Welker's Comment

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

Welker's Comment

According to Greg A. Bedard

Michael Felger asked the following question to Welker:

"Your 13 catches have got to put you in the top five in the league in receiving, which is a far cry from the three receptions you had in Week 1. A month later, it has to be more fun to come out of a game with 13 versus three."

Welker's response, which did come with a smile and a wink:

"Yeah, it's kind of nice to stick it in Bill's face once in a while, so this is definitely a good one."

What makes it strange is that Welker was the one who brought Belichick into it, apparently unsolicited.

Definitely a curious exchange, at least.

However if you watch the video, the crew was laughing when the question was asked, Welker was laughing and we all know that Wes has a "satirical" sense of humor, aka Rex Ryan Foot comment.

So do you think that this was really a shot at the relationship he has with Team now or more a case of a person happy with the win and letting his guard down a little?

I take it as the latter and think that this is really a case of the Media blowing things up and making a story. His presser and comments before this showed a person on board with the team and not a bitter malcontent. ... your thoughts?

you can see the interview here http://www.csnne.com/football-new-england-patriots/patriots-talk/Welker-on-13-catches-Nice-to-stick-it-in?blockID=785499&feedID=10426 and his presser here.... http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Wes-Welker-Postgame-Presser---1072012/1fbec6bb-a5fc-4a5d-8ef8-f66c743c314f

Why does BCD need to cause issues after a key game win and a team that is really comming together....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Welker's Comment

the latter

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

Just stupid on Wes' part. Why go there, unless you're really p'o'd? Even in jest. Never, ever bite the hand that feeds you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSthebest. Show PATSthebest's posts

BB hasn't "fed" Wes these year. Wes did this on his own. BB should put this aside and pay Wes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Mr Welker meet the bench, the bench meet Wes, I think you two have met before. You'll both be joined by a Mr. Ridley.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'd be willing to bet he was poking fun at the media.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

It's called humor folks. The media will do anything to create a story out of nothing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

Don't think he benches Ridley. I think they push him hard on fumbles this week and play him next week but not in the 4th quarter. He is a good running back and if you let this get into his head, it will make him too worried about fumbling and not about gaining yards. He has 102 carries and 5 receptions so 1 fumble on 107 touches is not a high rate or fumble prone. It is like Brady throwing an interception... do you bench him everytime he does that?

Last year was a teaching year and BB made his point. This year he is an integral part of our offense. I don't think he gets benched the whole game next week, he may not start and may miss the first two series but he won't be out long. We need a running game next week in Seattle

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

FYI.. Green-Ellis has 3 fumbles on 91 carries this season... we were spoiled with his 0 fumbles on 1000 carries or so... even Dillion fumbled some.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's called humor folks. The media will do anything to create a story out of nothing.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed it is humor - the problem? Humor doesn't work around here in Belichick land. Belichick will be asked about it...he will consider it a distraction...he won't like that. I could be wrong, but I doubt he will feel all warm and fuzzy inside over Wes's comments. Joke or not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Pats-bilbo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't think he benches Ridley. I think they push him hard on fumbles this week and play him next week but not in the 4th quarter. He is a good running back and if you let this get into his head, it will make him too worried about fumbling and not about gaining yards. He has 102 carries and 5 receptions so 1 fumble on 107 touches is not a high rate or fumble prone. It is like Brady throwing an interception... do you bench him everytime he does that?

Last year was a teaching year and BB made his point. This year he is an integral part of our offense. I don't think he gets benched the whole game next week, he may not start and may miss the first two series but he won't be out long. We need a running game next week in Seattle

[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right because when that ball hit the ground the first thing I thought was...see you in December Ridley!! And that would be a shame - a total shame. The guy deserves to be getting the ball (more even)...run his legs clean off (he's young, he can handle it).

I think if you give this guy 25 carries a week he'll get you a 100 yards of offense - we need that balance. I like him much better than Bolden. Simms mentioned Vareen is an outstanding pass catcher from what he saw in practice - that should help too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

They need to throw the ball to Ridley once or twice when he is split out wide... just feel like they put him out there to pull a DB out of the middle, but eventually they need to show he is a real threat. I am sure they have a pattern or two that could get him opened and active in the spread formation. Then Woodhead does not need to start the game in that role.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Ridley ran for 160 yards, do you know how rare that is? Apparently you young Pats fans don't understand the cornucopia of weapons the Pats have on the ground and in the air. As for Welker, it's guys like him that make the Pats great. He's a warrior and a funny guy, and I think Belichick, if you ever watch some of the NFL films, has a similar sense of humor. I think Welker and BB will be fine. Contracts are contracts, business is business. This is a good time to be Wes Welker. Not a good time to be an injured Edelman.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I don't like this from Wes.  I know it was joking but BB doesn't like players to joke around... Best foot forward... Did he not learn from the last time he joked around?  his play on the field helps this team big time, thats not even questionable!  But when he does this, you just gotta shake your head.  Here I have been defending him this whole time and instead of just going out on the field and proving his point every Sunday, he goes and does this.  Joking or not, he should know BB doesn't go for this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

TFB, BB to Welker's face in an exhibition game a few years ago (The Belichick feature on NFL films), said had Wes ever heard of Wally Pipp, and then BB explained why Wes is Wally Pipp because Edelman, the rookie, was taking his punt return jobs, etc. Belichick doesn't get upset about self-inflicted humor or humor within the Pats, he gets upset when the Pats players are taunting or saying something stupid about their next opponents. When you fire up the other team, that's what BB is serious about. This was a joke, and nothing more.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't like this from Wes.  I know it was joking but BB doesn't like players to joke around... Best foot forward... Did he not learn from the last time he joked around?  his play on the field helps this team big time, thats not even questionable!  But when he does this, you just gotta shake your head.  Here I have been defending him this whole time and instead of just going out on the field and proving his point every Sunday, he goes and does this.  Joking or not, he should know BB doesn't go for this.

[/QUOTE]

+1

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQRaYT9PmG0

he winked, smiled when he said it, people in the background laughing - definitely a joke.

I think BB is all about business, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a sense of humor. Wes will get whipped by a soft piece of spaghetti, mebbe sit for first series.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Saw this in real time as Welker was interviewed. Pretty funny stuff- you have to see Wes's face. It did blow away Felger, Brown, and Law. They went quickly to commerical break- but after awhile on return they were all laughting and shaking thier heads- and Felger was happy Wes "spoke out" about Bill.

How Wes meant it- who Knows?- he's a seriously funny dude- a smart (#@!) off field as he is focused and smart about his football on field.  Who knows how BB will respond.  It is refreshing to have a little color in the canned post game party line interviews.  Something tells me Wes will be quiet for a spell now though. (with public )

Wes Welker should retire a Patriot.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to PhatRex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Looks like Welker won't be starting next game.  You know BB does not like his players to have any kind of sense of humor or semblance of a personality.

[/QUOTE]

GO BACK AND READ HIS ODE TO "TOES" RYAN AND YOU PHATTIE

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mr Welker meet the bench, the bench meet Wes, I think you two have met before. You'll both be joined by a Mr. Ridley.

[/QUOTE]

just what I was thinking...WW for the 1st quarter, Ridley for the 1st half

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TFB, BB to Welker's face in an exhibition game a few years ago (The Belichick feature on NFL films), said had Wes ever heard of Wally Pipp, and then BB explained why Wes is Wally Pipp because Edelman, the rookie, was taking his punt return jobs, etc. Belichick doesn't get upset about self-inflicted humor or humor within the Pats, he gets upset when the Pats players are taunting or saying something stupid about their next opponents. When you fire up the other team, that's what BB is serious about. This was a joke, and nothing more.

[/QUOTE]

Time will tell.  As much as I want to laugh and tell everyone to lighten up about this it just wasn't a good idea, imo.  I think away from the game and away from the press BB problably loves to joke around but doing this in front of the press and drawing attention to something that has been a big Patriots public issue since game 1, I don't like it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It doesn't matter either way.  Wes's role will change when YAC Man returns.