Wes Welker leads the league in dropped passes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Wes Welker leads the league in dropped passes

It really surprised me when I read this article by Mike Reiss from ESPNBoston.com:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Receiver Wes Welker's remarkable return from a torn ACL has him in the discussion for Comeback Player of the Year honors. Welker leads the Patriots with 86 receptions and 848 yards. He also has seven touchdowns.

There is one other category in which Welker tops the charts, and it's one that he doesn't want: Dropped passes.

According to ESPN Stats & Information tracking, Welker has dropped 11 passes this season, which is a league high among all pass-catchers. Three of those drops came Sunday in Buffalo.

The dropped passes leaderboard:

Wes Welker (Patriots) -- 11 drops/123 targets
    Miles Austin (Cowboys) -- 10 drops/115 targets
    Steve Johnson (Bills) -- 9 drops/130 targets
    Steve Smith (Panthers) -- 9 drops/95 targets
    Marques Colston (Saints) -- 9 drops/128 targets
    Dustin Keller (Jets) -- 9 drops/98 targets

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: Wes Welker leads the league in dropped passes

It only stands out to us because we are used to him having Velcro hands. We feel it uncharacteristic because he has set the bar so high for himself and set us up with unrealistic perfection expectations over the past 3 years.

The thing to me that stands out is that Welker did not miraculously come back form one serious injury but TWO. Everyone talks about his ACL only. I am amazed how he has come back from his torn rotator cuff surgery as well.

He's had to stretch out and reach for receptions, have the strength back in the shoulder and down the arm to the hand, the toughness and strength to absorb the punishing blows to the shoulder of tackles and during blocking.

Dude's a warrior. Neither one of his recoveries from those surgeries is a walk in the park.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"That's because Brady throws really hard"  Edelman apologist

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

"That's because Brady throws really hard." - Wes Welker apologist

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Wes Welker leads the league in dropped passes:
    [QUOTE]It really surprised me when I read this article by Mike Reiss from ESPNBoston.com:  FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- ... The dropped passes leaderboard: Wes Welker (Patriots) -- 11 drops/123 targets Miles Austin (Cowboys) -- 10 drops/115 targets Steve Johnson (Bills) -- 9 drops/130 targets Steve Smith (Panthers) -- 9 drops/95 targets Marques Colston (Saints) -- 9 drops/128 targets Dustin Keller (Jets) -- 9 drops/98 targets

Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty good group of receivers on that list. I'd take any of them on my team. One other thing about this stat that is deceiving: Take Steve Smith, he might have had 130 targets, but how many were actually catchable passes? His QBs were very inaccurate, so maybe half of those passes were actually catchable, whereas maybe 80% of Brady's passes could have been caught by Welker. Thus Smith dropped a much higher percentage of catchable balls than did Welker. 

I think literally half of Steve Johnson's drops were in one game (Pitt). Otherwise, he was pretty good. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lafnboy. Show lafnboy's posts

wow! 11 whole passes! fire the bum!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

I'm just glad he got them all out of his system before the Playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Actually, Reiss is wrong. Ines Sainz leads the league in dropped "passes".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Bored, so I did the math: Steve Smith has 46 receptions and 9 drops in 130 targets. Welker has 86 and 11 in 123. So that means 55 of Smith's 130 targets (42%) were catchable, whereas 97 of Welker's 123 (79%) were catchable. Smith dropped 16% of catchable passes and Welker dropped 11%. 

The other guys on the list:

Austin: 13%

Johnson: 10%

Colston: 10%

Keller: 14% 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

release him

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Dude is the epitome of what is great about the Pats. That said, he had a woeful game last Sunday, but that said, everyone is allowed a bad day once in a while.
    Frankly, I have seen more stinkers from the likes of T. Brady, J. Lester, P. Pierce, R. Allen, or any other stud who hangs his hat in Beantown, than I have from Welker. He is a champ, and his comeback has been astounding, even arguably one of the expressions of leadership on that team that makes them the overachievers they are.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Now there's a stat made up by someone with way too much time on their hands.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I agree with what a few others have pointed out. Anyone with that many receptions and around 10 drops is doing great. 

He doesn't drop balls. That's what was strange about the Buffalo game where he dropped 3. 

Oh well, 1 bad game. 

I'm not sure why everyone is trying to dig this stuff up after 1 bad game. 

If he strings together 3 bad games then it gets my attention. 

I suppose everyone wants to cut Welker now just like they wanted to send BB packing at the beginning of the season, and wanted to cut Brady in favor of Cassell. Par for the coarse here. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm not worried about Wes; it's a miracle the guy has even stepped on the field this year, never mind catching almost 90 balls. If he didn't spend the first couple of years in the league riding the bench and waiver wire we'd be talking about a guy with 800 catches at the age of thirty!! Amazing. I think if he can stay healthy he'll get close to a thousand.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

This is one of those statistics that is better treated as a percentage than a raw number.  Drops will rise with the number of passes thrown to you.  On a percentage basis, I think Welker is just fine.  He did have one bad game in Buffalo, though, where he uncharacteristically dropped two or three.  When you're talking about season-long numbers around 10, a few extra drops in one uncharacteristic game will really skew the average. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

No one in their right mind could actually be worried about this.

But I'm shocked that Stone Hands Cotchery is not on the list.  How can that be?  I've only watched about five Jets games and I swear he has had multiple drops in each of them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

"Trade Welker" - Irrational Pats Fan

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Seriously just cut him. He has no trade value!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Pats receivers have been dropping passes more often this year.  You have to give some credit to Brady for how well he's done despite that.  I saw about a month ago that the Patriots were leading the league in dropped passes.  It just happens I guess.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Wes Welker leads the league in dropped passes:
    [QUOTE]It really surprised me when I read this article by Mike Reiss from ESPNBoston.com:  FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Receiver Wes Welker's remarkable return from a torn ACL has him in the discussion for Comeback Player of the Year honors. Welker leads the Patriots with 86 receptions and 848 yards. He also has seven touchdowns. There is one other category in which Welker tops the charts, and it's one that he doesn't want: Dropped passes. According to ESPN Stats & Information tracking, Welker has dropped 11 passes this season, which is a league high among all pass-catchers. Three of those drops came Sunday in Buffalo. The dropped passes leaderboard: Wes Welker (Patriots) -- 11 drops/123 targets Miles Austin (Cowboys) -- 10 drops/115 targets Steve Johnson (Bills) -- 9 drops/130 targets Steve Smith (Panthers) -- 9 drops/95 targets Marques Colston (Saints) -- 9 drops/128 targets Dustin Keller (Jets) -- 9 drops/98 targets
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

While it's not a category anyone want's lead the league in...I'd take any of the guys on the list above on my team...

Some persepctive...Welker drops less than 1% (11/123) of the balls thrown to him...or another way of looking at it he fails to catch 13% (11/86) of the balls he could catch. No need to qualify it, there's times when the balls he drops are lasers or in a crowd and he gets pasted...some are simply his fault due to trying to run before securing the ball or  he simply didn't look the ball all the way into his hands...trade the bum!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Probably 8 of those were in the first few games when Brady was throwing the ball at everyones feet.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

The stat I like is 86 catches and a whole bunch of those were for 1st downs. Maybe somebody can figure out how many and how that compares with other receivers in the league?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

In Response to Re: Wes Welker leads the league in dropped passes:
    [QUOTE] The stat I like is 86 catches and a whole bunch of those were for 1st downs. Maybe somebody can figure out how many and how that compares with other receivers in the league?
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Well Brady spreads the ball to everyone so you cant really compare first downs either because Roddy White has 22 more 1st downs than Welker. It would be nice to see a stat that said how many first downs they catch in traffic. There isn't a WR in the league that goes over the middle more than Welker.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

They don't count balls outside of the frame. 

Welker has had some dropsies this season, but he is also coming back from a terrible injury. I still think throwing to Wes is the best option when the game is tight. 

The real player with dropsies is Edelman and after that Tate, then Hernandez. They drop a much higher percentage. And a lot of their drops, especially Tate, haven't been passes in heavy traffic, like Wes.

But Ne leads the league in drops per attempt as a team by a wide margin. Part of that is that the offense is a bunch of rookies, and Wes has been uncharacteristically sloppy this season. Still, amazingly, they are a ruthlessly efficient offense.