We have Best Safeties in the NFL?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

We have Best Safeties in the NFL?

Merriweather- sure he started off on the bench but as of late he has been playing outstanding. This year he has been tackling a lot better and is a ballhawk in the secondary. SS and FS

Chung- Sure he has trouble covering man to man, but hes a froce aginst the run and when he returned from injury the defense just played better.

Sanders- sure I can ourtun him but is just a solid all around playmaker, not good at one thing but decent at everything. A definiton back up safety who can play both spots.

Page- The groups wild card has been hurt a lot but shows he can play, hope his role expands down the stretch

Brown- tall 6'1 a good special teamer and has played well when he has the chance. May be our 3rd safety after camp next year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: We have Best Safeties in the NFL?

Seen Page play against the Jets on Monday, made some solid hits.  I want to see him healthy and in there some more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Chung is a missile, but I wouldn't put Merriweather or Sanders too high in a league where Polamalu is healthy and Ed Reed is not retired yet.  Even Dawan Landry and Ryan Clark bring more to the table, meaning that most of the Steelers' and Ravens' safeties alone are better than all but Chung.

And before you go citing the Pats' wins against both, remember that their superior safeties had to go against our vastly superior quarterback (Brady is a much tougher opponent for Polamalu/Reed/Landry/Clark than Flacco or Roethlisberger-without-an-offensive-line are for Chung & company).

Until Merriweather makes a Pro Bowl in which the top 7 candidates don't back out, let's hold off on calling the Pats' safeties the best in the league.  They're versatile, which is enough.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: We have Best Safeties in the NFL?:
    [QUOTE]Chung is a missile, but I wouldn't put Merriweather or Sanders too high in a league where Polamalu is healthy and Ed Reed is not retired yet.  Even Dawan Landry and Ryan Clark bring more to the table, meaning that most of the Steelers' and Ravens' safeties alone are better than all but Chung. And before you go citing the Pats' wins against both, remember that their superior safeties had to go against our vastly superior quarterback (Brady is a much tougher opponent for Polamalu/Reed/Landry/Clark than Flacco or Roethlisberger-without-an-offensive-line are for Chung & company). Until Merriweather makes a Pro Bowl in which the top 7 candidates don't back out, let's hold off on calling the Pats' safeties the best in the league.  They're versatile, which is enough.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Polamalu and Reed are great, but you're nuts if you think that Clark and Landry are better than either Meriweather or Sanders. 

Clark is severely overrated. He suks in coverage and he's average in run support. His job was to cheap shot WRs who cross the middle of the field and now that Goodell is collecting his Christmas bonus for running too fast you hardly hear his name anymore.

Landry is a thug, but he's about as good as James Sanders. He's better against the run than Sanders and better in coverage, but that's only because Sanders suks in coverage. 

I don't think I'd put Chung ahead of Meriweather. Chung is a better tackler and, probably, the best tackler in the group, but he's mediocre in coverage. 

Meriweather is the most athletic. 

McGowan is the best in coverage and the most physical. 

Next season I fully expect to see Meriweather continue his deep safety position, McGowan playing S/LB and and Chung playing switchblade (CB, S, LB, blitzer, OLB) 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Our Safeties currently play for the best team in Foootball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Landry is being heckled by Ravens fans this year.  His brother is better.

Ryan Clark is also overrated.

Jarrad Page tilts this discussion for NE, in my opinion.  I think this is a very underrated move by BB and it will hopefully pay off down the stretch and into next year.

Sanders has had his best year in NE so far, at least since 2006 or 2007.

Merriweather is also having a pretty good year as well.

I think the reason why NE's Safety group is arguably the best in the AFC, if not the league, is the obvious depth with the varying skill sets of each player. It makes it probably pretty fun for BB/Patricia to use them for certain match ups.

Too bad Chung dinged up his knee because he was knocking on the door of a Pro Bowl year.  The only thing Polamalu has over Chung is experience.

Sergio Brown is pretty versatile. He almost plays like a CB even though he isn't as quick as a CB should be.

They are essentially the same player in terms of skills.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

meriweather has two ints on poorly thrown balls and a gazillion missed tackles

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

The Pat's safeties are playing better as a unit. I like Chung alot. Sanders is preforming good. Merriweather? He just dosen't quite fit the business like approach that Belichick wants from a professional ballplayer. To quote Bill "Do your job". Merriweather is still trying to figure that out. He's surrounded by good ballplayers like McCoutry and that in itself may make Merriweather want to pay more attention to detail.
    Not the best safeties in the league but getting better and jelling as a unit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

What team has the best Safeties?  Just curious. I look around the league and I can't find a team with 4 or 5 deep like this who are capable of starting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Our Safeties currently play for the best team in Foootball.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

yep, the only best player we have in the league is our QB

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

what about NT? wilfork is a beast. and alot of our players are top 5 at their respective positions such as mankins, vollmer, gronk, crumpler (blocking TE), meriweather, neal, welker, warren, mccourty, mayo, etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

[QUOTE]what about NT? wilfork is a beast. and alot of our players are top 5 at their respective positions such as mankins, vollmer, gronk, crumpler (blocking TE), meriweather, neal, welker, warren, mccourty, mayo, etc.
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

I hate to break it to you but Vollmer, Gronk, Neal, Merriweather, and Warren are not top 5 in their positions. I love the Pats but Im not oblivious to the rest of the league

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]what about NT? wilfork is a beast. and alot of our players are top 5 at their respective positions such as mankins, vollmer, gronk, crumpler (blocking TE), meriweather, neal, welker, warren, mccourty, mayo, etc.
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

really? i mean i love those players, but are they currently the best at their positions in the entire league?

i coould see if mccourty had ten INTs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Are you allowed to post here while serving your 4-game suspension?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We have Best Safeties in the NFL? : Polamalu and Reed are great, but you're nuts if you think that Clark and Landry are better than either Meriweather or Sanders.  Clark is severely overrated. He suks in coverage and he's average in run support. His job was to cheap shot WRs who cross the middle of the field and now that Goodell is collecting his Christmas bonus for running too fast you hardly hear his name anymore. Landry is a thug, but he's about as good as James Sanders. He's better against the run than Sanders and better in coverage, but that's only because Sanders suks in coverage.  I don't think I'd put Chung ahead of Meriweather. Chung is a better tackler and, probably, the best tackler in the group, but he's mediocre in coverage.  Meriweather is the most athletic.  McGowan is the best in coverage and the most physical.  Next season I fully expect to see Meriweather continue his deep safety position, McGowan playing S/LB and and Chung playing switchblade (CB, S, LB, blitzer, OLB) 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

You had me until you said that McGowan was the best in coverage, at which point I questioned whether you and I were thinking of the same player.

McGowan is great at one thing in coverage: covering a team's pass-catching tight end.  That's it.  He's ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE IN ZONE COVERAGE and he frequently blew his assignments last season, with prime examples coming against the Jets in week 2 and the Saints in week (10?)

Merriweather got fooled to easily last season covering the deep middle, where he'd bite on underneath routes and let receivers get behind him, with good examples coming against the Saints and Panthers in back-to-back games last year.  I would say that he's not much better than Chung in terms of athleticism, at least from what I see in terms of game speed.  I haven't been able to watch enough of the games this season to assess his improvement if any, but I'm not too excited about him other than his straight-line speed.  His hitting is also underrated.

Dawan Landry only gets heckled because LaRon Landry is a fantastic safety.  There are a lot of safeties that are worse than LaRon Landry, including all of the Patriots' safeties.

On Clark, I don't like what he does as an "enforcer" but it's effective.

@BBReigns - I agree that we have one of the strongest units top-to-bottom, but I'd bet there's a better two-man tandem out there.    On this front, I would nominate the Giants' combo of Kenny Phillips and Antrel Rolle (whose dumb comments don't detract from his ability to play the position).  They're fast and they're both good in coverage.  I was a big fan of Rolle's work in Arizona where he also seemed to do a good job blitzing and supporting the run.

So the Pats have the safeties that win their matchups and fulfill their roles in a winning scheme, but there are other better individual talents out there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

It's all relative, but they are playing well and they fit our system.  Best?  There are some good ones out there and you know who they are.  One thing I will say last year when Chung was doing nothing, I was a bit miffed by the fact that we kept trading down (until we got Chung).  Delmas, the Lions pick was having a great year, so I was wondering what are they doing?  But it does come down to how a guy fits the system and how they are utilized. 

Bottom line I'm happy with the team.  It's obvious they are back to 'contender' status...as the 'pretender' status the past two years, albeit great for most cities, was a downer.