WEEK TWO NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

WEEK TWO NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

Rough first week of picks for me. If I were a CB, I would have been the 2005 version of Duane "The Human Torch" Starks. But, they say CBs need to have a short memory...so here we go with my Week Two picks, with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) (1-0) Chicago Bears (+5.5) @ (0-1) Green Bay Packers: A huge game for both teams. With a win, the Bears can jump out into a commanding position over their main competition, the Packers. If Green Bay were to lose, they would be 0-2 at home, and 0-2 in the NFC. So, as big a game as it is for the Bears, the Packers need a win much, much more:
    PICK: Packers;

2.) (1-0) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+7.5) @ (0-1) NY Giants: The Giants are in the same position as the Packers...and need this game badly. The Bucs under new coach Greg Schiano have an opportunity to make a statement with a win over the Champs:
    PICK: Giants;

3.) (1-0) Arizona Cardinals (+13.5) @ (1-0) New England Patriots: Cards WRs present potential problems, especially Larry Fitzgerald. Kevin Kolb gets the call for Arizona . But, before we Patriot fans lick our chops, remember what back-up QBs like Matt Flynn, A.J. Feeley, and Matt Moore have done against the Pats in the recent past. Still, unless there's a total collapse, you've got to like the Pats' chances. The Cards' tall WRs will be a huge challenge for the Pats' young secondary. It will be interesting to see what scheme BB devises to attempt to take Larry Fitzgerald out of the game:
    PICK: Patriots;

4.) (1-0) Minnesota Vikings @ (0-1) Indianapolis Colts (+1.5): The Vikings lucked out a win last week against the Jags. But, Dwight Freeney is out for Indy. As good as Andrew Luck is, he needs weapons. Key match-up is Vikings' DE Jared Allen vs. second year LT, Anthony Castonzo:
    PICK: Colts;

5.) (0-1) New Orleans Saints @ (0-1) Carolina Panthers (+2.5): Both teams are in bad shape with a loss. But, with this small point spread...:
    PICK: Saints;

6.) (0-1) Kansas City Chiefs (+3) @ (0-1) Buffalo Bills:  The Bills have looked awful throughout the pre-season, and, especially, last week against the Jets. They will be without their best offensive player, RB Fred Jackson. The Chiefs looked decent in the pre-season, but couldn't stop Matty Ice and his merry band of receivers last week:
    PICK: Chiefs;

7.) (1-0) Baltimore Ravens (+2.5) @ (1-0) Philadelphia Eagles: Did I read this right? The Eagles are favored?? Thank you, Vegas!:
    PICK: Ravens;

8.) (0-1) Oakland Raiders @ (0-1) Miami Dolphins (+2.5): The 'Fins are primed to make a serious run at the #1 overall pick in the 2013 draft:
    PICK: Raiders;

9.) (0-1) Cleveland Browns (+7) @ (0-1) Cincinnati Bengals: Both teams played poorly in Week One. Of course, playing poorly is nothing new for the Browns...but much more is expected from the Bengals:
    PICK: Bengals;

10.) (1-0) Houston Texans @ (0-1) Jacksonville Jaguars (+7):  Last week, the Jags played pretty well, and should have won their game at Minnesota. But, these aren't the Vikings that their facing this week. Houston DE J.J. Watt is a young Richard Seymour, only better:
    PICK: Texans;

11.) (1-0) Dallas Cowboys @ (0-1) Seattle Seahawks (+3):

world. This is a true test for them to see if they can maintain the same intensity that they showed against the Giants, and beat this mediocre at best Seattle bunch, led by runt QB, Russell Wilson:
    PICK: Cowboys;

12.) (1-0) Washington Redskins @ (0-1) St. Louis Rams (+3): Is RG III the franchise QB that Danny Synder has always wished for? Yessir:
    PICK: Redskins;

13.) (1-0) NY Jets (+5.5) @ (0-1) Pittsburgh Steelers: This game almost beat out the Bears/Packers tilt for the "Game of the Week" honors. The Steelers looked both beat up and old last week in Denver...while the Jets rolled over the Bills. The point spread of 5.5 seems a tad high:
    PICK: Jets;

14.) (0-1) Tennessee Titans (+6) @ (1-0) San Diego Chargers: The Titans showed a zero running game last week. One has to wonder what's going on with RB Chris Johnson? Tennessee QB Jake Locker will play, but will play in pain after hurting his left shoulder last week. The Chargers weren't all that impressive in eeking out a win over the Raiders last week, in Oakland:
    PICK: Chargers;

15.) (1-0) Detroit Lions (+6.5) @ (1-0) San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers were very impressive in manhandling the Packers in Green Bay last week. The Lions struggled to escape the Rams in Detroit:
    PICK: 49ers;

16.) (1-0) Denver Broncos (+3) @ (1-0) Atlanta Falcons: Another game that drew strong consideration for "Game of the Week". But, I don't want to give ol' Horseface too much credit for picking apart a beaten up, old, Steelers' defense. In what should be a very high scoring, entertaining game:
    PICK: Broncos.   

As always, your comments are welcome. I'm especially interested in how you view the Pats' game, the Jets game, and the Broncos' game.

BEST BETS: Saints, Ravens, Chiefs, Raiders, Redskins.  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: WEEK TWO NFL PICKS and

well done as usual TP...GOTW just might be Ravens-Eagles, that (supposedly anyway) high-flying O vs a rough and tough D, but can't go wrong with a rivalry that has been on since the beginning of time with GB-CHI...

Gmen should take care of business and need this one as one of the few "gimme's" on the schedule, tho TB is looking improved and young and energetic

don't be too concerned about Kolb, believe me

RESPONSE: The Eagles appear to be overrated. The problem on that team is that their vastly overrated QB, Michael Vick, isn't nearly as good as the media makes him out to be. Philly might be better off in the long run handing the reigns to rookie QB Nick Foles, who outplayed Vick in the pre-season. Another concern for Philly has to be the play of their #1 draft choice, Fletcher Cox...who, surprisingly, has yet to impress.
         Philly has a good stable of RBs and should run the ball more. This would take some of the heat off Vic, and make him effective with play-action passes. If teams are forced to move their safeties closer to the line of scrimmage, to defend the run...this is turn would help to free up WR DeSean Jackson on deep routes.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The Cards must deal with the Pats' dynamic duo of TEs: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/20120912arizona-cardinals-face-new-england-patriots-team-ahead-tight-ends-trend.html;

Here's another article which gives you an idea of the challenges which the Cardinals present to the Patriots. Arizona has some very talented players, such as tall WRs Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd, CB/PR Patrick Peterson, and DE Calais Campbell: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4729677/fitzgerald-belichick-trade-praise, and http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4729661/three-point-stance-arizona-cardinals

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Tex, I thought you weren't going to make it this week.  

My first week's game of the week, Cleveland plus points over Philadelphia, was a completely easy call.  I had Cleveland by 6 and I almost got that too.  For week 2, San Francisco clobbers Detroit big.  My other picks are on the other "WEEK TWO NFL PICKS" thread, an identical thread title posted minutes before yours came up.

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/week-two-nfl-picks-and-game-of-tthe-week/100/6371359

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

New England to win and cover a 13.5 point spread, I have 18.2 points myself, but I shy away from big point spreads especially with the Patriots, who play prevent and lose points late in the fourth quarter. 

Pittsburgh to win but not to cover vs. the Jets.  I have Pittsburgh by only 2.5 points.  On the other hand, the Jets do well with their new Tebow gimmicks but those are going to fade in usefulness as the year goes on.  In fact, Tebow was only getting 2.2 yards per carry last week.  He threw zero passes and he caught zero passes.  Also, no guarantee that Planet Revis will get his brain working for the game.  My stats don't reflect fourth quarter injuries at all.

The Atlanta/Denver game is shaky, poor statistics, but I'll pencil in Atlanta by 9.9 points.  Denver is probably improving each week but Atlanta is good!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

That Ravens-Iggles spread certainly does make you wonder what Vegas knows that we don't, and why picking winners almost always turns out to be much harder than it looks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

New England to win and cover a 13.5 point spread, I have 18.2 points myself, but I shy away from big point spreads especially with the Patriots, who play prevent and lose points late in the fourth quarter.

RESPONSE: I'm with you on that, Paul. That's a mighty big spread...and Arizona has some talent. Ever since Kurt Warner retired, the issue with the Cards has always been their QB play. The way Peyton Manning looked last week, can you imagine the damage he could have caused, had he signed with the Cards, and played with Larry Fitzgerald?

Pittsburgh to win but not to cover vs. the Jets.  I have Pittsburgh by only 2.5 points.  On the other hand, the Jets do well with their new Tebow gimmicks but those are going to fade in usefulness as the year goes on.  In fact, Tebow was only getting 2.2 yards per carry last week.  He threw zero passes and he caught zero passes.  Also, no guarantee that Planet Revis will get his brain working for the game.  My stats don't reflect fourth quarter injuries at all.

RESPONSE:  The Jets will be hurting if Revis doesn't play. If he plaays, I think that the Jets will at least cover. If not, I like the Steelers...and would give the points.  

The Atlanta/Denver game is shaky, poor statistics, but I'll pencil in Atlanta by 9.9 points.  Denver is probably improving each week but Atlanta is good!

RESPONSE: I went with Denver, so I won't feel too bad in case Peyton Manning plays well again, and the Broncos win...LOL!!! Though Atlanta looked good in Week One, I'm not sold on their defense. If the Atlanta "D" can pressure Manning and intercept a couple of his passes, the Falcons will be in good shape. Otherwise, this should be quite a game. 

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

On second thought, I might push up the Arizona spread even higher.  Their starting quarterback, Skelton, was injured midway through the fourth quarter.  He's pictured holding his knee, and whatever it is they carted him off.  At the very least, Skelton hasn't been practicing for the Patriots game and the Arizona coach isn't talking.  The backup, Kolb, is a known quantity and he's a backup for a reason.  He lost his job to Skelton and was terrible in preseason.  He was good enough to complete one touchdown drive against the completely unprepared Seattle Seahawks. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The more I think about the Cards being given 13.5 points, the more I'm thinking that I should have picked them to cover. But, I'm going with my first impression...and am sticking with the Pats to win by at least 14 points.

It's going to be interesting seeing whether the Pats' young players...the law firm of Ridley, Dowling, Wilson, Hightower, and Jones...can keep it up against a better than advertised Cardinals'  team: http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20120912-patriots-journal-belichick-puts-an-end-to-all-that-rookie-praise.ece

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Those of you who, like me, had an awful week of picking games in week one, don't despair. You weren't alone...LOL!! Here are the WalterFootball picks for Week Two: http://walterfootball.com/nflpicks2012_02early.php

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Week2 picks:

chi 5.5, kc 3, CIN -7, bal 2.5, IND 1, MIA 3, tb 7.5,CAR 2, hou -7, was-3, dal -3,  PIT -5.5, ten 6,SF -6.5, ATL -3, and the Pats to win by 9 to 12 points.

games of note ... Bears improvement keeps it close in pack land.  Jints disappoint again in dogfight with bucs.  These are not last years saints.  Steel, jets bounce back to reality .  don't put too much faith in norv and rivers...  Falcons remind Peyton of his age .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Week2 picks:

chi 5.5, kc 3, CIN -7, bal 2.5, IND 1, MIA 3, tb 7.5,CAR 2, hou -7, was-3, dal -3,  PIT -5.5, ten 6,SF -6.5, ATL -3, and the Pats to win by 9 to 12 points.

games of note ... Bears improvement keeps it close in pack land.  Jints disappoint again in dogfight with bucs.  These are not last years saints.  Steel, jets bounce back to reality .  don't put too much faith in norv and rivers...  Falcons remind Peyton of his age .

[/QUOTE]

By saying that the Steelers and Jets returning to reality...I suspect you mean the the Steelers will beat them. If so...do you think that the Jets will at least cover? Or, do you see this as a Steeler blowout?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That Ravens-Iggles spread certainly does make you wonder what Vegas knows that we don't, and why picking winners almost always turns out to be much harder than it looks.

[/QUOTE]

RESPONSE: I've just read that both of Philly's top WRs, Jeremy Macklin and DeSean Jackson, are dinged up. If true, the Ravens are a great play: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/13/desean-jackson-joins-jeremy-maclin-on-sideline-at-eagles-practice/ 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Nicely done TP, not much to argue with there though I think the Chi/GB game is going to come down to a kick. That GB D looks horrible right now and they have no running game. With the Bears having one of the better passing D's in the league Rodgers is going to be running. Not to mention the Bears O looks really dangerous right now. If it weren't in GB I would say Bears would win by 2 scores but since it's at home I think GB is going to put up a fight and make it come down to the wire in a close one.

My picks:

Bears

Giants

Pats

Colts

Saints

Bills (honestly that can't be that bad)

Ravens

Raiders

Bengals

Texans

Cowboys

Skins

Pitt (at Pitt I don't think the Jets can do what they did against the Bills)

Chargers

49ers

Atl (Just a matter of time before someone hits Manning the wrong way and Atl likes to send a lot of bodies. They will be attacking his right side hard)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Just a note for the Eagles/Ravens pick.

Yes, at first glance it seems crazy to have Vegas make the Eagles the favorites. Remember though that the Ravens have had issues on the road (cost them home field last year) and Flacco digresses on the road as well. Yes it's a new season but Vegas won't give them any love until they become a stronger road team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

PatsEng, you stated the following:

"...not much to argue with there though I think the Chi/GB game is going to come down to a kick. That GB D looks horrible right now and they have no running game. With the Bears having one of the better passing D's in the league Rodgers is going to be running. Not to mention the Bears O looks really dangerous right now. If it weren't in GB I would say Bears would win by 2 scores but since it's at home I think GB is going to put up a fight and make it come down to the wire in a close one.

RESPONSE: You could be right. I struggled with this one...and the more I think about it, the more I like the Bears to cover. But...I made my pick, and I'll stick to it. Besides, I have to, since we can't edit any more...LOL!! Green Bay losing LB Desmond Bishop for the season really appears to have hurt the team. Bishop was their leading tackler, a physical presence for them inside, and a leader. This should be a fun game to watch!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Thanks TexasPat, great job as usual.  I think the point spread is a little high in the Patriots game. Arizona has been under the radar but they are well coached, good defense and special teams. I think that we can slow their offense but that defense is going to be much better than the Titans of last week.  I think the Patriots win but maybe a closer game like around 10 points.  Hope to be wrong though, I'm okay with the Pat's winning in a blowout.

I agree with all of your other picks though Denver may have trouble covering., There should be some close games this week.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks TexasPat, great job as usual.  I think the point spread is a little high in the Patriots game. Arizona has been under the radar but they are well coached, good defense and special teams. I think that we can slow their offense but that defense is going to be much better than the Titans of last week.  I think the Patriots win but maybe a closer game like around 10 points.  Hope to be wrong though, I'm okay with the Pat's winning in a blowout.

I agree with all of your other picks though Denver may have trouble covering., There should be some close games this week.  

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that I can do much worse with my picks this week, than I did in week one...LOL!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

I think the Broncos come back down to early playing in Atl at sea level.  Manning was using everything he could muster on every pass last week at Mile High and a lot of those passes were floating in there.  They were on taget but the Squealers were playing well off on all but a few of those throws or they could have step in front pick him off.  Plus That altitude slows done a lot of defenses.

The Squealers well play better at home and the Jest are still the Not Yets  they cover the 5.5 easliy.  Rapestbuger isn't going to throw them 3 or 4 INTs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

TX... The bounce back effect works a few different ways.  Here both teams should bounce back doubling the effect producing convincing win, evening both teams' records at 1-1.

Pittsburgh is tough at home , meanwhile the new Jets get a taste of the road.  revis might be nicked, ... Lebeau pressure schemes should get to Sanchez . Pittsburgh should be ravenous ...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pittsburgh is tough at home , meanwhile the new Jets get a taste of the road.  revis might be nicked, ... Lebeau pressure schemes should get to Sanchez . Pittsburgh should be ravenous ...

[/QUOTE]
    "[Planet Revis] added that the foggy feeling he experienced earlier in the week has dissipated."  That's not optimal in the NFL, and Revis missed a couple of practices. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Packers Giants Pats Colts Saints Chiefs Ravens Raiders Bengals Texans Cowboys Redskins Steelers Chargers 49'ers Broncos

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

LOL, hey TexasPat, the only game we disagree on this week is the Jets vs Steelers game.  Steelers need a win... bad! therefore, I think they will take this game by 6-10 points.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LOL, hey TexasPat, the only game we disagree on this week is the Jets vs Steelers game.  Steelers need a win... bad! therefore, I think they will take this game by 6-10 points.

[/QUOTE]

Great to get off to a good this week, picking the Packers, after last weeks' debacle.

You could be right about the Steelers winning. Revis reportedly is not going to play: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/14/darrelle-revis-out-for-sundays-game-with-steelers/