WEEK 4 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

Re: WEEK 4 NFL PICKS and

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Hard to believe, but in a week from now the 2013 NFL season will be at the quarter pole. And, after three weeks of facing mediocre at best competition, the Patriots will deal with back to back road games against Atlanta and Cincinnati, before returning home to face the Saints and Drew Brees...who has seemingly had the Pats' number for years. Yes...the Pats' defense has looked good thus far. But, let's see how they do against much better competition.

Here are my Week 4 picks, with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) (3-0) Seattle Seahawks @ (2-1) Houston Texans (+3): Currently, the Seahawks appear to be the best team in the NFC. They have beaten a rugged Carolina team on the road, crushed what appears to be an overrated 49ers team at home, and blugeoned the hapless Jaguars at home. The Texans were supposed to be a serious AFC contender. But, they were lucky to beat San Diego on the road, retained their horseshoe in edging Tennessee at home in OT, before being pounded by the Ravens in Baltimore. Its put up or shut-up time for the Texans, and their SB starved fan base: PICK: Seahawks;

2.) (1-2) San Francisco 49ers @ (1-2) St. Louis Rams (+3): What has happened to the once feared 49ers? After being pounded by divisional rival Seattle, they were embarrassed at home by the Indianapolis Colts. The Rams looked terrible last week in Dallas, as Cowboys' RB DeMarco Murray gashed them for 175 yards. Look for the 49ers to attempt to ground and pound the Rams with Frank Gore. The Rams outplayed the 49ers last year, beating them in St. Louis, and tying them in San Francisco. The 9ers are without DE/OLB Aldon Smith (in alcohol rehab), and may be without stud ILB, Patrick Willis: PICK: Rams;

3.) (0-3) Pittsburgh Steelers (+1) @ (0-3) Minnesota Vikings (in London): What looked like a good game between two good teams has disintegrated into a yawn. Still, RB Adrian Peterson is always worth watching. The Steelers are completely falling apart: PICK: Vikings;

4.) (2-1) Baltimore Ravens @ (1-2) Buffalo Bills (+3.5): After being humiliated in Denver by the dreaded Horseface, the Ravens have bounced back nicely with impressive defensive efforts against Cleveland and Houston. Though rookie QB E. J. Manuel has shown potential, the rest of his teammates are the same old Bills: PICK: Ravens;

5.) (2-1) Cincinnati Bengals @ (1-2) Cleveland Browns (+5): Though the Bengals fought back and beat the defenseless Green Bay Packers last week, I'm still not sold on their QB, Andy Dalton. Cleveland has a good enough defense to keep them in this game. The question is, whether Cleveland native and ex-Patriot QB Brian Hoyer can string together back to back solid games: PICK: Browns:

6.) (2-1) Indianapolis Colts @ (0-3) Jacksonville Jaguars (+8.5): The Colts shocked the football world by going into San Francisco and physically manhandling the 49ers. The Jaguars are terrible...and appear to have a legitimate chance at an imperfect (0-16) season: PICK: Colts;

7.) (1-2) Arizona Cardinals (+3) @ (0-3) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The Bucs keep shooting themselves in the foot via a combination of poor QB play, dropped passes, and dumb penalties.  Arizona is going nowhere, again: PICK: Buccaneers;  

8.) (3-0) Chicago Bears (+3) @ (2-1) Detroit Lions: This game received some consideration for "Game of the Week" honors. These are two explosive offensive teams colliding, in what should be a track meet: PICK: Bears;

9.) (0-3) N.Y. Giants (+4) @ (3-0) Kansas City Chiefs: The Giants looked beyond awful last week, getting blown out, 38-0, in Carolina. The Chiefs are rolling under Andy Reid, and sport the NFL's sack leader, in OLB Justin Houston. With the problems that the G-men are having protecting Eli Manning, and pressuring the opposing passer, it could be another long afternoon for my poor beleaguered pal, good ol' Jints: PICK: Chiefs;

10.) (2-1) N.Y. Jets (+4.5) @ (2-1) Tennessee Titans: The Jets are playing better than expected. But, so are the Titans. In what should be a low scoring, 3 point game: PICK: Jets;   

11.) (2-1) Dallas Cowboys @ (1-2) San Diego Chargers (+2): This appears to the the Cowboys' year in the NFC East. The Chargers have been in every game, and, with a break or two, could easily be (3-0). Dallas looked impressive last week in dismantling the Rams: PICK: Cowboys;

12.) (0-3) Washington Redskins @ (0-3) Oakland Raiders (+3): How can the Redskins be favored over anyone, especially when playing on the road?: PICK: Raiders;

13.) (1-2) Philadelphia Eagles (+10) @ (3-0) Denver Broncos: The Horseface continues to have his fun in the regular season: PICK: Denver;

14.) (3-0) New England Patriots (+1.5) @ (1-2) Atlanta Falcons: Judging by the spread, not many are impressed with the Patriots and their (3-0) record. In truth, who have they played? The Falcons can ill afford to lose their third game in a row. Both teams have offenses that are running at far less than 100%, due to injuries to some key components: PICK: Patriots;

15.) (3-0) Miami Dolphins (+6) @ (3-0) New Orleans Saints: Another game that drew consideration for "Game of the Week". The 'Fins have beaten Cleveland and Indy on the road, and the Falcons at home. Miami could pose a threat to the Patriots in the AFC East. Other than edging the Falcons at home, the Saints haven't beaten any team of note. It will be interesting to see just how good the Miami Dolphins are, in a real "measuring stick" game for them: PICK: Saints;    

BEST BETS: Seahawks, Colts, Bucs, Chiefs, Cowboys, and Broncos. 

I concerned! I'm confident about too many games! This usually spells disaster for me!

As always, your thoughts and comments are welcome...particularly on the games involving the Pats, and the other AFC East teams.

Goodnight, all!

I have agree only on the Seahaws and the Chiefs.  The Colts is a trap games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to profootball's comment:

[QUOTE]

6.) (2-1) Indianapolis Colts @ (0-3) Jacksonville Jaguars (+8.5): The Colts shocked the football world by going into San Francisco and physically manhandling the 49ers. The Jaguars are terrible...and appear to have a legitimate chance at an imperfect (0-16) season: PICK: Colts;

RESPONSE: Maybe so. But, there's only an 8.5 point spread...and the Jags are worse than awful.

[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

In response to profootball's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

That is the key. just -8.5 while the Colts beat 49ers 27-7.  They supposed to be favor double digits at least.

RESPONSE: Maybe so. But, there's only an 8.5 point spread...and the Jags are worse than awful.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey tex...  Kind of tough sledding picking ats this early in the season , eh?  I have stayed on the sidelines so far.  How's your W-L-T going for the year...?

I have TP at 19-26-3 so far this season, a record he probably isnt especially proud of

But he was 9-6-1 last week picking against the spread (not bad), so like the Patriots young D, TexPat is "ascending"

Go, Tex!

[/QUOTE]

So the first 2 weeks....  10-20-2. Ouch...  hope no real money was lost...  Oh well , soldier on .  I'll be putting my picks up starting this week, so a friendly competition can be had with TP, Paulk, and others who want to keep at it and tabulate the results. 

comments or suggestions?

And tex, you get to start with a clean slate...lol.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

So the first 2 weeks....  10-20-2. Ouch...  hope no real money was lost...  Oh well , soldier on .  I'll be putting my picks up starting this week, so a friendly competition can be had with TP, Paulk, and others who want to keep at it and tabulate the results. 

comments or suggestions?

If you want to pick games successfully, I recommend that you wait until I make my picks...and then select the exact opposite of whom I pick to win. LOL!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

comments or suggestions?

If you want to pick games successfully, I recommend that you wait until I make my picks...and then select the exact opposite of whom I pick to win. LOL!!!

[/QUOTE]

Or flip a coin...  The proverbial "monkey" wins every time... Lol.  But of course, that is no fun when you can attempt the holy grail...  16-0-0 ATS...!

(The odds against that are like 100,000 to 1.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Probably going to regret taking the Rams, plus 3, over the 49ers, in tonights' game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I like to win against Vegas and I don't want to be insufferable about it, but what other option do I have?  The whole class used to hate me in math. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The Atlanta Falcons have outscored their opponents, 91-40 in the first half, and been outscored by 90-34 in the second half. So...if the Pats to get off to a good start, they'll likely win: http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-falcons/2013/sep/25/belichick-says-halftime-adjustments-are-overrated/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's more on the Pats @ Falcons game: http://www.sbnation.com/odds/2013/9/26/4770572/new-england-patriots-vs-atlanta-falcons-betting-odds-preview-trends 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

I like to win against Vegas and I don't want to be insufferable about it, but what other option do I have?  The whole class used to hate me in math. 

Paul, I have been causally following your picks for the past year or 2, and I have to admit that I've been impressed by your overall success. If I bet on sports, which I don't, (I'm a farmer. Believe me, I have enough gambles in my occupation!) I would be tempted to just bet your picks. Keep up the good work!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Probably going to regret taking the Rams, plus 3, over the 49ers, in tonights' game.

Tex...  It's "Thursday football" ...

Aka "halfaszssed NFL"...

Or " A bunch of tired achey unprepared guys running around"...

or.  "the NFL exercising its monopoly over regular fans by starting a failed idea and asking people to foot the bill."...

Or....  FU, it ain't worth watching or caring.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Sam Bradford had you fooled. Personally I don't think he or stafford are that good. I think the most interesting game will be the bengals browns. The browns always play them hard and the bengals need this game to prove something. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Hard to believe, but in a week from now the 2013 NFL season will be at the quarter pole. And, after three weeks of facing mediocre at best competition, the Patriots will deal with back to back road games against Atlanta and Cincinnati, before returning home to face the Saints and Drew Brees...who has seemingly had the Pats' number for years. Yes...the Pats' defense has looked good thus far. But, let's see how they do against much better competition.

Here are my Week 4 picks, with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) (3-0) Seattle Seahawks @ (2-1) Houston Texans (+3): Currently, the Seahawks appear to be the best team in the NFC. They have beaten a rugged Carolina team on the road, crushed what appears to be an overrated 49ers team at home, and blugeoned the hapless Jaguars at home. The Texans were supposed to be a serious AFC contender. But, they were lucky to beat San Diego on the road, retained their horseshoe in edging Tennessee at home in OT, before being pounded by the Ravens in Baltimore. Its put up or shut-up time for the Texans, and their SB starved fan base: PICK: Seahawks;

2.) (1-2) San Francisco 49ers @ (1-2) St. Louis Rams (+3): What has happened to the once feared 49ers? After being pounded by divisional rival Seattle, they were embarrassed at home by the Indianapolis Colts. The Rams looked terrible last week in Dallas, as Cowboys' RB DeMarco Murray gashed them for 175 yards. Look for the 49ers to attempt to ground and pound the Rams with Frank Gore. The Rams outplayed the 49ers last year, beating them in St. Louis, and tying them in San Francisco. The 9ers are without DE/OLB Aldon Smith (in alcohol rehab), and may be without stud ILB, Patrick Willis: PICK: Rams;

3.) (0-3) Pittsburgh Steelers (+1) @ (0-3) Minnesota Vikings (in London): What looked like a good game between two good teams has disintegrated into a yawn. Still, RB Adrian Peterson is always worth watching. The Steelers are completely falling apart: PICK: Vikings;

4.) (2-1) Baltimore Ravens @ (1-2) Buffalo Bills (+3.5): After being humiliated in Denver by the dreaded Horseface, the Ravens have bounced back nicely with impressive defensive efforts against Cleveland and Houston. Though rookie QB E. J. Manuel has shown potential, the rest of his teammates are the same old Bills: PICK: Ravens;

5.) (2-1) Cincinnati Bengals @ (1-2) Cleveland Browns (+5): Though the Bengals fought back and beat the defenseless Green Bay Packers last week, I'm still not sold on their QB, Andy Dalton. Cleveland has a good enough defense to keep them in this game. The question is, whether Cleveland native and ex-Patriot QB Brian Hoyer can string together back to back solid games: PICK: Browns:

7.) (1-2) Arizona Cardinals (+3) @ (0-3) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The Bucs keep shooting themselves in the foot via a combination of poor QB play, dropped passes, and dumb penalties.  Arizona is going nowhere, again: PICK: Buccaneers;  

8.) (3-0) Chicago Bears (+3) @ (2-1) Detroit Lions: This game received some consideration for "Game of the Week" honors. These are two explosive offensive teams colliding, in what should be a track meet: PICK: Bears;

9.) (0-3) N.Y. Giants (+4) @ (3-0) Kansas City Chiefs: The Giants looked beyond awful last week, getting blown out, 38-0, in Carolina. The Chiefs are rolling under Andy Reid, and sport the NFL's sack leader, in OLB Justin Houston. With the problems that the G-men are having protecting Eli Manning, and pressuring the opposing passer, it could be another long afternoon for my poor beleaguered pal, good ol' Jints: PICK: Chiefs;

10.) (2-1) N.Y. Jets (+4.5) @ (2-1) Tennessee Titans: The Jets are playing better than expected. But, so are the Titans. In what should be a low scoring, 3 point game: PICK: Jets;   

11.) (2-1) Dallas Cowboys @ (1-2) San Diego Chargers (+2): This appears to the the Cowboys' year in the NFC East. The Chargers have been in every game, and, with a break or two, could easily be (3-0). Dallas looked impressive last week in dismantling the Rams: PICK: Cowboys;

12.) (0-3) Washington Redskins @ (0-3) Oakland Raiders (+3): How can the Redskins be favored over anyone, especially when playing on the road?: PICK: Raiders;

13.) (1-2) Philadelphia Eagles (+10) @ (3-0) Denver Broncos: The Horseface continues to have his fun in the regular season: PICK: Denver;

14.) (3-0) New England Patriots (+1.5) @ (1-2) Atlanta Falcons: Judging by the spread, not many are impressed with the Patriots and their (3-0) record. In truth, who have they played? The Falcons can ill afford to lose their third game in a row. Both teams have offenses that are running at far less than 100%, due to injuries to some key components: PICK: Patriots;

15.) (3-0) Miami Dolphins (+6) @ (3-0) New Orleans Saints: Another game that drew consideration for "Game of the Week". The 'Fins have beaten Cleveland and Indy on the road, and the Falcons at home. Miami could pose a threat to the Patriots in the AFC East. Other than edging the Falcons at home, the Saints haven't beaten any team of note. It will be interesting to see just how good the Miami Dolphins are, in a real "measuring stick" game for them: PICK: Saints;    

BEST BETS: Seahawks, Colts, Bucs, Chiefs, Cowboys, and Broncos. 

I concerned! I'm confident about too many games! This usually spells disaster for me!

As always, your thoughts and comments are welcome...particularly on the games involving the Pats, and the other AFC East teams.

Goodnight, all!

great job as usual TP

so far my Jints beat Dallas but gave game away, played one good half vs Denver then forgot there was a game last week...KC looking good and Reid knows Jints from yrs in the NFC East

I am 50/50 here....

see what happens when you play in a professional division in a dominant conference

:  )

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

great job as usual TP

so far my Jints beat Dallas but gave game away, played one good half vs Denver then forgot there was a game last week...KC looking good and Reid knows Jints from yrs in the NFC East

I am 50/50 here....

see what happens when you play in a professional division in a dominant conference

:  )

LOL a Jints appearance

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

What a professional division ?  Ha ha. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?