Well, It's Denver (Game Plan Talk)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from deebz. Show deebz's posts

Re: Well, It's Denver (Game Plan Talk)

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One of my favorite movies of all time is LA Confidential. Just a gem of a movie. If no one has seen it, run out and buy it and you can thank me later.

Anyway, there is a classic shootout scene at the end, when Russell Crowe's character, Bud White, turns to his colleague, Exley, and says:

"This is as good as any place for it to end, isn't it?"

Yep. Sure is.

The arrogance and self righteousness of Elway, Bowlen, Manning, etc, and to have a shot as the underdog to finally see Brady exercise the demons for his AFC title game showings, on the road for the first time since 2004. What more do you want?

I can think of no better situation. The Pats have been cast off all year and we know about the injuries.   But, they have guts, character, camaraderie and are not entitled like Denver.

I love being in this position because I could not take another Brady disappointment at home.   At least, if they lose, they will go down swinging and Brady may get that fire lit a bit to string 2 good or great postseason games together for once.

I mean, if you want a breaking point, this is it. It's what I wanted.

Anyway, the strategies....

On offense:

1. RUn the ball and run it some more until Denver's crappy LBs and Safeties start biting in the box and then you can get your playaction just like the last 3 games we've seen.  

2. Get everyone involved, especially Develin, Hooman/Mulligan on designed check downs, as well as specific plays targeting the perimeter to Thompkins, Edelman and hopefully, Dobson. This will expose Denver's mid field coverage worse, later on once playaction is ready. hopefully by the 2nd qtr or halftime.

3. Do not panic.  Even if you get behind, stick to the running and strategic use of Vereen.

On defense...

The big secret with Denver is to not be so scared of their passing attack, if you have the horses to compete.

Moreno is not great, but he's certainly good enough and he gets advantages with how their offense sells a pass.

Then, they just run draws.

This is why we match up well. In man and zone, we can handle their passing.  The front 7, mainly 5 players (Nink, Siliga, C.Jones and Chandler with Flecther) will need to take out Moreno/Ball with the run.

That's your ballgame right there.  

Do what you normally do vs Gomie:

1. MIx man and zones, don't show it until the snap.

2. Contain/stop the run. This is vital and an underrated element in this game. Last  game, BB baited Gomer, but I bet they try to make it a priority to take pressure off Gomie.

3. Get a turnover or more than 1.

This is NOT a good match up for Denver, regardless of what the media will try to sell you.

[/QUOTE]

You are so on point..and we all know that Bill is at his best when we are the underdog..I actually like the situation..it is what it is..so man up and play smart..and please do not bail on that running game!! I want 35-40 runs and 22-25 passes..GO pats..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from deebz. Show deebz's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

One of my favorite movies of all time is LA Confidential. Just a gem of a movie. If no one has seen it, run out and buy it and you can thank me later.

Anyway, there is a classic shootout scene at the end, when Russell Crowe's character, Bud White, turns to his colleague, Exley, and says:

Yep. Sure is.

The arrogance and self righteousness of Elway, Bowlen, Manning, etc, and to have a shot as the underdog to finally see Brady exercise the demons for his AFC title game showings, on the road for the first time since 2004. What more do you want?

I can think of no better situation. The Pats have been cast off all year and we know about the injuries.   But, they have guts, character, camaraderie and are not entitled like Denver.

I love being in this position because I could not take another Brady disappointment at home.   At least, if they lose, they will go down swinging and Brady may get that fire lit a bit to string 2 good or great postseason games together for once.

On offense:

1. RUn the ball and run it some more until Denver's crappy LBs and Safeties start biting in the box and then you can get your playaction just like the last 3 games we've seen.  

2. Get everyone involved, especially Develin, Hooman/Mulligan on designed check downs, as well as specific plays targeting the perimeter to Thompkins, Edelman and hopefully, Dobson. This will expose Denver's mid field coverage worse, later on once playaction is ready. hopefully by the 2nd qtr or halftime.

3. Do not panic.  Even if you get behind, stick to the running and strategic use of Vereen.

On defense...

The big secret with Denver is to not be so scared of their passing attack, if you have the horses to compete.

Moreno is not great, but he's certainly good enough and he gets advantages with how their offense sells a pass.

This is why we match up well. In man and zone, we can handle their passing.  The front 7, mainly 5 players (Nink, Siliga, C.Jones and Chandler with Flecther) will need to take out Moreno/Ball with the run.

2. Contain/stop the run. This is vital and an underrated element in this game. Last  game, BB baited Gomer, but I bet they try to make it a priority to take pressure off Gomie.

This is NOT a good match up for Denver, regardless of what the media will try to sell you.

[/QUOTE]

In spite of your constant insistence on 'pound the rock', I submit to you that Denver's run defense is better than their pass defense and that the PATS will opt to use the passing game to set up the run as opposed to your eagernees to establish the run to later effectively use 'play action'.  But I guess we will just have to wait until next week to see what BB comes up with as a game strategy to achieve a W and an ensuing SB appearance.

[/QUOTE]

You may be correct but those rund D stats are a bit flawed because most teams were in deep holes against Denver so they were passing more than running..this will be different

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Simplied gameplan for me:

1) establish the run and don't abandon it

2) put PM on his azz early and often

3) stop the denver run

San Diego tried to establish the run as they did in previous games but were not successful & it was not until they started passing that they scored.

I believe Blount & Ridley are better than their Moreno so we have the edge running and even getting 5-6 yards we can then do play action and take the sack pressure off Brady and open up the field for him.

But the key is as you said to put Manning on his butt. I don't think San Diego sacked him even once. In the last drive when Denver was only ahead by a TD there were two 3rd down plays and Manning passed and got the first down daggers. I think some calculated blitzes are in order and put a little fear in Peyton so maybe he tosses up a pick or two.

Other key is to not jump offside, San Diego did 5 times and 2 were first downs, and BB has to let them hear Mannings' cadence a few times to get used to his trickery.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from deebz. Show deebz's posts

In response to Mellywitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yep. Sure is.

On offense:

On defense...

[/QUOTE]

In spite of your constant insistence on 'pound the rock', I submit to you that Denver's run defense is better than their pass defense and that the PATS will opt to use the passing game to set up the run as opposed to your eagernees to establish the run to later effectively use 'play action'.  But I guess we will just have to wait until next week to see what BB comes up with as a game strategy to achieve a W and an ensuing SB appearance.

[/QUOTE]

If the Pats don't keep Manning on the bench for long stretches of the game they will not win...a shootout here is one thing....on enemy territory it's entirely another.....you have to smash them and take their will to win away as much as possible...will we pass...yes, a controlled short passing game with sufficient sideline passes to keep them honest...but we have to run  more than we pass....

[/QUOTE]

Time of posession is key..eat clock..no shootout..that is a recipe for a loss..

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

[QUOTE]

Yep. Sure is.

On offense:

On defense...

This is NOT a good match up for Denver, regardless of what the media will try to sell y

like your game plan. thats what im hoping for. lots of running and sticking with it. i agree that we match up well with denver. especially when you are adding collins into the mix on defense. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, I think the obvious question is, will BB use Talib on Julius or Demarius again since he knows he has a shutdown option on Demarius already?

It makes some sense to give Julius over to Collins since you know what you have with Talib.

[/QUOTE]

imo, Talib on D. Thomas is the way to go. Think about it, Talib played great on him the first time but wasn't even close to as healthy as he is now!

I like the idea of Collins on J. Thomas and maybe Harmon (sh1t i really would like to see Harmon over Gregory sunday) shawdowing him too

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I was NOT impressed with Denver's win, especially with how poorly the Chargers played on both sides of the ball. Using Woodhead as a lead back failed them, once they got a little more aggressive in the passing game their offense came alive and exposed the Denver's secondary. Rivers had terrible protection also.

As far as the Denver O is concerned, I think we can contain Moreno much better this time with Siligia, improved Hightower and Collins. Peyton was rarely hurried or hit, got to at least get to him once in a while. Chargers also sat in zone almost all game and hot burned for it. I know they have Julius Thomas this time around, but I think Collins can handle him. Chargers also missed some easy INTs I believe this Pats team could make.

The game may be in Denver this time around but I really like our chances after BB coaches this team up and the Broncos get their head bloated by the media love.

Watch out for the refs on Sunday, Peyton MUST get into the SB no matter who helps him get there. Again we probably won't get any holding calls when Jones gets mugged.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am leaning in that direction, plus I think Talib is even healthier now.

I guess if BB wanted to, just to mess with Gomie a bit, he could move Talib off each Thomas at random when in man, depending upon their tendency history in down and distance (perimeter or middle). He could use Logan Ryan on the plays on Demarius when Talib is on Julius in man.

Personally, I think Gomie hates throwing to the sidelines and prefers what most QBs prefer to do and that's to throw in and around the hashes, which is where Julius will be most of the time if NE decides to play man.

I still would try to bait him to sideline throws again.

[/QUOTE]

yup agree. If you get Peyton throwing his noodle arm enough to the sidelines one will duck out and fall into a DBs hands hopefully.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

It's going to come to down to how well the secondary plays when they get into man to man situations. If they're below par and we're forced to play zone the whole game, we're done.

If Talib and Dennard can disrupt Decker and Thomas, then I really like our chances.

Bronco's are in the same mold as the 2011 Patriots, 2011 Saints, 2011 Packers and 2012 Patriots.

You have to disrupt the offensive rhythm with either pressure or good press coverage. I don't feel to strong about our ability to rush the passer, so I'll have my eyes closely watching how well our secondary does.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's going to come to down to how well the secondary plays when they get into man to man situations. If they're below par and we're forced to play zone the whole game, we're done.

If Talib and Dennard can disrupt Decker and Thomas, then I really like our chances.

Bronco's are in the same mold as the 2011 Patriots, 2011 Saints, 2011 Packers and 2012 Patriots.

You have to disrupt the offensive rhythm with either pressure or good press coverage. I don't feel to strong about our ability to rush the passer, so I'll have my eyes closely watching how well our secondary does.

[/QUOTE]

If the Patriots drives are clock eaters their offense will get cold.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Russ

I haven't seen LA Confidential in a long time but I will take a look at it soon.

I resonate with your thoughts.  I believe in the character of this team, the ability to fight through things, improvise and be resourceful, find strength, and win. I can't predict the final outcome but the team has already made me proud and I suspect they will continue to. What I take from your post is that we have the weapons to match up and defend against them and we have the offensive versatility to take it to them. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, I think the obvious question is, will BB use Talib on Julius or Demarius again since he knows he has a shutdown option on Demarius already?

It makes some sense to give Julius over to Collins since you know what you have with Talib.

[/QUOTE]

Julius is the wildcard here. The pats will be in sub defense all game. I think you have to put Collins on Julius. julius is too big, and the only corner we have who is over 6 foot is Talib. i think Talib has to stay on demaryius, Collins on Julius. I like to think of Collins as more of that ultra hybrid lb- safety that bb has been looking for. Except he leans more to lb because of his size, and plays the run and pass well. Would it be crazy to use Collins more as a db vs lb in this game, maybe playing instead of a 3rd safety, move nink to lb and use carter with jones?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In response to PatsGoinDownNextWeek's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I see yall are making excuses already talking about "possible BS calls" that the Broncos will get next week.  Just so you know the refs haven't been kind to the Broncos for weeks.  Today they blew two calls (the fumble after Thomas' butt hit the ground) and a penalty for a facemask on Denver when he had his shoulder pad and not the facemask which gave them a first down when it would have been fourth down.  Stop whining about the refs and just play.  Yall have gotten more calls in the playoffs since 2001 then any team in NFL history.  If you want to talk about BS call, the tuck rule call has to be the biggest BS bailout call of NFL history.  Patriots fans have no room to even discuss officiating after all of the calls/non-calls they have gotten over the last 14 years. 

[/QUOTE]

The tuck rule was called correctly according to the existing rules.  Do you think the refs should get to decide what rules they should enforce?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Run the ball down their throats and eventually blount or Ridley will break a big one. We may not need Brady to light up the place. He may just have to avoid turnovers and convert on some third down throws when need be. Good news about this Matchup for the pats is that the broncos are a pass heavy team and the pats secondary is the healthiest part of the defense and has been playing well. Get some pressure on goner and hope he throws up some lollipops like he usually does a few times a game in January. Key thing is to take advantage and get some turnovers when they are there for the taking. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to Mellywitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yep. Sure is.

On offense:

On defense...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the Pats don't keep Manning on the bench for long stretches of the game they will not win...a shootout here is one thing....on enemy territory it's entirely another.....you have to smash them and take their will to win away as much as possible...will we pass...yes, a controlled short passing game with sufficient sideline passes to keep them honest...but we have to run  more than we pass....

[/QUOTE]

I agree strongly with melswitt here. A shootout without Gronk will not end well for the Pats. As much as people mock Manning here that is the highest scoring offense in NFL history. Get the lead, get turnovers and lets hope Blount is on a Terrel Davis type run. Blount and Ridley can't fumble it like they did in the first match up. That stadium will be loud. Brady handles the noise as wella as anyone in NFL history lets hope his new teammates can. The Chargers struggled with it and wasted several time outs trying to make adjustments.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

What does a "shootout with Gronk" even mean?

[/QUOTE]

You know, when Brady throws it 50 times and Gronk catches 7 passes for 90 yards taking 2 defenders with him at all times allowing Edleman to have one of his best games ever and letting Thompkins catch 6 passes and the Pats win by 3 in overtime. Fall behind 24-0 next Sunday again you will see what it looks like without Gronk. Probably be about 40-14 if the Pats get lucky.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What does a "shootout with Gronk" even mean?

[/QUOTE]

You know, when Brady throws it 50 times and Gronk catches 7 passes for 90 yards taking 2 defenders with him at all times allowing Edleman to have one of his best games ever and letting Thompkins catch 6 passes and the Pats win by 3 in overtime. Fall behind 24-0 next Sunday again you will see what it looks like without Gronk. Probably be about 40-14 if the Pats get lucky.

[/QUOTE]

Umm, what?

Your expectation is to turn it over 3 times and pine for Gronk?   Are you deranged?

Why would they want a shootout or to turn it over 3 times like that?

What does that situation and Gronk have to do with Sunday?   This is getting creepy.

Did we have a TE like Gronk in 2003 or 2004?  What on earth has happened to our fanbase?

[/QUOTE]

You should actually try to read posts before commenting or at least refrain from smoking herb before posting. Read before commenting. You won't look like such a tool at all times.