Welker off the PUP list...YES!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Welker off the PUP list...YES!

Great news!!!

Wes Welker cleared to practice

By Mike Reiss
    ESPNBoston.com
    Archive

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Recovering New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker has been removed from the active/physically unable to perform list and will practice Sunday, Nick Caserio, the team's director of player personnel, said earlier in the morning.

Welker, who underwent surgery for a torn ACL on Feb. 2, has passed his physical, Caserio said.

The move strengthens the possibility that Welker will be on the field for the Patriots' season-opener Sept. 12 against the Cincinnati Bengals. Welker suffered the injury Jan. 3 in Houston.

Asked what it says about Welker that he's returned so quickly, Caserio said: "He works hard, he's committed to football. ... Wes is a unique guy, there is no question about it. It's a tribute to him and his work ethic and competitiveness and toughness to get back on the field."

Sunday marks the fourth day of Patriots' training camp and the Patriots have two practices scheduled, at 9:30 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. Welker had missed five full-padded practices, but was seen working with the team's strength and conditioning staff off to the side.

Mike Reiss covers the Patriots for ESPNBoston.com. Follow him on Twitter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics12345. Show Celtics12345's posts

Re: Welker off the PUP list...YES!

dang, you beat me to it. haha

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Welker off the PUP list...YES!:
    [QUOTE]Great news!!! Wes Welker cleared to practice Email Print Comments 1 By Mike Reiss ESPNBoston.com Archive FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Recovering New England Patriots wide receiver  Wes Welker  has been removed from the active/physically unable to perform list and will practice Sunday, Nick Caserio, the team's director of player personnel, said earlier in the morning. Welker, who underwent surgery for a torn ACL on Feb. 2, has passed his physical, Caserio said. The move strengthens the possibility that Welker will be on the field for the Patriots' season-opener Sept. 12 against the  Cincinnati Bengals . Welker suffered the injury Jan. 3 in Houston. Asked what it says about Welker that he's returned so quickly, Caserio said: "He works hard, he's committed to football. ... Wes is a unique guy, there is no question about it. It's a tribute to him and his work ethic and competitiveness and toughness to get back on the field." Sunday marks the fourth day of Patriots' training camp and the Patriots have two practices scheduled, at 9:30 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. Welker had missed five full-padded practices, but was seen working with the team's strength and conditioning staff off to the side. Mike Reiss covers the Patriots for ESPNBoston.com.  Follow him on Twitter .
    Posted by HRK103[/QUOTE]

Best case scenario. If Brady gets his best wr back for the start of the year it takes so much pressure off the young guys to perform immediately.

So it turned out to be just an ACl as opposed to Acl/MCl?? That must have something to do with the speedy recovery as well. I thought it was originally diagnosed as both.

Anyway Great news first thing in the morning!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

In Response to Re: Welker off the PUP list...YES!:
    [QUOTE]dang, you beat me to it. haha
    Posted by Celtics12345[/QUOTE]

I read that he was coming off and thought for sure there would a thread about it...but it is Sunday and most Pats fans are in Church...haha

you'll get me next time

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Can't beleive this guy is ready to come back! Hate to say he may have used a little help, but I really don't care what these guys do to compete, just like I don't care that their homes are 6k square feet and their cars are worth over a 100 grand apiece.

Love to watch this guy play! I hope he can catch over a hundred balls again, it'll be interesting to see if he still has that signature blend of quickness and slipperyness.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

[QUOTE]Can't beleive this guy is ready to come back! Hate to say he may have used a little help, but I really don't care what these guys do to compete, just like I don't care that their homes are 6k square feet and their cars are worth over a 100 grand apiece. Love to watch this guy play! I hope he can catch over a hundred balls again, it'll be interesting to see if he still has that signature blend of quickness and slipperyness.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]
    yhea I know right, I don't care  though, This is awesome.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Welker is a guy that is worth every penny of his contract and I don't begrudge him any of it. He's the hardest worker out there and I hope the youngsters notice. Makes you wonder about Crable 2+ years and never made the field, but 5-9 180lb WW comes off knee surgery and is ready the first week of TC.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Now I realize the reports are good about WW but let's all hope he has retained the quick step that enables him to get open. If he has lost that step and can't separate from the defender well that spells disaster. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

That's great!  I always liked Welker.  Truly a fun receiver to watch...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Nice! I'm sure the Media will be focused in on him at practice now too so we will probably get some clips and insight related to his speed and quickness when running the routes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Well, we all knew the PUP was just a temporary stint, but...

Moss-man
    Wes Lighting
    Tate
    Welkerman (Edelman)
    Price
    Holt
    Weapon X (Hernandez)
    Gronk/Crumpler
    Maroney/Faulk

All I have to say to DCs is "Good luck, everybody else!"

Also, we need nicknames for other Patriots WRs. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from breezer827. Show breezer827's posts

This is great news. and the weather conditions are perfect for him. No rain or sloppy fields. Now the team can be complete. This guys is a beast and is nothing but heart. Like ewhite said maybe the media will focus on Wes, and lay off brady. I think we all knew that wes was going to be back it was just a matter of time. Congrats Wes and welcome back!!! We love u!!! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]The ones they showed with him in mini camp looked like the same old cuts to me. I couldn't believe it.  The fact they went through the formality of actually announcing him to be on the Active PUP last week tells me they were just going through the motions here.  The guy is ready.  There is no way they'd risk this if the medical staff wasn't completely convinced. Patten isn't getting reps and now he's retired. It all seems like a plan now. And BB is working them big time on red zone offense. I like it. I like it a lot: FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Based on the New England Patriots ' first five training camp practices, the groundskeepers who maintain the two plush practice fields behind Gillette Stadium can narrow their focus. Almost everything, it seems, is taking place inside the 20-yard line. The message couldn't be any clearer. Bill Belichick wasn't pleased with the red-zone results last season, and he's loaded up his early practice itinerary with work in that area. Sometimes the ball is spotted on the 20. Other times it's the 10, 5 or even closer to the goal line. What has resulted is some of the most spirited segments of practice, the offense and defense jawing at each other in the 11-on-11 work, a celebration usually resulting after the play. "After turnovers, red area is probably the number one statistic that correlates with winning and losing," Belichick said Saturday on Sirius NFL radio. "We have higher goals than what we achieved last year." The numbers have been sliced, diced and analyzed over the offseason. The Patriots didn't have problems getting inside the red zone last season, racking up 65 trips inside the opponents' 20-yard line, the third highest total in the NFL. But what they did once they got there was most troubling, crossing the goal line for a touchdown just 34 times. That 52.3 percent conversion rate ranked 13th in the NFL. "That's the game," quarterback Tom Brady said Saturday on Sirius. "When you're playing these competitive games against teams that have similar levels of talent and coaching, it comes down to a couple plays in the red area. You kick the field goal or score the touchdown." When considering what might make things different this year, the team's new look at tight end is near the top of the list. Veteran free agent Alge Crumpler (6-foot-2, 275) and second-round draft choice Rob Gronkowski (6-6, 265) are powerful, and fourth-round draft choice Aaron Hernandez (6-1, 245) has flashed a knack for coming down with the football in tight spots. Gronkowski and Hernandez produced one of the early highlights of training camp when both scored touchdowns in red-zone work. Gronkowski shielded safety Patrick Chung while running to the front left pylon, and Brady easily found his new big target. Hernandez leaped and wrestled a Brady pass away from Chung a few plays later. Yet while the tight ends have flashed promise, there is one area that could derail the Patriots' desired improvement in the red zone, where the space gets tight and the ability to overpower an opponent gains importance. Without starting left guard Logan Mankins , who is the line's most physical blocker and is a holdout because of a contract dispute, establishing a bruising presence up front becomes a greater challenge. That seemed apparent in the first practice of training camp, when nose tackle Vince Wilfork burst through the interior of the line and stonewalled Sammy Morris on a run near the goal line. "We need to be that team that can go out there and hit people in the mouth and have fun doing it," left tackle Matt Light said. "It all starts with all this kind of stuff." After the 2009 season, Light said that one of his hopes was that the offense would become more physical. Based on the early focus on the red zone, it seems Belichick agrees. It's only been five practices, but the Patriots are wearing out the grass inside the 20s. Crumpler, in his first year in New England, likes the do-it-again nature of the work. "I'm a repetition guy and I know Coach firmly believes in repetition," he said. "It's just too hard in this league to turn on a light switch. You have to work at it, do things right, and try to develop an attitude of perfection, whatever the situation. "I've been on teams that were highly successful in the red area," he continued. "That's where it counts. You have defenses that bend but don't break, and you have offenses that find a way to mess it up, but somehow can still find ways to put points on the board." The Patriots want to get back to being the type of offense that puts 6s on the board when they are in the red zone, not 3s, and the work starts now. Belichick hopes he's set that tone with his practice scheduling. Call it a red alert.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

Good stuff Russ. I have very high hopes for Crumpler. He's a nice sneaky weapon to have for 3rd downs and the red zone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Smells like Victory

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

Welker coming back is huge. He's definitely going to help them. Although he still should be brought thru carefully and not rushed back. Better to be a little cautious with that kind of injury. Sorry Rusty Trombone but I have no problem with him coming back. That way you don't have your usual injury excuse

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]I like how he lost weight.  We know he can catch.  He became a very good blocker, helping Chris Johnson go fo 2000 when teams knew they'd run with Johnson all day. Another underrated offseason FA move by BB.   I feel they need to keep 3 TEs this year. Load up at TE and on the DL.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

Me too on the 3 Tight ends. We should witness the rebirth of Tory Holt this year also. He still has plenty left in the tank and he can work inside and out with the best of them. I'm starting to get psyched and I believe in the next week or so they're going to get something worked out with Mankins..Cautiously optimistic anyway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Mike Reiss just Blogged some Welker Q&A's.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – Patriots receiver Wes Welker answered questions from reporters after going through his first full-pads practice Sunday morning.

The Q&A lasted about nine minutes and here are some of the key highlights:

His feelings on being back at practice. “It feels good. I don’t know, it doesn’t feel like I’ve really left it, just being out there and being able to work and do some things when nobody is really looking, and things like that. So I felt good out there. It felt good to get out with the teammates and do some things.”

On if he feels 100 percent. “No. We’re not there yet. Every day, we’re getting a little bit closer. Slowly but surely, we’re making progress.”

How he returned as quickly as he did. “It’s just working with the right people and working hard with it. That’s all it came to … The training staff here. Some great people I worked out with in California.”

Receiving an ovation from the crowd as he arrived at practice. “It was great. Obviously, I was just happy to get out there and get to play and get to be out there with my teammates. That’s kind of been my goal. I’m just happy for today to finally get here. You all [say] it’s been quick. It seems like a long time to me.”

If he’s thinking about the knee when making cuts and running routes. “Not really. I’m obviously out there. If I thought I was favoring it, or anything like that, I probably wouldn’t be out here. It’s feeling good so far. We’re trying to get that muscle memory back of making those quick moves and get that stuff back.”

His expectation for playing in the season-opener. “Obviously, I’d like to be, but that’s up to the coaches and doctors. We’ll put it in their hands and see what they have to say about it.”