What Grade do you give the Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

What Grade do you give the Pats

Grade C- I'll explain later.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: What Grade do you give the Pats

I got em at a solid B

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

You do realize it takes a few years to see how these kids shake out?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

I got em at a solid B

+1

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The draft grades, to me, are based on moves up or down, moves that generate extra picks, players taken at value spots...stuff like that. I never grade on performance because of course they ain't played yet!

The MN trade is an example of something deserving of a high grade.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's way to early but my initial grade is C+/B-

Collins, Dobson, and Boyce have lots of upside.

Huron and Ryan might be good role players but the whole thing I'm seeing is they are all physical and have upside. Whether they live up to that upside or not we'll have to wait and see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

B

i really like the Aaron Dobson pick

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

I base the draft on how a team has done over the last ten years. No team, no teams W/L record is better than the Pats of the last ten years. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

B-  only because i like atleast 1 first rounder, but i understand the trade....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB had very little to start with, and this was one lousy draft.    Grade A overall.

The first round trade-down was good.  The Patriots have a long record of drafting well.  Would the New York Jets ever draft a Gronkowski?  The trade-down put the power of the Patriots' scouting organization in play.   Grade A.

Many teams start to fumble by the time they get to the back of the second round.  I thought the #52 and #59 picks were pretty good for where the Patriots stood. 

I see patterns and BB has remained true to many of his patterns.  Most of BB's picks are 3-cone guys, the quickest in the draft.  Most have length, with the exception of at least one of the Rutgers defensive backs. 

New pattern:  Rutgers is assumed to be a professional defensive back factory, with guys learning to hit like trucks.  You have to admit it worked with Devin McCourty.  BB had his chance to draft Kyle Mini-Me Wilson and he passed, wisely it seems these days.   Marshall U. is assumed to be a tall wide receiver factory, with guys learning to fight off defensive backs way downfield.  It worked with Randy Moss.  If you were looking for an offensive lineman, BC would be a good shopping center.

I don't expect the world of late second rounders, but Collins is a 250 pound big nickel safety, able to play defensive end too.  If that actually works out then BB is going to be in hog heaven for the next 4 years.  Grade A- for #52.

BB finally drafted a receiver with the needed tangibles -- long, quick, acrobatic.  He doesn't have to be an Einstein to run straight down the field, muscle the little cornerback out of the way, catch the football and dance.  If the other team double covers him then Brady will have other targets wide open.  Grade A- for #59.

Maybe BB will finally get his defensive backs on track.  He's been trying and failing for too long.  If he continues to fail, keep firing those old pro scouts.  If the new scouts have finally got it right, pay them.  I normally look for arm length in football players, but maybe a safety like Bobzilla never needs arm length if he never needs to shed blocks on the line of scrimmage.  Grade B for the first guy, D+ for the second guy.

The other receiver?  At least he's both quick and fast.  Fourth rounder.  Grade B.

I really like the first seventh rounder, a good prospect who got sick and who might get well this year.  Why did he get sick?  Well, he got in a fight and then his jaw didn't work.  A.  The other seventh rounder gets a C.  

What else?  So far, LaGarrette Blount is worth a seven and he might well make the team.  I'll give the trade a B because BB didn't lose much. 

Aqib Talib may yet be worth more than a four.  He's starting next September at cornerback.    Grade B.  Everyone said how bad the deal was in November, a fourth rounder for only five games.  

Fat Albert was almost a waste of a five, except he did start a couple of games and draw double teams. D+. a reasonable gamble that went south.

A six and a five for Chad Johnson was a waste.  Chad Ochocinco is the reason that BB needed to draft wide receivers this April, because other teams' discards don't usually work that well.   F.  Yes I give Fs. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Grade? Now?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Grade? Now?

it's just for fun so why not?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

no real help on the DL, none at all on the OL, could have gotten Elam at safety, does Rutgers have photos of BB    Hopefully the OLB and receiver can do something.... C                  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:

no real help on the DL, none at all on the OL, could have gotten Elam at safety, does Rutgers have photos of BB    Hopefully the OLB and receiver can do something.... C                  

+1. The Harmon choice at #91 was absurd 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I give it a B

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to dwhite1220's comment:

Grade C- I'll explain later.

started with c-day, before  rd 6-7 and udfa

if buchannon plays like ive seen on some film, may move up to A-

now b tj moe and another big wr prospect

pending furhter fa signings (could go up to b+)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

B-

liked the first 3 picks, the 4th was eh....but I think we picked up good defensive depth and the WR picks add an interesting dynamic coming into training camp.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

It is a bit early to be evaluating the picks but it is all in fun after all.  I particularly like the Minn trade and think 4 of the 1st 5 picks are pretty solid.  I don't have Texas Pat's depth of knowledge on the draft so I don't really know if the Harmon pick is 'absurd' but there's not a lot of film avail on him so I simply don't know.  Overall B to B+.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I won't get into an overall grading for each pick. I will say that the Patriots definately made a good move trading out of the first round. A+

They drafted for positions of need on 3 of their first 4 picks. A-

They added good depth with the rest of their choices.B+

They made one indraft trade sending Demps and a7th round pick for the mecurial LaGarrette Blount. A

Finally though not considered part of the draft they nailed the early UDFA signings.A

Grade for draft and UDFA's A

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rkarp1. Show Rkarp1's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

BB had very little to start with, and this was one lousy draft.    Grade A overall.

The first round trade-down was good.  The Patriots have a long record of drafting well.  Would the New York Jets ever draft a Gronkowski?  The trade-down put the power of the Patriots' scouting organization in play.   Grade A.

Many teams start to fumble by the time they get to the back of the second round.  I thought the #52 and #59 picks were pretty good for where the Patriots stood. 

I see patterns and BB has remained true to many of his patterns.  Most of BB's picks are 3-cone guys, the quickest in the draft.  Most have length, with the exception of at least one of the Rutgers defensive backs. 

New pattern:  Rutgers is assumed to be a professional defensive back factory, with guys learning to hit like trucks.  You have to admit it worked with Devin McCourty.  BB had his chance to draft Kyle Mini-Me Wilson and he passed, wisely it seems these days.   Marshall U. is assumed to be a tall wide receiver factory, with guys learning to fight off defensive backs way downfield.  It worked with Randy Moss.  If you were looking for an offensive lineman, BC would be a good shopping center.

I don't expect the world of late second rounders, but Collins is a 250 pound big nickel safety, able to play defensive end too.  If that actually works out then BB is going to be in hog heaven for the next 4 years.  Grade A- for #52.

BB finally drafted a receiver with the needed tangibles -- long, quick, acrobatic.  He doesn't have to be an Einstein to run straight down the field, muscle the little cornerback out of the way, catch the football and dance.  If the other team double covers him then Brady will have other targets wide open.  Grade A- for #59.

Maybe BB will finally get his defensive backs on track.  He's been trying and failing for too long.  If he continues to fail, keep firing those old pro scouts.  If the new scouts have finally got it right, pay them.  I normally look for arm length in football players, but maybe a safety like Bobzilla never needs arm length if he never needs to shed blocks on the line of scrimmage.  Grade B for the first guy, D+ for the second guy.

The other receiver?  At least he's both quick and fast.  Fourth rounder.  Grade B.

I really like the first seventh rounder, a good prospect who got sick and who might get well this year.  Why did he get sick?  Well, he got in a fight and then his jaw didn't work.  A.  The other seventh rounder gets a C.  

What else?  So far, LaGarrette Blount is worth a seven and he might well make the team.  I'll give the trade a B because BB didn't lose much. 

Aqib Talib may yet be worth more than a four.  He's starting next September at cornerback.    Grade B.  Everyone said how bad the deal was in November, a fourth rounder for only five games.  

Fat Albert was almost a waste of a five, except he did start a couple of games and draw double teams. D+. a reasonable gamble that went south.

A six and a five for Chad Johnson was a waste.  Chad Ochocinco is the reason that BB needed to draft wide receivers this April, because other teams' discards don't usually work that well.   F.  Yes I give Fs. 

Paul,

how do you see a nickel safety OLB with Collins? I assume you saw Bedards scout report? Here's ESPN's

Instincts/Recognition 3 Versatile player that has shown the ability to play multiple positions and different schemes. Played for his third defensive coordinator in the past three seasons in 2012. Shows average awareness in underneath zone coverage. Above average backside discipline. However, below average natural instincts and takes too long to locate the ball. Gap discipline is an issue. Gets caught out of position far too much. Take-on Skills 4 Disruptive run stopper with quick hands and above average lateral mobility. Flashes the ability to pull top-heavy blockers to the ground. Not a physical or aggressive player by nature though. Upper body strength appears just average on film. Right shoulder dominant taking on lead blockers. Gives too much ground to offensive linemen. Range vs. Run 3 Above-average agility and closing burst for size. Closes down cutback lanes. Does not make as many plays in pursuit as speed/athleticism would indicate. Effort is biggest concern. Doesn't chase like hair is on fire and appears to take some plays off. Tackling 2 Strong wrap-up tackler that consistently gets the ball carrier to the ground though misses in space on occasion. Possesses long arms and an above average finishing burst. Flashes the ability to de-cleat ball carriers in the backfield. Looks to rip the ball out in gang tackle situations. 3rd Down Capabilities 2 Above average initial quickness and closing speed coming off the edge. Average to slightly above average speed to power. Has the potential to improve in these areas but it doesn't come natural to him in this area. Doesn't show enough savvy with hands or feet. Effort is also an issue when it comes to rushing passer. Tends to gear down when doesn't win with first move. Shows a wide range in underneath zone coverage and flashes above-average man-to-man skills. Shows good focus playing the ball. 1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

If 2-3 of the players on this draft actually make the opening day roster(including at least 1 WR making a significant impact for them THIS YEAR) then I give it a B as well in a terrible draft that lacked talent bigtime. THe only way BB could have gotten an A out of this draft would have been to trade all of this year's picks for draft picks next year.

BTW I am glad they bypassed Elam at Safety................who the f thinks this kid is good? No thanks..........