Welker to Denver. Done Deal.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1225944. Show user_1225944's posts

Re: Welker to Denver. Done Deal.

Welker was so durable- not many missed games due to injury.  Amendola might be good when healthy, but has had trouble staying on the field.  I am fearful of the amount of time Gronk, Hernandez and Amendola will spend injured.

Welker will perform very well with Manning- even if he is 'declining' it is not as if he's all of a sudden a terrible player- it just means that Denver will have to rely on him a little less than NE did.  Sportscenter will be tough to watch because he'll have some big plays in Denver.

I think it was probably the right move to let him go if they were planning on using him less since he would have probably had a bad attitude about having a reduced role (see Sept 2012).  If Amendola is healthy we'll be fine... if he goes down with an injury we'll regret Welker leaving.

Let's hope that with Amendola coming on board the rest of the $$$ from Brady's contract restructuring will be poured into the D... which has been the real reason we've not been able to win a couple more Super Bowls.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zudac5. Show zudac5's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

What a little b!tch wes is. He complains about not getting a a longer offer that two years from the pats this past year then signs a two year deal with the broncos. Go f ck yourself wes. Little baby. 

Agreed for sure he wanted out so let him go he still didn't get long term contract he wanted so badly. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zudac5. Show zudac5's posts

In response to kylerocks' comment:

Yes the Patriots were so cheap and disrespectful of Welker that they paid him 9.515 million dollars last year under the franchise tag while they tried to negotiate in good faith on a long term contract extension which Wes And his agent chose not to accept.  Sure Belichick tried to see what life after Wes would be like if they couldn't agree to a long term deal so he screwed around with Wes' role which probably tweaked Wes (guy always seemed a little insecure to me even though I think he's one of the toughest players in football).  Belichick did it to protect the club just like he drafted Brace when they were in negotiations with Wilfork (who performed and got paid).  

I personally think it was an ego thing for Wes to leave because he was sick of hearing how Brady made him and he wouldn't be 1/2 the WR he is if it wasn't for the great TB and BB.  I think the media whipped it up and his agent stirred the pot and before you know it Wes goes and pulls a Ray Allen.  I do think that BB did mess up by benching Wes in that game VS the Jets for the foot comments and maybe he just got sick of the Patriot way where you can't have any fun or personality and maybe BB will learn from this too and become a better coach.  I think Wes will although I doubt he'll become a better football player as his best days are behind him although he will still be productive, especially in Denver.

Sorry to see him go, always liked him, but I believe that the offense hard to evolve to get back to winning superbowls and maybe Wes had to go to make that happen.  Can't wait to see what this season brings.

Great post a lot of insight and let's move on GO PATS

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stonere1. Show stonere1's posts

I think the patriots made a huge mistake. I will be rooting for Denver and I will bet that they will have a better record then the patriots this coming season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In response to stonere1's comment:

I think the patriots made a huge mistake. I will be rooting for Denver and I will bet that they will have a better record then the patriots this coming season.

I think you are making a great decision!  I am glad you are rooting for Denver!  I think you are right they will have a better record than Patriots this season!

Goodbye!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gogeta3980. Show Gogeta3980's posts

In response to stonere1's comment:

Thats cute. Enjoy watching Peyton Manning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to kylerocks' comment:

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to Rocky's comment:

Jeff Howe         Jeff Howe @jeffphowe

The Patriots did not counter the Broncos' offer, according to two sources.

That actually makes sense. That is more like thier  SOP.

If that's true TB should be pissed and it means they didn't want Wes there anymore at all.  He could have gotten 2/12 a lot of places.

Then if that is the case he should fire his agent. It was evident the Pat's were ready to move on based on the fact he got to Tuesday without a deal. He ill be missed but they will find other ways to compensate for his production.

I hope TB is pissed. It is time he starts looking for the open reciever like he used to instead of the crutch that Welker developed into.

I am not sure this is how you want Brady to be pissed.  this isn't the kind pissed that fuels the competitive fires FOR the team. 

Wonder if Brady will stay in Cali all summer long.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grillmasters. Show Grillmasters's posts

Proof is in the pudding.  BAD....let me repeat...BAD deal.  A slap in the face.  The only good thing is that Manning has a high level receiver to aid the team.  Boston's loss, Denver's gain.  It'll come back to bite them in the a$$.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Amendola for Welker is hard to swallow.I really don't get it.

Welker had chemistry with Brady and is able to stay on the field. We don't know if Amendola will. And why allow him to go to our rival on top of all this? 

All these discussions about WW being TB's binkie and having more $ to spend on the D are meaningless. What is wrong with a binkie? Amendola and WW are about the same $$ so there is no $$ saved. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Reactions around the web to Welker March, 14, 2013 MAR 14 8:35 AM ET

By Field Yates | ESPNBoston.com

The decision by the Patriots to allow Wes Welker to depart in free agency is not just the talk of New England, but all the football world. Gathering perspectives on the situation from around the web. 

1. Walker: Swap is a mistake. James Walker, who mans the  AFC East blog for ESPN.com, says replacing Wes Welker with Danny Amendola is a mistake by the Patriots. 

2. A 'crushing blow.'  Sports Illustrated's Peter King believes Bill Belichick and the Patriots misjudged Welker's value, and seeing him go to Denver on a reasonably priced contract is a crushing blow to the team. 

3. Welker situation 'mishandled' by Pats.  Will Brinson, senior NFL blogger for CBS' Eye on Football blog, says that the Patriots mishandled the situation, citing how Welker did everything that was asked of him, however was never rewarded with the deal he wanted. 

4. Not about money, but about ego. In the end, this situation doesn't come down to money, it comes down to ego, writes  Tom E. Curran of Comcast Sports Net. Curran chronicles previous interactions between Welker's camp and the Patriots, and how the situation came to an ugly end. 

5. Welker a 'pawn' to Patriots.  Ron Borges of the Boston Herald writes the Welker situation is another example of how there is no love between the Patriots and their players, rather that the team values them as 'commodities' 

6. Patriots to blame.  Chris Gasper of the Boston Globe believes that the Patriots dropped the ball in this situation, describing Welker as being 'pushed off the contractual cliff' by the team. 

7. All about respect.  Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe adds that it was all about respect in the end for Welker, as the team didn't show him enough of it. 

8. Indefensible. One word is all  Kirk Minihane of WEEI.com needs to describe his take on the move. 

9. Multiple message sent.  Jarrett Bell of the USA Today dives into the multiple messages sent by the decision, one of which is 'Good riddance, Wes. We'll be fine.' 

10. Welker a big winner.  Don Banks of Sports Illustrated says that even if Welker is a "system" receiver, he's going to another team suited for his skills (and one that has Peyton Manning). That makes him a big winner of Wednesday. 

11. Doesn't pay to play in the slot.  Clark Judge of CBSSports.com details the value of being a slot receiver, which doesn't pay nearly as much as a perimeter, downfield threat such as Mike Wallace. 

12. Sharp Elway. Fellow  CBSSports.com writer Pete Prisco opines that Broncos executive John Elway knows exactly what he's doing as an evaluator, as adding Welker is a big time move for Denver.