What should BB have done about the WR position.

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

Re: What should BB have done about the WR position.

In response to Getzo's comment:

There have been many to show their dislike for what BB has done with his WR's.

Now my question is where did he really mess up?  Ok Welker got away and there seemed to be some bad blood that goes into that equations.

Llyod was gone and most of us said see ya.  BB tried to get Sanders and that failed, but he did try and was the only coach to put in a RFA claim.  

So that leave the Pats were they are with their current squad really, aside from BB bringing in Amendola.  They drafted a WR high - most likely the one they wanted - and got a brner finally in Boyce.  

I thought about this because a lot of people thought BB left Brady high and dry, but WHAT could he have really done?  Maybe Welker should be here but then what?

Then i read this morning, which made me think of writing this:

Chris Welch (Washington DC)

Hey Tedy. Is there a chance that the patriots look to not only add a veteran wide receiver but even potentially another tight end to help out Tom Brady?

Tedy   (12:18 PM)

Chris, it sounds like you want a quick-fix, and I'm telling you, the quick-fix isn't coming. If there was somebody better out there, he'd already be on the roster. When and if they did sign someone: 1) Is that player ready to play football phsyically?; 2) Do you really want to stop the development of the young WRs and put them on the bench?

The bottom line is there was never going to be a quick fix.  

Thoughts?  What should have Pats done?  get Wallace????

If BB is not bring in any vet wide receivers than the Pats organization is wasting Tom Brady talents.  Moreover, Pats team will have an early vacation in December.  Injury is a normal thing in NFL and what if Julian Ederman is down then whoelse that Tom can throw.  They need a vet receivers to help out and give the rookies times to develope as well.  Just look at the other teams like Broncos. Saints, Packers, 49ers, Falcons and Detroits to see their receivers core!!!  Do the Pats has enough powers to compete with them?  There is 2 gus that can help the Pats offense right now are Devery Henderson formal Saints and T.O.  They will help the Pats moving chains and tutor our rookies.  Especially, they are cheap to bring in too.

Go Pats! please do not wasting Tom Brady talents and his dream for another Super Bowl ring.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I'm happy to take you at your word that a team has to spend the current year cap space before it spends the carryover but can you educate me as to where I can find that in the CBA?

I'm pretty sure this is wrong just from looking at the past few years.  The Patriots carried over 5.6 million in cap space to this season.  The reason we had 5.6 million in room last season is because we carried over space from 2011 which increased our cap number.  Without the carried over space from 2011 we wouldn't have had 5.6 last year.  Since we were able to carry over all 5.6 this year I don't see where PatsEng is getting this use it or lose it notion from.  It seems pretty clear to me that we carried over space from 2011 to now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm happy to take you at your word that a team has to spend the current year cap space before it spends the carryover but can you educate me as to where I can find that in the CBA?

I'm pretty sure this is wrong just from looking at the past few years.  The Patriots carried over 5.6 million in cap space to this season.  The reason we had 5.6 million in room last season is because we carried over space from 2011 which increased our cap number.  Without the carried over space from 2011 we wouldn't have had 5.6 last year.  Since we were able to carry over all 5.6 this year I don't see where PatsEng is getting this use it or lose it notion from.  It seems pretty clear to me that we carried over space from 2011 to now. 

[/QUOTE]

He may very well be wrong or could be right.  I just read the entire flippin' article on the salary cap (and, yes, my eyes glazed over more than a dunkin donut) and I couldn't find anything that said which cap money had to be spent first (but that could have been one of the parts where I glazed).  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to profootball's comment:

In response to Getzo's comment:

[QUOTE]

There have been many to show their dislike for what BB has done with his WR's.

Now my question is where did he really mess up?  Ok Welker got away and there seemed to be some bad blood that goes into that equations.

Llyod was gone and most of us said see ya.  BB tried to get Sanders and that failed, but he did try and was the only coach to put in a RFA claim.  

So that leave the Pats were they are with their current squad really, aside from BB bringing in Amendola.  They drafted a WR high - most likely the one they wanted - and got a brner finally in Boyce.  

I thought about this because a lot of people thought BB left Brady high and dry, but WHAT could he have really done?  Maybe Welker should be here but then what?

Then i read this morning, which made me think of writing this:

Chris Welch (Washington DC)

Hey Tedy. Is there a chance that the patriots look to not only add a veteran wide receiver but even potentially another tight end to help out Tom Brady?

Tedy   (12:18 PM)

Chris, it sounds like you want a quick-fix, and I'm telling you, the quick-fix isn't coming. If there was somebody better out there, he'd already be on the roster. When and if they did sign someone: 1) Is that player ready to play football phsyically?; 2) Do you really want to stop the development of the young WRs and put them on the bench?

The bottom line is there was never going to be a quick fix.  

Thoughts?  What should have Pats done?  get Wallace????

If BB is not bring in any vet wide receivers than the Pats organization is wasting Tom Brady talents.  Moreover, Pats team will have an early vacation in December.  Injury is a normal thing in NFL and what if Julian Ederman is down then whoelse that Tom can throw.  They need a vet receivers to help out and give the rookies times to develope as well.  Just look at the other teams like Broncos. Saints, Packers, 49ers, Falcons and Detroits to see their receivers core!!!  Do the Pats has enough powers to compete with them?  There is 2 gus that can help the Pats offense right now are Devery Henderson formal Saints and T.O.  They will help the Pats moving chains and tutor our rookies.  Especially, they are cheap to bring in too.

Go Pats! please do not wasting Tom Brady talents and his dream for another Super Bowl ring.

[/QUOTE]

Devry Henderson, no way.  All speed and lost a step.  TO is cancer.  So if this is your 'vet' upgrade, then I'd rather stick with what we got and let them learn.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[QUOTE]

Lots of silly fights to no purpose here.  

If you want to criticize BB for letting Welker walk and replacing him with Danny fine.  If you want to criticize him for booting Lloyd fine (although no one was really broken up about it when he got the boot from what I remember), but I'm not going to stand here and let pezz make shyte up and say that BB dismantled the top rated passing game and replaced them with rookies who he expected to take their place.  It is false and is the same type of exaggeration he has been peddling around here in his sensationalistic posts for years.  This is the same guy that said we had a bottom ranked defense for 7 years in 2012 and then actually tried to defend himself when I pointed out that we've had a top 10 ranked defense in terms of points and yards all the way through 2009. 

These are the facts.  BB let 3 major components of the passing game go this year.  Welker, Lloyd and Woody.  He had vets lined up to replace 2 of them.  Some are injured which is why the kids are getting more playing time.  That doesn't mean he expected the f'ing rookies to replace them.  Plus Hernandez wasn't expected to be gone.  End of story.

[/QUOTE]

You see what you want but you see incorrectly.

The whole premise is asking 4 rookies with two of them un drafted to replace the production of the 2012 group And THE PRODUCTION OF THE INJURY PRONE PLAYERS WHO WERE ALSO BROUGHT IN TO REPLACE LAST YEARS GROUP.

Why?
    Because someone decided to blow up the record setting offense ALL AT ONCE, instead of gradually,( after ignoring it for years, while trying to fix a defunct defense) with injury prone players who (when injured) are replaced by rookies.

This is reality, like it or not and ignore it all you want

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He may very well be wrong or could be right.  I just read the entire flippin' article on the salary cap (and, yes, my eyes glazed over more than a dunkin donut) and I couldn't find anything that said which cap money had to be spent first (but that could have been one of the parts where I glazed).  

[/QUOTE]

I could very well be wrong. But, all I heard from NFL experts this past off-season is that you can't carry cap space over indefinately from year to year and that the amount carried over is based on the league cap not based on the teams individual cap. Now I could have heard it wrong but that's what I remember so that's what I went with. I don't even bother trying to figure out lawyer contracts because the wording is such that any word could have 15 different meanings hence why nothing is as simple as it's stated.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Well what we've established so far is:

1)  there's a league-wide salary cap

2)  a team can carry forward to the next year at least some of what they don't spend in the current year

3)  the Pats carried some over from last year to this and haven't spent to this year's cap

4)  Article 13, Section 6(b)(v) of the NFL CBA was crafted by lawyers and is therefore intentionally undecipherable

Can we agree on that?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

The whole premise is asking 4 rookies with two of them un drafted to replace the production of the 2012 group And THE PRODUCTION OF THE INJURY PRONE PLAYERS WHO WERE ALSO BROUGHT IN TO REPLACE LAST YEARS GROUP.

This is a nice story.  Too bad it doesn't vibe with when you said this:

[QUOTE]

You just don't dump 4 receivers at once and expect 4 rookies to take their place.

[/QUOTE]

and this:

[QUOTE]

4 rookies as plan A, b, c, d.

[/QUOTE]

You posted both of these things in this thread.  The first one was your original post for crying out loud.  Stop trying to rewrite history.  You are making shyte up like I said.  I'm not seeing what I want to see.  I'm seeing all there is to see.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

2)  a team can carry forward to the next year at least some of what they don't spend in the current year

3)  the Pats carried some over from last year to this and haven't spent to this year's cap

4)  Article 13, Section 6(b)(v) of the NFL CBA was crafted by lawyers and is therefore intentionally undecipherable

Can we agree on that?

Whole heartedly

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

Can we agree on that?

Whole heartedly

[/QUOTE]

Sweet flippin' mother of pearl - common ground!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

What don't some of you get about; IT'S OVER?

BB has bungled his way to a 36 year old Brady. Brady is no longer the young superman that can drag along a kicking and screaming mediocre supporting cast to the biggest of games. BB has blown it royally for years now with flub after flub.

Because of Brady's greatness decisions like, Maroney, Jackson, Meriweather, Thomas, Wheatley, Hill, Johnson, Klemm, Redmond, Williams, Graham, Watson, Warren, Hobbs, Crable, Chung, Brace, Butler, Cunningham and Dowling have been mitigated to an extent. But the overall mediocrity of the GM's performance has been a death blow to this team's once extra elite status.

Join the ranks of the many who have simply a shot at winning it all. Because mismanagement has ended the chances of having a great chance at the Lombardi. And when Brady is fully declined or retired the party is over. 2008 my azz. Learn the game!

Mediocrity doesn't cut it in the NFL!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

BB has bungled his way to a 36 year old Brady. Brady is no longer the young superman that can drag along a kicking and screaming mediocre supporting cast to the biggest of games. BB has blown it royally for years now with flub after flub.

Because of Brady's greatness decisions like, Maroney, Jackson, Meriweather, Thomas, Wheatley, Hill, Johnson, Klemm, Redmond, Williams, Graham, Watson, Warren, Hobbs, Crable, Chung, Brace, Butler, Cunningham and Dowling have been mitigated to an extent. But the overall mediocrity of the GM's performance has been a death blow to this team's once extra elite status.

Join the ranks of the many who have simply a shot at winning it all. Because mismanagement has ended the chances of having a great chance at the Lombardi. And when Brady is fully declined or retired the party is over. 2008 my azz. Learn the game!

All I can to this is:  wow!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

This is a nice story.  Too bad it doesn't vibe with when you said this:

[QUOTE]

You just don't dump 4 receivers at once and expect 4 rookies to take their place.

[/QUOTE]

and this:

[QUOTE]

4 rookies as plan A, b, c, d.

[/QUOTE]

You posted both of these things in this thread.  The first one was your original post for crying out loud.  Stop trying to rewrite history.  You are making shyte up like I said.  I'm not seeing what I want to see.  I'm seeing all there is to see.

Yes, that is part of it but The reason they are being dumped into it is because they replaced 80% of the receivers from last year  (Not just 2 as you say) AND the other receivers they replaced last years with, are also injured.

IE, Sudfeld is replacing Gronk who is injured and Hernandez  and Fells.  That alone is 3 receivers that used to be here,  Hooman was already part of the O and the only one left out of 4.  They now use zero 2 receiver sets........ because?????  Those two TE sets, snaps, went where?  To rookie receivers?

Branch gone replaced by rook.   This is the only one I agree with.  Replacing a #5-6 with a rookie is not detrimental to the rookie or the team.

Welker gone, replaced by always injured, Amadola replaced by rook

lloyd gone, replaced by rook    Didn't care  for him but....... he could help right about now

Woody (receiver) gone, replaced by oft injured, vereen, replaced by rook.  No reliability out of the backfield and no longer an option,........ because???????  Those pass attempts went where????  To Rookie receivers??

They would not be forced to start, unless BOTH were true.

That is the issue and that is my problem.

Instead of you telling me, that is not my issue when I know damn well that it is, why don't you prove THAT wrong. 

Go ahead and explain again, how 4 rookies replaced only two players and insignificant snaps.  Really?

[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Oh yes it does!

We are in the age of parity. The talent pool is spread out. Every team is some shade of average.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Can we agree on that?

I've read the relevant portions of the CBA and find the language ambiguous.  A few months ago, after a similar discussion here, I emailed both the NFL and NFLPA to ask for clarification but never got a response.  I've heard it can't be carried over indefinitely, but can't find any authoritative source to confirm that.  I think there is some logic to not allowing long-term carryover, since if indefinite carry over were allowed teams could accumulate big balances, which would essentially allow them to blow the cap out of the water in some years.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

[QUOTE]What don't some of you get about; IT'S OVER?

Oh yes it does!

We are in the age of parity. The talent pool is spread out. Every team is some shade of average.

[/QUOTE]

Then, your statement proves that BB isn't the genius many claim. Touche! LMAO

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily--we could have had the 5.6 million because we spent less than last year's cap (without the carryover from 2011, which I believe was 6.9 million) accounted for. I don't know where they ended up in team salary in 2011 or 2012 and it's pretty hard to know since we're not privy to all the little adjustments made during the year and between years (adjustments for incentives paid, for instance).  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[QUOTE]

Lots of silly fights to no purpose here.  

If you want to criticize BB for letting Welker walk and replacing him with Danny fine.  If you want to criticize him for booting Lloyd fine (although no one was really broken up about it when he got the boot from what I remember), but I'm not going to stand here and let pezz make shyte up and say that BB dismantled the top rated passing game and replaced them with rookies who he expected to take their place.  It is false and is the same type of exaggeration he has been peddling around here in his sensationalistic posts for years.  This is the same guy that said we had a bottom ranked defense for 7 years in 2012 and then actually tried to defend himself when I pointed out that we've had a top 10 ranked defense in terms of points and yards all the way through 2009. 

These are the facts.  BB let 3 major components of the passing game go this year.  Welker, Lloyd and Woody.  He had vets lined up to replace 2 of them.  Some are injured which is why the kids are getting more playing time.  That doesn't mean he expected the f'ing rookies to replace them.  Plus Hernandez wasn't expected to be gone.  End of story.

[/QUOTE]

My point, simply, is that the WR position (not TEs or RBs) has been thin for several years and hasn't been addressed effectively over that time.  I know you can run the passing game through your TEs and RBs, but in my opinion having decent WRs gives you better diversity and better ability to challenge the whole field. I'm fine with BB and his approach and I understand the constraints.  Nevertheless, I think letting the WR position remain thin for several years created a risk of something happening like what happened this year, where the TEs and receiving RB all ended up not being able to play and the WRs were mostly rookies.  The fact is, in the short term, our offensive skill players around Brady are poor.  I'm hopeful things will resolve themselves fine later in the season with healing and experience, but anyone who thinks that the offensive unit they put on the field Thursday was good is kidding himself.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if anyone will come back here to recant if the Pats don't implode and actually make the playoffs?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if anyone will come back here to recant if the Pats don't implode and actually make the playoffs?

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying they won't make the playoffs (though we might not if the receivers situation is not improved). I'm saying we have a 10% chance to win the SB, that could be a 50% chance if we had a better GM for the last 7-8 years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Sorry but this is too funny not to post.