What if PATS don't use TE but extra OL???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Freeway555. Show Freeway555's posts

What if PATS don't use TE but extra OL???

Someone mentioned this in a discussion the other day (forget who) and I think it's a real intriguing possibility. You could use a blocking TE or even better a real OL (so Vollmer, Light, and Kaczur/new OL would all be playing same time.) How do people think this would effect our offense? more protection for Brady but less options. I think it's a good idea and it could really help the running game as well. and when Welker gets back he will be running circles around defenders with all that time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: What if PATS don't use TE but extra OL???

In Response to What if PATS don't use TE but extra OL???:
    Someone mentioned this in a discussion the other day (forget who) and I think it's a real intriguing possibility. You could use a blocking TE or even better a real OL (so Vollmer, Light, and Kaczur/new OL would all be playing same time.) How do people think this would effect our offense? more protection for Brady but less options. I think it's a good idea and it could really help the running game as well. and when Welker gets back he will be running circles around defenders with all that time.
    Posted by Freeway555

Not sure you gain anything. Without at least the threat then another guy just comes up in the box on the defensive side of the ball.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The big 5 TE's in this draft size wise are Gresham,Peek,Graham,Pitta and Gronkowski.Gresham is 6'4" while the other 4 are all pushing 6'6". Gresham and Gronkowski are the better of the blocking TE's and they both are above average receivers. Pitta is a pure Receiver and Peek is more of a Blocker while Graham is fast and big though very raw having only played his senior year at the position or in football. The other Top TE's include Quarles from Penn State,Hernandez from UF and Tony Moeaki from Iowa.Of all the TE's only Moeaki has a private workout scheduled with the Patriots.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

maybe BB has thought about this we'll see when preseason comes. it's not a bad idea, but you always like to have an optyion to have at least one good receiving TE, example dallas clark

i still think BB will draft a couple and probably trade for a good veteran TE. i guess crumpler was a bust on his visit or we would have heard something by now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Vollmer was a tight end in college.  At 6'7" and with long arms he can probably outleap people in the endzone to pull down a catch, and he can certainly pave-block.  I think he'd make a great goal line TE.  I wouldn't send him deep on third and 10, though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Low-FB-IQ nailed it.  You just eliminated a receiving option from your offense.  That makes things a little easier on the D.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

EXACTLY what Low-FB said- The Defense will bring at the very least, an extra body in the box (near LOS), THEN If I'm a D-Coordinator, I'm telling my CBs to now jam the wide-receivers and my D-Lineman to not play gap patrol, but to spear-head and shoot the gaps between the O-Lineman in order to force the play to be carried out quicker and altogether disrupt the play, since they have more guys in the box behind them to get their backs IF the running play gets by them (and in the oft chance it's a passing play-You WANT to make the QB get the ball off quicker and not let the play develop, so the CBs jamming the WRs, while the DTs are spearheading through gaps (rather than playing a 2-gap "hold your ground" patrol)-would imo, greatly enhance this. 

Overall, any way you look at this-Taking away 1 entire passing option to keep a D honest (I mean a standard O-lineman can't even block-hold then release-IN fact IF he's listed as an O-lineman, I don't think he can be eligible at all-like Vollmer, who's needed elsewhere anyways)- But anyway, taking away that 1 passing option no matter how nominal the TE is skill-wise as a receiving threat, Is NOT trumped by the just somewhat better overall blocker you'd get by having a standard non-receiving (or even ineligible reciever)- O-Lineman there (in terms of YOUR offensive plays- more obvious running plays, which are for shorter gains than most passing plays &/or less passing play options, ALONG with what the D can now do-opens up their options when you limit your own- Defenses spearheading DTs, I'd blitz 1 LB, CBs jamming WRs, and more men in the box). 

See, there's a reason WHY this is a good idea sometimes (though not always) putting an extra O-Lineman in on 4th and inches and far moreso on Goal-line situations- Because 4th and inches, The Offense just wants to get a fresh set of downs, so It's gonna be a run, so Why NOT give yourself aome extra bulk in order to get 2 inches, since all you want is your best chance to guarentee a new fresh set of downs to try to exploit the D with different looks on 1st and 2nd down.  When it's a goal-line situation, lol...The Defense has No Where BUT to have all their men in the box, because A: It's short yardage and B: There ain't no more field left anyway...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Yes Vollmer can check in as an eligible receiver on a particular play.  He has to tell the ref that he's eligible before he gets into the huddle.

Vollmer is agile enough that a defensive tackle can't keep up with him, he's tall enough that all the shrimps on the field can find something better to do with their time, and as an oversized tight end he can give the remaining guy in front of him a genteel push into the sod, then turn around to catch the pass in the endzone.  This tight end's pancake and catch strategy can be foiled by double coverage, but then who covers Welker?

Last year, Vollmer only had to learn one job.  With BB, experienced guys start to take on other jobs -- Troy Brown as a defensive back, Vrabel as a pass-catching tight end, Seymour at fullback.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Cmon Seabass running the fade in the end zone , whats next Light running a bubble screens? We know he can still get down the field , this o-line loves blocking and running down hill. Why not start sending our T or G down field for a couple rec's? LMFAO , I expect to hear this from my 11 y/o nephew , but considering the people on the site its par for the coarse LOL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Possible but if they want someone like that they might as well spend the  3 million and bring in Crumpler for 2 years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

That was me, I think. But the Pats don't need a TE, The Colts stretch out offenses using mostly a 2 WR -1 TE(Wayne, Garcon and Clark) formation and sometimes a 3 WR -1 TE formation (Wayne, Garcon, Collie and Clark). That is not any different than what the Pats do in their offensive formation with 3 WR formation (Moss, Welker and Aiken). The Pats don't need a pass catching TE if they are planning to run plays out of the spread formation, what they need is a number 3 WR who can make catches, like Garcon in the Colts formation.

The Colts' offense works better because they can add an element of surprise with Clark. You never know when he is going to run a route or stay in and block. He also runs fantasic routes which makes him a tough player to defend. The Pats offense is alot more predictable, it's Welker underneath, Moss up top. Moss can't run underneath routes because LBs would crush him and Welker can't go deep because he is too small, too slow. Another WR would make the Pats' offense potent.