What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wink1994. Show wink1994's posts

Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?

His explanation was fine.  Unfortunately, with all things related to Belichick...the media feasts on his every misfortune, simply because he refuses to lie prostrate before them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpeggio. Show rpeggio's posts

Diff. point of view:

Here's my beef and it's not that they went for it on 4th and 2 at their own 29.  

1) They should have been more disciplined with their usage of timeouts....gotta have at least 1 if not 2 timeouts for the final 2 mins of such a close game.  Coulda thrown the red flag to correct that HORRENDOUS spot by the ref.

2) The ref made a horrible spot, probably about a full yard and half shorter than was correct.  If you look at the catch from nearly every replay angle, you can clearly see Faulk caught the ball while his left and right feet were to the right of the 30 yard line, he is then hit and falls toward the 29 and 28 1/2 yard line, but just look at his feet when he pulls the ball to his chest and secures the catch.  It was a horrible spot by the ref.  You'd think on a big play like that, the refs would confer and at least ask the other side judge to confirm the juggling of the ball the ref thought he saw.  They call that right or review it upstairs, they get the 1st down and Belichick is a genius.  Which he still is either way.  Bad spot, period.  It stinks when you run the play, the receiver runs to the 31, catches the ball, is pushed back and they spot it at the 28 1/2.  The play was executed and the ref blew it, period.

3) And this is a beef I have with all coaches, all of the time.  Always think at least one play ahead.  If you're at spot on the field or time in the game where you feel you may go for it if you're left with 4th and short...then when it's 3rd and 2, run the dang ball!  And if you don't pickup all 2 yards, run it again on 4th and shorter!  I hate throwing two passes for 3rd and 2....run twice, you may pick up all 2 yards on 3rd and 2, and if not, you run it again on 4th and short.  Two incomplete passes get you zilch.  Brady could have QB sneaked twice and easily got 2 yards....period.  Think one play ahead coach, that's what you're paid for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tojo. Show tojo's posts

A lot of comments seem to assume punting the ball means they win the game.  Anyone remember the SB vs the Giants?   It would have been nice if Teddy and Rodney and Co. could have stopped that drive.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from George444. Show George444's posts

He took a gamble, not wanting to give up the ball. In the heat of the game, coaches sometimes make an out of the box call. He lost, so he looks bad.
    Belechiks problem is that he doesn't know how to appreciate the joy of it, win or lose. He is a miserable looking guy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leann1220. Show Leann1220's posts

The 4th down call was not the issue on Sunday - if we'd made the play, Belichick would have been the hero - I love that he made that call.  The real problem was that we lost a 17 point lead.  If we find outselves in the same position again, I want the coach to make the tough call again - that's his job and he did it well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

I love all these idiot armchair coaches questioning the call......1) if we got the 2 yards and ran the clock out he would be dubbed a genious by the same dolts calling him out. 2) It was the right call, it was a play that had been working all night, just not that time.  3) The odds were with the Pats, but didn't work.

Bruschi needs to STFU.....disrespecting the Defense?  Please!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rosmay. Show rosmay's posts

He doesn't owe anyone an apology or an explanation. The play speaks for itself. He is paid to win and he made the decision accordingly, but this time it didn't work. Not the end of the world. Even his players can't quarrel with a play that they didn't execute quite right and a questionable call be the officials was made. The defense may be disappointed at his choice of offense over defense, but it faded badly in the last quarter and it was doubtful it could have contained Manning even over a longer field. Tedy Brucchi had it right when he said by Wed. it will be all forgotten. Belichick has been too successful in past decisions and wins  to be vilified for having confidence in Brady and Faulk. They still lead the division by 2 games with 7 to go.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JPSkier. Show JPSkier's posts

I agree with shaboom....Maroney's fumble is what really cost the Pats the game.   I totally agree with Coach's call....if you punt and give the ball to one of the greatest clutch QBs of all time, with 2 minutes left...he is likely going to score anyway and had, in fact, just led the Colts on 2 long drives reulting in TDs in approx 2 minnutes or less.
        Faullk doesn't juggle the ball, play works.  Replay would not have over turned the call on the field, but it would have been nice to have the option.
        Still....good call Coach!!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]     I agree with shaboom....Maroney's fumble is what really cost the Pats the game.   I totally agree with Coach's call....if you punt and give the ball to one of the greatest clutch QBs of all time, with 2 minutes left...he is likely going to score anyway and had, in fact, just led the Colts on 2 long drives reulting in TDs in approx 2 minnutes or less.     Faullk doesn't juggle the ball, play works.  Replay would not have over turned the call on the field, but it would have been nice to have the option.     Still....good call Coach!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by JPSkier[/QUOTE]

We have been burnt in that situation before....and Chuckie said last night when he was coaching TB he was in the same situation as Belichick, punted and Manning came back to win the game.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]I dont blame the coach but the front office. Come on! How can we be a championship team when we let great talent go year after year. Where is Asante Samuel and Ty Law? Where are all the great coaches now? Seems like the Krafts care more about money than talent and put all the responsibility on Belichick and thats just not fair. Look at Indy. They wouldnt let Reggie Wayne or Joseph Adai go or Freeny for that matter. They did NOT out coach us, they just have more TALENT. Take note Krafts! Model franchise my a@@.
    Posted by stevet1966[/QUOTE]

Where are you idiots coming from?

Indy let Edge, Rhodes and Harrison go....

Law?  He hasn't really done much since he left (with exception of the first season with the Jets)......

Samuel would not have helped against Indy....Bodden is about as good as Samuel...

Oh, what is A@@?  LOL!  Are you trying to spell "@$$"?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]I dont blame the coach but the front office. Come on! How can we be a championship team when we let great talent go year after year. Where is Asante Samuel and Ty Law? Where are all the great coaches now? Seems like the Krafts care more about money than talent and put all the responsibility on Belichick and thats just not fair. Look at Indy. They wouldnt let Reggie Wayne or Joseph Adai go or Freeny for that matter. They did NOT out coach us, they just have more TALENT. Take note Krafts! Model franchise my a@@.
    Posted by stevet1966[/QUOTE]

Steve sounds a lot like Leon!!!!! My Man

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation? : Steve sounds a lot like Leon!!!!! My Man
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]

11 posts over 2 years. I wouldn't be surprised. You know the bug keeps a list of the hundreds of names he's used and he always posts as disgruntled fans after loses.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation? : Where are you idiots coming from? Indy let Edge, Rhodes and Harrison go.... Law?  He hasn't really done much since he left (with exception of the first season with the Jets)...... Samuel would not have helped against Indy....Bodden is about as good as Samuel... Oh, what is A@@?  LOL!  Are you trying to spell "@$$"?
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]

It's only Leon

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What did you think of Belichick's explanation? : It's only Leon
    Posted by Evil2009[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that as I was typing it...the bold over sized lettering does kind of give it away.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from banana77. Show banana77's posts

In Response to What did you think of Belichick's explanation?:
    [QUOTE]New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick discussed his controversial fourth-down call during Sunday's game against the Colts at a press conference today. He said he thought his decision gave his team the best chance of winning the game. What are your thoughts about his explanation?
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]

I think you make your decision to win when it's third down and 2 yds to go.  You have 2 cracks to make 2 yards.  You don't throw the ball - you give it to Faulk and/or Brady QB senak - and you physically win the game.  Forget 4th and 2 pschology - it's 2 downs to make 2 yards in front of a really good offensive line (left side especially). Ram it down their throat.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jakethesnake53. Show Jakethesnake53's posts

The Fans are FICKLE, some say great call, others are ready to fire Bel., If the rest of the season goes sour, then the Fans will really get their dandra up, and Bel. will be raosted like he never has in his life and he will gregret the call, but then it's too late----the horse left the barn aefore the door was closed!!!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlscout. Show mlscout's posts

([Chance of executing that 4th and 2] + [Chance of Stopping Indy from your own 29]) />= (Chance of Stopping Indy from Scoring TD from there 30)

Hog 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston006. Show boston006's posts

OK, it's over and Bill makes the calls.  You have to love his Guts to want to win it all.  I am not a big fan of the COLTS but Bill did give them an early xmas gift.  I believe the Refs made the worse call as far as placing the ball 7" from a first down.  We were over the 30 yard line when the ball was caught and he was pushed backwards.  But thats not the question, we had 15 minutes to score more points and our D fell asleep again.  Our D needs to step-Up or our Team will be watching the play-off on TV again.  I love Bill's Call...  GO PATS 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_2066597. Show user_2066597's posts

I felt Bill did exactly what he thought would be the right decision to get a Patriot victory.  If they made the play, he would be called a genius.  Shaunessy always goes with the majority and doesn't have the bxxxx like Bill.   Should we go after the greatest coach in Patriots history. Leave Bill alone, the Patriots are going to win the superbowl this year.  I can vision the next time these 2 teams meet in Indy for the AFC championship game.  We will demolish them only if Maroney can hold onto the ball in the endzone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonofironhorse. Show sonofironhorse's posts

Who cares about Belichick's explanation? Explanations do not win ball games, and they sure don't get a team to the Super Bowl.

Going for it on fourth and two with about 2 minutes to play when deep in your own territory with Peyton Manning quarterbacking your opponent... when you could punt the ball out of bounds way down field...

What actually happened Sunday night says it all. The "explanation" doesn't amount to squat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amishpatsfan. Show Amishpatsfan's posts

One thing I have not seen in the discussion is the more cautious play calling in the fourth quarter. Therer was a shift over to running plays which appeared to me as if they were playing "Not to Lose". The Patriots put themselves into too many three and outs or third and long situations. Manning Never plays any way but aggreessive, come right after ya' football. The Pats seem to play Cautious once a lead is achieved.
    Maybe its just me, but I saw that long before the need for fourth and two.

Also...Welker was open crossing the middle...if only.

I hope they take the angst and unload it on the Jets.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HELPMEPULLTHETRIGGERPLEASE. Show HELPMEPULLTHETRIGGERPLEASE's posts

Here's  my  Whole  View   thing  in  a  nut  shell on  that  Specific  Play  .    It's  not  a  Gutsy  Call  ,No Matter  what  NFL  Team  you  like Period!   4TH &  2     on  your  own  28  yard  line  and  your  team  is  Winning,   It's  Basic  101    "You  PUNT  The  FootBall"  And  make  the  losing  team  win  the game the  hard  way  with  only  2  minutes  remaining  the  pressure  is emence,  You  Put  The  2  minute  game  on  the  backs  of  you  defense, Trying  to  do  Basic  NFL  Football  Tactics  "Like  Strip  The  Ball, Sack  the  QB, Disrupt  the QB,   . You  watch  the  Films  Over  and  over  and  over, And  You  prepare  For  That  Specific  Situation  Because  Everyone  Knows  ,Thats  Mannings  Gig  The  4th  Quarter,  He  will  eat  you  up,  You  have  to  play  Peyton Manning  60  Minutes  ,  And  Definately  a  very  Good  4th  Quarter till  time  officially  Runs  out.   The  Game  was  just  about  99%  The  Patriots,  If  they  Would  have  simply punted  with  2  minutes  remaining  It  was  there  Game.
              I  think  Tom  Brady  is  a  true  Hall  of  Famer, But  to  Lie  and  say  as  a  3  time  Super  Bowl winning  QB  That  He  Tom  Brady  didn't  Think ? WHAT!!  We  are  winning  with  Two  Minutes  and  Coach  wants  to  Go  For  it  on  our  own  28  Thats   Bull u  know  what.  And  Mr  Bill Belichick   do  not  sit  there  in  the  Press  Confrence  Afterwards  and  Say  I  felt  it  was  our  Best  Chance  To  Win!  Wow!!  Wow!! I  just  wonder    What  Does  Your  Defense  Think?    NFL  FAN PERIOD

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Resoxmanagementarewimps. Show Resoxmanagementarewimps's posts

Anyone who said it was the right call is a moron.  Belichick suffers from "I love myself syndrome"  He can be wrong and he was wrong period.  My three year old would have made the right call in this instance.  There was only one right call - Punt you idiot!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Larrye781. Show Larrye781's posts

Ok, the call? You could argue either way. Lets face it, if they had punted and Manning had to go 70 yards in about two minutes, does anyone doubt he is capable of that? I don't have a strong feeling about the call. But i do have a strong feeling about they way they squandered their  time outs! That was inexcusible! Had they had time outs left they could challenged the call. Had they had time outs left they could have prevented Manning from using up the clock at the end so they would have had a chance to get a field goal even after Manning scored. You just can't throw away your time outs. Especially your last time out which prevents you from challenging!