Re: What off-season move by the Pats would blow you away?
posted at 1/25/2014 4:24 PM EST
What would make me incredibly excited, while not shocking me, is simply spending money and adding impact players needed to not only contend but contend as a dominant team.
To me this means after the restructures and cuts that give the team 15-20 million in cap space the Patriots concentrate on 3 positions in free ageny:
1. CB - Keep Talib or add a solid veteran, no drafting of a CB, bonus if the signing weakens a playoff team we could face. The options are:
- Alterraun Verner (Titans)
- Brent Grimes (Dolphins)
- Vontae Davis (Colts)
- DMC (Donkey's)
- Captain Munnerlyn (Panthers)
Anything less than one of those 6 corners would leave me very dissapointed
2. DT - Vince says he'll be back for the start of the season, I say 6 week PUP and then only count on him for 50% of the snaps, either way team needs 1 more quality starter at DT. Kelly will be back and his injury is easier to recover from than Vince, but he is also old. Siligna, Jones, Vellano and Armstead need to be backups only thrust into starting roles if things go bad.
I'd love to see this team have the cash for one good starter like:
- Soliai of Miami (they will try to keep Starks first, probably can't keep both)
- Linval Joseph (Giants)
- Clinton McDonald (Seahawks)
I'd be stocked if they went after C Alex Mack, let Wendell walk and had Connolly/Cannon at LG and Vollmer/Cannon at RT.
A move I would love would be Mallett and Amendola to the Texans for their 2nd and 5th rd picks this year. We can also toss them our 6th and a conditional pick in '15 depending on if Mallett doesn't become the starter, or reach certain incentives or if Amendola remains hurt, etc.