Welker 'glad' to be with New England

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Welker 'glad' to be with New England

Another reason why Wes is a class act, gets the tag and says how proud he is to be a Patriot, not complaining about being held back without a contract.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Welker 'glad' to be with New England

This reminds me a lot of the Wilfork tag . . . a formality to get more time to negotiate a deal both parties want.  

I think Welker is probably feeling pretty good . . . he now knows he's got at least a $9.4 million pay day next year . . . and that's something that probably would never have come his way if he had played for more ordinary coaches and QBs who would never have figured out how to utilize him as effectively as the Pats have done. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

He has 9.4 million reasons and Tom Brady throwing to him to feel like that. Good for him taking the politically correct road so far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I see the pats reworking this deal for WES and keeping him around for years to come than just 1. I can't see the pats sticking with 9.4 mil for one player against the cap. No way. I can see a 4 or 5 yr deal coming with the first 3 yrs being front loaded. Decrease that 9.4 and bring in a b Lloyd as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Wes is a good little foot soldier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9b__-pVbgM

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

To be honest between Mankins and Samuels NE fans think that players are insulted when they get tagged, more often than not there not insulted, I mean hell vinatieri got tagged twice by the patriots

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think what's more relevant is whether tagging hurts their financial situation or not.  For some guys, the tag prevents them from getting the big signing bonus they could get if they were free agents.  For other guys, who are hoping to sign with their current team, the tag is just a way of buying time for further negotiation toward a deal both parties want.   The salary that goes with the tag is very large (and it's guaranteed for the year) so there's some upside there.  At the same time, in a sport where typical contracts aren't guaranteed and injuries can end a career at any time, you can't blame guys for wanting to get the big signing bonuses that often amount to several years of pay and are money in the pocket once the deal is signed. 

The upside for a tagged player is he can be sure he'll earn a big pay check (8, 10, 12 million) in one year and may have another chance at free agency the next year if he doesn't get a long term deal from the team that tagged him.  The downside is he may be missing out on an even bigger signing bonus and first-year salary (10, 15, 20 million) and could, potentially, see his career end before he ever gets the chance to get that bonus again.