What about the Pass Rush?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

What about the Pass Rush?

Although I think NE had a pretty solid draft, I'm still wondering what BB plans to do with the pass rush.  It was clearly the biggest issue NE had last year followed by the offensive play calling.  Well I think that they addressed some of the offensive issues, but I dont see any improvement on the pass rush.  Can anyone provide an idea of how NE might address this.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: What about the Pass Rush?

In Response to What about the Pass Rush?:
    Although I think NE had a pretty solid draft, I'm still wondering what BB plans to do with the pass rush.  It was clearly the biggest issue NE had last year followed by the offensive play calling.  Well I think that they addressed some of the offensive issues, but I dont see any improvement on the pass rush.  Can anyone provide an idea of how NE might address this.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

except for mcourty, bb's picks on the d side suggests to me that he sees the run defense as a bigger problem. maybe the lack of run d was manifesting to us spectators as lack of pass rush, when in fact it goes deeper than what we think.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

Sometimes I think that people talk about the pass rush because they have absolutely no understanding about any other part of the game. Seriously , I can walk into a women's salon and even they can tell me about " sacking " the QB. Im sorry , but if you watched any games at all last year and came away thinking , " well all we need is a pass rush " , Id have to call you a moron. And I really think most of these people are because they cant discuss anything else about the Pats. LOL I swear these people hear something from someone who thinks they know what their talking about and repeat it for 12 months straight. C'mon we all know somebody who really thinks they know what their talking about , LOL in fact they think they know more than everybody. Now listen Im not saying we dont have a problem rushing the QB , LOL believe me I noticed , this was evident from day one. Something that Ive been saying for the past 4-5 months is that IMHO this years class of projected OLB's has no stand outs , no guy you have to have. And Ive also been saying that teams wouldnt take any of them in the first and that none are worth a first round pick. In doing my homework and looking over the past ten years of drafts I saw that there have been tons of bust w/ guys that were projected to be OLB's. People dont understand just how hard it is to play the OLB position , especially in the pros. Theres a crazy amount of athletism , skill/talent and understanding that goes in to playing that position. Not to mention the fact that not many college teams that play a version of the 3-4 D. Off the top of my head theres Cal , Utah , Virgina , Nevada , New Mexico and maybe Rice. West Virgina plays a 3-3-5 , the nickel version of a 3-4. Thats one of my favorites(3-3-5) D's and would love to see the Pats switch someday. The thought of a roving S gets me excited LOL! I would have liked to see them go after a guy like Bowman , Norwood or Selvie , but that didnt happen. We need just as much help at the 5 technique as we do at OLB. Hopefully guys like Deaderick , Weston , maybe Pryor and Brace although Im not sure Brace has what it takes. These "know nothing" fans take/act like we had LT and D-Ware coming off the edge when we won our rings. Like most things football it all starts up front and we were no different , back then Sey was an absolute beast and was the most important part of our D , maybe the team! Watch any games from 6-8 years ago and you'll see that he made that entire D go. IMHO hes the best to ever play the 5 technique , so getting a guy like him isnt realistic. We can however , find and coach someone up to be a very solid player at DE. And trust me that makes a big difference when your talking about getting to the QB via OLB. I mean does anyone really believe that the game has past by BB? That he didnt notice our lack of pass rush last year? I wasnt very high on most of the projected OLB's and apparently he didnt think any could help us. I have absolute faith in this man when it comes to anything/everything football.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: What about the Pass Rush?:
    Sometimes I think that people talk about the pass rush because they have absolutely no understanding about any other part of the game. Seriously , I can walk into a women's salon and even they can tell me about " sacking " the QB. Im sorry , but if you watched any games at all last year and came away thinking , " well all we need is a pass rush " , Id have to call you a moron. And I really think most of these people are because they cant discuss anything else about the Pats. LOL I swear these people hear something from someone who thinks they know what their talking about and repeat it for 12 months straight. C'mon we all know somebody who really thinks they know what their talking about , LOL in fact they think they know more than everybody. Now listen Im not saying we dont have a problem rushing the QB , LOL believe me I noticed , this was evident from day one. Something that Ive been saying for the past 4-5 months is that IMHO this years class of projected OLB's has no stand outs , no guy you have to have. And Ive also been saying that teams wouldnt take any of them in the first and that none are worth a first round pick. In doing my homework and looking over the past ten years of drafts I saw that there have been tons of bust w/ guys that were projected to be OLB's. People dont understand just how hard it is to play the OLB position , especially in the pros. Theres a crazy amount of athletism , skill/talent and understanding that goes in to playing that position. Not to mention the fact that not many college teams that play a version of the 3-4 D. Off the top of my head theres Cal , Utah , Virgina , Nevada , New Mexico and maybe Rice. West Virgina plays a 3-3-5 , the nickel version of a 3-4. Thats one of my favorites(3-3-5) D's and would love to see the Pats switch someday. The thought of a roving S gets me excited LOL! I would have liked to see them go after a guy like Bowman , Norwood or Selvie , but that didnt happen. We need just as much help at the 5 technique as we do at OLB. Hopefully guys like Deaderick , Weston , maybe Pryor and Brace although Im not sure Brace has what it takes. These "know nothing" fans take/act like we had LT and D-Ware coming off the edge when we won our rings. Like most things football it all starts up front and we were no different , back then Sey was an absolute beast and was the most important part of our D , maybe the team! Watch any games from 6-8 years ago and you'll see that he made that entire D go. IMHO hes the best to ever play the 5 technique , so getting a guy like him isnt realistic. We can however , find and coach someone up to be a very solid player at DE. And trust me that makes a big difference when your talking about getting to the QB via OLB. I mean does anyone really believe that the game has past by BB? That he didnt notice our lack of pass rush last year? I wasnt very high on most of the projected OLB's and apparently he didnt think any could help us. I have absolute faith in this man when it comes to anything/everything football.
    Posted by ONE-TIME

Agree with you, having a RDE will help.  If a team can single that guy with the guard the LT side steps outside and there goes the OLB rushing.  Same on the LDE side. 

I know he's a 7th round pick but I have high hopes for Deaderick and Weston.  Both are SEC players and both were undervalued because of guys around them got the press. 

Deaderick played for Alabama, 34 base team and one that BB holds in high regard.  This guy is strong, needs to improve but if you read most reports he was as important as Cody.  He's also versatile, has played all spots in the Dline.
    Weston Georgia who was part of a rotation and some think the better of the three guys in rotation. 

The Patriots also sign Saturday night a DE, Gerrald Warren who BB says has been productive.  I had my questions on him but will see how he does.  Averages 3 or 4 sacks a season, 6'4" 325 but can move fairly well.  Gives you another big body guy to help against the run and someone that if singled has the ability to collapse the pocket and make plays in the backfield.

Its all about a numbers game, last year we lost the numbers game.  Double the NT single outside and left two or three (including RBs) blockers.  If you have double NT, Double Ends then who blocks the OLBs rushing.  We need to win those numbers and we'll see more sacks, Cunningham is undervalued I like that pick.