Week Five NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Week Five NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week"

Nice win over the Ravens by the Pats, who are seemingly improving every week. But, no rest for the weary, as the Pats now go on the road to face the tough Denver Broncos, in Denver. This marks the 5th time in a row that the Patriots have played a previously unbeaten team...and they'll need to be at their best in order to win the "Game of the Week":

1.) New England Patriots @ Denver Broncos (+3.5): Glad to see Josh McDaniels sticking it to the media thus far, as his Cutlerless Broncos are 4-0. McDaniels has his boys playing tough run defense...while getting some pressure in passing downs from the likes of OLB/DE Elvis Dumervil, a poor man's Dwight Freeney. The Denver offense plays a controlled, close to the vest offense...that emphasizes no turnovers. WR Brandon Marshall beat Dallas last week with an electrifying catch and run...and must be contained. I expect the Patriots to try to maintain some semblance of a running game...but to spread the field more on the Broncos. Look for Wes Welker to play a key role. This will be a tough test on the road for the improving Pats, who never seem to play well in Denver. Success in the redzone will be key:
    PICK: Patriots;

2.) Minnesota Vikings @ St. Louis Rams (+10): Brett Farve was amazing in the Vikes Monday night win in Minny. Minnesota has far too many weapons for the hapless Rams:
    PICK: Vikings;

3.) Dallas Cowboys @ Kansas City Chiefs (+9): I don't like how the Cowboys are playing. Matt Cassel and the Chiefs don't turn the ball over, they have a chance to win this game outright:
    PICK: Chiefs;

4.) Washington Redskins (+3.5) @ Carolina Panthers: The Redskins are a reflection of the economy. This could be the game that gets coach Jim Zorn fired. His Redskins had to scramble at home last week to eek out a come from behind three point win against lowly Tampa, in Washington.
    PICK: Panthers;

5.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+13.5) @ Philadelphia Eagles: The Bucs will battle the Rams for the #1 overall pick in the upcoming draft. The Eagles are coming off a bye week...and both Donavan McNabb and Brian Westbrook may be ready to play:
    PICK: Eagles;

6.) Oakland Raiders (+16) @ NY Giants: Eli Manning may not play, due to a heel injury. The G-men will win, even if David Carr drives the offense. Ordinarily, I'd say that 16 points is too much to pass by. But, the Raiders are a mess, and their head coach may be arrested any day for punching one of his assistants in the preseason, and breaking his jaw. The Raiders are a mess:
    PICK: Giants;

7.) Cleveland (+6) @ Buffalo: The Browns put forth a spirited effort in losing to Cincinnati in OT last week. The Bills are coming off a demolition in Miami. They have never recovered from blowing that 25-24 game in Foxboro:
    PICK: Browns;

8.) Cinncinati Bengals (+8.5) @ Baltimore Ravens: We'll find out this Sunday whether the 3-1 Bengals are contenders or pretenders. The Ravens are still crying in their purple koolaid over losing to the Patriots. Look for them to bounce back strong this week:
    PICK: Ravens;

9.) Pittsburgh Steelers @ Detroit Lions (+10.5): The Steelers took out their frustrations on the Chargers last week. They'll continue to roll against the Dandelions:
    PICK: Steelers;

10.) Atlanta Falcons (+2.5) @ San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers are for real. What a fine job Mike Singletary is doing with his club. 
    PICK: 49ers;

11.) Houston Texans (+5.5) @ Arizona Cardinals: You never know what to expect from the Jeckyl and Hyde Texans. Pressing the immobile Kurt Warner is the key to beating the Cards:
    PICK: Texans;

12.) Jacksonville Jaguars @ Seattle Seahawks (+3): The Jags are on a roll with two straight impressive wins over divisional rivals Houston and Tennessee. Unfortunately, they should make it three straight over the QB challenged 'Hawks. GO SEAHAWKS!!
    PICK: Jaguars;

13.) Indianapolis Colts @ Tennessee Titans (+3.5): Are the people in Vegas watching the Colts? This is like stealing.
    PICK: Colts;

14.) NY Jets @ Miami Dolphins (+1.5): If the Dolphins are to be relevant at all this season, they must win this game. QB Mark Sanchez played like a rookie QB last week in New Orleans. But, the 'Fins are starting the inexperienced Chad Henne. Look for the Jets to win a relatively low scoring game:
    PICK: Jets;

Best Bets: Colts (again), Vikings, and Eagles.

Thoughts...particularly on the Pats/Denver game? Who wins and why?        

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Re: Week Five NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week"

I think Indy @ Tennessee should be higher than #13 on your list there.  I know Tennessee's 0-4, but they're desperate, they're still a talented team, and it's a rivalry game.

I also think the Jets and Dolphins deserve to be higher on the list.  AFC East games are always contentious and if Joey Porter's hamstring is better, maybe we'll get a double billing when he tries to fight Rex Ryan.

I'm interested to see how the Falcons do against the 49ers.  The 49ers play like the Patriots used to - tough defense, just-enough offense, don't hurt themselves.  The Falcons are loaded on offense, but suspect to the run.  Patrick Willis versus Michael Turner promises to feature some big hits.

Until proven otherwise, I think the Bengals deserve a little more respect.  It's a battle of two 3-1 teams, and certainly more entertaining than watching any game featuring the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

I like all of your picks as winners (not against the spread), except the Browns, who I think are just terrible - at least the Bills have some talent.  I also think that the Bengals have the offense to beat a worse-than-expected Ravens' pass defense, although I think the Ravens' offense will be the deciding factor here.  It should be another physical game, though, and I think it'll be closer than most people think.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

To win in Denver you need to have mistake free football.  The Cowboys imploded Sunday.  They had their opportunities to put it away but couldn't because of penalties and the passing game.  Romo wanting to throw Baileys way with the game on the line doen't make any sense.

With Orton at QB the DBs will have a chance at some interceptions.  He always seems to throw several wild passes a game.  He's been getting away with it so far.  I expect the defensive strategy to be much like it was against Baltimore. 

Denver's defense is flawed.  I hope to see the running game but I won't hold my breath.  The short passing game will be there.  I would expect Welker and the TEs to have a good game. 

And of course I would like to see Tom turn another page on his road back to his great self.  Could this be where we see the phasing out of Galloway and Maroney?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

agree with picks outright, no spread.

as for denver, as you said tex, we never play well there, so you know the game will be close.  a much anticipated coaching duel of master and apprentice. i really can't call this one.  i believe however that the pats will shut down that offense for the most part and make just enough plays having the ball to win, barring a rash of turnovers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I was heading home from the Razor so I didn't catch the Cowboy game to see how healthy their running attack was. I know Jones was out and Barber hurt so I can't tell if holding them to under 100 was the Bronco D or were they just beat up?
    Looks like Denver loves to get a lot of people involved (no surprise there) to keep teams off balance but I agree with Tex. The Pats are a team getting better and better each week and the perfect comparison test of this will be 11/22. The Cowboys went up and couldn't seal this one and the Pats are playing better than they are so I'll go with the Pats. 

Farve was unbelievable. It looked like that performance after his dad died. He had a lot on that game but even with a let down game he wins by 10.

I don't like Romo and the run game is a little beat up. Even still they almost won out at Mile High and they'll be upset in practice this week. Look for a bounce back week for them to beat the spread. 

I'm going Panthers all the way. Both teams are in trouble but I'm not sure they're on board with Zorn anymore over there.

Wow, Tampa got a bad break on the schedule. Rested and healthy this is a dangerous team. Eagles crush them at home.

The Giants could almost win this game with their D and a kicker but 16 is a lot of points without Eli. I have to take the points.

Browns, I have a feeling TO may be working his magic behind the scenes and were all going to hear about it soon. He's a cancer on any team and getting smoked like that last week must really have him talking.

Like I've said all week the ravens are a good team, just not as good as the Pats. Palmer and the O line would have to have a huge game to win because the Ravens are going to have the ears pinned back coming in for him. I'll take the Ravens, the D is going to be all over Palmer.

Looks like the Steelers have some things worked out and this should be a bye week for them. 

This will be a great game if they both show up. I have to take the 49ers D at home even though the Falcons are coming off the bye.

I like the Cards at home. The Texans are hot and cold and I think Warner will take this game from the first possession.

I'm going with the Hawks. They haven't done much without Hasselback but the Jags wins are against the hot and cold Texans and the I'm not sure what's going on with the Titans. Quest is a tough, loud place and I think they can pull this one off. 

I agree, this should be the easiest pick on the week. If the Titans cover there should be an investigation into the NFL/gambling.

As much as it pains me you have to take the Jets. Henne and the wildcat won't be enough when this one's over. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

I haven't seen Devner play yet this year. Josh McDaniels may turn out to be the real deal (he's done well thus far for sure), but the reason the Pats have struggled in Denver IMO was that Shanahan was a hell of a coach - its still amazing to me that he got fired. That team was a running back factory under him, and I think he was the only coach in the NFL that matched up head to head against BB in terms of scheming, preparation, adjustments and getting the most out of his personnel.

So on that basis, I think the Pats win this game. Can't comment on the spread...

One other thought; if Buffalo loses to the Browns, their fans will rise up against Dick Jauron like the villagers did against Frankenstein's monster.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

Maybe I'm totally off on this, but I don't think Sunday is going to be as hard of a game as everyone's making it out to be.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

1.  If Eli doesn't play give me the Raiders and the points.
    2.  I'll take the bengals and the points

I like everyone of your other picks, but I don't subscribe to the lock you have re: indy.  Tennessee is a MUCH better team than their record.  They could easily be 3-1 and not 0-4.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I know what you mean about the Titans UD. I've been with them every week saying this is when they turn it around and I'm getting burned every week. Now they have a corner out (Finneran or Finnegan) against PM who's plating well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I have to agree with BBdesciple, it was Shanahan who gave the Patriots fits in Denver. But BB is sure to know more about Josh than Josh does himself! The defense needs to make Orton nervous, and the offense needs to get TDs instead of FGs. I think both teams will be 4-1 at the end of the game.

As for the Colts/Titans, that's a tough one. While Indy is playing at the top of their game, the Titans are desperate. These two teams always play it close, too. I think their heads got a little too big in Nashville after winning 13 games last year. They need to settle down and get back to fundamentals. Even with Haynesworth gone they are a very talented defense. Finnegan is out, so that hurts. But I think the point spread is pretty spot on. Most games between these two teams are won in the 4th quarter...quite frequently with a FG.

The Falcons/49ers game is one I want to watch. Atlanta will be wanting to bounce back after their loss to NE. The 49ers seem to be the real deal, despite not having an "elite" QB. I suppose Singletary told them he'd kick every players a s s if they didn't start winning! But for a desperation throw and a tremendous catch in the Vikings game these guys would be 4-0 right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyBradyFan. Show LadyBradyFan's posts

Go Patriots. Bring homw a win!Innocent

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Week Five NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week":
    [QUOTE]I have to agree with BBdesciple, it was Shanahan who gave the Patriots fits in Denver. But BB is sure to know more about Josh than Josh does himself! The defense needs to make Orton nervous, and the offense needs to get TDs instead of FGs. I think both teams will be 4-1 at the end of the game.

RESPONSE: The Pats will have to win by more than a FG to cover. Though I'm expecting a tough game, I see the Pats covering.

As for the Colts/Titans, that's a tough one. While Indy is playing at the top of their game, the Titans are desperate. These two teams always play it close, too. I think their heads got a little too big in Nashville after winning 13 games last year. They need to settle down and get back to fundamentals. Even with Haynesworth gone they are a very talented defense. Finnegan is out, so that hurts. But I think the point spread is pretty spot on. Most games between these two teams are won in the 4th quarter...quite frequently with a FG.

RESPONSE: I've been waiting for the Titans to put forth a great effort out of desparation for the past 2 weeks.  As a wise man once said, you are what you are...and it is what it is. The Titans are 0-4...and are 0-4 for a reason. Meanwhile, the Colts look great, and should win big. 

The Falcons/49ers game is one I want to watch. Atlanta will be wanting to bounce back after their loss to NE. The 49ers seem to be the real deal, despite not having an "elite" QB. I suppose Singletary told them he'd kick every players a s s if they didn't start winning! But for a desperation throw and a tremendous catch in the Vikings game these guys would be 4-0 right now.

RESPONSE: Exactly! The 49ers are for real. MLB Patrick Willis is a young Ray Lewis.

Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

TP - it is exactly the reasoning you give re: titans colts that the colts DO NOT need to see or hear.  Particularly with the Titans as the opponent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Isn't Denver one of those places the Pats have the most trouble?  But, then again, Shannahan is not coaching now.  Should be a good game and I don't think the media is holding the Broncos in as high esteem as they did the Ravens.  Also, Denver is going to be LOUD!!  The real good is the O and the defense have improved every week and we'll almost be at full strength!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Isn't Denver one of those places the Pats have the most trouble?  But, then again, Shannahan is not coaching now.  Should be a good game and I don't think the media is holding the Broncos in as high esteem as they did the Ravens.  Also, Denver is going to be LOUD!!  The real good is the O and the defense have improved every week and we'll almost be at full strength!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Winning in Denver is as big a challenge as beating the Ravens was last week.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I know what you mean about the Titans UD. I've been with them every week saying this is when they turn it around and I'm getting burned every week. Now they have a corner out (Finneran or Finnegan) against PM who's plating well.
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

The Titans are in huge trouble, Sam. Keep in mind that the Patriots own their 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft. Lets' hope the Tennessee Tuxedos keep losing!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I was heading home from the Razor so I didn't catch the Cowboy game to see how healthy their running attack was. I know Jones was out and Barber hurt so I can't tell if holding them to under 100 was the Bronco D or were they just beat up?

RESPONSE: Barber ran hard...Choice was shut down. Denver has the #1 run defense in the NFL. Romo was awful. The Dallas offense, without Jones, lacks playmakers, and a homerun threat. Roy Williams is not a #1 WR.   

Looks like Denver loves to get a lot of people involved (no surprise there) to keep teams off balance but I agree with Tex. The Pats are a team getting better and better each week and the perfect comparison test of this will be 11/22. The Cowboys went up and couldn't seal this one and the Pats are playing better than they are so I'll go with the Pats.

RESPONSE: Agreed...but the Patriots cannot commit turnovers. This will be a tough test in Denver. 

Farve was unbelievable. It looked like that performance after his dad died. He had a lot on that game but even with a let down game he wins by 10.

AGREED: Had I done a report card on the Vikings, Favre would have gotten an "A". But, credit must also be given to his OL, which gave him all day to throw.

I don't like Romo and the run game is a little beat up. Even still they almost won out at Mile High and they'll be upset in practice this week. Look for a bounce back week for them to beat the spread. 

RESPONSE: I just don't like the way the Cowboys are playing. The team lacks leadership. They're going nowhere as long as GM Jerry Jones insists on running the team.

I'm going Panthers all the way. Both teams are in trouble but I'm not sure they're on board with Zorn anymore over there.

RESPONSE: The 'Skins were lucky to barely get by lowly Tampa last week in Washington.

Wow, Tampa got a bad break on the schedule. Rested and healthy this is a dangerous team. Eagles crush them at home.

RESPONSE: Agreed. Its' going to be ugly.

The Giants could almost win this game with their D and a kicker but 16 is a lot of points without Eli. I have to take the points.

RESPONSE: Word is that Eli will start. Not a good thing for Uncle Al and his Darth Vaders. 

Browns, I have a feeling TO may be working his magic behind the scenes and were all going to hear about it soon. He's a cancer on any team and getting smoked like that last week must really have him talking.

RESPONSE: I don't think TO has anything to do with the demise of the Bills. Inconsistent QB play, a very mediocre OL, and pedestrian head coach are their problems. Dick Jauron accepts losing too well.  

Like I've said all week the ravens are a good team, just not as good as the Pats. Palmer and the O line would have to have a huge game to win because the Ravens are going to have the ears pinned back coming in for him. I'll take the Ravens, the D is going to be all over Palmer.

RESPONSE: Who has the "feared" Ravens' defense stopped this year? Other than the woeful Browns...no one. Even the KC Chiefs hung up a bunch of points on them. The Ravens are a much more balanced team than in years past. If the Bengals don't go into Baltimore intimidated, they can give the Ravens a game.

Looks like the Steelers have some things worked out and this should be a bye week for them.  This will be a great game if they both show up.

RESPONSE: Ben Roethlisberger could beat the Lions with Shawn Michaels and Triple H as his WRs.

I have to take the 49ers D at home even though the Falcons are coming off the bye.

RESPONSE: Agreed. The 49ers are playing inspired football. Mike Singletary will be a candidate for Coach of the Year.

I like the Cards at home. The Texans are hot and cold and I think Warner will take this game from the first possession.

RESPONSE: The Texans can score. If they can pressure the clay-footed Warner, they'll win. 

I'm going with the Hawks. They haven't done much without Hasselback but the Jags wins are against the hot and cold Texans and the I'm not sure what's going on with the Titans. Quest is a tough, loud place and I think they can pull this one off.

RESPONSE: Unfortunately, Jack DelRio is turning the Jags around. Lets' hope that they keep losing, as the Patriots own their 2010 second round pick.

I agree, this should be the easiest pick on the week. If the Titans cover there should be an investigation into the NFL/gambling.

RESPONSE: Taking the Colts is like stealing in this one. Indy's offense currently is the best in the AFC. I've never seen Peyton Manning play better than he is now. 

As much as it pains me you have to take the Jets. Henne and the wildcat won't be enough when this one's over. 

RESPONSE: The Jets had their "SB win" in week two. Thats' the only SB they will play. The Patriots will manhandle them when they meet in Foxboro. If Mark Sanchez plays as poorly as he did in New Orleans, the Dolphins will win. 

Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

1.) New England Patriots @ Denver Broncos (+3.5): The Donks are going to get this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_RKPGS2vwM
    upon further review- Cincy miracle, OAK, CLE, & a classic Tony Oh-no performance, the broncos are ripe for the pickin'. The grizzled vet will play mind tricks on Josh. Denver still has not played anybody. They will this week in a loss. I watched DAL/DEN start to finish. Romo was horrible. The only thing worse than his throws were his reads, pitiful. We'll let Denver get all puffed up as they prepare for 3 straight losses. NE, @SD, @BAL. Very simple for the Pats, stop the run and force Orton to beat you. I dont think he can or will.   
    PICK: Patriots;

2.) Minnesota Vikings @ St. Louis Rams (+10):  The Rams are going lose big again. I would think. PICK: Vikings;

3.) Dallas Cowboys @ Kansas City Chiefs (+9): I don't like how the Cowboys are playing. Nor do I. Tony Oh-no is not a good barometer for success. I really think Romo & Phillips will be canned after this season PICK: Chiefs;

4.) Washington Redskins (+3.5) @ Carolina Panthers: Both coaches will fired at years end. Cowher to CAR, some other pigeon in WAS. PICK: Panthers;

5.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+13.5) @ Philadelphia Eagles: # is to big for me PICK: Bucs;

6.) Oakland Raiders (+16) @ NY Giants: 40-13  PICK: Giants;

7.) Cleveland (+6) @ Buffalo: @BUFFALO tells you everthing you need to know PICK: Bills;

8.) Cinncinati Bengals (+8.5) @ Baltimore Ravens: too many points from my perspective PICK: Bengals cover while losing;

9.) Pittsburgh Steelers @ Detroit Lions (+10.5): I see a possible shutout comin' PICK: Steelers;

10.) Atlanta Falcons (+2.5) @ San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers are for real. What a fine job Mike Singletary is doing with his club.  PICK: 49ers;

11.) Houston Texans (+5.5) @ Arizona Cardinals: Texans do not have a defense to match up [thin at DB] with the Cards  PICK: Cards;

12.) Jacksonville Jaguars @ Seattle Seahawks...+3: Jags across country pick SEAHAWKS!! PICK:Hawks

13.) Indianapolis Colts @ Tennessee Titans (+3.5): until Peyton hits the post season - look out PICK: Colts;

14.) NY Jets @ Miami Dolphins (+1.5): I like Miami in a upset. chew the clock PICK: fish ;     

BEST  BET: Patriots

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

"1.) New England Patriots @ Denver Broncos (+3.5): The Donks are going to get this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_RKPGS2vwM
    upon further review- Cincy miracle, OAK, CLE, & a classic Tony Oh-no performance, the broncos are ripe for the pickin'. The grizzled vet will play mind tricks on Josh. Denver still has not played anybody. They will this week in a loss. I watched DAL/DEN start to finish. Romo was horrible. The only thing worse than his throws were his reads, pitiful. We'll let Denver get all puffed up as they prepare for 3 straight losses. NE, @SD, @BAL. Very simple for the Pats, stop the run and force Orton to beat you. I dont think he can or will." 
     --- JBolted

The season puts unlikely allies in the same corner against common foes, like all of the Steelers fans thanking the Patriots for beating the Ravens to bring them to within a game of the division lead.  If Cincinatti manages to beat the Ravens, I think the Steelers tie for the division lead by Week 6 - I don't see the Bengals following up a game against the Ravens with another win.  If the Ravens win, it could be interesting.  As for the Chargers, someone needs to tell Phillip Rivers it's a 28 week season and the first game he plays is week 8 or 9 already.  They have no sense of urgency.  If only they played the way they did in the final 16-17 minutes of the Pittsburgh game, they'd have destroyed the Steelers, who are a completely different team without Polamalu.  If they'd have played the whole season last year the way they did the final 8 weeks, they'd have gone 12-4 or better... mind-boggling.  I think Norv Turner is squandering a lot of talent there and I can't help but wonder what Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan, or Jon Gruden could do with that talent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Week Five NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week": The season puts unlikely allies in the same corner against common foes, like all of the Steelers fans thanking the Patriots for beating the Ravens to bring them to within a game of the division lead. 

RESPONSE: If you think thats' strange, how about rooting for the hated Indianapolis Colts to win their division...because the Patriots own the second round draft choices of the Tennessee Titans and the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2010? The Colts winning the AFC South would ensure that those aforementioned second round draft choices will be higher selections for the Pats.

If Cinncinati manages to beat the Ravens, I think the Steelers tie for the division lead by Week 6 - I don't see the Bengals following up a game against the Ravens with another win.  If the Ravens win, it could be interesting. 

RESPONSE: The Bengals are an improved team. But, I don't see them going into Baltimore and beating the Ravens.

As for the Chargers, someone needs to tell Phillip Rivers it's a 28 week season and the first game he plays is week 8 or 9 already.  They have no sense of urgency. If only they played the way they did in the final 16-17 minutes of the Pittsburgh game, they'd have destroyed the Steelers, who are a completely different team without Polamalu.  If they'd have played the whole season last year the way they did the final 8 weeks, they'd have gone 12-4 or better... mind-boggling.  I think Norv Turner is squandering a lot of talent there and I can't help but wonder what Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan, or Jon Gruden could do with that talent.

RESPONSE: Norv Turner is not head coaching material. Though he must be credited for helping to develop Philip Rivers into a very good NFL QB...Norv doesn't inspire confidence, and is incapable of demanding and extracting excellence from his players. The Chargers are clearly underachieving. What could a BB, or a Bill Parcells accomplish with the talent Norv has had? Would they put up with the whining antics of a washed up LT...or the brash, primadonna-like attitude of a Shawne Merriman? Once a physical team whose calling card was a tough swarming, blitzing defense, and an old school type running game ...the Chargers have morphed into a finesse group on both sides of the ball,  that lives and dies by the forward pass.   

Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Week Five NFL Picks, and

I'm concerned about this game with the Broncos...more so than I was with the Ravens. For whatever reason, the Pats have never played well in Denver.

The Broncos' "D" has surrendered less than 7 points per game in 4 games. They have surrendered an average of just 77 rushing yards per game. Two of the four teams they have beaten are decent teams, in Cincinnati and Dallas. Elvis Dumervill has developed into a top notch sack artist. Matt Light will once again have his hands full this week.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Broncos' injury report, as quoted from the Denver Post:

"Broncos wide receiver Brandon Stokley (thigh) will be monitored through the week. He missed some practice time last week and played sparingly early in the victory over the Cowboys. Russ Hochstein may show up on the team's injury report today. The guard was undergoing X-rays after Sunday's game for an unspecified injury. . . . Running back Correll Buckhalter has a sprained left ankle and may not play against the Patriots. . . . Guard Ben Hamilton (hamstring) and cornerback Alphonso Smith (ankle) did not play against Dallas".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

The Buckhalter injury is big. He's been averaging 7.2/carry this year and he's backed up by a rookie Moreno and our old friend LaMont Jordan. If he sits it puts a lot more pressure on Orton and the passing game (which is very much like the pats go figure).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week Five NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week" : The season puts unlikely allies in the same corner against common foes, like all of the Steelers fans thanking the Patriots for beating the Ravens to bring them to within a game of the division lead.  RESPONSE: If you think thats' strange, how about rooting for the hated Indianapolis Colts to win their division...because the Patriots own the second round draft choices of the Tennessee Titans and the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2010? The Colts winning the AFC South would ensure that those aforementioned second round draft choices will be higher selections for the Pats. If Cinncinati manages to beat the Ravens, I think the Steelers tie for the division lead by Week 6 - I don't see the Bengals following up a game against the Ravens with another win.  If the Ravens win, it could be interesting.  RESPONSE: The Bengals are an improved team. But, I don't see them going into Baltimore and beating the Ravens. As for the Chargers, someone needs to tell Phillip Rivers it's a 28 week season and the first game he plays is week 8 or 9 already.  They have no sense of urgency. If only they played the way they did in the final 16-17 minutes of the Pittsburgh game, they'd have destroyed the Steelers, who are a completely different team without Polamalu.  If they'd have played the whole season last year the way they did the final 8 weeks, they'd have gone 12-4 or better... mind-boggling.  I think Norv Turner is squandering a lot of talent there and I can't help but wonder what Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan, or Jon Gruden could do with that talent. RESPONSE: Norv Turner is not head coaching material. Though he must be credited for helping to develop Philip Rivers into a very good NFL QB...Norv doesn't inspire confidence, and is incapable of demanding and extracting excellence from his players. The Chargers are clearly underachieving. What could a BB, or a Bill Parcells accomplish with the talent Norv has had? Would they put up with the whining antics of a washed up LT...or the brash, primadonna-like attitude of a Shawne Merriman? Once a physical team whose calling card was a tough swarming, blitzing defense, and an old school type running game ...the Chargers have morphed into a finesse group on both sides of the ball,  that lives and dies by the forward pass.    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I do agree with you in regards to Norv. He has found his Chargers in the post season each year at the helm though. Concerning Norv by game, my issues -
    @OAK- though a W, not a strong effort out of the gate.
    BAL- at the 5 of BAL with 10 seconds left on the clock before the half on 3rd down kicks a FG, instead going for a TD with perhaps a high pass to Gates or Jackson in the back of the endzone then try a kick if it doesnt work. SD losing by 5 . the difference.
     also at the end of the game, 4th & 2, draw play, stuffed by Lewis, game over. You've got your newly signed 90 million dollar QB with the game on the line in his 1st home game since signing his new contract and you take the ball out his hands after he torched the ravens all day for 436 yards? Dah, put the ball in his hands with those circumstances.        
    MIA- give him  a pass, well coached game except for just 3 points by halftime.
    @PIT- slow start cost us the game.
    honest assessment
    regards  
    I will stick by Norv as long as he is here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week Five NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week" : Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE] I do agree with you in regards to Norv. He has found his Chargers in the post season each year at the helm though. Concerning Norv by game, my issues - @OAK- though a W, not a strong effort out of the gate.

RESPONSE: Lots of teams start slow...inccluding the Pats, who were lucky to beat the Bills in game one.

BAL- at the 5 of BAL with 10 seconds left on the clock before the half on 3rd down kicks a FG, instead going for a TD with perhaps a high pass to Gates or Jackson in the back of the endzone then try a kick if it doesnt work. SD losing by 5 . the difference.  also at the end of the game, 4th & 2, draw play, stuffed by Lewis, game over. You've got your newly signed 90 million dollar QB with the game on the line in his 1st home game since signing his new contract and you take the ball out his hands after he torched the ravens all day for 436 yards? Dah, put the ball in his hands with those circumstances. 

RESPONSE: Agreed. I too thought that the Chargers should have gone for the TD in that situation. The Chargers tried to get "cute" with that draw player call to Sproles. A better call might have been to find Antonio Gates or one of their tall WRs in the endzone.  The Pats have run similar plays in that situation using Kevin Faulk.

MIA- give him  a pass, well coached game except for just 3 points by halftime.

RESPONSE: The Bolts beat a decent Miami team.

@PIT- slow start cost us the game. honest assessment regards   I will stick by Norv as long as he is here.

RESPONSE: I don't understand the slow start. Norv's biggest problems seem to be his defense being able to stop the run (minus Jamaal Williams), and his offense not being able to run the ball. Darren Sproles is a wonderful weapon, when used like the Patriots use Kevin Faulk...or like the Jets use Leon Washington.  

Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

The biggest problem seems to be Norv's lack of leadership skills. He should be demanding much, much more from his players...and, if they don't meet his demands, heads should roll. But, he's simply not that kind of guy.