Well we have 8 picks now

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Well we have 8 picks now

We now have 2nd round #52 and 59   3rd round 83 and 91   4th 102   and  7th round #226  #229 and #235.    

This draft is deep I like the move but I couldn't believe Cordarrell Pattersdon fell on our lap. I liked him a lot, but there are plenty of quality receivers we could target

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: Well we have 8 picks now

I liked Patterson, but with his issues staying on focus own this offense could have opened so me problems. Clearly not BB guy and he is more than likely going to trade up into the 2nd for the guy they want.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

A team like the Jets, if they were smart could have made a trade like the Patriots but they didn't. The Jets are god awful and have so many holes to fill. Given that this years draft is so deep they could have really loaded up and improved their roster. I'm certainly not complaining but it just shows why the Jets are the sorry team that they are. Milner is good but that other guy they picked, ouch

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to the-redsox-rule's comment:

A team like the Jets, if they were smart could have made a trade like the Patriots but they didn't. The Jets are god awful and have so many holes to fill. Given that this years draft is so deep they could have really loaded up and improved their roster. I'm certainly not complaining but it just shows why the Jets are the sorry team that they are. Milner is good but that other guy they picked, ouch

Just be be fair here, how do you know the Jets didn't try but nobody wanted to do a deal like that with them?  I didn't like their picks, I thought they had different needs in what they drafted, but whatever, that's their problem.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Sometimes you get lucky and find a diamond in the rough in the later rounds, but for the most part I would have rather took my chances in landing an impact player in the first round instead of a diamond in the rough in the later rounds.

TFB isn't getting any younger, the clock is ticking, they need talent now.  People who can start now and make a difference, not a few players who will take a few years to develop, hoping they will pan out.  They have not attacked this off season or draft with any type of urgency that I thought they would considering TFB's career a few years away from coming to an end.  I thought they would go after quality, not quantity this draft. 

So they swap their 1st for a 2nd, and pick up a 3rd, 4th and a 7th.  Not too excited about that with regards to what I just described above.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Sometimes you get lucky and find a diamond in the rough in the later rounds, but for the most part I would have rather took my chances in landing an impact player in the first round instead of a diamond in the rough in the later rounds.

TFB isn't getting any younger, the clock is ticking, they need talent now.  People who can start now and make a difference, not a few players who will take a few years to develop, hoping they will pan out.  They have not attacked this off season or draft with any type of urgency that I thought they would considering TFB's career a few years away from coming to an end.  I thought they would go after quality, not quantity this draft. 

So they swap their 1st for a 2nd, and pick up a 3rd, 4th and a 7th.  Not too excited about that with regards to what I just described above.

Comment by either Boomer or Gruden during the coverage of the draft about how Minnesota has a 2000 yard rusher and they recognise that they are going to make the most of it and go for it now to take advantage of that small window. Thats why they traded up and got 3 first round picks. Pats seem to be the opposite. Seem to think they will have Brady forever so they can build slowly for a decade or more. Quantity over Quality. I really thought with Brady re structuring his deal they were going to go for it and go all out to take advantage of his few remaining years this offseason via free agency or some big draft day trades. Anyway have to see what pans out but at the moment the Pats would really be relying on Gronk,Hernandez and the new bloke to have almost injury free seasons to be a force on offense to worry the better defenses. Can't really rely on the running game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I agree with dfitzp. I like the trade alot. I liked Cordarrel Patterson alot but knew we wouldnt draft him. BB wants alot of intangibles in his first pick, team Captain, high character, film room junkie etc. What has me excited is I think we will see 2 or 3 of the guys we have been talking about in here for awhile come to New England. Guys like Marcus Wheaton, DJ Swearinger, Jonathan Jenkens Margus Hunt, ect. heck maybe even the honey badger.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Interesting draft all around - some very unequal trades - Oakland vs Buffalo trade backs for example or The cowboys trade back. I think this was a sign that there were only a few times that teams felt a desperate need to move forward for a specidic player or position.

I don't think the Pats liked Patterson - too many minor problems for him to be value at that point on their board. He may develop, but it will take a little time. I could definitely see them moving forward a bit with one of their 2nd rounders for the right receiver. 

I suspect 3 QBs, Lacy, T'eo, an OL, and Cyprien will all get drafted early tomorrow - that is 7 of the 19 picks before that Pats first pick that are of no interest to them. So we have to weather 12 picks for players that might be of interest and I bet their draft board has at least 12 players left that they value in that range for positions of need. A move of only three or four spots forward would increase their chance of scoring one of their highest remaining graded players and the cost for that would not be too great - converting one of their 3rd rounders into another 4th rounder would do it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Anytime you get 4 picks for 1 you fleeced the other team. We need a CB,WR,and DT/DE,and an outside backer who can cover TE's and backs out the backfield. So with that in mind they now have 2- 2nds, 2- Thirds, a Fourth and an additional 7th roud pick. 8 picks over the next two days. Have to make due with the extra picks.In BB we trust!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I am in the camp that views this as a good move.  The value in this draft, as so many who do this for a living have said, is in the second day and beyond.  Pats now have 2 2nds, 2 3rds and a high 4th along with 3 7th rounders where it really is a crap shoot.  Holes to fill and the picks to fill 'em.  We'll see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

The patriots either felt that the players they wanted as a #1 pick were already off the board and/or that the players left were not worthy of #29 overall pick, plus, very little flexibility going into the draft with only 5 original picks.

It will only be a "good" move if they stack up on OLBs/DEs, DBs....and if they even make the roster, and can contribute 2-3 years down the line.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Looks like the Pats weren't sold on anyone in the bottom of the first round (and there were a lot of doubts expressed about most players in this draft), so grabbing a bunch of guys in the mid rounds and seeing if any stick makes sense.  The risk, though, is we'll end up with no one who makes much of a difference at all.  I wouldn't be totally surprised if we don't see some of these newfound picks traded away for picks next year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

The patriots either felt that the players they wanted as a #1 pick were already off the board and/or that the players left were not worthy of #29 overall pick, plus, very little flexibility going into the draft with only 5 original picks.

It will only be a "good" move if they stack up on OLBs/DEs, DBs....and if they even make the roster, and can contribute 2-3 years down the line.

That's what concerns me a bit. When you move down the draft usually it takes longer for a player to develop. Brady has 3-4 years left? Is it worth hoping to find a gem that develops in 2-3 years if Brady only has 3-4 left?

This could be a good or bad trade. If it was for a top 40 pick this would be an excellent trade but in the back of the 2nd and 3rd it can be up for debate on whether the player they cold of had a #29 is better hen the 4 players they get from the trade

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

The draft is a crap shoot, there is no sure thing. We lost one draft pick and got four chances to pick a good or solid player. Who know's, all four of the picks could develope into decent players?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I suspect Patterson wasn't even on the Pat's board. I don't think he fits in well with what they want or the type of player they want. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Now that we have 8 picks we don't need to keep trading back and stock piling more picks. 8 picks is plenty. The patriots are a deep team without too many holes to fill, we don't want to end up cutting half these guys. We just need to target a few positions such as WR, Defensive End, and corner back. Maybe we could move up and grab Robert Woods, or Tank Carradine early in the 2nd.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

That's what concerns me a bit. When you move down the draft usually it takes longer for a player to develop. Brady has 3-4 years left? Is it worth hoping to find a gem that develops in 2-3 years if Brady only has 3-4 left?

This could be a good or bad trade. If it was for a top 40 pick this would be an excellent trade but in the back of the 2nd and 3rd it can be up for debate on whether the player they cold of had a #29 is better hen the 4 players they get from the trade

Agree to a point...who would have you selected at 29 that was left that you feel is a difference maker?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Agree that Buffalo move is just stupid. At least their fans can take solace in the fat they didn't make this pick in their orinal slot and got some decent chips for moving back. But they could have traded back another 15 picks, gotten more chips and still have made this pick.

Reminds me of the TB trade - both these teams started competing with a strawman team they dreamt up and took great satisfaction in outbidding their imagination for a player no one else wanted.

As for the Jets ... it appears that they will have a strong defense again. Problem is, as soon as their opponent scores a field goal the game is effectively over because that offense isn't going to do anything!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Agree to a point...who would have you selected at 29 that was left that you feel is a difference maker?

I really liked Hunt a lot. I get a similar feeling with him as I did with Matthews in 09'. I also liked Jamar Taylor and I heard Hunters and Woods names tossed around with the Pats. If all those guys are gone at #52 then it's a gamble that might not have paid off but if they have a pool of 6 players for that #29 pick and 1 makes it to #52 then well worth the trade. I'm just of the belief if you have a pool of players at #29 and at #52 you have to take your choice of your second pool because of a run early in the 2nd on players you liked then it might not have been worth the trade. Of course we can't see the Pats war room so we have no clue which players they value where but I do know for a certain that the Pats hit rate does decrease after each round and they rarely miss on their 1sts but regularly miss on 2nds and 3rds

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

If it were me drafting now...I would try to use the 91st, 102 and 3 sevenths to move up as much as possible to get the best players.

That haul could net you something like the 38th and 48th pick to go with 83.  That nets you likely one of the top 3 remaining receivers, and either a DT, DE, or DB to build around.  The 83rd I use on OL depth.