What Does Tebow Have To Do To Make The Team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: What Does Tebow Have To Do To Make The Team?

In response to RallyC's comment:

He's on the final 53 if he stays alive between now and final cuts. Period. 

TE?  LOL! 

Just playing!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Why? I still haven't heard a single solid argument why he makes the team. The closes reason I've heard is McDaniels and BB's vaniety. That they could turn him into an actual player when no one else could. Considering what we've seen so far I don't think even BB can convince himself that Tebow is an actual QB

ENG, because it is a strategically sound decision to have an improvisational, primarily running QB as your 3rd teamer and #53 guy on the roster, especially one who is as lauded the way Tim is. You can't compare him to similar first teamers like RG3 or CK, #1 roster guys...of course, but you can compare him to the rest of the 3rd teamers, and even the other #53 roster guys on each team in the NFL. How many of them have taken their teams to, and have won a playoff game again?????  But the BEST reason is to have other teams spend valuable time every week to prepare for a Tebow (#53 roster guy!) package, and that ain't easy to do!!!  A read option in the NFL requires crazy defensive prep. If you havent had to do it, then you probably wouldnt understand how valuable "live reps" are in learning your defensive assignments against that kind of attack. Its not as simple as "just playing a base D and being patient". NFL weeks allow for live reps for only about 6-hrs per wk. Assuming a D prepares for the primary O for at least 4 of those 6 hrs, u have maybe a couple of hrs to prepare your first two deep on the tertiary attack! That isn't long enough, but most importantly, ANY time to prepare for it robs time from your prep for the PATS' complex, prmary O. In the art of War, this gives us a huge advantage.

Also.......The guy turns focus away from the horrid off-season and helps to rebuild Org image, character, and wins the parents over as a legit role model for their kids, FUTURE TICKET BUYERS....Good business! Lastly, Tim can play other positions in a pinch,  DIVERSITY. What does BB value most in his players?  How many more reasons do you need to keep TT AS YOUR #53 player on the roster?????? TT IS THE MOST RELEVANT #53 player IN THE ENTIRE NFL. He must be. Why would we be talking about him so much if he weren't? Your turn, bro! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

TE?  LOL! 

Just playing!

LOL! TFB......I know, I know......HOWEVER, upon review, you'll note that the point of my OP was to get you all to see why the idea to try it made sense. To the contrary, you and many others insisted that it did not and that it wouldn't even be a consideration by the team. By virtue of BB having him catch passes alredy in camp vindicates my position and proves that it was a legit, proposal. You know I never said that it would stick, or even work, simply that it was worth exploring based on the situation at hand. Which, in the end, BB obviously agreed with. Also, lets not forget, the season is verrry long, and even though I've already been proven correct in my prediction of consideration of it, I have until Feb 2014 to be able to say, "I TOLD YA SO!" when TT catches a pass in a real game.....Luv ya man!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

ENG, because it is a strategically sound decision to have an improvisational, primarily running QB as your 3rd teamer and #53 guy on the roster, especially one who is as lauded the way Tim is. You can't compare him to similar first teamers like RG3 or CK, #1 roster guys...of course, but you can compare him to the rest of the 3rd teamers, and even the other #53 roster guys on each team in the NFL. How many of them have taken their teams to, and have won a playoff game again?????  But the BEST reason is to have other teams spend valuable time every week to prepare for a Tebow (#53 roster guy!) package, and that ain't easy to do!!!  A read option in the NFL requires crazy defensive prep. If you havent had to do it, then you probably wouldnt understand how valuable "live reps" are in learning your defensive assignments against that kind of attack. Its not as simple as "just playing a base D and being patient". NFL weeks allow for live reps for only about 6-hrs per wk. Assuming a D prepares for the primary O for at least 4 of those 6 hrs, u have maybe a couple of hrs to prepare your first two deep on the tertiary attack! That isn't long enough, but most importantly, ANY time to prepare for it robs time from your prep for the PATS' complex, prmary O. In the art of War, this gives us a huge advantage.

Also.......The guy turns focus away from the horrid off-season and helps to rebuild Org image, character, and wins the parents over as a legit role model for their kids, FUTURE TICKET BUYERS....Good business! Lastly, Tim can play other positions in a pinch,  DIVERSITY. What does BB value most in his players?  How many more reasons do you need to keep TT AS YOUR #53 player on the roster?????? TT IS THE MOST RELEVANT #53 player IN THE ENTIRE NFL. He must be. Why would we be talking about him so much if he weren't? Your turn, bro! 

Rally, if he's the 53man player than he won't be active on gameday, why would and team spend any amount of time preparing for a player that won't be active? Teams don't care about hype unless they are trying to sell tickets. If any coach spent any amount of time on a #3 QB then they need to be fired. Additionally all you need to do to prepare for Tebow is practice defending the run. Any coach worth his paycheck would pray to have the Pats take Brady off the field and have Tebow try to throw the ball. There is a much higher chance of an incomplete with Tebow on the field than Brady. Not to mention it takes time to switch QB's on the field (see Jets last year) so you are essentially removing one of the Pats biggest weapons in the up tempo offense just by switching them in and out. Also as much as the D has to "prepare" as you claim your team also has to at least prepare in the same way. An empty threat that you don't use is just that an empty threat. So, you have to practice with him meaning you are taking as much rep time if not more from Brady and the 1st stringers as a D trying to defend it. You want to know how you practice for Tebow, you don't. You dare BB to take Brady off the field and you practice to defend against Brady and the run and say if Tebow is on the field treat it as if they were directly snapping to a RB.

As for practice, you yourself admit he's not comparable to RGIII and CK so there is no point using him to practice for them. He's just using up a spot that can be done by a PS eligible player. The thing about option QB's is they are only good when they can throw on the run and Tebow can't throw period. Again, teams would pray to have Tebow run the option on them. It took a couple games but teams figured out Tebow by the end of the 11' season and basically let Tebow run wild daring him to throw and he couldn't. He failed badly down the stretch, actually he wasn't all that good in the wins either. 

BTW " TT IS THE MOST RELEVANT #53 player IN THE ENTIRE NFL" isn't true. He's the most relevant #53 player to fans only not to the NFL otherwise 29 other teams would have been looking to sign Tebow instead of him signing a backup deal in the CFL before the Pats came knocking. He's not lauded by any NFL team because no one even offered him a contract but the Pats.

He must be. Why would we be talking about him so much if he weren't? Because fans love him for no reason other than he's a nice guy and is Christian. I mean really think about it. It's completely media driven as the majority of 1st string QBs don't get this much attention let alone 2nd string QBs who are much better than him.

Any time you take a HoF QB off the field or out of the play for a running back who pretends to through for a gimmick play based solely because fans like him it's not just stratigically unsound it's what costs coaches to lose their jobs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Rally, if he's the 53man player than he won't be active on gameday, why would and team spend any amount of time preparing for a player that won't be active? Teams don't care about hype unless they are trying to sell tickets. If any coach spent any amount of time on a #3 QB then they need to be fired. Additionally all you need to do to prepare for Tebow is practice defending the run. Any coach worth his paycheck would pray to have the Pats take Brady off the field and have Tebow try to throw the ball. There is a much higher chance of an incomplete with Tebow on the field than Brady. Not to mention it takes time to switch QB's on the field (see Jets last year) so you are essentially removing one of the Pats biggest weapons in the up tempo offense just by switching them in and out. Also as much as the D has to "prepare" as you claim your team also has to at least prepare in the same way. An empty threat that you don't use is just that an empty threat. So, you have to practice with him meaning you are taking as much rep time if not more from Brady and the 1st stringers as a D trying to defend it. You want to know how you practice for Tebow, you don't. You dare BB to take Brady off the field and you practice to defend against Brady and the run and say if Tebow is on the field treat it as if they were directly snapping to a RB.

As for practice, you yourself admit he's not comparable to RGIII and CK so there is no point using him to practice for them. He's just using up a spot that can be done by a PS eligible player. The thing about option QB's is they are only good when they can throw on the run and Tebow can't throw period. Again, teams would pray to have Tebow run the option on them. It took a couple games but teams figured out Tebow by the end of the 11' season and basically let Tebow run wild daring him to throw and he couldn't. He failed badly down the stretch, actually he wasn't all that good in the wins either. 

BTW " TT IS THE MOST RELEVANT #53 player IN THE ENTIRE NFL" isn't true. He's the most relevant #53 player to fans only not to the NFL otherwise 29 other teams would have been looking to sign Tebow instead of him signing a backup deal in the CFL before the Pats came knocking. He's not lauded by any NFL team because no one even offered him a contract but the Pats.

He must be. Why would we be talking about him so much if he weren't? Because fans love him for no reason other than he's a nice guy and is Christian. I mean really think about it. It's completely media driven as the majority of 1st string QBs don't get this much attention let alone 2nd string QBs who are much better than him.

Any time you take a HoF QB off the field or out of the play for a running back who pretends to through for a gimmick play based solely because fans like him it's not just stratigically unsound it's what costs coaches to lose their jobs.

Eng, OK, then call him the #46 guy, as your statement is valid, #53 doesn't get to dress, but certainly if it helps you better get my point. Regardless! Along with several reasons you personally just gave as answers to your own question as to "Why?" Tebow would make the team, your inability to fathom the concept that having TT gives our team a strategic advantage tells me that you don't think strategically about the game, but much more about it in a tactical sense. That's absoutely normal for the vast majority of fans. Bottom line, the reasons I gave you I see as very legit and sustantive. BB is a world class strategist and master manipulator (He went to a Militray Academy!), oh and he happens to be THE BEST HEAD COACH IN THE NFL, JMHO, I guess. If you don't want to believe me and my assumptions as to "Why?", then at least believe that the guy who is doing what you don't want to grasp is doing the right thing for the team, no matter the reason "Why?". WE are simply taking a side and justifying our takes. Fortunately for me, I appear to agree with BB.........You obviously do not. Nuff said?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

TE?  LOL! 

Just playing!

LOL! TFB......I know, I know......HOWEVER, upon review, you'll note that the point of my OP was to get you all to see why the idea to try it made sense. To the contrary, you and many others insisted that it did not and that it wouldn't even be a consideration by the team. By virtue of BB having him catch passes alredy in camp vindicates my position and proves that it was a legit, proposal. You know I never said that it would stick, or even work, simply that it was worth exploring based on the situation at hand. Which, in the end, BB obviously agreed with. Also, lets not forget, the season is verrry long, and even though I've already been proven correct in my prediction of consideration of it, I have until Feb 2014 to be able to say, "I TOLD YA SO!" when TT catches a pass in a real game.....Luv ya man!

LOL!  No, no!  You have always made it sound like he was going to be a part of the offense as a TE.  Not just ONE pass!!  And yes, you have until Feb 2014 for this to be the case.  And if he does become a part of the offense and catches many passes as a TE then I will buy you a beer.  Matter of fact, I will buy you several beers!!

But as far as Tebow being on the Patriots, it's already decided.  Which is it going to be?  On the Team?  Off the Team?  I don't know which way I am leaning on this.  Cheers, dude!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

TE?  LOL! 

Just playing!

LOL!  No, no!  You have always made it sound like he was going to be a part of the offense as a TE.  Not just ONE pass!!  And yes, you have until Feb 2014 for this to be the case.  And if he does become a part of the offense and catches many passes as a TE then I will buy you a beer.  Matter of fact, I will buy you several beers!!

But as far as Tebow being on the Patriots, it's already decided.  Which is it going to be?  On the Team?  Off the Team?  I don't know which way I am leaning on this.  Cheers, dude!

Here ya go TFB.....the evidence of my position on exploring Tim Tebow as a possible TE and the resulting dialogue that followed simply because I posed the idea that I thought the team would likely explore the possibility with him. As you'll see, many vehemently disagreed that the team would ever consider it. Caution! This is the link back to the infamous thread that lead to our rediculous back and forth. So, to clarify, I never once said that Tim "was going to be a part of the offense as a TE". My point was that it was a realisitic possibility that BB would explore it. Hard to believe that the thread got so out of control and it was never anything more than me making a suggestion that I thought BB would explore the possibility. Yup, all true.....Don't read too far into the thread though....it gets kinda stupid all the way around, if ya remember:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/if-no-a-hern-then-shouldnt-it-be-tebow-time-for-real/100/6704799?page=1

Never the less, I feel the decision has already been made also, and that he does in fact make the team. We shall soon see!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

"I think if you look at the entire week last week that it will look different than the game did," Belichick said. --the USA Toady article.

Preseason tea leaves are notoriously hard to read, but here I think the coach is telling the plain truth.  Tebow practiced well.  All we know is that BB refused to play Tebow in Detroit. Here are some possibilities:

Possibility #1:  Tebow did something to get in BB's doghouse last week.  Remember, BB wants to know whether to cut Tim Tebow right now or hang on to him, so not playing him is noteworthy.  If Tebow were to be certainly cut he could have been cut last Wednesday, so he's still on the bubble.  Probability:  10%

Possibility #2:  Detroit is a hostile environment.  Tebow has exhibited a good learning curve overall under Josh McDaniels, but he was kind of falling apart in Foxboro, possibly because he didn't really know the playbook?  BB and McDaniels decided that Tebow wasn't going to learn anything in Detroit other than how hard the defensive guys can hit him when he runs through the line.  Tebow will be a credible threat in clear running situations, better even than Tom Brady on second and 2 when your team is 21 points ahead in the fourth quarter,  but Tebow won't be up to snuff until maybe November.  Until then, Josh McDaniels needs to soak a year's worth of New York's toxic sludge out of the poor guy.  Probability:  10%

Possibility #3:  BB wanted New England to lose big -- this is preseason, after all, better to at least try to lower people's expectations by fumbling all over the place -- and Tebow can't help himself when he runs wild.   The dude has to get himself his first downs.  Probability:  10%

Possibility #4:  Tebow is no good, But BB needs to hang onto him in case Mallett goes down.  BB isn't about to put Brady back in during the fourth quarter of a meaningless preseason game.  Tebow will probably get his papers the day after the fourth game.  Tebow isn't even good enough to relieve Mallett late in the fourth quarter.  Probability:   30%

Possibility #5:  BB owed Mallett some "quality time" (when you are directly ordered to throw incompletions on half of your plays, that's not exactly quality, but most QBs will take it) because Mallett got injured in a previous game and Tebow got all the reps.  Probability:  50%.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Tebow is potentially a TE.  That being said, if that is the role he is going to earn - how does his current skill set compare with the other TEs currently on the roster? I'd still rather keep a guy, let's say Sudfeld or Hooman or Fells vs. Tebow.  Why? Because they probably already have TE skillsets (receiving or blocking) that exceed Tebow's skills for receiving and/or blocking.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

Tebow is potentially a TE.  That being said, if that is the role he is going to earn - how does his current skill set compare with the other TEs currently on the roster? I'd still rather keep a guy, let's say Sudfeld or Hooman or Fells vs. Tebow.  Why? Because they probably already have TE skillsets (receiving or blocking) that exceed Tebow's skills for receiving and/or blocking.

Anon, it isn't that Tebow is potentially a starting NFL TE. It is that Tebow could serve as a stop gap for several different positions on the offense to include an H-Back type TE, etc. due to his freakish atheticism and proven durability. Along with that, he brings a legit running alternative to our pass heavy offense if BB chooses to employ a clock eating, grind it out scheme for the sake of preserving Tom at any time. Diversity, options, with NFL talent. And, though he doesn't do it for me as a fan, there is a huge segment of the NFL fan base who think he's a great guy who brings some civility to what we have seen as a very image damaging off season to date. All of these reasons could be categorized in the damage control/emergency contingencies category. Ya know what I mean? He will officailly be categorized as a 3rd team QB, but BB sees him purely as an offensive football player who does whatever HE tells him it takes to win. Hopefully, he proves to be a luxury who has moments of brilliance when called upon in tactically appropriate situations throughout the year. I say he does have a positive impact in many ways.....the most of which is strategic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Here ya go TFB.....the evidence of my position on exploring Tim Tebow as a possible TE and the resulting dialogue that followed simply because I posed the idea that I thought the team would likely explore the possibility with him. As you'll see, many vehemently disagreed that the team would ever consider it. Caution! This is the link back to the infamous thread that lead to our rediculous back and forth. So, to clarify, I never once said that Tim "was going to be a part of the offense as a TE". My point was that it was a realisitic possibility that BB would explore it. Hard to believe that the thread got so out of control and it was never anything more than me making a suggestion that I thought BB would explore the possibility. Yup, all true.....Don't read too far into the thread though....it gets kinda stupid all the way around, if ya remember:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/patriots/on-the-front-burner/if-no-a-hern-then-shouldnt-it-be-tebow-time-for-real/100/6704799?page=1

Never the less, I feel the decision has already been made also, and that he does in fact make the team. We shall soon see!

Boy, that thread is ugly!  There were a few threads going around during that time so maybe there was a different thread that made me think you said that.  Or maybe not, maybe I just thought you said that and that's why it ended up getting so ugly..  Whatever the case, I'm glad we are on better terms, lol!  Those discussions got way out of hand.

Like I said, I think it was decided a long time ago that he was going to make the team.  I think there is a place for him on the team attitude wise, work ethic wise, just a good, positive locker room guy.  Good example to all the rookies plus they put in a little offense for him too.  But man, after the Bucs game I started having doubts then no time last night brings on more doubts.  I'm curious how he will be used next game.  He should get some time vs the Giants.    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Anon, it isn't that Tebow is potentially a starting NFL TE. It is that Tebow could serve as a stop gap for several different positions on the offense to include an H-Back type TE, etc. due to his freakish atheticism and proven durability. Along with that, he brings a legit running alternative to our pass heavy offense if BB chooses to employ a clock eating, grind it out scheme for the sake of preserving Tom at any time. Diversity, options, with NFL talent. And, though he doesn't do it for me as a fan, there is a huge segment of the NFL fan base who think he's a great guy who brings some civility to what we have seen as a very image damaging off season to date. All of these reasons could be categorized in the damage control/emergency contingencies category. Ya know what I mean? He will officailly be categorized as a 3rd team QB, but BB sees him purely as an offensive football player who does whatever HE tells him it takes to win. Hopefully, he proves to be a luxury who has moments of brilliance when called upon in tactically appropriate situations throughout the year. I say he does have a positive impact in many ways.....the most of which is strategic.

Haven't some of the TEs already covered those stop gaps?

Aren't the RBs, OL, and TEs supposed to already be a  running alternative ?

A great teammate who doesn't play shouldn't be on the team. If you're talking about the possibility of Tebow being used for possibly 1 or two trick plays during the course of the year. Not sure If I buy that.

I agree he has some non-performance related qualities that are attractive to a team - but, I'm thinking at this level of play - it's less important than lets say a college or high school football team.  At the pro leve, those characteristics are more of a PR ploy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbaker. Show dbaker's posts

In Mr. Tebo's case, I think we lose sight of the fact that football is about money and I doubt there is any 53rd player in fooball who will generate as much money for a franchise, just in jersey sales alone, than Mr Tebo. And to add to that his national exsposure is off the charts.

flashlight

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to dbaker's comment:

In Mr. Tebo's case, I think we lose sight of the fact that football is about money and I doubt there is any 53rd player in fooball who will generate as much money for a franchise, just in jersey sales alone, than Mr Tebo. And to add to that his national exsposure is off the charts.

flashlight

yep

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]

Boy, that thread is ugly!  There were a few threads going around during that time so maybe there was a different thread that made me think you said that.  Or maybe not, maybe I just thought you said that and that's why it ended up getting so ugly..  Whatever the case, I'm glad we are on better terms, lol!  Those discussions got way out of hand.

Like I said, I think it was decided a long time ago that he was going to make the team.  I think there is a place for him on the team attitude wise, work ethic wise, just a good, positive locker room guy.  Good example to all the rookies plus they put in a little offense for him too.  But man, after the Bucs game I started having doubts then no time last night brings on more doubts.  I'm curious how he will be used next game.  He should get some time vs the Giants.    

[/QUOTE]
    Ya know, lastnight has me a bit off balance too. But, I can easily see why TT didn't play. His purpose, as you said so accurately above, is serving largely as an off the field influence. There are several reasons as to why BB kept TT out of the game last night, no the least of which I think is to avoid having Tim show poorly and then making it that much harder for BB to face the world after keeping him. Never the less, BB is up to something with Tim, and it doesn't appear to be cutting him is the answer. BB has had plenty of time to evaluate him both as a Patriot and as a QB with Denver and the Jests. Curious, to say the least as to what BB has planned. Whatever it is, its gonna work. JMHO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

flashlight

You are right about the NFL being a business and it's all about money.  But you have to ask yourself this......

From a money stand point, could his spot be used for someone who could better help them win a championship?  Championship money > then jersey sales money.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]

Haven't some of the TEs already covered those stop gaps?

Aren't the RBs, OL, and TEs supposed to already be a  running alternative ?

A great teammate who doesn't play shouldn't be on the team. If you're talking about the possibility of Tebow being used for possibly 1 or two trick plays during the course of the year. Not sure If I buy that.

I agree he has some non-performance related qualities that are attractive to a team - but, I'm thinking at this level of play - it's less important than lets say a college or high school football team.  At the pro leve, those characteristics are more of a PR ploy.

[/QUOTE]
    Nope. I see him as being much more relevant than a couple of plays. LETS NOT FORGET that TT took a 2-5 team that was in the midst of a QB controversy, went on a 6-game win streak during which his team was in deep holes going into the 4th quarter of the majority of those games only to see Tim pull off amazing comebacks to win. The team to break the streak, our NE PATS. And once they made it to the play-offs, miracle deep pass to beat the heavily favored Steelers. You don't do that kinda stuff without possessing something special. Tim did these things on the big stage, too. The other players you are talking about are other players that you aren't even mentioning by name. Not the same type or caliber of player in my mind. We shall see what Bill is planning very soon. Stop gap is the smallest role that Tim fills. AND IF HE CUTS TIM.........I will simply be wrong. Not gonna happen, though...........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

flashlight

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

There are several reasons as to why BB kept TT out of the game last night, no the least of which I think is to avoid having Tim show poorly and then making it that much harder for BB to face the world after keeping him. Never the less, BB is up to something with Tim, and it doesn't appear to be cutting him is the answer. BB has had plenty of time to evaluate him both as a Patriot and as a QB with Denver and the Jests. Curious, to say the least as to what BB has planned. Whatever it is, its gonna work. JMHO.

Boom!  You nailed it Rally, I didn't even think of that one.  It will be interesting to see what BB's plan with him is.

Ok, here is a question for you.... I seen some tweets about this after it aired the other night and it got me to thinking.  Since you are on here today I would like your take on it since you have played at the highest level before. 

The other night on HBO's Hard Knocks, Marvin Lewis was talking to the trainer and said that making the team is determined during the preseason games and not on the practice field.  He said doing well in practice gives you the opportunity to play in preseason games which is where it will be determined if you make the team.  Agree or disagree?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

There are several reasons as to why BB kept TT out of the game last night, no the least of which I think is to avoid having Tim show poorly and then making it that much harder for BB to face the world after keeping him. Never the less, BB is up to something with Tim, and it doesn't appear to be cutting him is the answer. BB has had plenty of time to evaluate him both as a Patriot and as a QB with Denver and the Jests. Curious, to say the least as to what BB has planned. Whatever it is, its gonna work. JMHO.

Boom!  You nailed it Rally, I didn't even think of that one.  It will be interesting to see what BB's plan with him is.

Ok, here is a question for you.... I seen some tweets about this after it aired the other night and it got me to thinking.  Since you are on here today I would like your take on it since you have played at the highest level before. 

The other night on HBO's Hard Knocks, Marvin Lewis was talking to the trainer and said that making the team is determined during the preseason games and not on the practice field.  He said doing well in practice gives you the opportunity to play in preseason games which is where it will be determined if you make the team.  Agree or disagree?

Yes TFB, I absolutely agree with that philosophy. It is the natural order of the way things work in sports, and for the most part the more important aspects of all of our lives. Of course, in order to play in the preseason games, you must be on the practice field and healthy. If you do so, no matter how you perform in practice, you will invariably find yourself on the stage (pre-season games) as EVERY player on the squad who dresses eventually does, for their shot at making that impact play that makes the coaches pause to remember them the next day. That one play that the coaches hit the replay button about 10-times for during team meetings and film review while saying, "You see that! This is how it is supposed to be done. No other way! Exactly like this. Great job Mike!" Mike may have only played one series and made one play all game, but that single play will keep Mike's job for at least the next week, maybe more. That doesn't happen for great practice players.

The only true place to prove yourself is in live game action. Some guys get a handful of plays in those games, others get longer looks. But it is what it is and you had better not take a single play off as it may be your very last. Practice, as Allen Iverson once said so elloquently, "We talkin' bout practice! Not a game, Practice!" I knew some great practice players in my life that NEVER saw the filed except for those few preseason game reps that they had no impact on. As we often see, many a damned good player gets cut because he is injured during camp and just can't get out there. Obviously, veterans are a whole different story as they have documented history and statistics. But, for new guys? Yes, if you are a great practice player and don't perform in the preseason games, or injury keeps you out so much that you can't show live action brilliance, or at least competance, C-YA! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Yes TFB, I absolutely agree with that philosophy. It is the natural order of the way things work in sports, and for the most part the more important aspects of all of our lives. Of course, in order to play in the preseason games, you must be on the practice field and healthy. If you do so, no matter how you perform in practice, you will invariably find yourself on the stage (pre-season games) as EVERY player on the squad who dresses eventually does, for their shot at making that impact play that makes the coaches pause to remember them the next day. That one play that the coaches hit the replay button about 10-times for during team meetings and film review while saying, "You see that! This is how it is supposed to be done. No other way! Exactly like this. Great job Mike!" Mike may have only played one series and made one play all game, but that single play will keep Mike's job for at least the next week, maybe more. That doesn't happen for great practice players.

The only true place to prove yourself is in live game action. Some guys get a handful of plays in those games, others get longer looks. But it is what it is and you had better not take a single play off as it may be your very last. Practice, as Allen Iverson once said so elloquently, "We talkin' bout practice! Not a game, Practice!" I knew some great practice players in my life that NEVER saw the filed except for those few preseason game reps that they had no impact on. As we often see, many a damned good player gets cut because he is injured during camp and just can't get out there. Obviously, veterans are a whole different story as they have documented history and statistics. But, for new guys? Yes, if you are a great practice player and don't perform in the preseason games, or injury keeps you out so much that you can't show live action brilliance, or at least competance, C-YA! 

Excellent post.

Man, this is so true and has to be so discouraging for so many guys...

[QUOTE]

"I knew some great practice players in my life that NEVER saw the filed except for those few preseason game reps that they had no impact on."

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

flashlight

That was why the Jets got him. But it does not explain why they got rid of him especially when they are more concerned about revenue than the Pats. The reason... he is just so bad that it is actually demoralizing when a real player is the last cut. 

So.... would you sign the Pope, or a famous reverend just to play to religious fans?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

So... to answer the question posed by this thread - he would have to be signed as a coach or team chaplin. Or.... if he walks into BBs office and says he will learn and play any position period then he might get a shot at something. But I doubt he makes this group of TEs or RBs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Nope. I see him as being much more relevant than a couple of plays. LETS NOT FORGET that TT took a 2-5 team that was in the midst of a QB controversy, went on a 6-game win streak during which his team was in deep holes going into the 4th quarter of the majority of those games only to see Tim pull off amazing comebacks to win. The team to break the streak, our NE PATS. And once they made it to the play-offs, miracle deep pass to beat the heavily favored Steelers. You don't do that kinda stuff without possessing something special. Tim did these things on the big stage, too. The other players you are talking about are other players that you aren't even mentioning by name. Not the same type or caliber of player in my mind. We shall see what Bill is planning very soon. Stop gap is the smallest role that Tim fills. AND IF HE CUTS TIM.........I will simply be wrong. Not gonna happen, though...........

I have never questioned that Tebow made enough plays with Denver to help them win games.  On the other hand, don't forget that the Denver defense was kicking butt, and keeping them in games.

And, it's not about names, it's about getting a job done.  Hernandez, who had a name, played hback. There's no reason why a different skill player/TE can't do the same.

I do question how often Tebow will get playing time.  It's not like he's gonna pull a Vrabel. Sorry, just ain't gonna happen.

Trick plays, sure.  Those only work about 50% of the time.