What does everyone think of Vollmer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: What does everyone think of Vollmer?

A 3rd and a 5th might get you up 8 spots in the 1st but that dependant on what othe teams think of the later rounds in the draft. For reference look at last years draft

The Pats made a double trade but essentially it was that they went from #22 to #27 and essentially moved from #119 to #113 and got #90

The Pats have #72 and #92 in the 3rd. Now that's 5 spots so to move up 8 spots it will most likely cost #72 and I'm actually thinking a 4th instead of a 5th considering how far back ours is. So #72 our 4th and #28.

I'm just not sure if it would be worth it. I think you grab the best DE or OLB at #17 and there still will be a great OL/DE at #28.  So players I think will end up at #28 are Wilkerson DE (one of my favorites in the draft), Justin Houston OLB, Tyron Smith OT (he's one of if not the best pure RT's in the draft), Costanzo OT (I have Sherrod, Camiri, Solder ahead of him after the senior bowl so he could fall to this spot), Wisniewski OG/C, M Pouncey OG/C.

At #72 you have some very good players who could be here in Brooks Reed OLB, Robert Sands S, Curtis Brown CB, Daniel Thomas RB, Randall Cobb everything, Marcus Gilbert RT/G, Danny Watkins G, John Moffitt G.

And with the 4th you have Clint Boling G, Will Rackley G, Darius Morris T/G, Alex Linnenkohl G/C, Dwayne Harris WR, Bilal Powell RB, Sione Fua DE

Moving up 8 spots might get us another great player but is the drop off from a player at #20 to #28 large enough to pass up on 2 of the above mentioned? For me I think I'd rather take the chance on 2 players from above and sit back at #28 and grab one of the others

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think the guy has proven he can play both sides and play them very well. He really is a very dynamic player that can pass and run block, plus he has great size and will get even stronger in the NFL training room.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Light was the right tackle in the pro bowl. Look how that worked out for the AFC. haha I think too many people are viewing Kaczur as a given. The guy has had a bad back since day 1. Did he even play a snap this year? He was just ok to start with. I'd be looking for at least a guard and a tackle in the draft. Probably the right side. Light better be ready to take a pay cut to stay with the Pats vause the big German is breathing down his neck. Vollmer played great when Light was out and he was a rookie.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Re: What does everyone think of Vollmer?:
    [QUOTE]A 3rd and a 5th might get you up 8 spots in the 1st but that dependant on what othe teams think of the later rounds in the draft. For reference look at last years draft The Pats made a double trade but essentially it was that they went from #22 to #27 and essentially moved from #119 to #113 and got #90 The Pats have #72 and #92 in the 3rd. Now that's 5 spots so to move up 8 spots it will most likely cost #72 and I'm actually thinking a 4th instead of a 5th considering how far back ours is. So #72 our 4th and #28. I'm just not sure if it would be worth it. I think you grab the best DE or OLB at #17 and there still will be a great OL/DE at #28.  So players I think will end up at #28 are Wilkerson DE (one of my favorites in the draft), Justin Houston OLB, Tyron Smith OT (he's one of if not the best pure RT's in the draft), Costanzo OT (I have Sherrod, Camiri, Solder ahead of him after the senior bowl so he could fall to this spot), Wisniewski OG/C, M Pouncey OG/C. At #72 you have some very good players who could be here in Brooks Reed OLB, Robert Sands S, Curtis Brown CB, Daniel Thomas RB, Randall Cobb everything, Marcus Gilbert RT/G, Danny Watkins G, John Moffitt G. And with the 4th you have Clint Boling G, Will Rackley G, Darius Morris T/G, Alex Linnenkohl G/C, Dwayne Harris WR, Bilal Powell RB, Sione Fua DE Moving up 8 spots might get us another great player but is the drop off from a player at #20 to #28 large enough to pass up on 2 of the above mentioned? For me I think I'd rather take the chance on 2 players from above and sit back at #28 and grab one of the others
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

According to the draft chart #28,#72 and a 5th are more points than pick 18.  I would gladly get the DE and OT we covet and solidify two spots than grab riskier guys.  Plus we would have 33 and our 2nd to grab an OLB and OG/C solidifying both our OL and our front 7.  Yes with that 3rd and 5th we can get some decent guys, but we also only have so many roster spots available.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does everyone think of Vollmer? : According to the draft chart #28,#72 and a 5th are more points than pick 18.  I would gladly get the DE and OT we covet and solidify two spots than grab riskier guys.  Plus we would have 33 and our 2nd to grab an OLB and OG/C solidifying both our OL and our front 7.  Yes with that 3rd and 5th we can get some decent guys, but we also only have so many roster spots available.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

Yes by the draft chart but I'm going from actually draft trades in recent history to move up. And to move up from the late 20's to the late teens 8 spots it generally costs a 1st and a late 2nd or early 3rd and a late 4th or early 5th. Since our 5th is late I think it would end up costing #72 and our 4th but you could be right and it could be #72 and the 5th

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

It is all dependent on how the teams feel.  We moved from 31 to 21 with only throwing in a 3rd a few years back if I recall correctly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]It is all dependent on how the teams feel.  We moved from 31 to 21 with only throwing in a 3rd a few years back if I recall correctly.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

I don't think you remember that right. The only way to get the #31 pick is to lose the SB or trade for it. The only time in the last 10 years we had the 31st pick was in the 08' draft and that one was taken away from us for the incident I don't care to mention

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

As far as O line- IF they resign Mankins, only position that is question, is RG- if Neal retires. If so, they will fill either with Connolly, or another sub (all are ready to fill in),  and draft an OL, most probably after, drafting for needs at OLB and DL. Once all 3 of the above are satisfield, either draft or FA, a runnning back, a clone of Cleveland's bruising, punishing back. Then an WO, 6'3"-6'5", a DB and a strong safety- Overdue, they trade meri. Regard the Pro Bowl-- naming  meri, and ignoring Vollmer--- now you know why mucho fans, including this one, IGNORE it.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]As far as O line- IF they resign Mankins, only position that is question, is RG- if Neal retires. If so, they will fill either with Connolly, or another sub (all are ready to fill in),  and draft an OL, most probably after, drafting for needs at OLB and DL. Once all 3 of the above are satisfield, either draft or FA, a runnning back, a clone of Cleveland's bruising, punishing back. Then an WO, 6'3"-6'5", a DB and a strong safety- Overdue, they trade meri. Regard the Pro Bowl-- naming  meri, and ignoring Vollmer--- now you know why mucho fans, including this one, IGNORE it.    
    Posted by jjaycee[/QUOTE]

Except I believe Light is a free agent, so they need to re-sign both Mankins and Light for Neal to be the only issue. I think they have three holes on the line to fill either with re-signings, draftees, or free agents.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

The o-line will be one area that definitely goes through changes next year.

Even if the Pats sign Mankins and Light there are still questions of Neal's health (and he could likely retire), a couple of backups are free agents or restricted free agents and it is still unknown how severe was Kaczur's injury for an if/when will he come back.

Even if the entire starting line is back, the pats will laos need to look ot replace Koppen as his contract is up after 2011 and although he is smart he is getting pushed back into the pocket too much the past two seasons.

I believe the Pats will resign Light and have Kayzur as a back-up to Voll. With that taken care the Pats would likey draft a G/C (not sure Pouncey is the guy) with one of the first three picks and as there is good depth for interior lineman in the draft another OG or OT in the third or later rounds.

No one knows what BB will do, but I hope they move up this year to grab the players they want rather than moving down. The Oline and Dline are the two places with the biggest need for play makers.

Yes the Patriots need a much much better pass rush, but this can also come from a top gear DE as well as OLB.