Welker has disdain for Pats ?????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Welker has disdain for Pats ?????

A source close to Wes Welker told Yahoo Sports that the free agent has "somewhat mild disdain" for the Patriots after OC Josh McDaniels used him sparingly in last year's season opener.

Per Cole, "that bit of tweaking stuck in Welker's craw all season," and "there's a little bit of paranoia in the Welker camp" about his role if he re-signs with New England. Welker shared time with Julian Edelman in Week 1, and Edelman started over Welker in Week 2. The Pats eventually turned back to Welker as a featured player, but only after Edelman and Aaron Hernandez got injured.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Re: Welker has disdain for Pats ?????

I suppose it's somewhat understandable, but whether it's human nature or not, that's not the type of attitude we need if we'd like to win a Super Bowl. It's a team game and egos shouldn't supersede the success of the team.

It's a tricky issue, because as I said, it's understandable that Welker would be personally offended by McDaniels's personnel decision, but that doesn't mean that therefore the team should tolerate it.

Anything above 6 mil p/year and I say send him packing. Invest that money on defense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Well we'll see precisely how much 'disdain' he has once he signs a contract, whether it be with the Pats or someone else.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Don't blame him one bit if he does but he sure didn't play last season like he did.  It was another great season by Wes.  Many of us thought it was crazy to see Edelman out there on the field instead of Wes and more then Wes to start off the season.  Yet Wes out performed Edelman, Edelman got hurt and Wes proved MickyD wrong.  I assume deep down TFB had a bit of a problem with this too.  Should be interesting to see who wins this power struggle.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

The offense was fine in weeks 1 & 3 without Wes. Unfortunately they struggled in week 2, which if I remember correctly, he played more in. They were also playing a tough Cardinal defense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I agree its human nature for WW to have some disdain for the way he was treated at the beginning of the year. However I had some disdain when he dropped "the pass" in the Super Bowl and again on 3rd down this year against the Ravens. I guess it is a good sign that he hasn't spoken publicly about his displeasure or come right out and blasted the Patriots. Either way I might go to 7 mil per for 3 years but not much more than that. Agree with TFB12 "put the $ into the defense."

P.S. Good find Iceman I hadn't seen this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

after all of the drama with Wes on these boards, I am anxious for Wes to hit the open market and see who properly valued him, the Pats or Wes and his agent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't see how he wouldn't but to go public with it? That's not a good sign because that means he's using it as leverage in contract talks

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

My gut is telling me the Patriots have a better read on his value.

Not convinced many teams are going to be willing to offer 7+ million per year for an aging and undersized receiver who isn't capable of being a threat beyond 15 yards down the field, lacks any kind of open-field sped, and has dropped passes are critical junctures.

All that said, Wes is a fantastic player. He's incredibly tough, smart, quick, and he is a productive player. But he certainly has flaws, and I'm not entirely convinced that he could carryover his success to another team, where he wouldn't have Brady throwing to him, nor would he be playing in an offensive system tailor-made to his strengths.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Here we go.  Wes looking for the big payday, going public before next week's FA push.  If he wants just money, that's fine, but he won't be here if that is the case.

His main concerns after 2 SB losses where he could have played better, should be in getting his best chance to go back and try to win one.

This whole "I must get 9 million per or more" is ridiculous.  He's not a 10 mil WR because he doesn't score TDs like those guys do.

Brady did it.  Why not Wes?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I say too bad.  Either take good money to be part of a great franchise with a great coach, QB and stability or roll the dice elsewhere for more money, assuming someone wants to overpay him.  If he's really talking about the number of touches he gets or his role on the team, I personally don't want to hear it.  So he's upset that Edelman got some touches?  My goodness, I hope he realises just how lucky he has been to play with Brady for the past 6 years!  That Gronk and Hernandez got huge contracts should tell us all how the Pats view Welker's future with the team.  He could be part of the offense, but not the guy catching 118 balls, and that might just be a good thing. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'd be willing to give Wes 7 mil per year over 3 years.  If he wants more, he can go find it some place else.  I have a feeling that Kraft would even give him 8 mil per, and I think he would be crazy not to take it. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I wouldn't be shocked to see him offered the same contract he was offered last year. $16mil over 2 years fully guaranteed. If you combine that with last year tag that's $26mil over 3 years all guaranteed. Pretty good payday imo.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

Here we go.  Wes looking for the big payday, going public before next week's FA push.  If he wants just money, that's fine, but he won't be here if that is the case.

His main concerns after 2 SB losses where he could have played better, should be in getting his best chance to go back and try to win one.

This whole "I must get 9 million per or more" is ridiculous.  He's not a 10 mil WR because he doesn't score TDs like those guys do.

Brady did it.  Why not Wes?

Umm, did what? Brady has take hometown discounts and worked with BB to keep friendly, team deals on the books.

Why not Wes is right?  If I am him, I am looking for 6 mil per guaranteed over 2 years and then asking for 8 in 2015.  That's 30 million over 4 years if you count 2012.

What is with these numbers these players like Mankins and now Welker come up with anyway?  Who decides that Mankins must get 9 million and Wes now must get a minimum of 9?

These players need to take an economics course or admit that they care only about the money, not trying to win.

These are there jobs. Would you take a pay cut if it could help your company? Most people wouldn't.

I have no problem with guys like Welker trying to maximize what he can get in his final couple of years left in the league. My problem is guys who quit after getting paid, or guys who try to squeeze every penny after already making a fortune.

Playing in the NFL is a business, not fandom. You'd probably be doing the same thing if you were playing. Don't know how true the number is, but I believe it was SI that said 78% of NFL players go broke within 3 years of retiring. NFL is a short term career with a high probability of long term health problems.

Welker isn't half of one of the top 3 paid couples in the US. 

I'll say this about Welker. He puts it all on the line when he suits up. He's a small guy and he takes a lot of nasty hits from safeties and LB's. He's not perfect and his drops are annoying, but I would say he gives more effort than almost 95% of the league. To say he doesn't care about winning is just wrong.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurienyc13. Show laurienyc13's posts

Honestly you are going to believe a writer from Yahoo that Wes said that, must be a slow news day. The writer is from Miami. I hate stories that start with "un-named source" Just wait for the real  reporters to report not some hack that works for Yahoo Sports... Relax..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

I suppose it's somewhat understandable, but whether it's human nature or not, that's not the type of attitude we need if we'd like to win a Super Bowl. It's a team game and egos shouldn't supersede the success of the team.

It's a tricky issue, because as I said, it's understandable that Welker would be personally offended by McDaniels's personnel decision, but that doesn't mean that therefore the team should tolerate it.

Anything above 6 mil p/year and I say send him packing. Invest that money on defense.

i had the same feelign al year (posted here) 6 mil.

and agree with yoru point, if hes going ot be pissed if the team takes a direction he doesnt like next year  i dotn kow that you want theat, esp for 5 years. remove bradys 4 yard binky and give him and real outside threat (not lloyd)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Update************************

Report: Patriots, Welker closing in on pact

A source tells CSN New England that the Patriots are closing in on a multi-year contract with free agent Wes Welker.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

so much for Yahoo Sports......lol