Waters Nameplate has been removed.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Waters Nameplate has been removed.

The nameplate has been taken off RG Brian Waters' locker at Patriots headquarters.

Waters has reportedly been hesitant to leave his Dallas-area family for the 2012 season. The inference in removing his nameplate is that the Pats are no longer counting on the veteran to return in the first week or two of the season. It's not clear yet if the Patriots have closed the door and moved on altogether.- roto

Who thinks he still shows?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Waters Nameplate has been removed.

Not me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Well I guess it's starting to look that way...  we'll see. I'm still holding out hope he shows up for week 2 or 3.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I still suspect that Belichick and Waters are pulling a Junior Seau.  BB gets all of his 53 team members now, and Waters is in the bag too. 

The critical decision would probably come the day after someone goes on injured reserve.  The hole in the roster would preferably be on the offensive line.  However, any opening on the roster might possibly work unless BB thinks the injury really caused a shortage.

Removing the name plate takes the media focus off of Waters.  It also helps the team to focus on, this week, Tennessee.  The labor cost of reattaching the nameplate might be $2.  The football club has a $100 million payroll and can afford $2 to solve a small problem. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I still suspect that Belichick and Waters are pulling a Junior Seau.  BB gets all of his 53 team members now, and Waters is in the bag too. 

The critical decision would probably come the day after someone goes on injured reserve.  The hole in the roster would preferably be on the offensive line.  However, any opening on the roster might possibly work unless BB thinks the injury really caused a shortage.

Removing the name plate takes the media focus off of Waters.  It also helps the team to focus on, this week, Tennessee.  The labor cost of reattaching the nameplate might be $2.  The football club has a $100 million payroll and can afford $2 to solve a small problem. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Name plate....jersey...buh-bye. I don't see it happening at this point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If he is technically a holdout he doesn't need to report until week 12. And I believe failure to report does not lose a roster spot. He may have a back room deal going on. Maybe show up late and grab a short season ring. Just speculating.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

C'mon. No mystery here. Waters is answering the phone and leaving his house. The story is out, just no one is speaking on the record. He wants to play for the Texans or Cowboys, but Pats arent releasing him, and Texans or Boys arent paying the cost BB is asking. So, Waters sits...
    WOuldnt surprise me if the Boys in the playoff hunt blink first, and give up a 3rd for Waters to play the back end of the season

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from olivern. Show olivern's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

If this is true about Pats wanting him to take a pay cut, I have changed my stance about this, the Pats and BB are disrespecting him.
    They are wrong!

The reported requested pay cut of $500,000 (as reported by the Herald) seems like chump change for the Pats given that the O-Line could use the help. If thats all there is to the story then who can blame Waters for wanting to take a cut?  There must be a sub-plot - if not it doesn't seem like a good move by the Pats.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I don't get the pay cut talk. He has a contract. The Pats can want to cut his pay all they like, it ain't happening unless he agrees to new terms. They pay him if he reports or they can cut him. Explain how this isn't so?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I said over the summer that if I was the pats I'd fork over another 700k/1 million to convince this guy to spend another year so far away from his family. Why not? The guy came in and played at a level that exceeded what he was payed last year and it's a position of need - now we hear they want him to take a 500k pay cut? It's being reported that they would set it up so he could possibly make more if he played all 16 games, but why mess with him? We didn't draft or sign free agents to replace him...we don't have leverage. Seems petty...there has to be more to it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Where exactly is this paycut speculation coming from?  The Herald "piece" provides no evidence or any real reason why NE cares what Waters is getting paid this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Here is a piece that makes a heck of a lot more sense:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Ugh wrong url: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/09/update_on_water.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    If any one of us were Brian Waters, we would not give into a paycut. He made the Pro Bowl!
    Also he is well aware that he is a huge difference maker.
    None of us would accept a contract where he could make up the difference up by making the 46 man roster every single week of the season! Hell that is not even guaranteed money. It sounds like slap in the face.  This does not sound like the Patriots. Is there something more?

I said over the summer that if I was the pats I'd fork over another 700k/1 million to convince this guy to spend another year so far away from his family. Why not? The guy came in and played at a level that exceeded what he was payed last year and it's a position of need - now we hear they want him to take a 500k pay cut? It's being reported that they would set it up so he could possibly make more if he played all 16 games, but why mess with him? We didn't draft or sign free agents to replace him...we don't have leverage. Seems petty...there has to be more to it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The Patriots have bent over backwards to accommodate Waters.  They let him skip OTA's so he could be with his family.  They haven't openly condemned him for not showing up even when it's pretty clear they were expecting it.  The guy signed a contract and wants more money because he thinks it's so hard to leave his family and it sounds like he has lobbied for NE to let him go to another team.  To give themselves a bit of protection it sounds like NE agreed to give him more money in the form of bonuses based on PT because his commitment to football in NE is questionable and they don't want to be on the hook for guaranteed money if he chooses to walk away.  If what the piece I linked says is true and if he can't accept that whose fault is it?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

i hope its the case

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

absolutely

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

The Patriots have bent over backwards to accommodate Waters.  They let him skip OTA's so he could be with his family.  They haven't openly condemned him for not showing up even when it's pretty clear they were expecting it.  The guy signed a contract and wants more money because he thinks it's so hard to leave his family and it sounds like he has lobbied for NE to let him go to another team.  To give themselves a bit of protection it sounds like NE agreed to give him more money in the form of bonuses based on PT because his commitment to football in NE is questionable and they don't want to be on the hook for guaranteed money if he chooses to walk away.  If what the piece I linked says is true and if he can't accept that whose fault is it?

Normally I'd agree - a guy signs a contract and a team accommodates the player=guy should show up an honor his contract. Let's face it though, the guy out played his salary last year and we are 8 million under the cap heading into the season...why not give some to a guy that deserves it? This would only be for one season as well. If we had leverage I'd say no way, but we signed no one to replace him, nor did we draft anyone - add in the fact that we pass a lot. We aren't talking about a 6 year 40 million dollar extension here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

From the info in the link it appears he is hoping a deal to the Texans can be made. Knowing that's what he desires the Texans aren't offering much. So the Pats sit tight. Failing that happening he might return later in the year for a ring run.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

The pats cannot afford to NOT sign Waters. SeaBass has a hurting back, Mankins is comming off knee surgery, McDonald is probable. That leaves Solder, Connolly and Wendell. If anything the Pats need more than just Waters but Waters would be a good start.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to viewer222's comment:

The pats cannot afford to NOT sign Waters. SeaBass has a hurting back, Mankins is comming off knee surgery, McDonald is probable. That leaves Solder, Connolly and Wendell. If anything the Pats need more than just Waters but Waters would be a good start.

May explain why they're signing all those TEs.  If the O-line struggles with its blocking duties, having a bunch of skill players who can double as blockers isn't a bad idea. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

The only ones who truly know whats going  are Waters and Patriots  ...with that said. Hes under contract with Pats and he can sit or play. I find it hard to fathom that the Pats wont pay a Pro Bowl guard  500-650k when they just blew 6.5 million in signing / workout bonus's to guys who were cut in the last two weeks. Waters made this situation by signing a two years deal. Did he think the team would move to Texas after the first year!!!!! ???? If he doesnt want to leave his family , thats fine and I respect that however he could have said something and not left them hanging for so long so maybe the Patriots could have planned better. Parcells once said once a player talked about retirement , they have probably checked out long before. He needs us more then we need him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to EASON11's comment:

The only ones who truly know whats going  are Waters and Patriots  ...with that said. Hes under contract with Pats and he can sit or play. I find it hard to fathom that the Pats wont pay a Pro Bowl guard  500-650k when they just blew 6.5 million in signing / workout bonus's to guys who were cut in the last two weeks. Waters made this situation by signing a two years deal. Did he think the team would move to Texas after the first year!!!!! ???? If he doesnt want to leave his family , thats fine and I respect that however he could have said something and not left them hanging for so long so maybe the Patriots could have planned better. Parcells once said once a player talked about retirement , they have probably checked out long before. He needs us more then we need him.

agree on teh 11 mill past like 12 mos in released players
    you lose me on teh last comment about him needing us more than him.
    i see it the opposite.
    id give him up to 5 mil (not guaranteed) to get his butt on the line and protect bradys career.
    hes prob more valuable to me than welker at the moment. zero sacks given up last year. keepng brady healhy is more important than any 1 of our weapons imo. i wouldnt risk that we will be good enough all year on o line and gamble that brady wont get killed