What Defensive Players Could the Pats Realistically Trade for Before the Deadline??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: What Defensive Players Could the Pats Realistically Trade for Before the Deadline??

Usually a trade mid season doesn't happen regarding impact players so given that stance and looking at backup players there's really only one player that can come in today and take 40-60% of snaps, slightly improving or at least give Wright or Warren a breather without decreasing performance and that's Green. Anyone else I would say is a roll of the dice and I'd rather spend nothing and pick up someone familiar with the system then spend a pick an take a gamble on a backup that another team didn't want. However, if you are forcing me to pick a trade victim I would look no further then the Rams or Dallas.

Rams: Need a backup RB and might also be interested in another G since they only have 3 on the team with one (Goldberg) being better off moving to RT. This would solidify the line to protect their new franchise QB and open bigger holes for the franchise RB Jackson.

possible players to trade for: Long (Big name in the draft but has not lived up to his #2 pick status. A change of scenery might help), Ah You (still young but at 6'4" 270 is to small for a DT or even a DE for us but has decent speed and could be coached into a DE/OLB tweener position for run stuffing plays)

what we'd have to give up: for Long it would be a package of a RB (most likely BJGE) and Mankins or a draft pick, for Ah You it could just be a late pick or BJGE

Dallas: Is hurting on O-Line and could use a pro-bowl G to protect Romo

possible players to trade for: Butler (a DE/OLB tweener in the mold of Ware. They are high up on the kid so it would take a lot to pry him lose), Spears (a solid dependable 3 down DE with good size and speed. Signed a RFA tender putting him in a contract year. A good pick or player trade might get him depending on how they feel about Hatcher and Lissemore), Hatcher (backup to Spears might be expendable with Lissemore. Another solid good sized DE but not a full time starter), Bowen (a good situational pass rushing DE that can come in place of Wright or Warren. Again with Lissemore might be expendable but not likely)

players to be traded: Mankins but with almost any of them some pick or swap of picks to move up a couple rounds would also need to take place

That's just my opinion but I don't see any trade really happening before the trade deadline. You might see a Vet pickup though come week 8

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from grammbo14. Show grammbo14's posts

Re: What Defensive Players Could the Pats Realistically Trade for Before the Deadline??

Thats some pretty in-depth analysis there. I agree with you that midseason trades are unlikely but I think if the Pats felt they were one player away from a serious playoff run, they would do a trade. while it may be hard to learn a new system, they got jarrod page and he has to learn on the fly. If there were a dominating DL out there, it would be interesting. Not Haynesworth but someone like him. Chris Long is interesting, I know the Pats were interested a few years back when they got Mayo and he is a hybrid player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Come on. When do you actually see good NFL players traded during the season.  If someone wants to move a good player it's typically contract related and would be done in the offseason or when the team is cutting down to their final roster.  Pats may be able to get a backup from another team but it would be a depth move.  The chances of them getting someone now who can step in and make an immediate difference is pretty negligible.

As far as trading Mankins for a stud at another position, I really can't remember too many similar trades in the NFL recently.  Maybe Clint Portis for Champ Bailey but as I previously mentioned, that was also done in the offseason.

Bottom line, I wouldn't hold my breath for reinforcements coming from outside the organization.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Realisticlly, what team wants to trade a good player to the Patriots and make them a better team than they already are.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

If a trade happens, it will be for a pick in my opinion. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

None, Belichick doesn't like guys who didn't start OTAs with the team. Every once in a while he'll pick someone up on cut day, but they don't do to well in the system because it's too complicated. Mankins for a third round pick is good. 

That would be two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, two third round picks and tow 4th rounders. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: What Defensive Players Could the Pats Realistically Trade for Before the Deadline??:
    [QUOTE]None, Belichick doesn't like guys who didn't start OTAs with the team. Every once in a while he'll pick someone up on cut day, but they don't do to well in the system because it's too complicated. Mankins for a third round pick is good.  That would be two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, two third round picks and tow 4th rounders. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Mankins was a 1st rounder who has reached Pro Bowl status. A 2nd rounder is the absolute minimum; preferably a 2nd and a 4th or 5th.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: What Defensive Players Could the Pats Realistically Trade for Before the Deadline??:
    [QUOTE]None, Belichick doesn't like guys who didn't start OTAs with the team. Every once in a while he'll pick someone up on cut day, but they don't do to well in the system because it's too complicated. Mankins for a third round pick is good.  That would be two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, two third round picks and tow 4th rounders. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

I concur.  The cut-day pickups are usually project players and special teams guys whose learning curve isn't as steep or as urgent.  I'd even venture to say that some of the cut-day guys are picked up simply because their playing style resembles that of teams the Patriots play that season, making them good scout team players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

NY Pats fan, u wont get that much when u also have to pay a HUGE contract.  A second would be a steal from an average  (around pick 13-19) in the round, team.  Plus OG isnt a big demand position vs OT.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

None that would make an impact. The only guy out there with actual talent is Haynesworth and he's a total tool with a ludicrous contract. They could probably get him for a 4th rounder if they really wanted him that bad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Rumblings outta GB that A.J. Hawk ain't at all pleased with his playing time
    and isn't opposed to going elsewhere to get some either......

His words not mine...

Great college LB outta Ohio State...Think he went #5 of 6 in the 1st round...6 year deal worth about 6M per year...signed in '06.

Apparently very durable and hasn't missed a game yet either...6-1" 245 lbs.

Inside, Outside and weak side to date....

You guys probably know more about pass rush credentials...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

I think we need another CB for depth purposes

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"what defensive players could the Pats realistically trade for??"

Well, realistically speaking, since you want a realistic post, nobody. No one. Nada. The defense you see is the one we are going to have this year. 

I think you should repost this and say "unrealistically," what could happen? That would be more fun. Logan Mankins for Julius Peppers.