Wes Welker appears ready to test Free Agency!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Wes Welker appears ready to test Free Agency!!

Per Pro Football Talk...

Despite some talk that the Patriots and receiver Wes Welker were trying to work out an agreement on a long-term contract before Welker becomes an unrestricted free agent on March 12, that doesn’t appear likely to happen.

Multiple reports surfaced on Wednesday morning that Welker was going to hit the market, with Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald reporting that nothing is imminent between the Patriots and Welker, and Adam Schefter of ESPN reporting that Welker has no plans to re-sign with New England before free agency starts.

It’s not surprising that Welker would want to find out what he’s worth on the open market, especially given that he reportedly has some trust issues with the Patriots. At the very least, Welker would be wise to wait until Saturday, when the “legal tampering” window opens, to see what kind of deal might be out there for him.

That doesn’t mean he won’t end up staying: He’s probably a better fit in the Patriots’ offense than he is anywhere else. But he appears ready to at least find out if some other team thinks he can be more valuable elsewhere than he is in New England.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Wes Welker appears ready to test Free Agency!!

Gotta love the sports media.  Yesterday reports were coming out that a deal was close, now this. 

Who do ya believe these days?

If this is true then it's not a good sign.  We know TFB redid his deal to free up money probably to get Welker back.  And now that doesn't look good.  Are the Pats low balling him?  Is Welker asking for too much?  I guess we will wait it out and see.  But if he leaves NE it is going to cause a big void to fill.  As a Patriots fan, this is not a good report to read this morning!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

can't blame him really. I'm sure the Pats put their final offer on the table (the close deal reported) and said here you go we won't negotiate anymore and Welker just wants to see his value on the open market before deciding whether to sign or not. Now the interesting thing is there is a 3day legal tampering period starting the 9th. If Welker doesn't hear sweet talk from other teams you might see him sign on the 11th, trying to squeeze a couple more dimes out of the Pats, but if he gets an offer he likes I have no doubt the Pats will sign Amendola and resign Edelman and hope that at least 1 can stay healthy all season. Now it's just a matter of chicken but I think we will know about Welker a couple hours after FA starts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Honest question, because I can't remember, but when was the last time the Pats had a relatively big name FA hit the open market and resign with the team?

Again, I don't remember. Could have happened last year for all I know.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

can't blame him really. I'm sure the Pats put their final offer on the table (the close deal reported) and said here you go we won't negotiate anymore and Welker just wants to see his value on the open market before deciding whether to sign or not. Now the interesting thing is there is a 3day legal tampering period starting the 9th. If Welker doesn't hear sweet talk from other teams you might see him sign on the 11th, trying to squeeze a couple more dimes out of the Pats, but if he gets an offer he likes I have no doubt the Pats will sign Amendola and resign Edelman and hope that at least 1 can stay healthy all season. Now it's just a matter of chicken but I think we will know about Welker a couple hours after FA starts

Exactly.  That is pretty much how NE does buisness when it comes to contract negotiations.  It may tick players, fans, and other teams off, but it is a proven method that allows them to build the most COMPLETE roster possible without getting into salary cap trouble.  If there is a team willing to significantly beat NE's offer for Welker, then he will be wearing a different jersey next year, simple as that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Per Pro Football Talk...

Despite some talk that the Patriots and receiver Wes Welker were trying to work out an agreement on a long-term contract before Welker becomes an unrestricted free agent on March 12, that doesn’t appear likely to happen.

Multiple reports surfaced on Wednesday morning that Welker was going to hit the market, with Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald reporting that nothing is imminent between the Patriots and Welker, and Adam Schefter of ESPN reporting that Welker has no plans to re-sign with New England before free agency starts.

It’s not surprising that Welker would want to find out what he’s worth on the open market, especially given that he reportedly has some trust issues with the Patriots. At the very least, Welker would be wise to wait until Saturday, when the “legal tampering” window opens, to see what kind of deal might be out there for him.

That doesn’t mean he won’t end up staying: He’s probably a better fit in the Patriots’ offense than he is anywhere else. But he appears ready to at least find out if some other team thinks he can be more valuable elsewhere than he is in New England.

For a pro athlete to be considered "elite" is quite an honor but with that moniker comes the task of REMAINING on top. In addition, staying humble and realistic about ones strengths should also include the reality that everyone is somewhat flawed. The magnitude of the "flaws" can be  influenced by health, age etc. and ones perception of himself must likewise be cognizent of "father time".

Wes Welker seems to be at the precipice of losing his "elite" status due to age and the wear/tear of football. He, like Randy Moss, (and other aging Patriots who felt underappreciated) has an unrealistic opinion of his ability to perpetuate those  skills and value. He fails to recognize that his talents will be waning in the years ahead. His reluctance to face reality may be doing the Pats a favor as he leaves town. I hate to see him go but the timing could be right for him and the Patriots.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

It's comical to read the fans on here who are almost giddy when they think of patriots football post welker. They will be dancing at there desks after this. What amazes me is how easily they think his production will be recovered by a cast of unknowns and pups/Ir's. I have a news flash based on the law of averages...have fun with that.   In life as well as football the tried and true axiom that past performance predicts future performance pertains to almost everything. Edelman, Hernandez, amendola, most player "x's" WILL NOT give you the level of play that Wes does. They either are not talented enough or are not able to stay healthy. Facts not opinion. To those who say we will morph into a more down the field team or a grinding/running offense I say Good luck. Wes has his flaws but the devil you know...

Now, let the dancing begin.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to Gravelten4's comment:

It's comical to read the fans on here who are almost giddy when they think of patriots football post welker. They will be dancing at there desks after this. What amazes me is how easily they think his production will be recovered by a cast of unknowns and pups/Ir's. I have a news flash based on the law of averages...have fun with that.   In life as well as football the tried and true axiom that past performance predicts future performance pertains to almost everything. Edelman, Hernandez, amendola, most player "x's" WILL NOT give you the level of play that Wes does. They either are not talented enough or are not able to stay healthy. Facts not opinion. To those who say we will morph into a more down the field team or a grinding/running offense I say Good luck. Wes has his flaws but the devil you know...

Who's celebrating if Wes leaves? All that most of us are saying is that he isn't worth huge money, not at his age. 10 mil plus would be crazy to give Welker.  I personally believe he is worth about 7 mil over the next 3-4 years.  I would LOVE to have him back for that, and to retire as a Patriot for that matter.  Any more money than that starts to really hamper NE when it comes to signing say a quality CB, FS, outside WR, DT, etc.  It's all about putting together the best Team possible.  No one manages the cap and roster better than NE.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

When Welker goes out and tests the free agency market, and he gets an offer of whatver amount that is better than what the Pats front office is presently offering, does he go and see if the Pats will match it, or is he obliged to take that offer because the Pats had already had their chance?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Who's celebrating if Wes leaves? All that most of us are saying is that he isn't worth huge money, not at his age. 10 mil plus would be crazy to give Welker.  I personally believe he is worth about 7 mil over the next 3-4 years.  I would LOVE to have him back for that, and to retire as a Patriot for that matter.  Any more money than that starts to really hamper NE when it comes to signing say a quality CB, FS, outside WR, DT, etc.  It's all about putting together the best Team possible.  No one manages the cap and roster better than NE.

Give it a few minutes for this post to take hold. You will see.

mind you, I am not advocating signing him for anything beyond 7-8 mill per- I'm just saying his production  and value to Brady is off the charts and not easily replaced by the group of guys most commonly mentioned. Not impossible by any stretch but it creates a massive hole.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Wes gets a larger offer from some desperate team than what NE is offering him.  The question is whether or not the difference is large enough that he would want to leave NE to chase a few extra dollars (particulary if those extra dollars are not guaranteed).  I appreciate Wes' contributions to the team, but if the reports about what NE has offered him are true and he still walks I say let him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wazz is right, I think most of us would love to have Wes back, but at the right price. We aren't the Jets who make horrible deals just to keep players (Holmes, Sanchez). We all know how hard it would be to replace Welker's production. But look at it this way, say Hern takes over Welkers role and gives 80% of what Welker gave. Now you take that 10mil you would have given to Welker and it go get a Reed or Goldson and you also sign Talib or DCR or Houston or Lewis. What's the better overall upgrade for the team? That's how fans justify it. We've gotten use to the BB way. Take a hit one place to raise the overall performance of the team. It's a team first mentality and that 10mil could be used to better improve the team overall then just to have Welker back. Now say the team offers 7mil and Welker wants 8mil well that 1mil difference you aren't going to be able to upgrade another position so I'd rather have Welker back but say the team offer 7mil and Welker wants 10+mil well that 3mil difference could be a Reed or if structured right a Goldson or could mean the difference between signing a top tier CB and signing a nickel corner

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Wes will look awful if he leaves after Brady restructured. Just saying.  Brady, Kraft, etc, can deny all day long it had nothign to do with trying to get Welker signed, but it did.

Pats have the leverage and I am not sure Wes understands that.  

I'm not sure he will. It really depends on the difference in what the Pats offer vs what he gets in the end. If the difference is minor (like 1mil a year for the same amount of years) I'd agree he'd look bad, but if we are talking 20+% different I doubt anyone will blame him. If he gets 10mil from some place and we only offered 7mil then in my eyes the organization offered him a fair deal but someone offered him much more and who could blame him to take that much more. Then of course comes the reverse if they offer him 4mil and he takes a reasonable deal from some place else in the 7-8mil range then I think it looks bad or the organization given what Brady gave up

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I am still optimistic that this deal will get done.  This deal is following the trail we have seen in the past with the media.  We have seen reports close to a deal, then a player and team are far apart then the next theing we see out of nowhere a deal is done.  Hope that is the case here.

Not so sure how the Patriots will take this.  If it's their idea for him to test the market to see what he can and decide what to do at that point then that's fine and a good road to go down if they aren't ready to jump on a big deal.  But if they threw out some good numbers to Welker and he declined, instead wanting to test the market then this could be trouble.  Not so sure the Patriots would like that and be willing to keep their offer in play at that point.

One thing is for sure, if these reports are true then I'm not feeling as good about Welker rejoining the Patriots as I was just one day ago.  Edelman and Amendola are not the answer.  I have zero faith in their ability to remain on the field.  Not sure where all Welkers production will come from.  We hope if Welker is gone someone can step up but I don't see Edelman or Amendola getting anywhere near Welkers production, Hernandez really can't be counted on to get a bulk of that, he has yet to play a full season and his numbers were cut in half last season due to it, and is Gronk going to be able to stay healthy and get back to his 2011 numbers?  And then there is Lloyd, looks like he might be gone too.  A whole lot of HUGE question marks here, folks.  The player you can count on week after week, season after season is Welker.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Wes will look awful if he leaves after Brady restructured. Just saying.  Brady, Kraft, etc, can deny all day long it had nothign to do with trying to get Welker signed, but it did.

Pats have the leverage and I am not sure Wes understands that.  

I'm not sure he will. It really depends on the difference in what the Pats offer vs what he gets in the end. If the difference is minor (like 1mil a year for the same amount of years) I'd agree he'd look bad, but if we are talking 20+% different I doubt anyone will blame him. If he gets 10mil from some place and we only offered 7mil then in my eyes the organization offered him a fair deal but someone offered him much more and who could blame him to take that much more. Then of course comes the reverse if they offer him 4mil and he takes a reasonable deal from some place else in the 7-8mil range then I think it looks bad or the organization given what Brady gave up

I agree with you on this PatsEng.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Pats won 3 Superbowls without Welker. No problem there. Hope they go back to that Offense. Not a knock on Welker either, hope things work out for him.

^ This. Cannot believe how many people think our offense will just be stuck in 1st gear once Wes leaves...smh. They really are brainwashed. Its one thing to have an offense built for passing and using Wes more and running less but catching 120 balls a year hasnt won us anything and makes us less physical because defenses would rather smack around an 180 lb WR all day than to tackle a 225 lb back over and over. We won 3 SBs with a consistent run game, play action and a relentless D that got after Qbs and created lots of turnovers. Now we just get turnovers , and our run game isnt effective in postseason due to not being the focal point it used to be

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I don't blame Welker for wanting to gauge his worth, and somebody may absolutely blow him away with a FA offer.  It may be that he has to choose between more dollars and the security of playing in NE with Brady and Belichick.  Not a bad position to be in. 

I don't want Welker to leave, but I also wouldn't mind an offense that was more run-heavy and predicated around spreading the ball to a number of receivers.  Maybe Welker sees that with Gronk and Hernandez seemingly the primary focus of the passing game, and with guys like Edelman getting more PT, that the writing is on the wall.  Maybe the Pats view him as a cog in the machine and not the main spring. 

As someone said yesterday, the contract offer the Pats make should ultimately tell Welker how the Pats plan to use him moving forward.  Barring injuries, I don't think they want him catching 100+ balls.  He can either accept his role and the Pats' offer or he can choose to pursue money and success elsewhere. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Pats won 3 Superbowls without Welker. No problem there. Hope they go back to that Offense. Not a knock on Welker either, hope things work out for him.

What's up bobbysu!?!?!

That was a while ago, I think things have changed a lot in the league since then and certainly the Patriots would have to change a lot of things to get back to what they did back then and I don't see them being able to make those changes for this season and compete for a SB.  It will take time for them to get things changed.  They are sooo close with what they have now, they are on the verge of going all the way, just a few tweaks here and there.  If you take Welker out of it then there is a lot more then a few tweaks to make.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I am still optimistic that this deal will get done.  This deal is following the trail we have seen in the past with the media.  We have seen reports close to a deal, then a player and team are far apart then the next theing we see out of nowhere a deal is done.  Hope that is the case here.

Not so sure how the Patriots will take this.  If it's their idea for him to test the market to see what he can and decide what to do at that point then that's fine and a good road to go down if they aren't ready to jump on a big deal.  But if they threw out some good numbers to Welker and he declined, instead wanting to test the market then this could be trouble.  Not so sure the Patriots would like that and be willing to keep their offer in play at that point.

One thing is for sure, if these reports are true then I'm not feeling as good about Welker rejoining the Patriots as I was just one day ago.  Edelman and Amendola are not the answer.  I have zero faith in their ability to remain on the field.  Not sure where all Welkers production will come from.  We hope if Welker is gone someone can step up but I don't see Edelman or Amendola getting anywhere near Welkers production, Hernandez really can't be counted on to get a bulk of that, he has yet to play a full season and his numbers were cut in half last season due to it, and is Gronk going to be able to stay healthy and get back to his 2011 numbers?  A whole lot of HUGE question marks here, folks.  The player you can count on week after week, season after season is Welker.

Precisely. This fact Is minimized.

We live in a fantasy sports world where we think we can add player 1 and player 2 together and obtain the production that was lost. Just not reality. There are a lot of layers to peel back and account for when you lose talent.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

Wazz is right, I think most of us would love to have Wes back, but at the right price. We aren't the Jets who make horrible deals just to keep players (Holmes, Sanchez). We all know how hard it would be to replace Welker's production. But look at it this way, say Hern takes over Welkers role and gives 80% of what Welker gave. Now you take that 10mil you would have given to Welker and it go get a Reed or Goldson and you also sign Talib or DCR or Houston or Lewis. What's the better overall upgrade for the team? That's how fans justify it. We've gotten use to the BB way. Take a hit one place to raise the overall performance of the team. It's a team first mentality and that 10mil could be used to better improve the team overall then just to have Welker back. Now say the team offers 7mil and Welker wants 8mil well that 1mil difference you aren't going to be able to upgrade another position so I'd rather have Welker back but say the team offer 7mil and Welker wants 10+mil well that 3mil difference could be a Reed or if structured right a Goldson or could mean the difference between signing a top tier CB and signing a nickel corner

Good points. Good options.