What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft?

I personally wouldn't mind seeing 2 DE/DTs and 2 OLB/DE drafted. Im not gonna try and guess BB's trades even though I assume one second becomes a first next year. Here's my logic:

1. Strength of defense is the front 7. Ours is weak and it is a huge need.
    2. Best teams we play in 2012 are HOU, BAL, SF, NYJ...all run first teams. I only see the Cardinals and Bills as the only team that would spread us out, and Im not scared about them. Peyton Manning to Dolphins could change things, but not much.
    3. WR is a need, but Brady's window is closing. Developing a WR usually takes time...time that Brady may not have. Get Lloyd...or break the bank for Vincent Jackson (which im against)
    4. Secondary needs leadership. I don't want to see another rookie out there. Get some vets...secondary will also play better with a stronger front 7.
    5. Center is a need too. But i wouldnt mind a short term deal with Koppen and maybe draft a center later...We have arguably the best Oline Coach.
    6. Two of each seem much? you're always one injury away from being thin at a position.

I honestly feel this would be the best plan of attack for the Pats. Especially the schedule part. AFC South (all running teams), NFC West (Best passing team are the Cardinals (not scary), and then we get the Broncos and Ravens.

A lot of run first teams...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft?

mbeaulieu07 seems to be the biggest draft junkie of us all and seems to know his stuff. Any idea on how deep those positions are this year?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Immediate impact.

Offense, defense, special teams matters little to me...I want those 4 picks in 3 rounds to provide this team with playmakers. Package all 4 for 1 established vet, draft players that are generally regarded as impact players (Dez Bryant/Clay Matthews type, just, for once, DO IT!), or some combination of the 2.

I'm tired of develpmental, raw, needs seasoning picks. That has worked out for OLineman (Vollmer, Solder), but not so well anywhere else (Cunningham, Dowling, Tate), 4th round 'projects' are the way to go (Hernandez).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In Response to Re: What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft?:
    [QUOTE]Immediate impact. Offense, defense, special teams matters little to me...I want those 4 picks in 3 rounds to provide this team with playmakers. Package all 4 for 1 established vet, draft players that are generally regarded as impact players (Dez Bryant/Clay Matthews type, just, for once, DO IT!), or some combination of the 2. I'm tired of develpmental, raw, needs seasoning picks. That has worked out for OLineman (Vollmer, Solder), but not so well anywhere else (Cunningham, Dowling, Tate), 4th round 'projects' are the way to go (Hernandez).
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

It's not easy finding those impact players in the backend of the draft. Gronk and Hernandez were impact players drafted. I dont think Dowling was considered a project...he just has a history of injuries.

Its not that easy distinguising who will be an impact player after being drafted...I remember a lot of people wanted Kindle back in 2010...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I'm starting to sense a theme here, already, and I hope Belichick senses it as well- not that he would because WE came up with the idea.

Tom Brady's career window will only be open for a few more years. Trading back first and second round picks gives the team a lot of options, but it can't work forever. Having a QB like Tom Brady happens once in the lifetime of a football team IF THEY ARE LUCKY!!!!!!!

I know the Pats like to draft for the distant future, but maybe that philosophy, now more than ever, needs to be re-examined.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

The same thing the rest of us want, but don't expect them to do anything but draft the best available player. Also, don't expect any moves up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dblock33644. Show dblock33644's posts

i think we need a impact player from the draft like mike barron from alabama he plays alot like ed reed amd can actually play man to man defense. i think the other pick will be traded so use the 1st 2nd round pick on a DL like poe from memphis or still from penn state two big bodys that can rush the passer and stop the run. as far as free agency. I think mario williams would be perfect. i hear the texans played so well without they are strongly considering letting him go.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

BPA who's not a QB or a TE

the team needs an upgrade on every spot

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I was hoping could trade down and end up with 2 future first round picks, 4 future second round picks, and 8 picks in the third and fourth rounds this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft?:
    [QUOTE]I personally wouldn't mind seeing 2 DE/DTs and 2 OLB/DE drafted. Im not gonna try and guess BB's trades even though I assume one second becomes a first next year. Here's my logic: 1. Strength of defense is the front 7. Ours is weak and it is a huge need. 2. Best teams we play in 2012 are HOU, BAL, SF, NYJ...all run first teams. I only see the Cardinals and Bills as the only team that would spread us out, and Im not scared about them. Peyton Manning to Dolphins could change things, but not much. 3. WR is a need, but Brady's window is closing. Developing a WR usually takes time...time that Brady may not have. Get Lloyd...or break the bank for Vincent Jackson (which im against) 4. Secondary needs leadership. I don't want to see another rookie out there. Get some vets...secondary will also play better with a stronger front 7. 5. Center is a need too. But i wouldnt mind a short term deal with Koppen and maybe draft a center later...We have arguably the best Oline Coach. 6. Two of each seem much? you're always one injury away from being thin at a position. I honestly feel this would be the best plan of attack for the Pats. Especially the schedule part. AFC South (all running teams), NFC West (Best passing team are the Cardinals (not scary), and then we get the Broncos and Ravens. A lot of run first teams...
    Posted by dapats1281[/QUOTE]
    We could take Mike Wallace away from the Steelers and it would only cost our pick 31.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Take the draft out of BB's hands he;s proven he can't draft as he always goes to his college coaching buddies and ignore what the experts say. Let Caserio and the other guy draft and make the draft decisions and no more TRADING DOWN!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft? : We could take Mike Wallace away from the Steelers and it would only cost our pick 31.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Are you on crack? The Steelers are not giving you Wallace for any of your picks!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft? : Are you on crack? The Steelers are not giving you Wallace for any of your picks!
    Posted by FrnkBnhm[/QUOTE]
    He is a restricted FA with a first round tender, if he signed with us thats what we would have to give up, steelers would have to give a better offer

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

BB will not traded down anymore. Giants destory his foundation in the SB two days go.

It is time to get players who make an impact immediately BB already went passed Clay Matthews until the Packers two years ago and you know the rest.

a DE or a CB needs in the draft in the 1st and 2nd round.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft? : He is a restricted FA with a first round tender, if he signed with us thats what we would have to give up, steelers would have to give a better offer
    Posted by thejoshuatree28[/QUOTE]
    Actually, they would just have to match our offer.  They would have right of first refusal.  Anyone know if poison pills are still allowed?  We used one to get Welker.  Just offer a $50MM bonus if Wallace plays 2 or more games in Pittsburgh next year.  Would be impossible for the Steelers to match and of course, we would never have to pay it. 

We could do the same with Arian Foster.  Imagine giving up our two firsts for Wallace and Foster?  BB sucks at the draft and we get two elite Pro Bowlers.  Granted we need more help on D but our offense would be insane with those two guys.

Obviously it would never happen in a million years but we have the cap space and the picks to do it.  Think we're hated now?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft? : He is a restricted FA with a first round tender, if he signed with us thats what we would have to give up, steelers would have to give a better offer
    Posted by thejoshuatree28[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Steelers are not going to let him walk. They will sign him to whatever the Patriots offer him. He is the best skill position player on the Steelers and you think they are going to let him walk? The Patriots would have to way overpay him to make it so the Steelers would let him go, that would mean you would end paying him and Welker close to $20M (unless you are replacing Welker with him in which case your offense is worse not better). Do you really think they are going to spend over a quarter of the salary cap on Brady and two WR's?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft? : Yeah, the Steelers are not going to let him walk. They will sign him to whatever the Patriots offer him. He is the best skill position player on the Steelers and you think they are going to let him walk? The Patriots would have to way overpay him to make it so the Steelers would let him go, that would mean you would end paying him and Welker close to $20M (unless you are replacing Welker with him in which case your offense is worse not better). Do you really think they are going to spend over a quarter of the salary cap on Brady and two WR's?

Antonio Brown is/will be better than Mike Wallace. Arians was let go because Rooney wants to go back to a run first offense. This wouldnt be letting him go. Steelers would be getting a first round pick.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft? : Yeah, the Steelers are not going to let him walk. They will sign him to whatever the Patriots offer him. He is the best skill position player on the Steelers and you think they are going to let him walk? The Patriots would have to way overpay him to make it so the Steelers would let him go, that would mean you would end paying him and Welker close to $20M (unless you are replacing Welker with him in which case your offense is worse not better). Do you really think they are going to spend over a quarter of the salary cap on Brady and two WR's?
    Not so fast.  We offer him something reasonable, IDK, 5 years $30MM with $20MM guaranteed.  The cost to the Steelers if they restrict him and he doesn't get another offer would be $2.8MM.  We could force them to pay him $30MM and take twice the cap hit they were planning on.  We lose nothing and hurt a top AFC rival.  If the Steelers don't match, we get a truly elite young WR at an awesome price, assuming of course Wallace signs the offer sheet and wants to come to NE.  This would be his only leverage, to sign it.  If I'm Wallace do I play one year at $2.8MM and risk a career ending injury or take the $20MM guaranteed?  Either way, get him or not, we win.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft? : Not so fast.  We offer him something reasonable, IDK, 5 years $30MM with $20MM guaranteed.  The cost to the Steelers if they restrict him and he doesn't get another offer would be $2.8MM.  We could force them to pay him $30MM and take twice the cap hit they were planning on.  We lose nothing and hurt a top AFC rival.  If the Steelers don't match, we get a truly elite young WR at an awesome price, assuming of course Wallace signs the offer sheet and wants to come to NE.  This would be his only leverage.  Either way, get him or not, we win.

clever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft? : clever
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Seattle.  Sometimes I worry about the way my devious mind works.  If I could just use my talents for good instead of evil, lol...

Actually, we did exactly this to Miami when we stole Welker.  First they were stupid enough to try to keep him on the cheap with a 2nd round tender and we walked in with a poison pill contract that they couldn't match so they were forced to trade him.  We gave them a 7th to sweeten the pot.  So a 2nd and 7th for Welker, pick 31 (which is just two picks removed from a 2nd) for Wallace is equal thievery in my book and we couldn't do it to a nicer team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft? : Thanks Seattle.  Sometimes I worry about the way my devious mind works.  If I could just use my talents for good instead of evil, lol... Actually, we did exactly this to Miami when we stole Welker.  First they were stupid enough to try to keep him on the cheap with a 2nd round tender and we walked in with a poison pill contract that they couldn't match so they were forced to trade him.  We gave them a 7th to sweeten the pot.  So a 2nd and 7th for Welker, pick 31 (which is just two picks removed from a 2nd) for Wallace is equal thievery in my book and we couldn't do it to a nicer team.

I think this potential deal would be about how badly we need Wallace. Weighing the options:
    Would BB rather have Wallace for 20 million guaranteed and a 1st round pick? Or maybe a FA like Lloyd and another player for much less guaranteed money. History says BB will go for the lesser WR and use the pick.

He hasn't shown the same type of admiration for Wallace as he did for Welker when he was in MIA

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft? : I think this potential deal would be about how badly we need Wallace. Weighing the options: Would BB rather have Wallace for 20 million guaranteed and a 1st round pick? Or maybe a FA like Lloyd and another player for much less guaranteed money. History says BB will go for the lesser WR and use the pick. He hasn't shown the same type of admiration for Wallace as he did for Welker when he was in MIA
    True.  He hasn't talked up Wallace but then again, I don't know if he was ever asked his opinion.  I think if we were to consider this, we'd offer what we felt Wallace was worth to us knowing we are in a can't lose situation.  He made Ocho the 6th highest player on the team and Ocho was clearly on the decline.  Wallace has improved each year, is only going to be 26 and hasn't missed a game in his 3 years.

Wallace and Foster are the only restricted players that I think are worth a first round pick.  Since our picks are relatively low, the acquisition cost is reasonable but BB must weigh if he thinks he can get a better player with those picks vs. getting either young mega star.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft? : True.  He hasn't talked up Wallace but then again, I don't know if he was ever asked his opinion.  I think if we were to consider this, we'd offer what we felt Wallace was worth to us knowing we are in a can't lose situation.  He made Ocho the 6th highest player on the team and Ocho was clearly on the decline.  Wallace has improved each year, is only going to be 26 and hasn't missed a game in his 3 years. Wallace and Foster are the only restricted players that I think are worth a first round pick.  Since our picks are relatively low, the acquisition cost is reasonable but BB must weigh if he thinks he can get a better player with those picks vs. getting either young mega star.

I think I would much rather have Foster than Mike Wallace. Wallace is a good WR. Foster is a special rb. He had 600 receiving yards too. And will give the Pats a better chance when Brady gets rattled.

Ben Tate played well, and rbs are the easiest position to recycle.Id be interested to see how willing the Texans are on keeping Foster

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you want from the 1st 2 round of the draft? : I think I would much rather have Foster than Mike Wallace. Wallace is a good WR. Foster is a special rb. He had 600 receiving yards too. And will give the Pats a better chance when Brady gets rattled. Ben Tate played well, and rbs are the easiest position to recycle.Id be interested to see how willing the Texans are on keeping Foster
    The Texans are in cap jail.  If we made any kind of reasonable offer, I doubt they have the coin to ante up.  But Foster is probably happy in Texas, closer to his native New Mexico.

25. This post has been removed.