Were Giants the better team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Were Giants the better team?

I keep hearing talking heads saying "the Giants were the better team" but I don't know that I buy it.  If Welker catches the ball the Pats probably win and I don't believe that a guy who never drops a pass dropping a pass is evidence the Giants are the better team.  2 fumbles ( I don't count the Cruz 12 men fumble, no point) that the Giants were able to fall on, especially the Bradshaw one, saved the Giants, the Pats didn't put the ball on the ground but the better team did twice?

To me it was a very evenly matched game between 2 good teams.  When you look back both teams were in what seemed to be really bad spots at various points of the game.  The Giants had a couple possessions with a 9-3 lead, where if they score a TD things are starting to look real bad for N.E. but the Pats didn't panick and with the help of a huge holding penalty got themselves in a dominant position, up 17-9.  Just like the Pats, the Giants stayed with their game plan on offense and didn't let the Pats distance themselves.  I don't see it as both teams "missing opportunities" to take control, I just see it as a competitive game between 2 very well coached teams that were able to manage in game situations.

I know it is painfully cliche but in the end it just came down to the Giants making a couple of big plays and getting some good fortune.  I'm a big believer in the old hockey addage that teams "create their own good bounces" so I'm not going to call the Giants lucky but to me the people saying the Giants were clearly the better team wouldn't be saying that if Brady and Welker connect or the Pats fall on 1 of those fumbles.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Were Giants the better team?

On the night of February 5th 2012 yes they were the better team, they won.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nZone. Show nZone's posts

On that day, the Giants were the better team. 

Because of that stupid safety by Brady.  Giants defense played 3 quarters and patriots defense played for 4 quarters.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

No ifs, ands or buts... the 9 - 7 Giants are the BEST TEAM in NFL land!!  They won the SB and that is all that matters to the talking heads who adore NY teams.  You may be able to make a case for teams with better records, but in the end, the Giants played darn good for 6 games when it counted.  They got tons of breaks to end the season and into the playoffs.  Never saw so many things go their way, but, them's the breaks and the Giants took advantage!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

If Welker makes that catch, the Pats win...BUT welker didn't make the catch.

There a lot of if's that if you changed around in the game, the outcome would be different.
    I forget who it was, but in the second half, Manning had a WR in great position for a backshoulder catch, slight miscommunication, and the ball hit the ground...IF manning completed that pass, maybe the Giants score a touchdown on that drive.
    That Welker drop was on 2nd Down. There was a 1st and 3rd down to get the first down too.
    Both teams made mistakes during the game...The Giants didn't let theirs beat them. Giants were the better team...unfortunately

Giants were the better team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

not just once, but twice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Were Giants the better team?:
    [QUOTE]No ifs, ands or buts... the 9 - 7 Giants are the BEST TEAM in NFL land!!  They won the SB and that is all that matters to the talking heads who adore NY teams.  You may be able to make a case for teams with better records, but in the end, the Giants played darn good for 6 games when it counted.  They got tons of breaks to end the season and into the playoffs.  Never saw so many things go their way, but, them's the breaks and the Giants took advantage!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

I'm in no way disputing that the Giants are the NFL champions and with the 6 game run they just had, they aboslutely it.

My point is that all the people saying the Giants were/are the better team, wouldn't be saying that if Brady and Welker connect on that pass or if they fall on 1 of the fumbles.  My take is it was a tight game, executed by 2 very good coaches, where someone is going to win and someone is going to lose. 

If the Giants were really that superior of a team, they wouldn't have let the Pats off the mat when it was 9-0.  If the Pats catch a miracle hail mary on the last play the Pats are then the better team? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Perhaps going in the Patriots were the better team, but coming out of it the Giants were.

The Super Bowl awards the trophy to the best team that day.  That was clearly the Giants.  The better team made the plays.  Made fewer mistakes.  Scored more points.

If, and, and but all you want, that's the way it is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

The Giants have more skill players, or playmakers. The Pats are young. They will be better going forward. To recover three fumbles is plain lucky. We could have been talking about how careless with the ball they were. I don't expect to see them back in the Super Bowl. NFC is too tough.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

The Giants were the better team because they were able to control the tempo of the game and make the game be played a pace and at a score that gave them the best chance to win.

The Patriots best chance to win was with a game in the high 20's or more being scored. The Giants did not allow that to happen by controlling the clock on offense and eating up yards on every possession leaving the Patriots with bad field position.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]Perhaps going in the Patriots were the better team, but coming out of it the Giants were. The Super Bowl awards the trophy to the best team that day.  That was clearly the Giants.  The better team made the plays.  Made fewer mistakes.  Scored more points. If, and, and but all you want, that's the way it is.
    Posted by chuchos[/QUOTE]
    That is the problem with a "one and done" playoff system.  The BEST team does not always survive because of the bounces of the ball, so as to speak.  Giants got all kinds of breaks:  Playing the floundering Cowboys and Jets to end the season and get into the playoffs, Atlanta stinking up the joint, Packers played their worst game of the season, 49ers gift wrapped two punt return fumbles inside their own 25 to give the Giants 10 points and the Pats not able to make big plays like the Giants or not recover a single one of the 4 fumbles the Giants had. (one recovering overturned on a Pats penalty).  Think about it, the Giants won the SB with team records of 10 - 6 and 9 - 7 when there were teams in each conference who had at least 14 - 2 records those seasons and didn't look dominating doing it.  Regardless, it is all in the history books for NY fans to crow about!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Were Giants the better team? : That is the problem with a "one and done" playoff system.  The BEST team does not always survive because of the bounces of the ball, so as to speak.  Giants got all kinds of breaks:  Playing the floundering Cowboys and Jets to end the season and get into the playoffs, Atlanta stinking up the joint, Packers played their worst game of the season, 49ers gift wrapped two punt return fumbles inside their own 25 to give the Giants 10 points and the Pats not able to make big plays like the Giants or not recover a single one of the 4 fumbles the Giants had. (one recovering overturned on a Pats penalty).  Think about it, the Giants won the SB with team records of 10 - 6 and 9 - 7 when there were teams in each conference who had at least 14 - 2 records those seasons and didn't look dominating doing it.  Regardless, it is all in the history books for NY fans to crow about!!!

The nature of football is 1 and done scenarios.  It was what makes football football.  Any given Sunday, etc......

When you say a team got lucky 6 weeks in a row you sound like a bitter whiner.  The Falcons and Packers playing bad against the Giants had nothing to do with the Giants?  Come on man.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR59. Show JAR59's posts

To all those saying the Giants were "lucky".

Yes, it's true, some bounces went their way.

Were the Patriots not also the beneficiaries of "luck" when Cundifff misses a chip shot field goal, and Evans drops a sure TD catch?

It works both ways, and it all evens out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

A bounce here a catch there and we win the game. So are they the better team not really just more fortunate on that Sunday. One way to look at it is what was the margin of defeat in all of their losses vs the margin of defeat in all of the Pats losses.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]No ifs, ands or buts... the 9 - 7 Giants are the BEST TEAM in NFL land!!  They won the SB and that is all that matters to the talking heads who adore NY teams.  You may be able to make a case for teams with better records, but in the end, the Giants played darn good for 6 games when it counted.  They got tons of breaks to end the season and into the playoffs.  Never saw so many things go their way, but, them's the breaks and the Giants took advantage!

I'm very proud of the Pats. Despite being without an effective Gronk, they gave the Giants all they could handle. With any kind of breaks, they would have won.

Without Gronk at 100%, the Giants are clearly the better team. Gronk was Brady's #1 weapon all season long. With him ineffective, it exposed the Pats' weakness at WR.

That said, you've got to give the G-men credit. They beat the (15-1) Packers and (14-3) 49ers on the road, to get their shot at the 15-3 Pats.  I don't think the Patriots would have beaten the Ravens if they had to play the game in Baltimore.

Tom Brady needs more weapons to beat the better teams. The Patriots need to add a pass-rusher, WRs (plural), and need to upgrade at RB. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yes, obviously.  The Giants are a more balanced team, with better talent in nearly all positions. The Pats were in the Super Bowl because of great coaching.  A lot of posters are blaming the coaches for not winning (mostly because they supposedly didn't call enough runs and let Brady throw too much).  Instead they should be praising the coaches for going so far with a very flawed team.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Were Giants the better team?:
    [QUOTE]I keep hearing talking heads saying "the Giants were the better team" but I don't know that I buy it.  If Welker catches the ball the Pats probably win and I don't believe that a guy who never drops a pass dropping a pass is evidence the Giants are the better team.  2 fumbles ( I don't count the Cruz 12 men fumble, no point) that the Giants were able to fall on, especially the Bradshaw one, saved the Giants, the Pats didn't put the ball on the ground but the better team did twice? To me it was a very evenly matched game between 2 good teams.  When you look back both teams were in what seemed to be really bad spots at various points of the game.  The Giants had a couple possessions with a 9-3 lead, where if they score a TD things are starting to look real bad for N.E. but the Pats didn't panick and with the help of a huge holding penalty got themselves in a dominant position, up 17-9.  Just like the Pats, the Giants stayed with their game plan on offense and didn't let the Pats distance themselves.  I don't see it as both teams "missing opportunities" to take control, I just see it as a competitive game between 2 very well coached teams that were able to manage in game situations. I know it is painfully cliche but in the end it just came down to the Giants making a couple of big plays and getting some good fortune.  I'm a big believer in the old hockey addage that teams "create their own good bounces" so I'm not going to call the Giants lucky but to me the people saying the Giants were clearly the better team wouldn't be saying that if Brady and Welker connect or the Pats fall on 1 of those fumbles.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Yes, they were the better team. Mainly because they are talking about "ifs" right now.

And yes, had the Pats won, they would have been the better team because they executed when they had to. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]To all those saying the Giants were "lucky". Yes, it's true, some bounces went their way. Were the Patriots not also the beneficiaries of "luck" when Cundifff misses a chip shot field goal, and Evans drops a sure TD catch? It works both ways, and it all evens out.
    Posted by JAR59[/QUOTE]

See, you are wrong here. If there is no defender, Evans does not "drop" the ball. The defender stripped the ball. That isn't luck and it isn't a drop. The missed FG was luck.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Were Giants the better team? : The nature of football is 1 and done scenarios.  It was what makes football football.  Any given Sunday, etc...... When you say a team got lucky 6 weeks in a row you sound like a bitter whiner.  The Falcons and Packers playing bad against the Giants had nothing to do with the Giants?  Come on man.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]
    Didn't say LUCKY, fortunate to get the bounces.  The Giants played well to deserve their wins.  One wonders if all the teams they played were at their A game level.  Who among the teams the Giants defeated in this run were at their A game and you just said.. " Whoa, what a game, both teams deserved to win??"  Did you feel the Pats gave it their best and they were simply beaten because the Giants were at their best and their best is better than the Pats best?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Brady is the better QB.  The Giants have the better team, along with plenty of others.  Brady just makes the Pats look much better than they really are.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

No real run game.  No real secondary.  No real deep threat.  All season.

And they came one/two plays away from winning the Super Bowl.  Pretty great in my opinion.  I for one am proud of the heart and soul they put into it, and no one gave them a chance.

I look forward to next season.

25. This post has been removed.