What NO ONE is saying about last night....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

What NO ONE is saying about last night....

The word "lucky" is being thrown about everywhere.  But, what is not said enough is this:

The Pats return D DID in fact force the fumble with the strip.  Seems not too many folks are focused on that aspect.  If McKelvin held onto the ball, we would have had to hope for a quick 3 and out, but, we will never know that possibility, will we?

Secondly, the Pats HAD to reach the EZ to win, not just score a FG, so, why couldn't the Bills' D stop them short of the EZ? The Bills' D did stop the Pats twice on 4th down conversion attempts and this would have definitely been 4 down territory.  Seems some folks think that strip is the sole reason the Pats won.  There were still many opportunities for the Bills' D to step up, the Pats offense just did it better at crunch time.

Lastly, there were other last minute victories around the league, but most are not subscribing to the "lucky" factor except for the Pats.  Isn't luck the result of making it happen, too?  I do not recall the Pats standing around and asking McKelvin to fumble the ball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Re: What NO ONE is saying about last night....

A strip is never lucky it's good technique. Even choosing to run out of the end zone isn't luck it's a mistake by the opponent which you capitalize on just as the Bills did with the INT.
    You left out shutting down the Bills offense when all they had to do was get within field goal range.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hammonkey. Show hammonkey's posts

agreed.  Getting two TD's in the span of 1 minute is no small task at all.  the only luck I attribute to the win is that McKelvin decided to run it out.  But I won't waste my breath trying to convince others of the merits of the win.  We're 1 and 0.  Nobody will care how this W was achieved when working out playoff seeding by week 17.  Well maybe Bills fans will... and I feel for them.  But hey... thats why they play the games. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It wasn't luck at all. It was taking advantage of a poor decision. And more than that, it was poor coaching. McKelvin has been quoted all over the airwaves today saying he takes that ball out of the endzone every time. That is poor coaching right there. That is a player not understanding that winning often requires that individuals subvert their egos. That is a guy (two guys, really -- the coach and the player) not doing his job.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

In Response to Re: What NO ONE is saying about last night....:
    [QUOTE]agreed.  Getting two TD's in the span of 1 minute is no small task at all.  the only luck I attribute to the win is that McKelvin decided to run it out.  But I won't waste my breath trying to convince others of the merits of the win.  We're 1 and 0.  Nobody will care how this W was achieved when working out playoff seeding by week 17.  Well maybe Bills fans will... and I feel for them.  But hey... thats why they play the games. 

Posted by hammonkey[/QUOTE]

McKelvin's reasoning was to eliminate one of the 4 clock stopages by running the ball and forcing the two-minute warning before they ran a 1st down play.  Had the Pat's not scored on that play (first Watson TD) they surely would've the warning occur on the next play all but ensuring that McKelvin would have taken a knee.  It's all about making plays.

On another note, the missed FG, the two failed 4th down conversions, the interception/TD and the Thomas sack penalty (all bad for the Pat's).  Had a couple of these not occurred and I think it's an easy win.  We've been so used to winning easily here the past few years when in all reality it usually comes down to a couple of plays that can turn a game. 

It's splitting hairs, but that's what football at this level is. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

McKelvin is a rookie?  damn talk about deja vu, I could have sworn last year was his rookie year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LovelyLeon. Show LovelyLeon's posts

PMIke-The pats got LUCKY-Did you watch the same game that I did?

Try to look at it as an outsider that doesn't care who the pats think they are.ESPN was all over it!Boy did they ever get LUCKY last night!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I disagree Leon.

Statistically, the Pats dominated the game.

Several key plays went against them, but they took full advantage of the one collosal blunder the Bills made. This game could very easily have been the blowout many were expecting if the Pats convert a couple fourth downs and finish with touchdowns instead of field goals. The Bills played well, but they are not good enough to beat an elite team unless they play error free -- which they didn't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to What NO ONE is saying about last night....:
    [QUOTE]The word "lucky" is being thrown about everywhere.  But, what is not said enough is this: The Pats return D DID in fact force the fumble with the strip.  Seems not too many folks are focused on that aspect.  If McKelvin held onto the ball, we would have had to hope for a quick 3 and out, but, we will never know that possibility, will we? Secondly, the Pats HAD to reach the EZ to win, not just score a FG, so, why couldn't the Bills' D stop them short of the EZ? The Bills' D did stop the Pats twice on 4th down conversion attempts and this would have definitely been 4 down territory.  Seems some folks think that strip is the sole reason the Pats won.  There were still many opportunities for the Bills' D to step up, the Pats offense just did it better at crunch time. Lastly, there were other last minute victories around the league, but most are not subscribing to the "lucky" factor except for the Pats.  Isn't luck the result of making it happen, too?  I do not recall the Pats standing around and asking McKelvin to fumble the ball.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

agc:

Nice try, my friend. But the Pats were lucky to win. But, its' only game one. The team will improve as the season goes on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

nobody was seeing this comeing,or saying it would happen.im glad it did,and the pats got the win,but when they kicked that ball off with two minutes left,and needing a td,i was prepareing for the loss.sure this happens now,and then,like in the playoffs against the chargers,but it dosent happen often,to where you know it will happen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

A win is a win any which way you slice it. The best teams find ways to do it. Leon I hope you have the nads to post after Sunday when your team comes back to earth. If your banking on Tom getting hurt it may be a long afternoon for you. It seems Tom just started feeling his groove in the later stages of the game which doesnt bode well for you considering he did put up 376 yrds and was clutch when he had to be. I think it's fair to say Brady will only continue feeling more comfortable and the offense will become more explosive each week moving forward. Even you gotta admit while they didn't win convincingly there were times when the O did resemble 07 and thats gotta be scary as an opposing teams fan. I'm excited about the D regardless of what people are saying. Bodden looks fantastic I thought AD had a good game. It was nice to see Mayo walking it off on the sidelines because we cannot afford to lose him for any prolonged period of time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

McKelvin didn't fumble. It was stripped. It's called execution not luck.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

We won.Next victim Jets.MOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stanwell. Show Stanwell's posts

Another thing no one is saying about last night is that it was reminiscent of the Pats-Bills opener in '03 -- the Milloy game. I get that it's the era of free agency, and the Pioli-Belichick strategy for managing the salary cap. But if you cut ties with beloved key players ten days before the opener, there are going to be consequences for the players' nerves. If Gostowski, Brady, and Moss all have a case of nerves, I can bet it was worse for others. The good news is, that's in the past now. Waiting to see about the D....

"chance favors the prepared mind"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lexlib. Show lexlib's posts

[QUOTE]The word "lucky" is being thrown about everywhere.  But, what is not said enough is this: The Pats return D DID in fact force the fumble with the strip.  Seems not too many folks are focused on that aspect.  If McKelvin held onto the ball, we would have had to hope for a quick 3 and out, but, we will never know that possibility, will we? Secondly, the Pats HAD to reach the EZ to win, not just score a FG, so, why couldn't the Bills' D stop them short of the EZ? The Bills' D did stop the Pats twice on 4th down conversion attempts and this would have definitely been 4 down territory.  Seems some folks think that strip is the sole reason the Pats won.  There were still many opportunities for the Bills' D to step up, the Pats offense just did it better at crunch time. Lastly, there were other last minute victories around the league, but most are not subscribing to the "lucky" factor except for the Pats.  Isn't luck the result of making it happen, too?  I do not recall the Pats standing around and asking McKelvin to fumble the ball.
    Posted by agcsbill

[/QUOTE]i agree with this. especially the last paragraph.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

That wasn't the D that created the turnover, it was special teams. Special teams did a pretty good job (aside from a missed FG). However, our Defense had some problems - except at the end of the game. Do they have potential? Yes, we have some younger players that need to gel during the course of the season.  Are they ready for prime time? Not yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonJetsLeon. Show leonJetsLeon's posts

MOOOOO-How are ya!?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GR2009. Show GR2009's posts

Leon, how are ya!

You played football right?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonJetsLeon. Show leonJetsLeon's posts

Hey GR-Your nickname used be gymrat right?

You chose to name yourself that right?

You have everybody asking-What kind of an A hole does that...right?

LOl this is way too much fun!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to What NO ONE is saying about last night.... :      agc:      Nice try, my friend. But the Pats were lucky to win. But, its' only game one. The team will improve as the season goes on.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Texas....  lucky, yes, as I said not much is made of the other factors that played into the Pats win.  The "lucky" is to have that type of play, McKelvin deciding to run the ball out of the EZ and being stripped of the ball, is a lucky break for the Pats.  The Pats still needed to score a TD, though, to win, and that wasn't a given.  But, look at how the Broncos won.  That was a lucky, SINGLE, play to have the ball tipped right into the Denver's receivers hands for the TD score. The Pats had to make their luck with the opportunity McKelvin gave them running out the ball. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from thetrinity12. Show thetrinity12's posts

I thought it was borderline with McKelvin. He caught the ball right on the goal line. Initially, I thought that he was going to take a knee, but he wasn't sure if it would be a safety. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]I thought it was borderline with McKelvin. He caught the ball right on the goal line. Initially, I thought that he was going to take a knee, but he wasn't sure if it would be a safety. 
    Posted by thetrinity12[/QUOTE]

Did anyone else think the same thing?  Who is to say McKelvin didn't think he COULDN'T take a knee?  Can you imagine if he did and it is scored a safety and the Pats score on the ensuing free kick possession.  Would it have made a bigger difference?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

The most important thing no one is saying about last night is "WE LOST".Enjoy the win guys.These are the Golden Years of Patriots history.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

Another thing I'd like to add is that the Patriots were just an all around better team then the Bills last night. They controlled most of the game clock, and had over twice as many offensive plays then the Bills, It was around 85 to 38 range. Brady set a career record for completions in a game, which no one is talking about! The only reason this wasn't a blow out, is because the Pats had some badly executed 3rd down and 4th down plays. If they can get better on those downs, this offense will be a beast this year. I'm looking forwards to it! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

[QUOTE]The most important thing no one is saying about last night is "WE LOST".Enjoy the win guys.These are the Golden Years of Patriots history.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-[/QUOTE]

Agreed, win by 1, win by 50, who cares, winning is the bottom line.