what good is it to be stout against run in a passing league

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

what good is it to be stout against run in a passing league

The Pats have a pretty good front 7 but it doesn't matter if the back 4 stink. When rookie QB's and chump QB's like Sancheeze can pullout and almost pullout wins being stout up front is next to useless. Is it the secondary coaching, poor play, poor players. What this team needs is another Ty Law. The shut down corner is so important so sought after an entire defense work off that position. Unfortunately they dont have anything close to a shut down corner. How many receivers have we seen with lots of space between them and the pats defenders. Mr. Belichick you must draft or trade to improve the secondary or nothing will improve.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

Re: what good is it to be stout against run in a passing league

shhhhew thanks Mighty I thought you were going to post that crying little girl lol.  Maybe hopefully you're right that these guys can develop and gel and be descent, they just need to do it quickly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

We got to have SOMETHING good about the D to talk about!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to Mighty2013's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think after the post-2006 crop of free agents (Moss, Adalius, Leigh Bodden) turned into a bunch of whiny spoiled brats doing their best impersonation of the people on this forum, BB had enough of overpaid self-centered super star free agents and is looking to improve through the draft as much as possible.

Give Wilson, Dowling, Ebner, Dennard et al time to develop and we have a very promising secondary.

[/QUOTE]

I hope so. Gave up on McCourty. Arrington is another Hobbs clone. Sterling Moore ain't really all that sterling.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]

I think after the post-2006 crop of free agents (Moss, Adalius, Leigh Bodden) turned into a bunch of whiny spoiled brats doing their best impersonation of the people on this forum, BB had enough of overpaid self-centered super star free agents and is looking to improve through the draft as much as possible.

Give Wilson, Dowling, Ebner, Dennard et al time to develop and we have a very promising secondary.

[/QUOTE]

I hope so. Gave up on McCourty. Arrington is another Hobbs clone. Sterling Moore ain't really all that sterling.

[/QUOTE]

McCourty might be the safety of the future

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Running D..lets see

It can help in the red zone quite a bit.

An opponent with a lead can't run out the clock just on the ground. They will have to pass.

When the Pats play a team  like SF it will be the difference between suffering a blowout like the Jets and Bills and keeping it close.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Running D..lets see

An opponent with a lead can't run out the clock just on the ground. They will have to pass.

When the Pats play a team  like SF it will be the difference between suffering a blowout like the Jets and Bills and keeping it close.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. While it is a passing league you have to be able to stop the run. And even more so in red zone, and in playoff games, and against any of the really good runnning teams like SF, Ravens, Houston, etc.

A run D is NO SMALL THING. But it does not replace a terrible pass D.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hope that Wilson & Dennard can become something. Ebner is a real wildcard he was mostly a special teamer in college so who knows. Time is already running out on Dowling, he is behind Dennard who is a year younger and was taken almost 200 picks lower than Dowling. 

Right now, they could be the next Wheatley, Merriweather, Butler and Wilhite. There is so much turnover in the defensive backfield in the past 6 seasons it is crazy.  With Gregory hurt, Chung is the most veteran DB and if he is out it becomes McCourty and Arrington...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Running D..lets see

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. While it is a passing league you have to be able to stop the run. And even more so in red zone, and in playoff games, and against any of the really good runnning teams like SF, Ravens, Houston, etc.

A run D is NO SMALL THING. But it does not replace a terrible pass D.

[/QUOTE]

Red Zone?   Teams haven't even needed the red zone to score on this bunch.  Just chuck it up in the air from the 50... TD  They need to start concentrating on the pass because who in their right mind would bother rushing against them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Dennard looks like he can be a good corner in this league. What about mccourty at safety? He tackles well for a corner, is fast, and wouldn't have to turn around much because the play would be in front of him. I know he played safety against the jets and did well there last year while filling in, but what about a permanent move there?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

It means we're #1 team when it comes to most passing plays over 20+ yards.

38 and counting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Being 8th best in the league against the run and 29th against the pass means opposing offenses will pass more than run. It's a passing league and for whatever reason, we are not configured properly to defend it. It goes to both lack ofpressure and this soft zone they play. I was convinced earlier it had to do with talent, but i honestly think the talent is there to get it done. Not be 1st rankedm but 15th or so would be a big improvement. 

I still think McCourty is our best cb, then maybe Dennard. I would think about playing Ras at safety with Wilson. Dennard and McCourty starting cb's, Arrington or cole in the slot, and Ras and Wilson at safety. The scouting reports on Ras coming out of college all indicated his best position in the nfl might be safety. I would try him there. You combine that, have them play man, send spikes and Hightower after the QB and I think we could see an improvement. 

I think a lot of our woes have to do with scheme, only rushing 3 or 4, and this soft stylay play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Well the idea is when u stuff the run, you make the other team one dimensional and can get your creative pass/coverage blitz packages out and go wild on the qb and when we stop the run we dont take advantage of that, we just play vanilla knowing the qb is passing and allow ourselves to get carved up.

We have to be the only team that almost always get the QB in the ideal position and dont take advantage. Thats why for 2 years weve been giving up 3rd and 18s. Thats absurd. No other teams constantly gives up 3rd and longs we do to because of Qb feeling too comfy...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I thought Arrington would work covering the slot receiver but he's awful there also. Guys without blazing speed get separation and Arrington doesn't seem to have any catch-up speed. He's a decent tackler so his role should be relegated to special teams. Chung is good at run support but almost as bad as Merriweather at taking bad angles in the passing game. McCourty never looks back so the pass is either completed for a long gain or he gets a pass interference call on him. Dowling has had injury issues before he joined the Pats and that pattern has continued. Mostly our drafting of these guys and others like Wheatley, Wilhite and Butler make one wonder how we have missed so often on selecting decent DBs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Elephant in the Room!

B.B. cant draft Dbs. Sorry to say. Talk about crapshoots and all u want. I'll give him credit for finding Lineman on both sides and Qbs and maybe give him some props for getting Gronk and Hernandez in the same draft but the guy has missed on Dbs for 10 years straight.  I mean whole secondaries have died and come back to life and made it to top 5 while we have been still looking to replace Asante??

Its actually getting embarrasing at this point. We cant even get a decent free agent. We pass on Landry who everyone thought couldnt play due to his BIG muscles...ooooh but he goes out and spends a boatload of cash on J.Fanene who never plays a game due to a "LINGERING" Knee issue and he ends up being replaced adequately by Mr. Cunningham who was sure to be cut.

B.B. needs to fire whoever is bringin in the list of guys or change the criteria he uses to measure good DBs or change this god awful scheme designed to be toasted every game!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In response to harleyroadking12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Pats have a pretty good front 7 but it doesn't matter if the back 4 stink. When rookie QB's and chump QB's like Sancheeze can pullout and almost pullout wins being stout up front is next to useless. It the secondary coaching, poor play, poor players. What this team needs is another Ty Law. The shut down corner is so important so sought after an entire defense work off that position. Unfortunately the down have anything close to a shut down corner. How many receivers have we seen with lots of space between them and the pats defenders. Mr. Belichick you must draft or trade to improve the secondary or nothing will improve.

[/QUOTE]

Agree but BB didn't think Ty Law was worth the money he was after when he was here so I can't see him paying big money for a shut down corner from another team. Either way whatever they have tried since Harrison retired hasn't worked.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Elephant in the Room!

B.B. cant draft Dbs. Sorry to say. Talk about crapshoots and all u want. I'll give him credit for finding Lineman on both sides and Qbs and maybe give him some props for getting Gronk and Hernandez in the same draft but the guy has missed on Dbs for 10 years straight.  I mean whole secondaries have died and come back to life and made it to top 5 while we have been still looking to replace Asante??

Its actually getting embarrasing at this point. We cant even get a decent free agent. We pass on Landry who everyone thought couldnt play due to his BIG muscles...ooooh but he goes out and spends a boatload of cash on J.Fanene who never plays a game due to a "LINGERING" Knee issue and he ends up being replaced adequately by Mr. Cunningham who was sure to be cut.

B.B. needs to fire whoever is bringin in the list of guys or change the criteria he uses to measure good DBs or change this god awful scheme designed to be toasted every game!

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but in all honesty it probably is too late at this point. The "value" way of thinking had to of stopped two years ago to boost this roster - instead the roster is loaded with draft busts and average finds. Brady's window is rapidly closing and I fear that as long as he's here there will be no need to change their philosophy, because he keeps the ship afloat and makes everyone look like they are doing a better job than they really are. When he is gone the value approach will dissapear when the team is left with second round picks that can't play and Steven Gregorys, because the stadium will go empty.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

well if the stadium goes empty I'll be able to move down to the 100 level seats ...never been there

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

well if the stadium goes empty I'll be able to move down to the 100 level seats ...never been there

It will be just like going to games in the 80s. Tickets were cheap and always available.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It will be just like going to games in the 80s. Tickets were cheap and always available.

[/QUOTE]

maybe its what the team needs to get out of this funk

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

The Jest funk is 43 years and counting, tell us Leona do you think Sancheeze and Rex will get you a Lombardi trophy.