What Difference Does Talib Make?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re: What Difference Does Talib Make?

I just hope he's in shape enough so he doesn't pull a gonad running down the field... 

Luck will have his hands full and then some.  I think the d will have an attitude this week like we saw in London.

if talib plays which we dont know yet... then it has to be a green light for front seven to take over the game.   The real 6-3 team should step up and take this one....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

BTW Richard Sherman> Darelle Revis.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

We went from 4 suck azzes down to three back there.  So our Defense just got 25% better.  Now alls BB has to worry about is 1/2 the field.  I believe we went from a 7-1 2nd 1/2 to an 8-0 2nd 1/2.

[/QUOTE]

Ha!

IT looks that way sometimes. 

Don't you think DMC looks better at safety? At least I feel like it's better not seeing the back of his jersey so often. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just polling -- did they delete the polling feature or am I just missing it btw?

I am wondering myself what kind of a difference a player like Aquib Talib can make. When he came out, in the draft thread, I thought his skill-set (tackling, reading the QB, driving to the play/ball) were a fit for what BB has historically done in NE. He was drafted by another team. Several arrests/incidents later, he is carrying his baggage to NE's secondary -- which is in dire need of help, IMO.

At any given rate, I am excited by the possibility of having some real premium talent, and if he works out (plays to his potential given his history) he could be the Pats version of Orlando Cabrera (ha!), or better yet, like when they bolstered their offense in 2004 adding C Dills. 

Just want to check what other people think those chances are. Homer glasses off. Football talk on. 

OK. I don't want non-football replies. So, what I mean is: assume he is a boyscout and focused while he is here.

How much of a difference can you see him being from a skills perspective? I assume, as well, that he plays corner and they bump DMC back to safety.

• A) Does he lock down at least one WR for NE?
    • B) Is he not lockdown, but the playmaker they desperately need back there?
    • C) Is he just good, but the overall defense is improved by settling down the safety position at the same time via DMCs move?
    • D) Is he merely competent? That is, marginal improvement at the position.
    • E) He doesn't make a difference! TB cut bait for a skills reason!

[/QUOTE]

nice query z,

i vote b.

and we see improvement only if we switch to mostly pres man. 

using guys like dennard and talib in a soft zoen is a waste of tehm and a yield to offenses in a league that will eat up secondaries that arent aggressive. witness our record setting pace in plays given up over 20 yards (and we theoretically are playing conservative out of fear of getting burned?)

[/QUOTE]

I don't know. Zone coverage is the best for creating turnovers. 

I disagree with "press man" theory people are kicking around. All coverages have their places. 

I mean, how many rad picks did Law get from off-man and off-zone. 

You press when you need to disrupt timing. In it's own way, PRESS is more conservative. OR it is meant to throw off hot routes on blitzes. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

We went from 4 suck azzes down to three back there.  So our Defense just got 25% better.  Now alls BB has to worry about is 1/2 the field.  I believe we went from a 7-1 2nd 1/2 to an 8-0 2nd 1/2.

[/QUOTE]

Ha!

IT looks that way sometimes. 

Don't you think DMC looks better at safety? At least I feel like it's better not seeing the back of his jersey so often. 

[/QUOTE]

totally!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I say B plus...  The plus is that he gives the d some name cred in the back end that lifts the confidence of inexperienced guys like dennard and Wilson.  Also should put second thoughts in the heads of QBs that up to now have looked too comfortable, especially those 20 yard throws.

playmaker means he'll be looking for the ball.  Another plus. 

[/QUOTE]

with ya on all of that

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

According to many here Dennard was the next coming of Ty Law, but he got burnt last week along with the rest. 

The week before the same defensive backfield looked amazing against a very good QB in Sam Bradford.

Talib automatically becomes our 2nd best corner but these same people will be btching about Talib if the entire defense looks terrible like it did last week.  

Coverage doesn't happen in a vacuum.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

B.   But that's based on the assumed good behavior and focus, which is a 50/50 thing as I see it. If he plays to his potential, he is a Pro Bowler. Not Revis level, but say Webb level. 

Hope his agent convinces him he needs to toe the line the rest of the year to get paid. Hard to see anybody offering him a multi year deal with his history, but maybe he can earn it with his play these next 7 games. He should be motivated. But he marches to the beat of his own rapper. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

I go with C because he is "just good' and this an improvement over what we have. He is got to be better than street pickups Poteat, Gay, and Moore. And also over Troy and Eddleman who filled in on D.

if i am not mistaken all those guys contributed to a Super Bowl season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Put me down for C.  Having a guy who is experienced in man and zone coverage and who can free up McC to stay at safety will only help this secondary.  I don't expect him to be lights out, but I expect him give that secondary a boost. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Can't say I've seen him play enough to really judge, but from what I've read, he's got the physical talent, but knowing BB he's going to see the field only if he plays smart and understands the scheme. I'd choose C with some hope it will end up B. While he should improve the quality of the DBs it's probably worth pointing out that some of our coverage issues are with the LBs too. If the LBs can't cover the underneath zones and the safeties let receivers get behind them, one good corner won't make a huge difference.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

He's the most talented guy we've had back there since Law. He's a ballhawk and very good at man coverage. Let's hope the scheme allows him to play to his strength, if so he should really help a lot. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to MasterHess-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

But can he stay out of jail?

[/QUOTE]

Well, if he doesn't you and Rex may have some company with your box of cleanex. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to MasterHess-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Talib did time already hasn't he for beating up a defenseless cab driver right?

Is Talib a good example of getting guys that do things the so called "patriot way"?

[/QUOTE]
    Obviously you have no idea what the patriot way is. How could you with that cluster f#^k down there in new York you call a football team. I have only on thing for you...1969 baby and counting. Yeeehaaaaw

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I will go with C. I would pick A if he could cover 2 wr's , but that is asking a bit too much.

If he plays good, there will be a ripple effect. If he can stand on his own without any safety help, that is possibly one extra safety to do something with. More safety blitzes? More blitzes iN general? I pray.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's the most talented guy we've had back there since Law. He's a ballhawk and very good at man coverage. Let's hope the scheme allows him to play to his strength, if so he should really help a lot. 

[/QUOTE]

+1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

B.   But that's based on the assumed good behavior and focus, which is a 50/50 thing as I see it. If he plays to his potential, he is a Pro Bowler. Not Revis level, but say Webb level. 

Hope his agent convinces him he needs to toe the line the rest of the year to get paid. Hard to see anybody offering him a multi year deal with his history, but maybe he can earn it with his play these next 7 games. He should be motivated. But he marches to the beat of his own rapper. 

[/QUOTE]

trammates adn coach have nothign but good thigns to say how hes been for past year. till adderall

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

He doesnt have to be SPECIAL !!! to be the best DB on this team. He will be an upgrade, as you guys said, he will allow DMC and Dennard to play a different role, not safety and not Left corner, but a better role for their skills...

I think, he might need 2 or 3 games... he has to be ready for SF and Texans...

If at some point of the season we can have GREGORY, CHUNG, TALIB, DMC DENNARD on the field.. thats a decent set of DBs... more than we have now... + current front 6/7 = a good enough defense to win it all !!!

I am exited guys... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just hope he's in shape enough so he doesn't pull a gonad running down the field... 

Luck will have his hands full and then some.  I think the d will have an attitude this week like we saw in London.

if talib plays which we dont know yet... then it has to be a green light for front seven to take over the game.   The real 6-3 team should step up and take this one....

[/QUOTE]

GONAD !!! HAHAHAHAHA :D

the Punk and Talib are gonna be 2 mad mother F.... on a missión the rest of the season !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Gonna have to go with A