What does Guyton's new deal mean for the final depth chart?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Re: What does Guyton's new deal mean for the final depth chart?

I think it means they are parting ways with Eric Alexander and Sam Aiken and Pierre Woods and Guyton are now our ST aces along with Kyle Arringhton and Pat Chung.

Guyton is a nickel line backer, 4;3, 4;2 guy on third down... he will never play OLB in a 3;4 he tried too... and he failed miserably, he was so bad they called UPS and required Colvin.

He is going to be a patriot lifer though and maybe someday you will get what you wish, but it will not be on this contract.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thudias. Show thudias's posts

Doesn't mean anything depth chart wise.  He was/is going to make the team before the deal and still/will make the team now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Guyton is a great depth guy and probably the week 1 starter. It is a good move to sign him and he can be used to cover TE's and chase down screens all over the field. I think a split time guy by mid season with Spikes. One players beef and tackling ability will mesh well with the others speed to seal the edge and cover on 3rd downs.

I am starting to get excited about this LB unit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'm not sure it changes anything. No matter what direction the Pats go Guyton fits into their plans. He called the plays in 85% of the snaps when Mayo was hurt and was good solid situational guy that they could bring in especially when they went to that Helter Skelter defense at the end of the year. He's a BB guy. Relatively short money and he produces. But if somebody like Spikes steps up he'll be in there in a heart beat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

it means the patriots can rotate 2 LB's on every down until they find the group that works best together.

1ST) TBC, SPIKES, MAYO, BURGESS

2ND) BURGESS, MACKENZIE, MAYO, CUNN

3RD) CUNN, MAYO, GUYTON

4TH) BURGESS, MACKENZIE, SPIKES, MAYO 

talk about fresh legs

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Have any of you looked at Mayo's numbers from last year? According to ProFootballFocus his numbers didn't look good. I realize that he was playing hurt but seeing how he struggled gives me hope that he'll play up to his standard this year and that alone could have a huge difference on this defense.

Profootball.com says they're average player grade is a 0; these numbers are based on stats they collect from actual play. They graded Mayo as a -3.5 which is very bad and Guyton was rated -2.2. O is the average so both of these players have work to do. It would seem to me that Mayo is not on the hook from the fans for his play last year because he's still milking his rookie year and he player hurt. He needs to play much better though and if he does it will be a huge improvement to the defense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: What does Guyton's new deal mean for the final depth chart?:
    Have any of you looked at Mayo's numbers from last year? According to ProFootballFocus his numbers didn't look good. I realize that he was playing hurt but seeing how he struggled gives me hope that he'll play up to his standard this year and that alone could have a huge difference on this defense. Profootball.com says they're average player grade is a 0; these numbers are based on stats they collect from actual play. They graded Mayo as a -3.5 which is very bad and Guyton was rated -2.2. O is the average so both of these players have work to do. It would seem to me that Mayo is not on the hook from the fans for his play last year because he's still milking his rookie year and he player hurt. He needs to play much better though and if he does it will be a huge improvement to the defense.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron

I can't imagine anyone writing Mayo out of the lineup. I didn't even think his numbers were bad last year especially considering the games he missed and the fact that he just wasn't the same after that injury. He's a given in the middle and  I think TBC is a given on the outside. It's everyone else in that linebacking crew that's up for grabs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to Re: What does Guyton's new deal mean for the final depth chart? : I can't imagine anyone writing Mayo out of the lineup. I didn't even think his numbers were bad last year especially considering the games he missed and the fact that he just wasn't the same after that injury. He's a given in the middle and  I think TBC is a given on the outside. It's everyone else in that linebacking crew that's up for grabs.
    Posted by ewhite1065

I wasn't suggesting having Mayo out of the lineup but I didn't realize how badly he played last year.  My point is that if the Pats can win when he's bad then they'll be that much better if he improves and recaptures that rookie year.  If he doesn't improve fast though he won't be a given in the middle for very long.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

IMO Guyton is used covering tightends on passing downs downfield and special teams. 

With Mayo, Spikes and McKenzie in the middle we'll have a nice rotation.  We have depth at OLB as well and with another defensive end (Gerrard Warren) up front we should generate more push to open those outside guys up...  I'm pumped for Patriot football this season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: What does Guyton's new deal mean for the final depth chart? : I wasn't suggesting having Mayo out of the lineup but I didn't realize how badly he played last year.  My point is that if the Pats can win when he's bad then they'll be that much better if he improves and recaptures that rookie year.  If he doesn't improve fast though he won't be a given in the middle for very long.

Oh yeah, I know..I was pointing at the article you referenced. I think Mayo will be back in form this year. This whole defense was in disarray last year with the young guys and all the injuries.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

People just assumed that Brandon Spikes was going to take Guyton's job just because Spikes was a Gator. Guyton's only problem last year was his inability to get of his blocker. 

It's clear that Belichick likes speed in his LB (2008 LB draft corps had 3 LBs with sub 4.6 40 yards in Mayo, Guyton and Crable). 

The MLB depth chart was, and still is: 

Mayo
    Guyton
    McKenzie
    Spikes

Spikes has been calling plays because if Mayo gets hurt the Pats don't want to go back to a 43 base like they did last year. Spikes could step in and play SSILB while Guyton stays at the weakside.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: What does Guyton's new deal mean for the final depth chart? : I wasn't suggesting having Mayo out of the lineup but I didn't realize how badly he played last year.  My point is that if the Pats can win when he's bad then they'll be that much better if he improves and recaptures that rookie year.  If he doesn't improve fast though he won't be a given in the middle for very long.

There is something to be said for this. We all know that knee injury( which looked very bad at the time) slowed Mayo down the entire year. At the same time the year before he had one of the best Linebackers to ever wear a Patriot uniform(#54 for you trolls out there) telling him where to be and what to do. Might make a rookie's job pretty easy when all they have to do is tackle the guy with the ball and not lead the defense.

Obviously I like Mayo and i think he will do well, but it made me nervous when Guyton continued to call plays after mayo came back. I'm just saying that Mayo is not a lock to be a Pro Bowl player until he duplicates his 08 season. Hopefully he does.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

While Guyton isn't going to light the NFL on fire or make the Pro Bowl, you NEED guys like him on every team.  Guys who know their jobs and can get it done.  Guys that can be counted upon in the trenches, understand the playbook and who aren't going to break the bank.  While we can argue all day on whether he should be a starter or not, there is no argument at all in regards to if he deserves to make the team or not.  Good signing IMHO.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I don't need him to be a pro bowl player, Vrabel made one pro bowl and i think Bruschi made one as well and i don't think anyone but trolls would argue that they were pretty damn good for this football team. He just needs to be a gamer and that will be fine. London Fletcher is one of the best and most liked linebackers in the game, He has never had less then 100 tackles in a season and he has NEVER made the pro bowl.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Yeah I probably should have said "defensive leader" as opposed to pro bowler. Speaking for myself I kind of assume that Mayo will be the leader in terms of production and that will be the key to our LB unit. I still think he will but at the same time maybe it's not as much of a guarantee as I think it is. I couldn't care less about pro bowl voting considering how many times our players were snubbed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

While Guyton isn't going to light the NFL on fire or make the Pro Bowl, you NEED guys like him on every team.  Guys who know their jobs and can get it done.  Guys that can be counted upon in the trenches, understand the playbook and who aren't going to break the bank.  While we can argue all day on whether he should be a starter or not, there is no argument at all in regards to if he deserves to make the team or not.  Good signing IMHO.   
    Posted by agill1970

Exactly. At the very least he provides quality depth. Good signing.

Interestingly, his agent made this comment, "They've always been true to their word with us, which is great."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

At that pay rate he's a good backup LB.  Spikes is going to run the defense, probably, and Mayo is in, so Guyton is next in line and on special teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

Thomas Williams has been making waves at ILB.  He has also been used as a full back on offense.  I think Thomas Williams will supplant Eric Alexander as ILB depth and STer.  The Pats have amassed a multitude of talent and depth at ILB.  They have done the same at the safety and corners position.  This defense could surprise people.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

People just assumed that Brandon Spikes was going to take Guyton's job just because Spikes was a Gator. Guyton's only problem last year was his inability to get of his blocker.  It's clear that Belichick likes speed in his LB (2008 LB draft corps had 3 LBs with sub 4.6 40 yards in Mayo, Guyton and Crable).  The MLB depth chart was, and still is:  Mayo Guyton McKenzie Spikes Spikes has been calling plays because if Mayo gets hurt the Pats don't want to go back to a 43 base like they did last year. Spikes could step in and play SSILB while Guyton stays at the weakside.
    Posted by 49Patriots

If everybody is healthy Guyton still does not start, it may just be my opinion but time will tell.  Inside linebackers need to be fluid, shed blockers, have a low center of gravity to gain leverage and Guyton is none of that.  He plays more upright and is a strider, I still say Spikes starts out of training camp and if he doesn't it will be because McKenzie is playing off the grid.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

The extension means little in terms of being a starter Killa.  Sanders is a great example of that.  He was given a fairly decent extension and sat on the bench most of last year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

What does Guyton's extension mean for Shawn Crable. Does Crable get released before season starts? Like Chad Jackson and Kevin O'Connel etc, other failed 2nd-3rd rounders who were kept on roster uptil season start and then released.
    Posted by murghkhor

Absolutely nothing. Crable plays OLB, Guyton plays inside. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: What does Guyton's new deal mean for the final depth chart? : If everybody is healthy Guyton still does not start, it may just be my opinion but time will tell.  Inside linebackers need to be fluid, shed blockers, have a low center of gravity to gain leverage and Guyton is none of that.  He plays more upright and is a strider, I still say Spikes starts out of training camp and if he doesn't it will be because McKenzie is playing off the grid.
    Posted by wozzy

I really doubt Spikes is that good a LB. The only game I want Brandon to start this year is against the Colts. Peyton Manning could use a good eye poking. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I'm actually pretty excited to see how our ILB play this year. Mayo, Spikes, McKenzie, and Guyton. Not a bad foursome. That to go along with our DB's should be fun. My only concern on the D is the play of the OLB and open DE position. If we can get some production at both of those spots it's going to be a fun year watching the D play some ball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: What does Guyton's new deal mean for the final depth chart? : I really doubt Spikes is that good a LB. The only game I want Brandon to start this year is against the Colts. Peyton Manning could use a good eye poking. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

A four year starter, all SEC selection every year at the biggest college program in the country... not that good?  Only time will tell but I'll be sure to revive this thread if I'm right and ignore it if I'm wrong lol...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I like Guytons versatility.  Considering how often the Pats get out of their base defense and the need for creativity in defense he looks to be an integral piece even if he is not part of the base set.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

What does Guyton's new deal mean for the final depth chart?

It just got a little weaker at the position.