the numbers edge inside the box. You think they would put Brady out there on the wing? They could put a lineman on him to pancake him once the ball is snapped. He couldn't outrun a lineman. What a gift for the d! 

Gosh everyone is so excited and wet about it what amounts to maybe 2 plays the entire season that probably won't fool anyone. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Wildcat works best for a team that's loaded with running backs. That doesn't sound like the Pats to me.  However, I suspect BB likes having opponents have to think about it and use practice time to prepare for it, so he probably will show a few wildcat looks just to keep his opponents guessing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Was Edelman being in the wildcat just a sample of things to come?:
    [QUOTE]That doesn't accomplish anything over having a running back in the backfield. It only works if the QB goes out wide and pulls someone over to cover him or he comes off the field entirely. That gives you the numbers edge inside the box. You think they would put Brady out there on the wing? They could put a lineman on him to pancake him once the ball is snapped. He couldn't outrun a lineman. What a gift for the d!  Gosh everyone is so excited and wet about it what amounts to maybe 2 plays the entire season that probably won't fool anyone. 
    Posted by Macrawn[/QUOTE]

This is exactly why the Pats won't do much of wildcat. They'd really have to take Brady out and replace him with Edelman and/or Stanback (both of whom have QB experience).  The problem, though, is that Edelman and Stanback are really more receivers then running backs. Ideally for the wildcat you want your QB to be an RB/QB hybrid rather than a WR/QB hybrid.  Still, look for BB to show some wildcat looks to keep opponents on their toes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I miss the good old days when you could just run a gadget play without 17,000 deuschebag, fantasy-league, general manager wannabes insisting that the single wing is the future of the NFL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

Don't forget that the Saints have already prepared for the wildcat and handled it quite well.  If I remember correctly the Fins ran it 13 times for 37 yards.  It was also ineffective when the Eagles tried it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]Don't forget that the Saints have already prepared for the wildcat and handled it quite well.  If I remember correctly the Fins ran it 13 times for 37 yards.  It was also ineffective when the Eagles tried it.
    Posted by AsylumGuido[/QUOTE]

Handled it so well, in fact, that the Saints had to rally late and benefit from some fine Sporano dunderheadery late to come away with a win that was less comfortable than it looked in the paper the next day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was Edelman being in the wildcat just a sample of things to come? : Handled it so well, in fact, that the Saints had to rally late and benefit from some fine Sporano dunderheadery late to come away with a win that was less comfortable than it looked in the paper the next day.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Yup.  That 68 yarder by Ricky Williams did not come out of the Wildcat.  That run would have never happened with Ellis in there.  Actually, I watched the game and it wasn't that uncomfortable at all.  The second half was all Saints.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

"Was Edelman being in the wildcat just a sample of things to come?"

I hope not considering it was a horrible failure, cost us a down and almost the ball.