What about TJ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBBBrady. Show PatsBBBrady's posts

What about TJ?

I know for the most part its a 'No' on Westbrook and LT but i personally would not be able to resist having Thomas Jones if the Jets release him. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: What about TJ?

I was under the impression the Jets loved Thomas Jones and I know Jets fans do.Is this a rumor you heard?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBBBrady. Show PatsBBBrady's posts

@ ewhite. Yeah i heard that the Jets are not hard pressed to pay him the roster bonus of $3 Million due him by March 3 especially with the emergence of Shonn Greene.I love TJ's physical running style and he still has that burst.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: What about TJ?:
    @ ewhite. Yeah i heard that the Jets are not hard pressed to pay him the roster bonus of $3 Million due him by March 3 especially with the emergence of Shonn Greene.I love TJ's physical running style and he still has that burst.
    Posted by PatsBBBrady

Wow..If thats the case he's better than anyone on our roster. I say sign him up. The Patriots are down right now and they'd be served well to rob from all of their enemies if possible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBBBrady. Show PatsBBBrady's posts

Im just tired of the Pats Offense being overly predictable.There is little or no playmaking ability in the Pats backfield. The RB commitee is cool but its very short term.at some point we need a gamebreaker and we dont have any right now.if the Pats had a TJ or Steven Jax,the offense will be ridiculous.defenses are not exactly losing sleep tryna game plan for Maroney or Taylor. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Thomas Jones is older than both LDT and BW ! So my guess is the Patriots won't be taking on anymore old geezers to play RB,as they already have Fred Taylor,Sammy Morris and Kevin Faulk...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

....if the Pats had a TJ or Steven Jax,the offense will be ridiculous.defenses are not exactly losing sleep tryna game plan for Maroney or Taylor. 
    Posted by PatsBBBrady

I'm not sure there's nearly as big a gap between Jones and Maroney/Taylor as you seem to.  Now Steven Jackson is a whole other beast.  He's in the discussion of the best RBs in football, Jones is nowhere near that class.  On the other hand, the days of the featured back are dwindling.  It's just too punishing of a position nowadays.  There's not going to be another Walter Payton, you need more than one guy.  Even Adrian Peterson is starting to show signs of decline.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBBBrady. Show PatsBBBrady's posts

@Muzwell, Agreed.Jones and Steven Jax are on two diff levels as Jax is a beast.it'll be nice to have a RB of that Caliber as the featured back with a change of pace guy backing him up and splitting carries.the main point is the Pats need a game breaker capable of hitting a home run from anywhere on the field. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Here's the "rumor" which is more speculation than rumor.

If he were to become available I'd be all over him as he's better than any back they have on their roster at this point in their careers having rushed for over 1,100 yards 5 straight years.

The question is what kind of extension (years/dollars) would you give him?

Current deal:  3/6/2007: Signed a four-year, $20 million contract. The deal includes $12 million guaranteed. 2010: $2.8 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus + $2.8 million roster bonus due 3/9), 2011: Free Agent

Is Jones the next to be cut?

11:19AM ET
    Thomas Jones | Jets | Interested: Lions?, Chargers?, Texans?
    Jones in his 30s

Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News laid out the reasons the Jets should hang onto Thomas Jones earlier this offseason, mainly that the team will want more than just Shonn Greene in the backfield (with Leon Washington's health uncertain), and Jones is considered a team leader. The issue, as usual, is money. Jones was displeased with his wages heading into the 2009 season, and the team might expect him to take even less to return. A decision could come quite soon, with a $3 million bonus due on March 9, per NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Twitter.

Cimini opined this week that Jones could face the same fate as LaDainian Tomlinson, but that it might actually hinge on Washington's health more than financial matters.

If Jones is not retained, we previously speculated that he could get some interest from the Chargers and Texans, both of whom will need a between-the-tackles back for 2010, and the Lions might also be an option.

Adam Schefter

Jets back and forth on Jones

"Thomas Jones has a $2 million option bonus payment that the Jets must decide to pick up by early next month. My understanding is, they've gone back and forth on it -- one day they believe they should pick it up, the next day they wonder if it's the right thing to do. However it shakes out, I do believe that Greene will have an even more prominent role in the Jets' offense next season than he did this past season. New York knows it has a superb young running back in Greene, and it will get him the ball."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

@Muzwell, Agreed.Jones and Steven Jax are on two diff levels as Jax is a beast.it'll be nice to have a RB of that Caliber as the featured back with a change of pace guy backing him up and splitting carries.the main point is the Pats need a game breaker capable of hitting a home run from anywhere on the field. 
    Posted by PatsBBBrady

I agree they need that home run guy.  But I think that's more likely to be a smaller guy these days, in the mold of a Ray Rice, MJ Drew or Shonn Greene.  The big bruiser types just don't last.  Look at Brandon Jacobs, he already looks spent.  The little guys tend not to take direct hits too often.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

In Response to Re: What about TJ? : I agree they need that home run guy.  But I think that's more likely to be a smaller guy these days, in the mold of a Ray Rice, MJ Drew or Shonn Greene.  The big bruiser types just don't last.  Look at Brandon Jacobs, he already looks spent.  The little guys tend not to take direct hits too often.
    Posted by Muzwell

Personally, my fantasy team may love it if TJ gets cut (as a Greene owner), but I don't know how the Jets could justify this with Washington being uncertain and Greene still not 100% sure if he's the fumble machine he tended to look like in about 1/2 the games he's played. I do tend to believe that he might have shown enough to have the Jets cut Jones if Washington was healthy, though. Besides, wasn't TJ essentially one of the top 3-4 RBs in the AFC? This seems like a gamble the Jets might take, e.g., you go with the young guys on O and free up money to go after the other parts you need on D or whatever... since the D pretty much carried that team and was its identity. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBBBrady. Show PatsBBBrady's posts

The Jets might have been bamboozled by Shonn Greene's emergence in the post season last year but they will be making a huge mistake if they let TJ go.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

He is a guy I would take a run after if given the chance but I would still draft a RB in the first two rounds.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBBBrady. Show PatsBBBrady's posts

The Pats badly needs a stud at RB.the committee thing is not a bad idea except that every RB on it except Faulk is injury prone.Maroney is like a yo-yo.everytime it seems like he got it going on he falls flat on his face and fumble the ball away on the goal line.i dont expect the Jets to cut TJ but if they did i would def make a run   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Jones has never gotten the respect he deserves. He wasn't appreciated here in Chicago, I'll tell ya that. I think he still has something left and would be a better option than Fred Taylor. Another nice veteran RB would be Chester Taylor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

If the Pats want to go that route , why not Chester Taylor. He is a very talented back though he backs up Adrian Peterson

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Thomas Jones is one of the better backs in the league, if he is released by the Jets we need to go get him no questions asked.

If anything else he will make the Jets pay in the two games against them, that is worth the money.  He has two or three good more years in him, I would release Taylor or Morris.

I would not bring him in to be the featured back, he is a good 2 down back and I wouldn't try for him to be anything else.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

I heard he wasn't gonna go back to the jets, since they got a newer back. yeah, if he wants to come to NE great, he's better than any of the RB's we got now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

If the Pats want to go that route , why not Chester Taylor. He is a very talented back though he backs up Adrian Peterson
    Posted by viewer222

Chester Taylor would be a great Faulk replacement, but he's going to want a big contract.  His next contract is probably his last.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Wow, an ESPN Insider Rumor that is nothing more than pure speculation with no facts to back it up? Who would have thought that?! Haha.  

Seriously though, IF Jones does become available, I would probably consider signing him and releasing Morris and/or Taylor, because Jones is more productive.  They still need to get younger at the position, though.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

Morris and Faulk are the only two RB's I would keep on the Pats roster.  Maroney not only dances, but last season he took up the art of goal line fumbling.  Lawerence just seem to get worse as the years go by.  Taylor was a huge waste of $$.

Judging by the Patten signing, maybe the Pats will just stick with Fragile Fred.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBBBrady. Show PatsBBBrady's posts

Jones is obviously a better option than Morris or Taylor right now because he still has more gas in the tank and he is more durable and more productive.Taylor and Morris are almost guaranteed to miss a handful of games between them each year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

Morris and Faulk are the only two RB's I would keep on the Pats roster.  Maroney not only dances, but last season he took up the art of goal line fumbling.  Lawerence just seem to get worse as the years go by.  Taylor was a huge waste of $$. Judging by the Patten signing, maybe the Pats will just stick with Fragile Fred.
    Posted by BBRULES23

If the Pats somehow draft either CJ Spiller, or Jonathan Dwyer, they should try to trade Maroney for the best deal they can get for him. Maybe the Chargers??? It's time to add a young RB that can consistantly make an impact on offense. Almost every year we add an older back and they end up injured more than they play. We need to get younger legs in, not older. That's my opinion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBBBrady. Show PatsBBBrady's posts

I agree with drafting a back and getting young at that position.I would still take a crack at TJ if he was available because say we draft a CJ Spiller or Dwyer and have a backfield 1-2 punch that would really help the Pats Offense.imagine having a TJ/Spiller or Dwyer backfield.
     @nightrider i def concur when it comes to trading Maroney.IMO he has shown everything he has to offer to this point.unfortunately BB is not ready to accept that mistake yet so he is still hanging on to Maroney. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

I agree with drafting a back and getting young at that position.I would still take a crack at TJ if he was available because say we draft a CJ Spiller or Dwyer and have a backfield 1-2 punch that would really help the Pats Offense.imagine having a TJ/Spiller or Dwyer backfield.  @nightrider i def concur when it comes to trading Maroney.IMO he has shown everything he has to offer to this point.unfortunately BB is not ready to accept that mistake yet so he is still hanging on to Maroney. 
    Posted by PatsBBBrady

I just think that Spiller can bring so many different things to the table. He is extremely versatile, which Bill usually seems to covet. The guy is super fast, so he can break a huge run at any point. He can catch the deep ball, and he can return kicks to the house. Dwyer is more of a workhorse in the Cory Dillon mold. A north and south runner, which would be fine also. However, I think that the Pats would be way better with Spiller if possible. My only knock with Jones is that he isn't getting any younger, and getting one of these young guys would not only help us now, but for the future too.