Wes Welker says there's "no telling" when he can return

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/11/wes-welker-says-theres-no-telling-when-he-can-return/

Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker suffered a torn ACL just over four months ago, and New England's regular-season opener is just over four months from now. So Welker would love to think he's at the halfway point in his recovery process.

But Welker says he really doesn't know how close he is to being ready to get back on the field.

"It's so early right now, it's hard to put any sort of timetable on it," Welker told the Oklahoman. "My main deal is just working hard and putting myself in the best position possible to be ready whenever I'm ready. No telling when that's going to be or how long it's going to take, but all I can do is just work hard."

Welker had reconstructive knee surgery in February, and he also needed offseason shoulder surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. He says he's able to jog now and that he's generally pleased with the progress he's made.

"I'm happy about where we are," he said. "Hopefully, we can just continue to have positive days and keep moving forward."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Re: Wes Welker says there's "no telling" when he can return

This is great news... We'll have him for the second half push  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

so i assume he goes on the PuP list and is eligible to come back around week 6 or 7?

its going to be interesting how he is able to cut and move down field

my guess is that he wont be his old self until 2011 if ever again...such a shame for such a good player and man

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Wes Welker says there's "no telling" when he can return:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/11/wes-welker-says-theres-no-telling-when-he-can-return/ Wes Welker says there's "no telling" when he can return Posted by Michael David Smith on May 11, 2010 7:10 AM ET Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker suffered a torn ACL just over four months ago, and New England's regular-season opener is just over four months from now. So Welker would love to think he's at the halfway point in his recovery process. But Welker says he really doesn't know how close he is to being ready to get back on the field. "It's so early right now, it's hard to put any sort of timetable on it," Welker told the Oklahoman . "My main deal is just working hard and putting myself in the best position possible to be ready whenever I'm ready. No telling when that's going to be or how long it's going to take, but all I can do is just work hard." Welker had reconstructive knee surgery in February, and he also needed offseason shoulder surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff . He says he's able to jog now and that he's generally pleased with the progress he's made. "I'm happy about where we are," he said. "Hopefully, we can just continue to have positive days and keep moving forward."
    Posted by Hoier

Here's more on Welker:
    http://www.newsok.com/jenni-carlson-dont-count-wes-welker-out/article/3460377?custom_click=pod_headline_nfl-news

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Wes Welker says there's "no telling" when he can return:
    Let's pretend he doesn't come back until 2011 and put more on Edelman, Tate and the TEs until then. I'd rather see the Wes of old in 2011 then see a struggling Wes and possibly reinjuring himself in 2010.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan

agreed, even as a phins fan...id rather beat you guys with welker at full speed :-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I look forward to seeing Wes out there for the second half of the season.  One of my fav Pat's players!

He is still listed in the players list for the American Century Golf Championship in Lake Tahoe, the list was updated 5/7/10.  I will be curious to see if he still attends this.  Met him last year and talked with him for a while, cool guy and hopefully he will attend this year so I can get the scoop first hand to how he is doing. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Going-the-Distance. Show Going-the-Distance's posts

thinking they should shut him down for the 2010 season so he (1) won't re-injure the knee by coming back too early and (2) so that he'll be 100% for 2011...if Wes doesn't play in 2010, it will allow Edelman and Tate to continue their progression from last year as well as allowing Gronkowski, Hernandez and Price to develop and contribute more significantly this year...under this scenario, our young talent sees the field more often and will (hopefully) develop accordingly...this may be the best scenario for the team and Wes in the long run...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

"My main deal is just working hard and putting myself in  the best position possible to be ready whenever I'm ready."

I'm speechless.

I am without speech.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Ideally, I'd love to see him sit for 2010 too but it's a win-now business and with Moss possibly leaving after this season, it'd be nice to see it all come together for a run to Dallas. Just saying...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

BB has generally taken an "I don't give a darn" approach to injured players (Ted Johnson, Seymour, Mayo, etc.).  Wes will probably be back after the PUP period even if he's not ready. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Welker is following the same accelerated knee healing path that Brady took.  They probably use the same knee surgeon and the same training staff. 

I predict September, but I could understand a 6 week PUP trip simply because BB has 60 great players to squeeze onto a 53 man roster this year.  It has nothing to do with real injury, just the appearance of injury is good enough for the commish.  It also gives Welker some more time to re-remember route-running and to get rid of the wilies.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldorff. Show waldorff's posts

In Response to Re: Wes Welker says there's "no telling" when he can return:
    Welker is following the same accelerated knee healing path that Brady took.  They probably use the same knee surgeon and the same training staff.  I predict September, but I could understand a 6 week PUP trip simply because BB has 60 great players to squeeze onto a 53 man roster this year.  It has nothing to do with real injury, just the appearance of injury is good enough for the commish.  It also gives Welker some more time to re-remember route-running and to get rid of the wilies.
    Posted by Paul_K

Only 60?  How is he ever going to cut anyone?  Won't it be unfair this year when the entire probowl roster is made up entirely of Patriots?  One question, though, with all of those 'great players' why were we so not great last year?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Well, to begin with half of them weren't on the team or injured.  It should be a physical camp this year with the high competition.  Some names will be released.

There will not be any rush to bring Welker back.  The 3rd WR has been filled and the slot could be interesting as well as Edelman has experience and Hernandez (herby) may have some time in the slot as well.  I really don't see a need to rush Welker back at all.